Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: FINALLY!

Comments

• serapholseraphol Member Posts: 33

If you don't like PvP then you probably shouldn't choose Guild Wars 2. If you do, you only hurt yourself in choosing not to play. There will be endgame raid content, but the main focus is going to be PvP, and not just battlegrounds.

WvWvW, that's all I'm going to say.

• DracondisDracondis Member UncommonPosts: 177

My only concerns about an August release date is that the Asura and Sylvani are still not in the game, and a month and change is not enough time to release them and put them to work.  While the balance issues won't be a factor, and can be tweaked after release (and will be), I still feel that they should have put them into the beta before releasing the game to the world.  Hopefully they will.

• jbombardjbombard Member UncommonPosts: 598

I still find myself wondering what he meant by

"because when this game comes out there’s a good chance you won’t give any attention to other titles for a good long while" 

No doubt this game will suck me in, and I am sure it will be worth every cent... but nothing I have seen so far about playing at max level makes me think I will continue to play the game "for a good long while".  

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729
    Originally posted by Dakirn

The amount of hype for this game is going to leave a lot of people disappointed.

It's shiny now because you have so little access to it.  I'm honestly surprised that nobody even cares about how they got their "crumbs" that have been thrown to them once a month.

Everyone who pre-purchased when it was announced has literally funded the finishing of the game.  It'll be about 5 months after you purchased (and payed for) the game.  In return we got a few days to test it every month.

I see repeated posts about the evils of Funcom and Sony but none about ArenaNet and how this pre-purchase worked. 

The shine of this game is going to wear off quickly especially with all of the over-hype.  I already groan whenever I see yet another article on the game while there are literally hundreds of other MMOs on the market or in development.

I guess I'm just sad to read hype opinion threads over and over again.  I'm afraid the backlash of GW2 is going to be huge when it's not the holy grail so many think it's going to be.

Beta tested it many times just like alot of other players, I dont think the hype will dissapoint at all- We Want More

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• Mors-SubitaMors-Subita Member UncommonPosts: 517
    Originally posted by Illyssia

Bear this in mind, though, before you quit all your current games (unles Facebook ones)...ArenaNet have gone on the record stating that GW2 does not have an endgame. They didn't want the raid model in GW2, so if you like end-game raiding then WoW, RIFT, or SWTOR may be better bets as a game.

You are misinterpreting or misquoting, I believe. What they have said is that they don't want the game to be just filler that you have to get through before you get to the real game. The whole game is the real game. All of the content will stay relevant to you no matter how high you level. There ARE epic dungeons and world encounters, and open world "raids", in that you will need a minimum number of players to be able to compete against certain giant world-bosses once they are triggered.

Also, ArenaNet are very keen on the casual PvP set. Now that means you won't have stuff like arenas or ranked warzones either in GW2. 

You most definitely do have ranked PvP in guildwars 2. Look up info on their structured PVP. Group vs. Group arena or battleground style PvP with a full ranking system, and both player run and official tournaments.

Also, they have followed DAOC's model for their open world pvp/RvR/WvW, including bringing back relic raids and everything else...

So, while the game will be fun I think, I would play it as a secondary mmo and enjoy the game for a few months while you get through what it has to offer.

I think that it will give a LOT more content and play than many people are expecting... I expect it to last 8-9 months... and for many people, if the WvW stays as good as it looks like it will, then it will last years.

Just figure, DAOC still has quite a few people playing it, and many people played for 3-4 years after hitting max level, just on the strength of their RvR.

• Mors-SubitaMors-Subita Member UncommonPosts: 517
    Originally posted by Dracondis

My only concerns about an August release date is that the Asura and Sylvani are still not in the game, and a month and change is not enough time to release them and put them to work.  While the balance issues won't be a factor, and can be tweaked after release (and will be), I still feel that they should have put them into the beta before releasing the game to the world.  Hopefully they will.

They have had Asura and Sylvari races and areas playable at various cons during the last 2 years, so I don't doubt that they are complete and ready to go.

• ihatepugsihatepugs Member Posts: 61

The Sylvari and Asura content was internally tested by the beta testers that they trusted to maintain their NDA.  The open beta is nice for testing scaling problems, but any problems that occurred with massive events can easily be transferred and checked in content that wasn't revealed.  If they reveal all their cards to the open testers, then the game will be completely spoiled before it leaves the door.  That won't sell boxes.  It'd probably just bore the heck out of everyone playing the starting areas for those races.  

• RinkieRinkie Member Posts: 19

There is the final beta on 07/20 and 07/21 too.

GW2 does not have a Cleric or any Healing class. Most professions have some kind of heal they can throw out.

In addition, No matter what you do in GW2, one can receive XP, even if they are crafting. In all cases, you can jump into a group fight without being in a group and still receive the same xp as the other players. This cuts down on the whining that one has stolen their kill etc.

Remember, you all are fighting together as a team, together.  There are flashes on the screen that would say, “Scenario” (or something like that) is taken place near you. So, now you can run over there and start fighting..,

The only thing that bothered me was the fact I wanted to start a Ranger. Now, when you begin building your character, you select what path your profession wants to take. I wanted the path that offered the spell named, “Hunters Call”. The support had no idea what I was talking about and told me to ask other members or choose a path and find out…  So, I guess on July 20th and 21st, I will create all paths of the Ranger to find out which path the spell, “Hunters Call” is under.

Oh, there is no mana loss, so you can fire away as long as your hearts desires.  Yes, there will be bugs to be worked out; it’s a new game for goodness sake! Let’s all play and help out with our bug reports. I for one canceled my account with Dark Age of Camelot. I am sick and tired of all these hackers and people that use that illegal program named, “Radar”. If on needs to cheat in a game I can only imagine what they are like in real world.... LOSERS.

I found out all the information I was looking for :)

Here is a YouTube with Yogscast! These two Gents ae hysterical !!!! Just listen to the excitement in their voices!!! I LOVE it !!!

The creation of an Elementalist!

Watch an enjoy :)

• miramira2miramira2 Member UncommonPosts: 76
    Originally posted by nuttob
    Originally posted by Blindchance

Dakrin, for me GW2 squeezes out the most from what theme park tab-targetting MMORPGs can offer and serves in the best possible way. The combat is fun ( for once ) , the quest/grouping/chain events systems are fun as well. Top it with the nice level downgrading feature and rewarding exploration and I am happy.

I totally agree.  When I played the betas, one of the things that totally hooked me was the fact you end up in groups without having to be invited.  I am mainly a solo player, and found myself "grouping" more than in any other game I have played previously.  I am certain that I will be playing this game for a long time to come.

Agree. Been playing all the BWEs and loved every minute. Can't wait!

• wasim470wasim470 Member Posts: 243
    Originally posted by Mors-Subita

Bear this in mind, though, before you quit all your current games (unles Facebook ones)...ArenaNet have gone on the record stating that GW2 does not have an endgame. They didn't want the raid model in GW2, so if you like end-game raiding then WoW, RIFT, or SWTOR may be better bets as a game.

You are misinterpreting or misquoting, I believe. What they have said is that they don't want the game to be just filler that you have to get through before you get to the real game. The whole game is the real game. All of the content will stay relevant to you no matter how high you level. There ARE epic dungeons and world encounters, and open world "raids", in that you will need a minimum number of players to be able to compete against certain giant world-bosses once they are triggered.

Also, ArenaNet are very keen on the casual PvP set. Now that means you won't have stuff like arenas or ranked warzones either in GW2. 

You most definitely do have ranked PvP in guildwars 2. Look up info on their structured PVP. Group vs. Group arena or battleground style PvP with a full ranking system, and both player run and official tournaments.

Also, they have followed DAOC's model for their open world pvp/RvR/WvW, including bringing back relic raids and everything else...

So, while the game will be fun I think, I would play it as a secondary mmo and enjoy the game for a few months while you get through what it has to offer.

I think that it will give a LOT more content and play than many people are expecting... I expect it to last 8-9 months... and for many people, if the WvW stays as good as it looks like it will, then it will last years.

Just figure, DAOC still has quite a few people playing it, and many people played for 3-4 years after hitting max level, just on the strength of their RvR.

I don't want end game , and i don't care for it, if a game like wow and rift will force me to Grind 1to 80 no thank you, but what is what i see in GW2 is that the game will let me have fun from 1 to 80 and that's what i pay any game for, i don't get why would anyone play a game from 1to 80 if it's boring till end game :) what's the point, we all pay for full content and we all should get the fun in the full content.

it's like the games telling us ok buy the game and sub, after 2mnoths you'll sure have fun...............

• IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507
    Originally posted by Mors-Subita

The game in PvE is progression from 1-80. There is nothing new there as WoW and EQ offered similar things, dungeons and world bosses. The difference between WoW and EQ is that the end-game doesn't kick in at 80.

Which you can do from level 1, which means that in actuality there is no real PvP end-game here either. 

If you play the game very,very slowly it might last you 8-9 months, I think it will last me a couple of months.

I can see you are a massive fanboi. I think GW2 will be good, but I do have an idea what I will be playing in August. There is no end-game for PvE or PvP.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    A MMO of this quality does not come out often. To be honest WvW is so much fun I can see me going to a new MMO one day and still logging in weekly just to go WvWing. Its gona take something epic to take my focus away from this game. This is coming from someone who hated GW1. 14 years of MMOing and this is the most fun I have had.
  • daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381

Never liked GW and when i heard there will be GW2 have been interested like for last year snow. :-) However looking at videos of actually game play game looks completely different, more like Wow or if you prefer Rift, .... So I will for sure give it a try but I'm busy for now with another game for last half year and i do not feel any urge like before to try every new game out there.

• cgniuscgnius Member Posts: 18

I'm not gonna be touching GW1 and I'm even hesitant about pre-ordering before the last beta as part of me just wants to start the game completely fresh. Having said that I do need to see whether the game will perform well enough on my laptop (it should do anyway) and I should at least familiarise myself with the basics

• jayartejayarte Member UncommonPosts: 450

I've been waiting for this game for 5+ yrs since I first heard about it when I was playing Guild Wars and pointing out to my guildies aspects of that game which I would like changed.  I still remember someone saying, "but there will be GW2 and it will be different to GW, so maybe you'll like that better."

That comment sent me googling for any info, but way back then all you could do was sign up for a newsletter.  That was it; no other info for years!  Anyway, I've pre-purchased, played all the betas and stress tests and have loved the game so far.  Really looking forward to the next beta where I hope to finally decide on which class I want for my first playthrough. 

Having watched all the ArenaNet promotional videos etc I have the sense that the team working on this game have integrity and enthusiasm, and they certainly seem to have responded well to feedback from betas and stress tests.  Tyria is a lush, beautiful world just calling out to me for exploration, and I'm excited about release.

p.s.  None of the above means I expect GW2 to be perfect, simply that I anticipate enjoying it.

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341
    Originally posted by zellmer

HUNDREDS upon HUNDREDS of bugs and a lot of other problems including the obvious stuff like the other areas..

Seems like this could go very bad come launch day...

The hype will overide a lot of that, but they do detract a bit from the gaming experience. As I wrote above a solid secondary mmo, but with no end-game you may not be playing for so long. 

You are misinformed. If you're going to say they went on record to say something, then complete what it was you are paraphrasing. They said there is no ~technical~ endgame, because the entire game is meant to be endgame. You don't stop doing something because you outlevel it, because it's not actually possible to out-level it. There's no point where you get to the end of the game and now all you can do is the crap that MMOs normally make you grind (dailies/raids) because the entirety of the game is infinitely replayable and challenging. The concept of "end-game" was always a stupid one to begin with, all that effort goes into creating interesting storylines and world maps just for you to outlevel and ignore them by cap. Complete waste of time on everyone's end. 

As for your prior post where you mentioned casual PvP, I'm just going to lol at that one ;x unless you're one of those types that feels anything less than FFA is casual, GW2 is anything but. GW1 was a hardcore PvP Esport for years, with championships and people winning money and clout a la LoL/DoTA, and they're aiming to do the same with their sequel.

EDIT : Calling people massive fanbois like the one above that actually replied to you very respectfully is on the flip side, extremely disrespectful, trollish, and will get you reported with the quickness. If you're going to be disrespectful purely for the sake of doing so, you should suck whatever butt-hurt you have up and sit on the sidelines until you can handle an actual conversation.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• travamarstravamars Member CommonPosts: 417
    Originally posted by gaeanprayer
    Originally posted by zellmer

HUNDREDS upon HUNDREDS of bugs and a lot of other problems including the obvious stuff like the other areas..

Seems like this could go very bad come launch day...

The hype will overide a lot of that, but they do detract a bit from the gaming experience. As I wrote above a solid secondary mmo, but with no end-game you may not be playing for so long. 

EDIT : Calling people massive fanbois like the one above that actually replied to you very respectfully is on the flip side, extremely disrespectful, trollish, and will get you reported with the quickness. If you're going to be disrespectful purely for the sake of doing so, you should suck whatever butt-hurt you have up and sit on the sidelines until you can handle an actual conversation.

Its ok for you to call him a troll. But its not ok for him to call you a fanboi. Sad thing is this site probably agrees with you because they want to hype the game so bad.

• kinkyJalepenokinkyJalepeno Member UncommonPosts: 1,044

I like fish n chips !

Ok, I've just been on GW2 Wiki and found all the information I was looking for!

I am going to LOVE this game! Your play and spell styles change depending what type of weapoin one has in their main/left/off hand!  This is an entire new way of looking at a game and how to play an MMO!

Nope, no healer class. It took me awhile to figure this out!

• chryseschryses Member UncommonPosts: 1,453

I am buzzed as well.  I purchased a preorder and loved the beta weekend.  At first I was thinking this is really not my sort of game but once I started to understand the changes and tested out WvW PvP I was hooked.

I am normally into games like Fallen Earth or EVE but GW2 has something about it that has hooked me.  There are a ton of improvements to the usual MMO and the lack of trinity and addition of events really gives it a fresh feel.

The icing on the cake is BTP.  I can hammer this game for 3 months, take a break and then go back when I want more. I don't care about using a monthly sub up.  It means I can go back to Skyrim on the PC or Red Dead on PS3 for a change and not panic.

I have high hopes for GW2 and yes, Im buzzed.

• CromicaCromica Member UncommonPosts: 657
    Originally posted by Fangrim
    Originally posted by nuttob
    Originally posted by Blindchance

Dakrin, for me GW2 squeezes out the most from what theme park tab-targetting MMORPGs can offer and serves in the best possible way. The combat is fun ( for once ) , the quest/grouping/chain events systems are fun as well. Top it with the nice level downgrading feature and rewarding exploration and I am happy.

I totally agree.  When I played the betas, one of the things that totally hooked me was the fact you end up in groups without having to be invited.  I am mainly a solo player, and found myself "grouping" more than in any other game I have played previously.  I am certain that I will be playing this game for a long time to come.

First of all I am happy you like the game but you didn't join a group,you ran around solo doing what everyone else was doing in a zerg with little or no communication as in chat .For me its chaotic and the reason there is no point in grouping is no trinity no point to group.Everyone is dps dodge class.

After 6 years of raiding and having to spend so much time looking for x class just to do a dungeon this is the best thing about GW2.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Personally, this is the sigh of relief a lot of us have been waiting for, but I still see that there are some people complaining about end-game or lack thereof.  Sorry, but after WoW, I'd rather play an actual honest video game than be scammed into paying every month for the low low chance of getting a pair of boots all while not risking hurting a tank's feelings.  Do you think that's not just as stupid?

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Fangrim

First of all I am happy you like the game but you didn't join a group,you ran around solo doing what everyone else was doing in a zerg with little or no communication as in chat .For me its chaotic and the reason there is no point in grouping is no trinity no point to group.Everyone is dps dodge class.

No, you did that. You missed the group content such as the great dungeons.

How social is really any open world zones in a modern MMO? GW2 is more social than anything I seen since Lineage 1 at least. And even in the open world you will get a lot more out of the game if you create a group, and preferably run where the events doesn´t have 50+ players.

There are good reasons to group even in the open world but unless you did you missed them. The group dynamics are actually a lot more interesting than one would think before really trying them out.

Try group with some friends and run a dungeon, then we can discuss this again if you still feel that the group dynamics ain´t good enough.