Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ultima Online: The Beginning

Comments

• DemenshaDemensha Member UncommonPosts: 76

Good read, tho you didnt name your character. Look forward to next installment.

On a side note , whats this i hear you played past age of shadows? FOR SHAME. Here catch....Cor por   Cor por

• mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,625

Vas Ort Flam, Cor Por, Hally Hit, Kal Vas Flam

• GettCoupedGettCouped Member UncommonPosts: 47

This doesn't seem to be about Ultima Online.  More of a story.  Cool writing tho.

• PokketPokket Member Posts: 80
    Originally posted by Demensha

Good read, tho you didnt name your character. Look forward to next installment.

On a side note , whats this i hear you played past age of shadows? FOR SHAME. Here catch....Cor por   Cor por

In Vas Mani - Vas Ort Flam - In Nox - Cor Por

Age of Shadows wasn't too bad IMO. I enjoyed Samurai Empire, as well. After all... I was a dismount archer tamer. I had spirit speak, archery, taming, animal lore, Busido, Resist Spells, etc... I had such a weird skill set. Most of which weren't maxed, but I faired extremely well.

Youtube: PokketProductions | Twitter: @Pokketsays | Facebook: Pokketsays
  • YellowbearddYellowbeardd Member UncommonPosts: 83

You are trying to hard to be artistic and makes the reading boring.

• jeremyjodesjeremyjodes Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 679

Ahh yes the good old days!. was sorta fun but was nothing special. I remember playing utima 7 blackgate though and loved that game way back in the day. so when UO was found by me I went nuts.

I also remember dropping stuff and making blockades. I admit I was a freshman and was high allot at the time. UO lead to to in time SWG were old raph was  making cool stuff. i had numerous conversations with him way back though. 

Amazing pokket played UO!

anyways, good read.

• YellowbearddYellowbeardd Member UncommonPosts: 83

Trying toooo hard at being artistic . and it's leaves the reader bored , and don't delete the comment , ever hear of construcive critism? If not you will never be a good writer.

• ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372

nod

• BallantinBallantin Member Posts: 2

Ultima Online was my first MMO...

I started to play on the old times, when only Felucca was there, when you need to take care of when and where you are going, and recall runes are a must!!! And i remember the amazing and bloody fights.

When AoS came, and after stacking some artifacts, i joined a PK guild (if you was in Europa server, maybe you remember AI), and i was all the time on Felucca either, contributing to keep this wild side of the world the way it should be :) Old times that i like to remember, this game will be on my heart forever...

When WoW was released, most of my clan leaved to join the new Blizzard game, so i did it too, but i maintained my UO active for another year or so. I some times feel the need to reactivate it, and maybe i will some day.

• marcustmarcust Member UncommonPosts: 495

My UO tale as Marcus Alberton.

Please note I do not host this site and take no responsibility for it.

http://looter.4t.com/57.htm

Playing: Darkfall New Dawn (and planning to play Fallout 76)
    Favourite games have included: UO, Lineage2, Darkfall, Lotro, Baldur's Gate, SSX, FF7 and yes the original Wizardry on an Apple IIe

• HodoHodo Member Posts: 542

This is when people used to actually ROLEPLAY their online character, or avatar, not just power level and grind through life in search of the next hot loot or end game zone.   I have come to the conclusion games like Ultima Online arent dead, the players that played them are.    Now the gaming market is flooded with kids and I am not talking age.  These are people who dont know what it is to truely play a roleplaying game MMO or pen and paper.  They have had everything handed to them in life, and only want the end game content.   They dont want to work at it, play the game, be part of the game world or story.   They create names like "beefmarine" or "Godly", "1337zor" or some other bad gamer tag that shows no imagination.   They often come from such places as 4Chan, SomethingAweful.com, or the old AOL chat rooms.  

I realised that many of us "oldschool" gamers arent chasing old games, we are chasing a different class of players to play with, mature people not children.

So much crap, so little quality.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,627
    Originally posted by Talonsin

You honestly dont look old enough to have played UO.  At least not when it was in its prime.

She obvously did not play 10 years ago when it was in its hayday...

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,495
    Originally posted by KaitarBesh

Ok, I'm sure this will get deleted like the last bits of criticism from her other articles - some "writers" can't take critism,  but here goes.

* Lay off the cliche' approach. This was a very predictble and nothing here grabbed the reader. It has nostalgic value for old UO players, but the writing itself is stale, relies on a "story arc" that is -entirely- predictable and not very witty.

* Learn what paragraph and sentence structure are and use it. Your paragraphs are far too long and ramble about several subjects at once. They need to be broken into much more coherent form - state subject of paragraph - write sentences directly related TO that subject - start a new paragraph for the next subject.

* The diary approach is not the best method of writing if you can't pull it off well and with originality. You're doing neither here. Try something else.

* Stop trying so hard to be "cute" in your writing.  It comes across as ditzy and even arrogant via Snooki style.

* Take some writing lessons. READ a book. If you want to write well you need to read more than game review articles. Expand your vocabulary. Stop relying on your looks and "cute" factor to get you a paycheck- it doesn't work in the real writing world.

Very well and politely said.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by marcust

My UO tale as Marcus Alberton.

Please note I do not host this site and take no responsibility for it.

http://looter.4t.com/57.htm

Nice! One great thing about UO style MMOs is that they lend themselves well to having individual tales. Here are some tales from various UOers on the Catskills server:

http://themess.com/uotales/

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• PokketPokket Member Posts: 80

Ok, I'm sure this will get deleted like the last bits of criticism from her other articles - some "writers" can't take critism,  but here goes.

* Lay off the cliche' approach. This was a very predictble and nothing here grabbed the reader. It has nostalgic value for old UO players, but the writing itself is stale, relies on a "story arc" that is -entirely- predictable and not very witty.

* Learn what paragraph and sentence structure are and use it. Your paragraphs are far too long and ramble about several subjects at once. They need to be broken into much more coherent form - state subject of paragraph - write sentences directly related TO that subject - start a new paragraph for the next subject.

* The diary approach is not the best method of writing if you can't pull it off well and with originality. You're doing neither here. Try something else.

* Stop trying so hard to be "cute" in your writing.  It comes across as ditzy and even arrogant via Snooki style.

* Take some writing lessons. READ a book. If you want to write well you need to read more than game review articles. Expand your vocabulary. Stop relying on your looks and "cute" factor to get you a paycheck- it doesn't work in the real writing world. 

I have a BA in Language, Literature, and Writing with an emphasis on Creative Writing. One of the many things I have learned over the years is that writing styles vary significantly from work to work and author to author.

If you want something to read that defies grammar and stretches the limit of the "story arc" then try Cormac McCarthy's book Child of God. This is the same author that wrote All the Pretty Horses, No Country For Old Men, The Road, and more (I name these because they've been turned into movies and are well known). 

The way you described writing sounds more textbook and analytical. There's nothing wrong with that style, but I am not going for that at all. This isn't a research paper. I don't expect everyone to like the way I write and what I write about. Perhaps this just isn't for you =) 

There is absolutely no need to bring up my looks, or make accusations in regards to them, when attempting to justify your opinions.

I don't normally reply to comments that borderline insult me, but I felt there were a lot of assumptions and fallacies in your "feedback" that it wouldn't hurt to set straight. You're certainly entitled to your opinion, even an extremely negative one, and I am certainly entitled to not take it into consideration.

PS - I'd like to clarify that I have never deleted nor modified replies on my columns and videos. I do not have those privs. It may be a good idea, before you go and criticize someone about their lack of knowledge and education, to do a little research of your own ~.^

Youtube: PokketProductions | Twitter: @Pokketsays | Facebook: Pokketsays
  • XPraetorianXXPraetorianX Member CommonPosts: 107
    Originally posted by Pokket

I have a BA in Language, Literature, and Writing with an emphasis on Creative Writing. One of the many things I have learned over the years is that writing styles vary significantly from work to work and author to author.

If you want something to read that defies grammar and stretches the limit of the "story arc" then try Cormac McCarthy's book Child of God. This is the same author that wrote All the Pretty Horses, No Country For Old Men, The Road, and more (I name these because they've been turned into movies and are well known). 

The way you described writing sounds more textbook and analytical. There's nothing wrong with that style, but I am not going for that at all. This isn't a research paper. I don't expect everyone to like the way I write and what I write about. Perhaps this just isn't for you =) 

There is absolutely no need to bring up my looks, or make accusations in regards to them, when attempting to justify your opinions.

I don't normally reply to comments that borderline insult me, but I felt there were a lot of assumptions and fallacies in your "feedback" that it wouldn't hurt to set straight. You're certainly entitled to your opinion, even an extremely negative one, and I am certainly entitled to not take it into consideration.

PS - I'd like to clarify that I have never deleted nor modified replies on my columns and videos. I do not have those privs. It may be a good idea, before you go and criticize someone about their lack of knowledge and education, to do a little research of your own ~.^

LMAO now that was a good read =-)

• SijjvraViszSijjvraVisz Member CommonPosts: 8
    Originally posted by Samhael

Very well and politely said.

This ^

It doesn't matter if you have a BA or all the schooling in the world. If your customers/readers say they don't like it then you need to improve. You are writing for them no matter what you want to believe otherwise.  It's a job like the food industry. You can say  you are great and gone to culinary school but if the customers are not liking your steak you prepare them they won't be back and your excuse of  "but I went to cooking school so it means I'm great!" doesn't matter a bit to them.

Playing - EQ2 - Waiting for - FFXIV 2.0 !!

• stevebmbsqdstevebmbsqd Member Posts: 448
    [mod edit]
    [mod edit]
    Originally posted by stevebmbsqd
    Originally posted by stevebmbsqd

Well seems my posts keep getting deleted again - I give up. Others have said what I was thinking anyway.

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean that others don't. There were many positive posts about that article. If you really wanted to give her some positive criticism, then you definitely wouldn't have used the tone that you did in your post. You could also try sending her a pm with your criticism, but you and I both know you weren't really trying to help her with your post. You wanted everyone to see what you wrote.

Actually I could care less if anyone reads it or not.  I'm not going to kiss anyone's butt or play nice when I think someone's writing is sub par. If you want to go right on ahead. This was a culmination of her past articles as well as this one, and several people here have said they dislike this one as well.

If she doesn't want to take advice from others, not my problem. And why should I care if others read what I wrote while writing it under an anonymous name on an Internet forum?

Oh, wait. I don't.

*shrug*

It is obvious that you wanted to belittle her. I suppose it is your mission to critique the writing of all the articles that you read on this site and on the internet in general? Maybe you have Pokket's best interests in mind and you want her to succeed? If you don't like someone's writing style then don't read their work. For your information, I am not kissing anyone's butt. I just can't stand people who hide behind their "forum / internet anominity" and post direct attacks and critical comments about people they don't know.

*rolls eyes*

No I don't have her "best interests" in mind - she's a big girl, she needs to learn how the writing industry is.  My real name is Louisa Roubalard. There you go. Now I'm not anonymous.  If she's getting all offended by hard critiques, she'll never last long in the writing industry. Real editors are MUCH harder than I have been with my critique of her style.

I really don't give a rat's butt if she makes it or not. I gave tips and a blunt, truthful critique of her poor writing. The tips I gave, regardless of style, are tips most editors have given -me- in the past. As a professional writer, I often give these tips to -any- writer I see online who needs vast improvement. But on a personal note - no, I have no emotional investment or "care" in her or her work. I'm simply passing on valuable knowledge -I- got handed to me in a frank, straight forward manner several times before it hit home. No one said this industry is easy or nice, and I'm generally not a gentle, nice person. That does not make my advice any less valuable for those who want to actually buck up and realize they need to work harder.

Others have complained multiple times her writing needs work. But I'm not her babysitter, and if she wants to ignore the critiques, tips and complaints, then well oh well. Eventually her boss(es) will notice and she'll get canned.

I'm glad you take it upon yourself to critique the world. The world may not be interested in your advice. You are not the world's editor. You are still anonymous because there is no face with your name, and quite frankly you could post any name that you wanted. People want to act big and mean on the internet, but realize that they would get punched in the face if they said what they did in the real world.  If you want any of your "advice" or "criticism" to be taken seriously, you would leave out the personal attacks. You seem intelligent enough to realize that. So, that brings me back to the actual reason you posted this......to belittle her publicly.

[mod edit]
  • AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912

Well seems my posts keep getting deleted again - I give up. Others have said what I was thinking anyway.

Whenever a post is edited in any way, we put in a [mod edit] for transparency.  As you see, your posts are there, just empty edits.

Constructive criticism of anything we publish is fine as long as it's polite and on topic. 

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

• taramirtaramir Member UncommonPosts: 74

I played UO before Trammel and am bad at writing as well. Can I have a job?

• KexinKexin Member UncommonPosts: 69

All you fathers out there, please raise more gaming girls.

• IshkalIshkal Member UncommonPosts: 304

LOL right on Pokket. Any one that played an was a true player knows what shes talking about. *closes eyes* I remember my first solo run into Fel