Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Game looks like Garbage on a LCD

ShiotcrockShiotcrock Member Posts: 87

I first played the game the first couple of years on a CRT but on a LCD it looks all washed out especially Fardark I couldn't even play the game. I supect alot of older games like DAOC and EQ II any game that uses old simple engines will look bad on a LCD.

Fardak the starting area looked  like a radioactive eyestrain haven like I said this game looks nice on a good CRT it was probally made on a CRT.

Comments

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Never noticed any issues running this on my old 22" LCD..

Also tried it a few months back and i currently have my pc running through a 32" 1080p TV and it looked fine..

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

Sounds to me like you need to get a better LCD. Seriously, I'm not trying to troll. CRT is a dead old tech and nothing recent should ever look worse. If I see a CRT for anything now I just cringe, they are blurry, bulky and just plain awful. 

Either that or you need to adjust your color settings.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • IchmenIchmen Member UncommonPosts: 1,228

umm given its age CRTs were the prime monitor during its time.. back when a 15" CRT was boss with its 1064x res... expecting older games to conform to newer tech is like expecting a ford model T to out run an Indy Car... then saying it was built for 1910's as to the reason the model T lost...

did you atleast try and tweek the graphic settings before saying its crap??

alot of older games do not like newer graphic drivers, i find AOE2 graphicly looks horrible on my newer tech rig over what it was when it was new. as the graphic settings really arent even supported that well anymore

• Hordequester8Hordequester8 Member Posts: 54

Looks fine on my LCD. It's your hardware or settings not the game.

• gurugeorgegurugeorge Member UncommonPosts: 481

You must have it on default settings.  Click the "Advanced" button top right in Options, there's a whole bunch of settings you can whack up to Maximum, which should be easily handleable on a modern comp.   There's also GPU shadows, all sorts of stuff you can fiddle about with.

It actually holds up very well for an 8 year old game.

• Greyhawk4x4Greyhawk4x4 Member UncommonPosts: 480
    Originally posted by KamiKazeTG

Looks fine on my LCD. It's your hardware or settings not the game.

This is the correct answer.

• mymmomymmo Member UncommonPosts: 311

It looks garbage on a lcd. I too can confirm this. And no, its not my 30" synmaster 305t or my workstation with a 30" screen named Dell UltraSharp that has issues.  Anes yes, Ive fooled around with the "advance" graphic settings in the game and also the .cfg that ppl on the forums are pointing towards when this is brought up. 

Eve online and +1500 steam games in the back cataloge makes me a stressed out gamer.
  • CasualMakerCasualMaker Member UncommonPosts: 862

It looks fine on an LCD screen. I too can confirm this. The game may not be to your taste, but that's an entirely different issue.

You could also try changing the settings on your monitor. I just got a new ASUS after my old Synchmaster 245BW abruptly quit, and it has a mode button for Standard, Movie, Game, and a few others settings. I haven't played with it much, but I noticed that Standard seemed a little washed-out compared to Game.

• BullseyeArc1BullseyeArc1 Member UncommonPosts: 410
    Originally posted by Shiotcrock

I first played the game the first couple of years on a CRT but on a LCD it looks all washed out especially Fardark I couldn't even play the game. I supect alot of older games like DAOC and EQ II any game that uses old simple engines will look bad on a LCD.

Fardak the starting area looked  like a radioactive eyestrain haven like I said this game looks nice on a good CRT it was probally made on a CRT.

Alot can be issues with your card, high end cards can make the most crappy game look good if its supported.

• gboostergbooster Member UncommonPosts: 712

Turn up the anisotropic filtering to 16x.

Make sure the video card driver filter quality is set to highest quality.

• ShiotcrockShiotcrock Member Posts: 87

The way I think it is..... When they chose the colors for the game they used colors that would pop out.

On a CRT monitor that is.......

Did I try turnning the settings down Nope I uninstalled it before that but I'm downloading it once again to see if turnning the settings way down will make the game look more comfortable to the eyes.

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    Disable your "personal torch" and it seems to look better, at least to me.  I think it's ALT-L to toggle it on and off.

You make me like charity