Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Secret World Rating: Please give a real review.

SebberSebber Member Posts: 221

Please rate how you feel about this game.

Comments

• EvilGeekEvilGeek Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

8.5 because character creation is severely lacking. If that gets improved as promised I'd go for 9.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

I dont have time to write a mini review at the moment.. i say mini as the game has not been out that long so of course have not had chance to do al lthe quests or anyting...

But I would give it an overall score of 8/10.. I think the game works really well from the combat to the intergration of the story.

There are a few bugs and im not a fan of themepark games but over all its a very solid release and for Funcom thats pretty amazing.

http://www.tentonhammer.com/reviews/the-secret-world?page=2

not a bad review there, i dont agree with everything but still pretty accurate..

• SlickShoesSlickShoes Member UncommonPosts: 1,019

I'd give it 7/10, it's probably the best theme park MMO to come out for some time, the character creation is sorely lacking though which is the major drawback for me. Combat is OK nothing extraordinary but certainly not that much worse than any other theme park MMO currently out.

It does enough things different to warrant playing, you are not limited to one single class and the investigation missions are excellent.

Originally posted by Vutar

I'd rate it a 7.0  becuase combat is terrible and there is very little replay value. It plays largely like a single player game. The quests are for the most part fun but unless Funcom is planning on releasing content fairly quickly and consistently I do not see the game retaining a large player base.  I just do not see anything about it that will keep a large number of people playing for an extended period of time.

Its got just as much replay value as any other MMORPG out there.. if you playy it like a single player game then thats your choice but your better off running in a small group as you get better rewards and of course you cant do any of the dungeons solo...

TSW is not aimed at having millions of people playing.. i think it will settle to a decent amount of people and stay there..

• stayBlindstayBlind Member UncommonPosts: 512

I'd say 4/10. 

Dismissing my bias against any game that rolls damage for guns, I'd say that the story/idea were great. Sadly, the translation of the story/idea into gameplay was not to my liking.

Little forum boys with their polished cyber toys: whine whine, boo-hoo, talk talk.

• VultureSkullVultureSkull Member UncommonPosts: 1,774

An out and out score here is not really required me thinks, the game has just released, and is in good shape for a new game and no doubt will get better as all MMOs do.

The thing about TSW that is exciting is that it tries to push the genre forward. Do things differently, explore new ideas, perfect concepts we enjoy (mass pvp for example) as opposed to just skinning what is already available and what I and 1000s of others are sick and tired of.

Having said that, if still required to give a score then since everything hangs together as the producers want it to then perhaps a 9. Combat could be smoother but I am saying that coming out of DB3 where everything is silky smooth.

But as said above the score it gets is not as important as what it is doing for MMOs in general, ie giving us a new expereince taliored to what we want.

• NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673

Generally 8/10

Personally 6/10

• DarthMooskaDarthMooska Member UncommonPosts: 146

If you thought a game was 9.28, wouldn't that be close enough to be a fanboy? Not saying it isn't justified, but it seems a little backwards from the title of this thread.

I derive my strength from passion. Do you feel that? That is what seperates you and I, Jedi!

• RightlovRightlov Member Posts: 72
    Originally posted by Sebber

9.28 right now. Please give a real review of the game.

Well, probably the 10s from the fanboys will get even out with the 1s from the haters. Hopefully leaving us with a somewhat realistic rating.

• OpenmindedOpenminded Member Posts: 5

i give it a 8,5 out of 10.

Smoothe prelaunch, smoothe regular launch, i like the way is played and makes you think.

Only thing that does not give it the full 10/10 is is the lagspikes every now and then and occassional bugs in uqest you encounter (which the fix rather fast with pathes).

• SebberSebber Member Posts: 221
    Originally posted by DarthMooska

If you thought a game was 9.28, wouldn't that be close enough to be a fanboy? Not saying it isn't justified, but it seems a little backwards from the title of this thread.

9.28 was the overall score when i made this post. My score is 7.2

• UsulDaNeriakUsulDaNeriak Member Posts: 640

even if TSW is very different compared to SWTOR, i will treat it the same way. i will play the story and then i will forget about it.

but hey, i am a sandboxer. i am not interested in any fully structured endgame at all.

played: Everquest I (6 years), EVE (3 years)
    months: EQII, Vanguard, Siedler Online, SWTOR, Guild Wars 2
    weeks: WoW, Shaiya, Darkfall, Florensia, Entropia, Aion, Lotro, Fallen Earth, Uncharted Waters
    days: DDO, RoM, FFXIV, STO, Atlantica, PotBS, Maestia, WAR, AoC, Gods&Heroes, Cultures, RIFT, Forsaken World, Allodds

Originally posted by UsulDaNeriak

even if TSW is very different compared to SWTOR, i will treat it the same way. i will play the story and then i will forget about it.

but hey, i am a sandboxer. i am not interested in any fully structured endgame at all.

I am more of a sandbox person as well.. but the pvp in TSW is pretty good as well and I think it will keep me playing well after the PVE side of things is done..

I enjoy sandbox games too, but I don't play EVE any more, there is nothing else really out there with a modicum of quality about it. 

• mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356

9.5. Only flaw for me is combat. Dont  care about jumping animation

• schonningschonning Member Posts: 1

Long time reader, first time poster.

I have to say that after many years playing WoW and testing new MMOs every year to find the replacement.

I have now found it. 

I am so sick of orcs with a mission that you have to pick 80 apples and kill 50 dogs to get to max level and then you grind raids til your eyes bleed.

TSW is an engaging, neverending adventure, and since I hear the main developer has 7 years of content planned out I know where I will be gaming for that period.

So far it's a 9/10, if they fix some minor issues with character creation I would say they could push another  half point!

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,352

I give it an incomplete, on the basis that you can't fairly judge a game so soon after launch.

• CetraCetra Member UncommonPosts: 359

7.5 at best. With the crappy combat and pvp, tsw does not deserve any score above 8.

• RockhideRockhide Member Posts: 155

Double post.  Sorry.

• RockhideRockhide Member Posts: 155

After what, 5 days(?), I'd put it in the 7-8 range.  

For me there's a bonus in there for being "different" and "refreshing" in that its not a retread of the class-based medieval fantasy MMO many of us have played for years.  IMO the positivity from the differentness will wear off in a few weeks after people have blasted their 5 millionth zombie/mummy/vampire spawn/whatever, but I won't ever take the fact that they pulled off a credible modern fantasy away from Funcom.

Getting to experience a bit greater than the typical variety of quests and being reminded that there's more that can be done than just having players grab a bunch of quests at a hub that ask you to kill 10 monsters is one of the major positives IMO.

Combat is a pretty basic resource system that probably won't appeal as much to the crowd that wants a more skill-oriented approach, but it plays out better on the theoretical level IMO.  The min/max theorycrafter crowd should have a deal of fun with it.

Biggest turn-offs for me have been the character creation (I'm more likely to play a game in the long term if I'm happy with my character's name, appearance, abilities, etc., and I don't think I'm alone in that respect), the itemization of the cash shop (they give you some reasonable stuff to purchase from in-game stores with credits, but then the piece(s) you really want to complete a simple outfit, a dress shirt and tie to go with a suit jacket and pants for example, are often cash shop items of course), chat system (not as customizable as I would like), and the hundreds of snobs who put everyone down who asks for any kind of help because it demonstrates their supposed intellectual superiority.  Without a doubt TSW sports the biggest collection of insufferable pseudo-intellectual poseurs outside of Boston.  =P

For me personally the game has a really high fun factor "out of the box," but IMO it doesn't necessarily emphasize the competitive aspects of gameplay that a lot of players enjoy.  Your character's build and gear that synergizes with it is arguably even more important than your ability to use it compared to other MMOs.  That will turn off many players that hang out in places like this.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

when I get some time Ill try to write a decent first review but overall I'd give it a 7.5/10 right now.. But numbers don't mean much at all unless you have something to base that number on. So ill give you my numbers for the last couple MMOs I have played if I were to rate them at a WEEK into playing(NOT my final score)

Rift - 7/10

SWTOR- 6/10

TERA- 5/10

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156

Using the rating on this site. Rift is 7.3 and EVE is 9.1. So, i'd say it deserves easily between 7.5-8.5. Possibly 8, but the bad animations, CC, meh combat and Fusang put it down. Still, i give the biggest credit for not copying WOW an using an actually original mechanic like the Investigation Missions, which as never been done before and not just an old concept re-used.

• stevebmbsqdstevebmbsqd Member Posts: 448
    Originally posted by stayBlind

I'd say 4/10. 

Dismissing my bias against any game that rolls damage for guns, I'd say that the story/idea were great. Sadly, the translation of the story/idea into gameplay was not to my liking.

And the difference in rolling for damage between guns and swords is??????????

• LonzoLonzo Member UncommonPosts: 294

I playxed Beta.... The first 15 minutes were so ugly i uninstalled after 1 hour.... The character creation is so poor it is frustrating. The characters look like crap!!! No fun at all! Games like this have no right to exist in the MMO market!

My rating: 2/10

Originally posted by Lonzo

I playxed Beta.... The first 15 minutes were so ugly i uninstalled after 1 hour.... The character creation is so poor it is frustrating. The characters look like crap!!! No fun at all! Games like this have no right to exist in the MMO market!

My rating: 2/10

That's like watching the first minute of The Dark Knight and saying the whole film is trash based on not liking that first minute. You must really get shafted on cinema tickets if you take the same approach.