Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If WoW went free to play it would destroy guild wars 2.

nomatics856nomatics856 Member UncommonPosts: 219

Sad state of fairs this is true, I do not like WoW not for its gameplay I think its fun, but I do not think it needs to be pay to play nor does any mmorpg out here today, no mmorpg is worth it, none of them offer the sense of exploration or adventure or extreme content generating that games like UO or EQ had, basically WoW is now a 3D lobby where you want to que in with other players to take down a boss or do a dungeon run, why am I paying 15$ a month for this again? And not just WoW but every other new mmorpg out there today.

Mostly instanced, short lived crap. Thats whats wrong with WOW its no longer that go out and explore find new people, content generating game that it use to be, matter fact vaniella WoW was the closest we had to a sandbox game in a long time. Now its just go in walk around  town and wait to be instantly put in a dungeon, the dungeon runs are great, but its not worth 15 a month, if it went F2P it would dominate gw2.

Comments

• GameboyMarcGameboyMarc Member UncommonPosts: 395

I don't think it would kill Guild Wars 2. 

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    Originally posted by nomatics856

Now its just go in walk around  town and wait to be instantly put in a dungeon, the dungeon runs are great, but its not worth 15 a month, if it went F2P it would dominate gw2.

Wow is dead to me. 

• AuzyAuzy Member UncommonPosts: 611

WoW uses the same format as Global Agenda....

Uhh... what?

• CarnafexCarnafex Member Posts: 49

Does it make sense that WoW is losing subs because of $15 a month ?

• DraftbeerDraftbeer Member UncommonPosts: 517

People are still playing WoW?

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156
    Originally posted by Carnafex

No. It loses subs/players because it's a themepark, just like GW2 will after a few months.

To te OP, WOW doesn't need to F2P to destroy GW2 or any other mmorpg. It's been doing ti for years and will keep doing so for the forseable future.

• HurvartHurvart Member Posts: 565

I dont think it would make any difference for GW2. People that wants to play GW2 think it is a better game and expect to have more fun. Or they have played WOW to much and are burnt out from it...

• DunworthDunworth Member UncommonPosts: 29

If vanilla WOW went free I agree..

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

I don't think anything will kill WoW except maybe Titan when it comes out. Just like GW1 will be a ghost town after GW2 comes out, WoW will be empty too when Titan comes out.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Originally posted by FredomSekerZ

No. It loses subs/players because it's a themepark, just like GW2 will after a few months.

To te OP, WOW doesn't need to F2P to destroy GW2 or any other mmorpg. It's been doing ti for years and will keep doing so for the forseable future.

Its funny people cry out 'themepark' yet you don't see any Sandbox games that are a smashing success. The closest you can get is minecraft which, really isn't an MMO. You CAN get in a server with over 100 people but there are few servers with that many people. Sandboxes aren't as successful because they tend to be far more picky with players. One man's sandbox is another man's trash pile, and once you miss out on the initial rush you are forced to jump in the sand box and sit in one little square block while watching others have control of the rest of the box, something people don't like considering its near impossible to ever catch up.

• AvanahAvanah Member RarePosts: 1,615
    Originally posted by Badaboom

Now its just go in walk around  town and wait to be instantly put in a dungeon, the dungeon runs are great, but its not worth 15 a month, if it went F2P it would dominate gw2.

Wow is dead to me. 

GW2 is THE WoW Killer for me. :)

"My Fantasy is having two men at once...

One Cooking and One Cleaning!"

---------------------------

"A good man can make you feel sexy,

strong and able to take on the whole world...

oh sorry...that's wine...wine does that..."

• HayasaHayasa Member UncommonPosts: 29

So you play WoW and want it to be free. Then you come here with your idea with the delusion of blizzard reading it and saying "that makes sense" and play WoW for free.

[mod edit]

WoW's players are already there, free or not.

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

woah... You seriously think that's the only problem wow has? The monthly sub?!

I wouldn't touch wow with 10 miles long stick... It's ruined beyond repair, not even a F2P conversion can save that game anymore...

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

The rotting husk of WoW has been devouring it's disciples for years (buh-bye SWTOR), but it's losing its teeth everyday.  And GW2 isn't one of it's followers.  Never was.

Sorry, but WoW won't be what plants this game in its grave. 

• xmentyxmenty Member UncommonPosts: 718

If WOW went F2P, I will still not play WOW.

Rather be playing GW2 ,Planetside 2 and some other new MMO ( If its B2P or F2P only ).

Pardon my English as it is not my 1st language :)

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156
    Originally posted by Purutzil

Its funny people cry out 'themepark' yet you don't see any Sandbox games that are a smashing success. The closest you can get is minecraft which, really isn't an MMO. You CAN get in a server with over 100 people but there are few servers with that many people. Sandboxes aren't as successful because they tend to be far more picky with players. One man's sandbox is another man's trash pile, and once you miss out on the initial rush you are forced to jump in the sand box and sit in one little square block while watching others have control of the rest of the box, something people don't like considering its near impossible to ever catch up.

Fair enough. I was mostly refering to the fact that since sandboxes are usually player driven games they have far greater longevity while themeparks are always the same. Consume content and hope for devs to place more or leave.

But you're right. I do know sandboxes aren't very mainstream from the lloks of it, but that wasn't the intention of my post. Also, this is off topic.

Anyway, WOW doesn' havet to go F2P. It's still the biggest mmorpg on the planet with an insanely dedicated playerbase.

• lotapartylotaparty Member Posts: 514

it might be overstatement at this time but i think wow has already killed guild wars 2 .

• xenogiasxenogias Member Posts: 1,926

People leaving WoW generally arent doing so because of the $15 a month. If you are tired of the game and looking at other games being free has nothing to do with it. I know I would not go back to WoW even if they wanted to pay me for it. I just dont like it anymore. But I am going to give GW2 a shot. If I stick with it is another topic but even if I do not, I would not go back to WoW.

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685

This thread is silly.  WoW is killing EVERY mmo out there right now, and it's P2P.  o.0

• bleyzwunbleyzwun Member UncommonPosts: 1,087

I left WoW because of the extreme repetitiveness involved.  Grind out gear, get gear, right after you get your set a new set comes out.  Grind out rep, max rep, new rep comes out.  Another reason was that gear meant everything.  I would have probably stuck with WoW a lot longer (which was pretty long) if they focused more on content (especially PvP) than new ways for you to grind. 

Don't get me wrong, I like getting rewards.  What I don't like is, in order for you to keep enjoying the game you had to grind your ass off.  What this did for me was, take something I thought was fun, and made it into a job.  It gets to the point where you are no longer playing to have fun.  You are working in order to have fun later, only to go through the very same process again, and again.  

One of the reasons other games didn't last nearly as long for me was because they copied this formula.  

You might be right that WoW would destroy GW2 if it went free to play.  At the same time, do you really think everything they would sell in their cash shop would be fluff items?  If they were nothing but fluff, you can bet a RMAH would be implemented.  To top that off, I'm sure they would go with a tiered system similar to F2P EQ2, which will basically gimp you in a few ways.  We won't have that problem in GW2.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

if i recall,when they planned to lunch wow ,they toyed with the idea of lunching like diablo(2 back then)

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584

Sad state of fairs this is true, I do not like WoW not for its gameplay I think its fun, but I do not think it needs to be pay to play nor does any mmorpg out here today, no mmorpg is worth it, none of them offer the sense of exploration or adventure or extreme content generating that games like UO or EQ had, basically WoW is now a 3D lobby where you want to que in with other players to take down a boss or do a dungeon run, why am I paying 15$ a month for this again? And not just WoW but every other new mmorpg out there today.

Mostly instanced, short lived crap. Thats whats wrong with WOW its no longer that go out and explore find new people, content generating game that it use to be, matter fact vaniella WoW was the closest we had to a sandbox game in a long time. Now its just go in walk around  town and wait to be instantly put in a dungeon, the dungeon runs are great, but its not worth 15 a month, if it went F2P it would dominate gw2.

LOL course he would, also imagine the first MMO be F2P what revolution it would become.

no serious now, only reason WoW is still "top" is because they made it so easy so no need to think, it become mainstream and even people who never played a video game or kids with parents who let then play 1 hour a day and complain they can't do much so blizzard make it even more easy.

I really miss the old times, now we have people who says they are nerds, nerds who don't even know who darth vader was, who don't like to learn, that is morons using the word just because play one game who is not great at 1st day and make it poassible to be worse to gather the too lazy to think to play MMO.

yeah it helped so much the genre, I mean its not like we have over 10 years of stalement and lack of criativity.

FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • Heinz130Heinz130 Member Posts: 227

being free will not make wow a bettr game

WoW 4ys,EVE 4ys,EU 4ys
    FH1942 best tanker for 4years
    Playing WWII OL for some years untill now
    many other for some months

• ValuaValua Member Posts: 520
    Originally posted by Draftbeer

People are still playing WoW?

More than half of the entire western MMO players play WoW actually :)

No other game even comes close.

You're snide remark wasn't funny or intelligent :D

• korat102korat102 Member Posts: 313

I can't speak for everyone else of course but I got nothing out of WoW at all. I tried it, lasted about a fortnight before the childish graphics and boring gameplay got the better of me. Some people like it, I don't understanhd why but I don't feel a need to criticise them for their choice...