Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blizzard admits failure of Diablo 3 end-game

MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188

Ouch! Does not look good for Diablo 3 for the long term.

Source: http://www.incgamers.com/2012/07/blizzard-admit-failure-of-diablo-3-end-game/

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

Comments

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662
    Honestly, I was never expecting a "endgame" for D3. I meant yeah it's a ARPG that has a online requirement, but it's no where near mmorpg quality. Maybe this is confusing some people?

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188

I personally think end-game is a facade anyway. This game just wasn't fun enough like D1 and D2 was to continue playing for the long term. They made WoW lite instead of a Diablo game.

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401
    Originally posted by Ramonski7
    Honestly, I was never expecting a "endgame" for D3. I meant yeah it's a ARPG that has a online requirement, but it's no where near mmorpg quality. Maybe this is confusing some people?

It doesn´t need to be a MMO to have a good end game....

Diablo 2 was offline game and a lot of people still play it.

D3 It´s just crappy designed.

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123
    Originally posted by Mephster

Source: http://www.incgamers.com/2012/07/blizzard-admit-failure-of-diablo-3-end-game/

They already have the money of all the Diablo fans. 

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380

I got D3 expecting a short term fun gaming.  While I did have fun, it was for a lot less time what I was hoping for.  Now I'm looking for something to tie me over until GW2 August 28. 

PS:  Vanguard is not yet f2p so I will hold off on that but I have been hearing that DayZ is pretty fun.  Any recommendations?

• RedempRedemp Member UncommonPosts: 1,136

They didn't admit to much, they subtlety chalk it up to being the "item hunts" fault. What they should have said was ...

" We made the item hunt,  end game you all were looking forward to a pita, we destroyed that which was fun in Diablo 1 & 2 all in an effort to support our RMAH system. We are sorry , so sorry , please forgive us for destroying the Diablo franchise. "

• Kaynos1972Kaynos1972 Member Posts: 2,316

It's a single player game.   Blizzard is trying to make this into some sort of MMO just to milk cash from players using the RMAH.   How to milk players cash endgame ?  

Make endgame difficulty so high that you need epic beyond epic gear, make the drop rate of these items so low that peoples are forced to pay real $$ for gears.  That's what diablo 3 is about, buying your gears.

Personally i could care less about playing this game again.  I paid 50$ for a game and got around 100 hours out of it.  I think it's money well spent.   I uinstalled the game last month and i dont see myself re-installing it ever.

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662

I personally think end-game is a facade anyway. This game just wasn't fun enough like D1 and D2 was to continue playing for the long term. They made WoW lite instead of a Diablo game.

That's just it. I'm sure it's fun for many people who are discovering ARPGs for the first time. And they'll be playing for years to come. But why people would compare features found in a mmorpg to what D3 is SUPPOSE to be and fail to mention that neither D1 or D2 has endgame content is being more than a little unfair. I understand some players desires for wanting more from these developers but if every game was perfect why would you bother trying anything else out? Players would just have 1 game per genre installed on their systems...now tell me how crazy it that? Is it more or less crazy to believe that there are players that enjoy games you don't?

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• DrWookieDrWookie Member UncommonPosts: 263

Ya I think the sad part is they are chalking it up to the "item hunt not working". It's not the item hunt...its the auction house stream-lining the hunt too effectively. An "item hunt" end-game worked just fine for Diablo 2...last I checked a lot of people still play it. The problem is when you make all those items that you want people to "hunt" for easily accessible (auction house) people instead just grind for the gold or pay the money and you lose the huge time-sink that is the item-hunt. Granted I haven't actually reached inferno (the game hasn't held my attention well enough...I'm not yet finished through nightmare and I can't imagine going through the exact same story 2 more times anytime soon), even in the lower levels the items that drop rarely replace anything I have purchased with gold on the auction house...so there really isn't even an item hunt at all. I still pick up al the magic/rare items that drop but merely to sell them. I think that is also what makes the grind so painful...I'm not doing ANYTHING to my character as I work my way up because A. The leveling system is 100% automatic...I found a nice setup that I like and I haven't changed it in 20 levels because it works B. The items I get myself on the auction house are far superior (and more easily obtainable) than any items I've ever encountered as drops so I'm never equiping new items as I'm running through dungeons. At the end of a play session I've basically just amassed X more gold which I can use on the auction house (I haven't spent any money in that place and never will).

I remember in Diablo 2 just SEEING certain items in game (being able to look at them and the stats on them) was rare...some items were just that exclusive. The auction house even ruins that mystique.

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805

The item hunt/build experimentation in Diablo 2 was enough to keep that game running for 10 years. The comment just shows how out of touch Blizzard is. The implementation of skinner box mechanics is just amateurish with a failure to understand what made D2 addictive

• DrWookieDrWookie Member UncommonPosts: 263
    Originally posted by Starpower

The item hunt/build experimentation in Diablo 2 was enough to keep that game running for 10 years. The comment just shows how out of touch Blizzard is. They implementation of skinner box mechanics is just amateurish with a failure to understand what made D2 addictive

It is rather surprising... as I followed development on D3 the more I heard the more i started thinking "Do they really not understand why Diablo 2 was so addictive?". They kept removing everything that links you to your character...which removes the fun and dedication involved in making a hero like in Diablo 2. WIth no choices, and easily accessible items in the auction house all you are left with is the "gameplay" which even in Diablo 2 was rather basic and uninspired. Did they think people really just enjoy playing the same short story multiple times in a row on various difficulty levels? That isn't why people played Diablo 2 and it's rather sad that they didn't realize that.

• huskie77huskie77 Member Posts: 354

D3 end-game is DLC.

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379

Actiblizzard had already lost a lot of respect, in my eyes, for some of the decision/money grab moves they made before releasing this pile o crap. They released a game that was streamlined to the point where the actual games content was short lived and not that well done. The game was way to short and the world was not that large nor randomized. You mean to tell me that a development comapany can release a game in seperate pieces  or as I see it, incomplete(SC2) because there was to much content to squeeze into a single purchase can then turn around and misjudge this badly by selling people a game that has little in the way of content. I agree with those saying the games core was flawed by designing to support the RMAH. By thinking of things in that light and seeing the dollar signs, they forgot to include the real game that people thought they were paying for. I beat the game relatively quickly and haven't found it more entertaining running through it on tougher difficulties. I'm not really mad seeing as how this is the second big name to release what I feel is a shitty product (Bioware). 

Now before the supporters bash me, this is merely my opinion and I am aware that there are those that are enjoying the game. I commend them for their lower standards and expectations.

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

• PanDaZmOOPanDaZmOO Member UncommonPosts: 49

I'm still trying to figure out how anyone can claim this game as a WoW clone.. Not even remotely similar.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,627

Ummm, that was a good read and a good thing to hear... nothing bad going on in that article.  Says we are going to get some cool new mechanics but not WoW raiding which is what none of us Diablo fans ever wanted to begin with.  I wasn't looking for WoW 2.0 I was looking for D3 and got exactly that.

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• PainlezzPainlezz Member UncommonPosts: 646

Diablo 3 is a Buy2Play single player (mostly) action RPG.  If you get 20-30 hours out of it you've gotten your moneys worth.

They didn't release nearly enough content.  You can clear the entire game Acts 1 - 4 in a single sitting on a weekend.  Act 4 is a joke with almost no content at all and i'm pretty sure ZERO random events.  If they really wanted this game to be more enjoyable and last longer they should have included more content. 

I'm sure anyone who followed development knows they scrapped feature after feature from the game as it got closer to release.  What we have now is only a small portion of what the game initially had.

It was fun for a few days.  Time to move on. 

• lovehina21lovehina21 Member UncommonPosts: 56

Good.

I'm glad to see someone realizes the truth about D3, and im fortunate enough a friend of mine purchased the game for me.

--Auction House Ruined item hunting (now u know exactly what stats are good. before u could get an item and think its amazing until u get the same item again with even better stats)

--No skill points, All classes learn ALL skills and this takes out Build leveling. (lets stack all lvls into 1 skill just to see how much damage this one move can do)

--No joining games from a list.  Computer randomly finds a game for you tojoin by which quest your in.

that last one we can talk about.  WIthout being able to pick games alot of "mmo" is lost because people made games simply called

all join tradezzzzzzzzzzz****

this would be a game just for showing items and trading + chatting.  the Auction House plus the fact we are unable to create games took this away.

PvP-  joining someones game and hostile everyone was fun.  U could get a bunch of low levels rerolling OR you could get an actual OP character that ends up returning the favor.  PEOPLE droped money when they died so instead of gold farming lets PVP!!!!  Even when pvp is released it will be in form of an arena and it wil be team death match style with respawn.  In an interview the guy said so,(google d3 interview pvp its on youtube) therefore no sence of real excitement of winning a battle if simply il respawn and finish you off, repeat for 5 minites and see who got more kills.

boring.

I was done playing diablo 3 after beating it in normal.

yes i forced myself to get to inferno but it was a chore, playing the game again was no different then doing homework.

= Scent to bed =

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

Probably IS confusing people, possibly people that were introduced to the genre by WoW and just expected the same from D3 without having played the first two installments?

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

I still cant get my head around, how long they took to produce what is IMHO a piece of rubblish. Who was that lead dev who resigned a few months ago? Guy probaly had some ethic's

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

Originally posted by Slampig

Probably IS confusing people, possibly people that were introduced to the genre by WoW and just expected the same from D3 without having played the first two installments?

Nope. I played the original and I was a pretty big fan hence the reason I even bothered buying 2 copies to try it out even though I didn't like the direction it was headed. While we can discuss pros and cons of core system design to ad nauseum, you cannot claim that all of the unhappy consumers are just upset because we expected WoW in a  diablo setting. While I could have chosen not to buy the game based on the RMAH and online only among other questionable decisions, I could not know that the game was so lacking in the content and other things that kept me playing D2 for as long as I did. 

BTW, notice my arguments weren't about how D3 wasn't D2 with a fresh coat of paint? That means before you justify peoples unsatisfaction by claiming they are either unhappy because the game was A) not WoW o..r  B) not D2, look at some of the complaints against D3. The game is shallow period. I expected D3 and what I got was greed and lazy design with a fresh coat of paint. While you may enjoy it and continue to support them, I can say we will just agree to disagree.

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351

D£ has an end-game?

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188

Inferno is actually end-game content because it is meant for gold sellers I mean players to go farm so Blizzard makes money.

• Xstatic912Xstatic912 Member Posts: 365
    Do person really except a game base solely on getting the best loot to have end game progression... Hmmm
    Originally posted by Xstatic912
    Do person really except a game base solely on getting the best loot to have end game progression... Hmmm

For a single player game, or a game thats built on multiplayer aspects like your typical FPS..... no.   

But in all fairness if we based this game on it's story and ending, like you would with any other non MMO, then some of us would really feel cheated by Blizzard.

• SoulSurferSoulSurfer Member UncommonPosts: 1,024

lolrmtauctionhouse