Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is TSW the best MMO ever made?

MouthMouth Member Posts: 113

So.

Take a product launch of a new MMO. Look at what is available of tech and market opportunities. Consider inovation and budget. Can you compare a MUD of the 90s to a million-dollar investment AAA MMO like TSW. Not really. So to rephrase then - is TSW the best MMO ever made?

To me it is, but I also believe it will not be obvious to most people yet. Why?

The skill system grows and grows on you. Set-ups that crush some enemies don't work other places. Make builds for solo (and its subforms of survival, dps whatnot), grouping and pvp. Its the best skill system I've seen to date, my last favorite was guild wars 1. These are my subjective opinions.

The world and setting is just immensely original and such a fresh air in comparison to ELVES, MINOTAURS and LASERGUNS. Thank you.

The stories being told, the cutscenes which I usually skip, I don't skip at all. Most of those who play the game know why.

No false promises. Everything promised about the product is there. No false advertising.

Visual look like nothing else in the MMO marketing. Full DX11 with tesselation, there is in my opinion no launched MMO looking better, except arguably EVE which does a great job at what it does (though being way different). On my 64 bit it's super stable, but not so on my other 32-bit 4GB vista where is crashed like four times.

Crafting. Awesome system, whoever it is somewhat reduced by small polish issues such as the materials you break down (most everything you find you can break down into resources) don't have their quality tier in the name. Hopefully fixed soon.

Social. The other players appear MATURE and FRIENDLY, unlike many F2P games that I know.

The dungeons are the best in any MMO, i'll almost go objective on not be subjective. Please don't slam the dungeons here if you have not played through Polaris or Darkness War (which is even better). I've not played hell yet.

Replayability. With an almost endless array of skills that can be unlocked and three tiers of difficulty to all dungeons, mkay - there's a LOT of content here. On the hardest tier the boss tactics change, so it's not just a "dmg/hp buff" difference.

PvP - Fusang is just awesome. One could argue that world-pvp would be nice in some zones, personally though I am bored of being ganked while fighting mobs - but I do understand those that wish for it.

Innovation. The game does SO much new stuff, it dares so much. The genre, the skill system, the maturity. It is clear that the game is built by people who have worked in this industry a long time (Anarchy Online launched in 2001).

The quests: amazing and varied. Really underlining the point above about innovation. Investigations, stories, even EQ quests (Story quests) just telling you to go to a general area and work it out yourself - i love it.

Funcom is an independent developer. They don't have the marketing muscle of LucasArts or Blizzard.

In sum - to me, TSW is the best MMO ever made. Strong words, I know. Saying that does make my MUD, Everquest and Ultima Online heart bleed, cause all of them so so damn innovative too, and also sparked the same in me, love-wise, as TSW does. The feat of TSW today is what it is. A feat that moves the MMO genre forward.

Thank you.

Comments

• sonicbrewsonicbrew Member UncommonPosts: 515

Not even close

“Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.” ~ Italian proverb   

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156

No themepark will ever be the greatest mmorpg ever made. Sorry, i love TSW, but no.

EDIT: Ok, sandbox/themepark hybrid. Or something new. Waterpark? image

• Xstatic912Xstatic912 Member Posts: 365
    Not even close to best, but its good
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619

Lets see if you feel that way in 3 months

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

@ fredomSekerZ

I can say the same about sandbox mmo.. You have to find the right balance between the 2 styles..

Dev will never please everyone, and there will be short coming which each style.. Some will say TSW left out some simple features etc..

Its a matter of opinion really but the claim of best ever.... Nope just nope
  • FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156
    Originally posted by Xstatic912
    @ fredomSekerZ

I can say the same about sandbox mmo.. You have to find the right balance between the 2 styles..

Dev will never please everyone, and there will be short coming which each style.. Some will say TSW left out some simple features etc..

Its a matter of opinion really but the claim of best ever.... Nope just nope

Fair enough. I talking about a pure themepark without sandboxy features. The Repopulation for example does have quest, for what i know. Sorry if i didn't make myself clear. Also, we're talking about the best mmo ever made right?

• MouthMouth Member Posts: 113

I've played since beta, and the game DEFINATELY started off way lower with me than where it is today. It grows and grows and grows. I've not even touched content in Egypt nor Transylvania yet, only New England.

I would LOVE to see where you are in 3 months as well. Let's meet here in this subject and update each other (provided you play) in 3 months?

• Pale_FirePale_Fire Member UncommonPosts: 360

Fun game.  Not even close to being the best. 

@ TalonSin

You know I said the samething when I started to play..

will person still be playing as they do now.. Maybe then a LFG tool will be implemented, because we all know the short comings of the "trinity system", it just doesn't hold up well in the long run without a LFG feature involve..

They give you a freedom of choice but what if in that choice, hardly anyone wants to heal or tank...
  • RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991

No, but it's waaaay better than I originally thought. A themepark cannot ever be the best MMO ever, because only a game with no end, like EVE or WURM Online, is made to literally be played forever.

Joined - July 2004

• GargolaGargola Member Posts: 356

This is too much of a subjective topic.  And in any case, it's way too early.

It's a very good game, so far, and i see it staying in the good side of things in the long run.

But only time will tell.

• ValuaValua Member Posts: 520
    Originally posted by FredomSekerZ

No themepark will ever be the greatest mmorpg ever made. Sorry, i love TSW, but no.

Neither will a sandbox game, imo.

The "greatest MMORPG" is about opinion.

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

Not really. its just the newest wow-clone out, plays pretty much just like it, nothing special to see here really sadly. I was going to buy it till I played it and relized it was just yet another wow-like mmo with nothing really unique. I got bored pretty fast cuz like most mmo's that have come out since wow, it had to much of a "been there done that" feeling right from the start. I really don't know why people keep saying mmo's are great these days when every mmo is pretty much the same game in a new skin. Its kinda sad too because I had hopes for TSW.. I am just glad I didn't waste 50-60 bucks on yet another boring wow-clone mmo.

Though I do have to admit the setting is kinda nice and diffrent, and I really liked the UI, but not enough good points to TSW to warrant me buying it, not to mention the game is pretty piss-poorly optimized, and the load times are atrocious when you consider the graphics aren't all that great. MMO's have been on a sharp decline in quality/gameplay since wow came out, the devs just seem to be getting lazy. I've pretty much lost interest in the genre until it comes out of this cesspool of wow-cloning its currently stuck in.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

I'm having doubts that it will even reach the top 5, but glad you're happy with your purchase. Make sure to spend what you can at the cash shop too, the number of subs they are going to make on this game will not turn a profit and people need to support the games they love.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by Mouth

So.

Another gushing OP full of sky high praise for this game from a low activity recently reactivated account...

Seems they all are these days.

Now, if I was the cynical type...

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159
    Originally posted by Vesavius

So.

Another gushing OP full of sky high praise for this game from a low activity recently reactivated account...

Seems they all are these days.

Now, if I was the cynical type...

Or if I hadn't actually tried it, myself.. but yeah.  Give it some time, the truth always emerges before too long.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

Very much agree with Vhlan. And to the wow-lover above, remember the wow cloned anarchy online, from Funcom. AO created instancing in MMOs for one++ Wow cloned everything in a polished way = success. Later products will try to clone TSW, wait and see.

• majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

I didn't do much research on the game, but I read on another website, that it's fun, but features the same cookie cutter combat as most MMORPGs, and the same dumb monster AIs. Those two reasons are enough to make sure it's not the best MMORPG.

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

Why do we even go here?

ps. I really like the game

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• Asuran24Asuran24 Member Posts: 517

Thee fact is no mmo can be the "best mmo ever made", and here is why. The gamers are the exact reason why no mmo can ever take that title. Since to be the best that would entail that beyond just most of the playerbase would have to agree on this fact, almost 98% of the playerbase for mmos would need to agree for it to even stand a chance. Yet tastes will always vary with a large subset hating any mmo for one reason or another, not a sandbox, hybrid, themepark, or old school mmo will ever be the best mmo ever. Till they can make an mmo that appeals to nearly every single mmo player in almost all the ways it is made then maybe, but here is the thing what of the sandboxers tthat hate themeparks, or themeparkers that want a leisure game not a game they got to actual work to make their time and fun for. Also what about solo gamers, groupers, hhardcore pvpers, raiders, pvers, explorers, and the list goes on. As you can tell there is a huuge amount of people that a mmo would have to please and catter to really that it wouljd most likely cross one fo them as cattering too much to a worth group od toher gamers in thier game.

I am not asking what is the objectively best MMO ever made, that will most likely be the one netting the most cash/sales/players, I am asking what "YOU with MMO experience" think subjectively.

• KiljaedenasKiljaedenas Member Posts: 468

That is a profoundly subjective question. What some people love, others will hate and vice versa. It's all a matter of personal preference and point of view.

Where's the any key?

• Poison_AdelePoison_Adele Member CommonPosts: 287

Not...even close. Fanboyism, deactivate. I like the game and all, but it's a diamond in the rough...at best. It's an unpolished mess, and that's just the initial content. Who knows what the later content is like, or in the long run.

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

I am not asking what is the objectively best MMO ever made, that will most likely be the one netting the most cash/sales/players, I am asking what "YOU with MMO experience" think subjectively.

Way to earley for me to answer that honestly to myself. I really like the way they have designed TSW and I can see myself playing casually for a long time. I will have to wait and see how the development progresses.

History shows me that gaming companies can take something thats totally awesome, and turn it into a piece of poop.

I hope Funcom continues to build on  an awesome MMORPG that is TSW

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• IrusIrus Member Posts: 774

I believe EVE is the best MMO ever made, and I don't see TSW beating it.

This discussion has been closed.