Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Most disappointing MMO? [Poll]

Comments

• MMOarQQMMOarQQ Member Posts: 636

Warhammer, SWTOR & FFXIV.

• HaukenHauken Member UncommonPosts: 649

I chose SWTOR, simply becouse i expected so much more of that game. It was a huge disapointment.

Hauken Stormchaser
    I want pre-CU back
    Station.com : We got your game
    Yeah?, Well i want it back!!!

• IndolIndol Member Posts: 189

So to absolutely no one's surprise, SWTOR loses in a landslide. image

For expected justice!

• Heinz130Heinz130 Member Posts: 227

any game that is not a sandbox in nowdays is disapointing

WoW 4ys,EVE 4ys,EU 4ys
    FH1942 best tanker for 4years
    Playing WWII OL for some years untill now
    many other for some months

• HauvarnHauvarn Member Posts: 220

Really star wars was the biggest disappointment?  This kinda poll gets me down.

My biggest disappointment was warhammer online.  Having been a table-top fan while also dabbling in daoc, I got super excited about this game.  In the end what we got was an unfinished game with broken promises and a dev team who seemed to not care.  Oh the hype machine really killed off something great that day.

Yes I played SWTOR.

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770

No surprise...

The games that people felt were the biggest disappointments were the ones with the most hype and marketing.

• JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187

With SWTOR I at least played a character from start to finish story wise. So I had "some" value in it. Not much different than a single play title.

With TERA I payed a few bucks and got into the game.. Saw that it wasn't as good as options that are coming a few months later and lost interest. Flush 30 bucks. 

• GamerUntouchGamerUntouch Member Posts: 488

I wasn't dissapointed with SWTOR because I expected it to be bad.

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047

SWG was my biggest dissapointment, by far.  I don't think I've ever been that disappointed in a game before, and I know I haven't been since.

• LokbergLokberg Member Posts: 315

Took other and have to say  mortal online

• ArawulfArawulf Guest WriterMember UncommonPosts: 597

Warhammer.  It promised so much, and then nuked the company that made it.

• HellSingsHellSings Member Posts: 185

RIFT

• GorelikGorelik Member UncommonPosts: 13

Warhammer of course. Is the only MMO that I never paid a single month, just did the 30 days that comes with the box.

Was so hyped. They promised so many things.

The next MMO will be awesome. Until people reach the end game.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Warhammer online is what I voted for, but if STO was on the list it would be tied right there with it.

Both games should have been so much more than what they ended up being, pretty much standard fare theme park MMO's.

WHO should have been the 2nd coming of DAOC while STO's IP along could have lead to a virtual universe game of epic proportion.

Instead we get basic reskins for each....bleh.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Poison_AdelePoison_Adele Member CommonPosts: 287

I propose starting a new poll with TOR removed, and seeing what the results are then. I think a lot could be learned from that--TOR is kind of skewing the results. It was so overhyped, and everyone knows it's dead now. I think it would be far more informative and interesting to see what people think about the other games, without their clicking on the most obvious choice.

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

Think it says something that WAR is the only MMO there, other than TOR, to beat out "other"

Not sure how so many people could have been disappointed in TOR, when there were so many warning signs before it launched.  WAR though, that was my personal biggest disappointment in MMORPG history.  

I wonder if it'll ever come to light, what went so terribly wrong at Mythic, to go from DAOC to that.. Just EA?  I bet there's more to it.. but then again, maybe EA is all it takes.  Look at the number one position, afterall.  Doubt that's exactly coincidence.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619

I voted for Dark and Light.  EEEWWWWwwwwwwww

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

Why is there no FFXIV option?  How could the obvious winner of such a poll be absent?

• ZaltarkZaltark Member UncommonPosts: 437

lol Are the results skewed a bit?

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

Anarchy Online - worst launch in mmo history, very bug ridden

altho Ive heard Dark and Light was worse for being disappointing

• william0532william0532 Member Posts: 251

I voted for swtor, not because I hate it, or want it too fail, It just didn't feel all that starwars too me. I'm watching the site to see if the game can talk me back into playing, but nothing's really caught my eye between 1.2 and 1.3. I'm sure some people would love to tell me that an mmo can't launch with all sorts of bells and whistles, but swtor being bioware, and starwars I hoped for two different categories of things.

Bioware-

1.decisions that matter(nothing matters, your story does not change, the world does not change, your companions don't even change

2. Compelling story(I'm not really fragging on this one, cause I get that the game is made for 13 and up, but it just seems like an even more kid friendly pg-13, hell, tcw cartoon seems more adult oriented lol

3. Basically all that stuff bioware became known for with Kotor, jade empire, dragon age, (and not the sequels they sold off the rights too), and the first mass effect.

As far as starwars hopes, well I'm not going to explain them all, just list them(don't want to do a tl:dr)

1. No war in the stars(tunnel shooter bioware? go %%%% yourself)

2. No war anywhere in the game, pve or pvp

3. More mmo giant monsters, no battles between factions

4. No open world pvp(no reason to fight, how the hell did the peace treaty crumble? Hatred between the empire and republic over the last huttball tournament?)

5. The universe is full of different colored humans, no aliens of any form of interesting types what so ever.

6. You know what, just to keep it simple, theres really nothing that any other starwars game ever had(that was unique) in this game, it seems like the guidance lucas gave them was, it couldn't have been done in any other starwars game.

7. And a bunch more, but I'm flaming so I apologize and will quit.

Hopefully somewhere in the future, maybe in a couple years, TOR will have alot of starwars features in it cause I would love to play anything starwars.

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

I was hugely disappointed by Star Wars: The Old Republic. I had high hopes for the game. Against all logic, I was hoping Bioware would still have "it", even after they joined the evil empire, EA. But the Sith have already taken over. Dragon Age still managed to slip through, even if just barely and in an already highly crippled way. Capitalisms ugly face, profit greed, killed the "successor" if you can even call DA2 that. And SW:TOR, the main reason why the leadership of Bioware apparently wanted to join with EA, was another victim.

I was not at all disappointed by Age of Conan. It was exactly what the Wikipedia page described about it half a year before the release of the game. Thats why I never was interested in AoC in the first place. Then I talked with people who played AoC and to my suprised, they complained it was the game it was. They simply havent read a single halfway neutral article about it before playing. Like its Wikipedia page. Sadly other Wikipedia pages about games are in much worst state, though.

I wasnt disappointed by Darkfall for the exact same reasons and again people complained for the game being what it was. Duh. What did you expect ? A game where its a good idea to run around naked, where you farm CON for months to be competitive in PvP, and where you learn the best skilltree and stick with that, so everyone plays a tankmage. If you had read the information about the game with your brain still intact, thats exactly the kind of game one would have expected. Frankly I have no clue why people think such a game would be a good idea in the first place, but meh.

I was surprised how many people liked Aion. Personally I dont like a Lineage 2 with just 2 races, 8 classes, and engaged in RvR, no matter how much improved its graphics are. Still many people liked it in surprising amounts. Well, whatever, I never was interested.

I had expected Warhammer Online to be a way better and more successful game. But again, I dont like RvR, and I certainly dont like what I see when I check out the WAR classes, so I myself was never contemplating playing that MMO myself.

By the way, WoW is pretty muche same there. RvR. Ugly comic style graphics. Instancing all over the place. And so on and so forth. Thanks, but noooo thanks.

I never was interested in TERA, The Secret World, or DC Universe, so meh. Seriously, playing Superheroes in a MMO ?!? Nah.

• GMan33GMan33 Member UncommonPosts: 79

Oh by far, the most disappointing is SWTOR. I mean were not talking about a bad game, were talking about a game, that was "expected" to do very, very good....but then turned out to be an utter disaster. And that is SWTOR. When you have the IP of Star Wars, the supposed quality and genious of Bioware, and the financial backing from EA....you would expect...shit....this game is gonna be great!

Well, when you attempt to copy EXACTLY the biggest mmo that is called World of Warcraft, which is the pinnacle of MMOs, and will NEVER be dethroned, only by itself or just by prolonged time that people will move on......well then you just set yourself up for disaster.

And SWTOR launched with SOOOOOOOOOOO many missing BASIC features that ANY mmo should have at launch in 2011/12.....i mean cmon. What dumbass thought they can get away with that?!?!

SWTOR will stand to all other companies of how NOT to make an MMO and hope to rival WOW.

Did i have fun with SWTOR? Sure 1-50, the first time. By i dont play an MMO for just "story" and be done with it. I play an MMO for the long term...and SWTOR has one of THE worse endgame features in existance....which is basically no features and no incentives to really keep playing (there idea is to make you keep making alts so you dont play the end-game because they know its extremely limited).

Anyways yeah....SWTOR the most disappointing MMO in history considering what it had going for it.

• loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944

i voted for Warhammer cause its has a lovely lore and a huge background for units/characters etc, and they ruined all that just to make a WoW clone ... : /

also SwtoR was close, but even from betas you could see the fail ..!

at Warhammer case i was young and couldnt judge well the betas ... after Aion i knew what to except from every MMO ...

sadly GW2 blown our mind away

• WeretigarWeretigar Member UncommonPosts: 600

I picked other, which is FF14. I was a huge FF fan tell they took out fun minigames and free roam air and vehical travel. It's been a disapointment ever since FF10+