Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Most disappointing MMO? [Poll]

Comments

• DarkmothDarkmoth Member Posts: 174
    Originally posted by Thane
    Originally posted by QuicklyScott

GW2 or Vanguard SoH

GW2 really has jaded me,  I was so hyped for it, everyone was saying it would be the best thing since vanilla WoW, every Youtuber I was subscribed to was raving over it etc etc, I purposely didn't read much about it, sort of selectively read, to make it feel that much sweeter when I got my hands on it.  I played the BWs and absolutely hated it.

Vanguard SoH had all the feature I could want in a MMO, I was so hyped for player housing, boats, huge world with no loading screens.... When i got to play it I felt sick it was so bad.

whoever claims such BS obviously never player WoW vanilla ^^

what was the fun part about it, being stuck for 30 mins in your mining animation? falling through ground? waiting 15 mins till the lag ended? or was it the complete unbalance of the classes? or the zerg in TM so he/she could finally get his/her first kill :)

seriously, WoW "vanilla" wasn't any better than your first GF, nothing spectecular, but surely worth a memory, since she was your first

The imbalance of the classes was part of the fun, as was the zerg in TM/SS. Personally, I enjoyed PvP more then than I did when it moved to the sterile fake-esport Arena environment.

You have to remember that WoW wasn't the first MMO for a lot of us (especially the EQ crowd). It was just so much better than it's competition at the time.

• UsulDaNeriakUsulDaNeriak Member Posts: 640
    Originally posted by Darkmoth

You have to remember that WoW wasn't the first MMO for a lot of us (especially the EQ crowd). It was just so much better than it's competition at the time.

it was what???

I played EQ1 these times. WoW was even worse than EQ2. And EQ2 was just a watered down shadow of EQ1.

so strategically WoW was the biggest dissapointment of the last decade, because WoW and EQ2 initiated the downfall of the MMORPG-Genre in 2004. But this was not the subject of the poll.

played: Everquest I (6 years), EVE (3 years)
    months: EQII, Vanguard, Siedler Online, SWTOR, Guild Wars 2
    weeks: WoW, Shaiya, Darkfall, Florensia, Entropia, Aion, Lotro, Fallen Earth, Uncharted Waters
    days: DDO, RoM, FFXIV, STO, Atlantica, PotBS, Maestia, WAR, AoC, Gods&Heroes, Cultures, RIFT, Forsaken World, Allodds

• mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356

Thats easy. Warhammer Online. I was so hyped by this game watching Paul Bernett class presentations. And was so disappointed with result. Nothing else comes close

• XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180

1.TERA

2.SWToR 

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
    Originally posted by UsulDaNeriak

it was what???

I played EQ1 these times. WoW was even worse than EQ2. And EQ2 was just a watered down shadow of EQ1.

so strategically WoW was the biggest dissapointment of the last decade, because WoW and EQ2 initiated the downfall of the MMORPG-Genre in 2004. But this was not the subject of the poll.

I agree..  When the new generation of MMO's came out, which I start with EQ2 and WoW, was the frist step down the slide of blaaaaaahhhhhhhhh..   Granted there were issues with EQ1 that were annoying, but in general, if was far more advanced then the baby stuff we are being spoon fed today..  Where is the ability to earn faction with enemy faction so you are no longer KOS?  I so remember my best friend playing an Ogre and working his faction to get into High Keep.. It also wasn't about earning faction but LOSING it as well..  That was one thing I liked about Booty Bay in WoW... You can please both the pirates and goblins at the same time..  As it should be... Anyone remember Kael faction vs ToV faction in EQ1?   I miss camping as well.. Anyone seen KITING lately?  CC is almost never used, and pulling is a lost art..    So sad.. So sad..  I miss zone changes too..  Remember Kith Forrest at night?   ha ha.. 

Personally.. if it was up to me.. I would "limit" both AOE taunting and AOE dps.. so that group mechanics become more challenging and variable..  I'm so sick and tired of the tank gathering up all the mobs, then AOE'ing them all down.. ZZZZZZZZ please..  bring back pulling, cc and kiting.. 

• GreatGatsbyGreatGatsby Member UncommonPosts: 19

Star Trek Online ... the biggest  ...

Star Wars: The old Republic ...

I lowered my expections for the game and as such enjoyed the 30 days free game time. I did not resub and i think i got to lvl 20 then just went back to playing EvE-Online ..

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791

"OTHER":  

Earthrise

Could also say: 

Star War Galaxies (CU and NGE)

Let's party like it is 1863!

• NavyJackalNavyJackal Member Posts: 82

In order from greatest disaapointment to the least (but still terribly disappointing)

1. Final Fantasy XIV - I was a huge fan of XI and played it for three years, and really thought XIV would improve upon it, but SE really dropped the ball hard and when the game launched it was an incomplete mess.  That being said by turning it free to play for an entire year and making signifigant improvements, I'm optimistic it can reach some semblance of what I hoped it would originally be.  

2. Warhammer Online - I play the warhammer tabletop wargame, and I'm quite into the whole lore and mythos behind the setting.  There was so much that the devs could have done to capitalise on that, but they stuck us with two factions, promised us three capital cities per faction then delivered only one.   Not sure if they changed much since I quit playing but it was such a mess I'm not even tempted to give it another look.

3. Star Trek Online - Ship combat was fun, and the graphics were nice, that's the only thing good I can say about this game as everything else about it sucked.

• DarkmothDarkmoth Member Posts: 174
    Originally posted by UsulDaNeriak

it was what???

If it was a huge disappointment, why did so many hardcore EQers flock to it? I'm not talking Joe Casual, I'm talking Fires of Heaven.

If you think chainpulling mobs for hours was more entertaining and challenging than (for example) clearing Gnomeregan, then we'll just have to disagree.

• DjinnAjitDjinnAjit Member Posts: 16
    Originally posted by NavyJackal

In order from greatest disaapointment to the least (but still terribly disappointing)

1. Final Fantasy XIV - I was a huge fan of XI and played it for three years, and really thought XIV would improve upon it, but SE really dropped the ball hard and when the game launched it was an incomplete mess.  That being said by turning it free to play for an entire year and making signifigant improvements, I'm optimistic it can reach some semblance of what I hoped it would originally be.  

2. Warhammer Online - I play the warhammer tabletop wargame, and I'm quite into the whole lore and mythos behind the setting.  There was so much that the devs could have done to capitalise on that, but they stuck us with two factions, promised us three capital cities per faction then delivered only one.   Not sure if they changed much since I quit playing but it was such a mess I'm not even tempted to give it another look.

3. Star Trek Online - Ship combat was fun, and the graphics were nice, that's the only thing good I can say about this game as everything else about it sucked.

Wow...came here to vote in exactly this order...that's freaky.  

I have played every game on this POLL and then some.  If you are all voting for Tera or SWTOR or even GW2 then you really need to play FFXIV and understand it was supposed to be a AAA MMO...millions were spent on it.  And it failed on almost every level.  My wife and I played FFXI for years and the level of excitement was so high.  Awful.  It might be the biggest let down of a game for me ever, regardless of genre.

Warhammer, because it was really fun leveling and I enjoyed the Public Quests and even the instanced PVP.  Then end game happened and never was there a bigger let down.

Star Trek Online is only 3rd because my expectations were not that high but they still managed to fall really short.  Star Trek Online though is the worst in terms of time I gave a game because my only description is that is was "boring".

• 3-4thElf3-4thElf Member Posts: 489

So it's 

SWTOR,

Warhammer Online (I avoided it, so good call me!)

&

Final Fantasy XIV

so far?

I feel that says a lot.

a yo ho ho

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035
    Originally posted by 3-4thElf

So it's 

SWTOR,

Warhammer Online (I avoided it, so good call me!)

&

Final Fantasy XIV

so far?

I feel that says a lot.

Yep.  In this case, two out of three is not very good.  For EA that is.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • mikaboy28mikaboy28 Member Posts: 81

Other: lost horizon empire of istaria ..bought it for full price and played it for around 30 minutes :)

runner-up =Swtor!

• VultureSkullVultureSkull Member UncommonPosts: 1,774
    Originally posted by xenogias
    Originally posted by VultureSkull

Lol it seems every game is a dissappointment. And if so perhaps it is not the games we should be looking at but at ourselves.

We perhaps expect too much from games, looking for an all singing all dancing game that captures the feelings we had when we played our first MMO. The feeling, that is said, will never be had again.

Perhaps a poll that lists games that lived up to expectaion would be more apt.

I dont agree with that. I think Devs need to start living up to thier own hype. If they say feature XXX is going to be in the game, it needs to be in the game.

For example. If they say living-breathing-alive world then it should be. SWTOR claimed that. SWTOR was one of the most dead feeling MMO's in history imo. This is just not limited to SWTOR. EVERY single mmo since WoW (including WoW really) has overhyped the truth of what the game is. If it was only the players doing that I would say you are right.  But its not just the players. The players dont help sure, but the companies themselves make sure they stretch the truth as much as they possibly can without being sued for false advertising.

You can (perhaps) count on one hand how many different type of MMOs there are, and not clones of each other, thats what I am talking about.

Let see, there is Eve on-line, Planet Side (limited mmo, with very few levels) and all the others (after EQ1).  Cant think of any more, so three MMOs released in the last 15 years is not a lot and we are bound to get tired with repetition.

All the mmos now are the same, at least all the main stream ones. If there was no WoW, AoC, GW, EQ, Eq2, LoTRO, Rift, WAR etc SWTOR would have been absolutely brilliant, but since we seen it all before our interest wanes pretty quick, at least mine does and by the looks of these forums I am not the only one.

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188

The Old Republic because it was such a bad game and it did not help that players/media had so many high expectations. 

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

1. Darkfall.  Touted as a sandbox game.  Simply put, it isn't.  It's a poorly constructed, poorly conceptualized clan warfare themepark game, and nothing more.  Nothing really sandbox about it.  Seeing the direction they are going with DF2, it's clear that AV wouldn't know sandbox game design if it came up and bit them on the ass.

Honorable Mention: Age of Conan.  Horrible launch, really bad game design in the beginning.  Didn't deliver the type of game the developers claimed it would - didn't even come close.  Just a mediocre themepark clone, one of hundreds.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• mastersomratmastersomrat Member UncommonPosts: 373

hmmm, can't think of any that I already didn't know was (what it is).  There are many many mmos thats are just week, copies, broken, etc.  I will say there is yet to be a mmo that has everything I want (like everyone else I suppose).  Currently playing RIFT.  Thing about TSW for the adventures/puzzles.  Played just about everything.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

I voted SWTOR, it's easily the most disappointing considering how much money was poured into the game and the sh*** results. I'd vote any of the WoW clones though. They're all terrible attempts to copy WoW. If we wanted to play WoW, guess what? We'd just play WoW, don't they get it?

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667

GW2 was mine.   I wonder why it was left off the list?  It was sure hyped enough.

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.

• helthroshelthros Member UncommonPosts: 1,449

Starwars is the only game that had the IP to dethrone WoW and they simply dropped the ball.

• AmenhoetepAmenhoetep Member UncommonPosts: 36

Tera - I tend to play solo or infrequently in a group setting.  After 4 days of running from quest hub to quest hub and skipping alot of the content since grouping was required to kill alot of the objective quest mobs, I quit playing it after 4 days.  Also, after skipping some quests that I could not solo, alot of important quest chains ended for me right there.

The game was beautiful and the developers made a nice game as I saw quite a few peeps seemingly having  a good time.  Not a bad game but most disappointing to ME as it did not fit my gameplay style at all.

• Hard choice between Darkfall and Age of Conan... picked Darkfall.

• AvanahAvanah Member RarePosts: 1,615
    Originally posted by QuicklyScott

GW2 or Vanguard SoH

GW2 really has jaded me,  I was so hyped for it, everyone was saying it would be the best thing since vanilla WoW, every Youtuber I was subscribed to was raving over it etc etc, I purposely didn't read much about it, sort of selectively read, to make it feel that much sweeter when I got my hands on it.  I played the BWs and absolutely hated it.

Vanguard SoH had all the feature I could want in a MMO, I was so hyped for player housing, boats, huge world with no loading screens.... When i got to play it I felt sick it was so bad.

You need to get past Level 5 (Intro Area) to really experience the next best MMO. Sorry you feel that way....wait...

No I'm not! See you on 8/28/12 ;)

"My Fantasy is having two men at once...

One Cooking and One Cleaning!"

---------------------------

"A good man can make you feel sexy,

strong and able to take on the whole world...

oh sorry...that's wine...wine does that..."

• olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,828

The two Star games: STO and SWToR both disappointed me. I love both of those IP's, and have since they first appeared.

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

• MaricMaric Member UncommonPosts: 98

Warhammer for me.  That game had sooo much potential.