Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Most disappointing MMO? [Poll]

Comments

• BanquettoBanquetto Member UncommonPosts: 1,037
    For mine, still nothing has come close to the ghastly disappointment of Warhammer.
  • dadante666dadante666 Member UncommonPosts: 402

mi vote go on swtor cause i play the rest of the others mmo and to be honest i have fun whit some at begin  but swtor have loot of promotion and at the end it really dint offer what lot of people expected...

• Cypt1Cypt1 Member UncommonPosts: 283

Star Wars: The Old Republic. To a degree, I thought I knew what to expect, but after playing it longer, I realized it definitely wasn't as amazing as I initially thought it would be. My own fault, really.

While  I have played several of the other games on the list, my expectations for those titles were far lower.

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641

What a surprise Star Wars: The Old Republic wins.... don't fuck with peoples childhood or MMO is the lesson we learn today image

I don't get hyped for games so my dissapointment level is not that great but the game that I thought was bloody awful that I was hoping would be a good game was RIFT... The levelling curve and difficulty was stupidly easy, the crafting pointless, the cities woeful, the questing system pathetic, the attitude the game starts at endgame, tiny WZ, the worthless soul system, and to cap that all the "Dynamic Events" were just the same a randoly (time) spawned mini games that changed nothing about the world and just got on player nerves after you did them ten times, so that now Trion doesn't even bother doing anything with them, that says it all a game a about Rifts from other dimensions that doesn't have any because theres no one playing anymore. Just a seriously bad game with no redeeming factors whats so ever.  

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• StrangeEyesStrangeEyes Member Posts: 119

All tho ive played Darkfall for more then 2years its still my most disappointed mmo for me.

Why i like DayZ so much more after few months of playing  then Darkfall after few months?

CPU:Intel Core i7-3770K 4GHz
    GPU:ASUS HD 7970 DirectCU II TOP
    MB:ASUS P8Z77-V DELUXE
    Case:Cooler Master HAF X
    RAM:Corsair 16GB 1600
    PSU:Corsair gold 850
    HD:SSD OCZ 256 GB vertex4

• xenogiasxenogias Member Posts: 1,926

I put AoC. All of the others are deserved for one reason or another. But AoC was the one I played that flat out lied on its box about what the game offered. AoC actually launched with broken mechanics, extreemly bugged, lacking almost any content past the beginning area (which is all they let people see during the OB). Funcom didnt drop the NDA untill the game was released and they had no choice trying to cover up the trainwreck that was any content past tortage.

There is a reason so many of us do not trust funcom as far as we can throw them. Some people either just wherent around then or forgot just how bad it was.

• cgniuscgnius Member Posts: 18

Has to be SWTOR. With the right concepts and development it could have been good enough to seriously challenge WoW. As it is, though, even Runescape seems more popular than it

• VassagoMaelVassagoMael Member Posts: 555
    Originally posted by Legere

wheres diablo 3 on that list?

Diablo 3 isn't an MMO. 

Free to play = content updates for the cash shop. Buy to play = content updates for the cash shop.
    Subscription = Actual content updates!

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852

I wanted to press "ALL of the Above", but that option wasnt' there.. lol   However, if I really had to make a choice, I'd say SWTOR simply due that Star Wars is one of the strongest IP's on the market..  You would think that with proper and capable minds behind an IP of Star Wars it would instawin, but that is far from reality..  SWTOR sold of ton of boxes based on that IP and hype, but it fell short in keeping players..  I'm starting to believe that ALL sub based MMO's are all about hype , sales and move on to the next title to exploit..  Why?  Probably because customers are too forgiving, when it comes to boycotting bad games and the company that makes them.. 

• marcustmarcust Member UncommonPosts: 495

Earthrise tops the list of those I've tried.

Cant believe people are bagging Darkfall, they obviously havn't seen whats going on the last few days.

Playing: Darkfall New Dawn (and planning to play Fallout 76)
    Favourite games have included: UO, Lineage2, Darkfall, Lotro, Baldur's Gate, SSX, FF7 and yes the original Wizardry on an Apple IIe

• VultureSkullVultureSkull Member UncommonPosts: 1,774

Lol it seems every game is a dissappointment. And if so perhaps it is not the games we should be looking at but at ourselves.

We perhaps expect too much from games, looking for an all singing all dancing game that captures the feelings we had when we played our first MMO. The feeling, that is said, will never be had again.

Perhaps a poll that lists games that lived up to expectaion would be more apt.

Originally posted by marcust

Earthrise tops the list of those I've tried.

Cant believe people are bagging Darkfall, they obviously havn't seen whats going on the last few days.

For alot of us MMO's do not get a 2nd chance. I never tried Darkfall but I did read abou the mess that it was at launch. Had I tried it at that time I would never try it again. I firmly believe we the gamers need to be more strict on game companies. Really in no other busness do people allow "do-overs". I say get it right the first time or GTFO.

• busdriverbusdriver Member Posts: 859

Industry as a whole has gone from 'pretty good' to 'shitfest' for almost a decade now. Biggest disappointment right there.

Only specific disappointment has been Darkfall. A beautiful sandbox devoid of any sand in it, that's an accurate description of DF beta/launch.

• 7star7star Member Posts: 405
    Originally posted by Siveria

Where is the "All of the Above option" Because honestly every single one of those mmo's are garbage, they are all bascally the exact same wow-clone in a slightly diffrent looking skin, with nothing really unique to them at all.

Care to give us a little analysis on how they are all "the exact same wow-clone"? I will grant that all or even most of them can be considered as such, but "all"? Do you really want to stick by that without backing it up at least a little?

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

You know, up until December 2011, I would have said without hesitation Age of Conan.  That game had alot of hype and alot of hopes up leading into release.  I'll give the Funcom credit, they promoted AOC very well and get people pumped up about it.  Entering the game into the beginner area of Tortage was a very impressive experience.  Then, you experienced the remainder of the game which went downhill after that.

So, AOC would have been the most disappointing release for me.  That is, until SWTOR came out.  Now, just from what the devs have announced and promoted in the huge amount of time before the game went live, I knew that it wasn't the game for me.  But you simply could not escape how much excitement and expectations were for this game from around the MMORPG community.

I mean, it was:  BioWare + Star Wars IP + MMORPG + LOTS OF MONEY poured in + Roughly 5 years of development = Gauranteed Win

But it wasn't like that.  There's still lots of people in there compared to competing MMORPGs, but, well...

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

Originally posted by VultureSkull

Lol it seems every game is a dissappointment. And if so perhaps it is not the games we should be looking at but at ourselves.

We perhaps expect too much from games, looking for an all singing all dancing game that captures the feelings we had when we played our first MMO. The feeling, that is said, will never be had again.

I dont agree with that. I think Devs need to start living up to thier own hype. If they say feature XXX is going to be in the game, it needs to be in the game.

For example. If they say living-breathing-alive world then it should be. SWTOR claimed that. SWTOR was one of the most dead feeling MMO's in history imo. This is just not limited to SWTOR. EVERY single mmo since WoW (including WoW really) has overhyped the truth of what the game is. If it was only the players doing that I would say you are right.  But its not just the players. The players dont help sure, but the companies themselves make sure they stretch the truth as much as they possibly can without being sued for false advertising.

• 7star7star Member Posts: 405
    Originally posted by Wrender
    Originally posted by Quizzical

I've never played any of those games, and it's likely that I never will.  Low expectations to begin with make it hard for a game to be a huge disappointment.

Quizzical, If I may ask, what game do you play being a man of your great intellect?

:)

been wondering this for quite some time.

Good question.

He could be a dev. Probably, he's so smart, he doesn't waste time playing mmorpgs. He just makes them for the rest of us. That would be awesome.

Originally posted by Warmaker

You know, up until December 2011, I would have said without hesitation Age of Conan.  That game had alot of hype and alot of hopes up leading into release.  I'll give the Funcom credit, they promoted AOC very well and get people pumped up about it.  Entering the game into the beginner area of Tortage was a very impressive experience.  Then, you experienced the remainder of the game which went downhill after that.

So, AOC would have been the most disappointing release for me.  That is, until SWTOR came out.  Now, just from what the devs have announced and promoted in the huge amount of time before the game went live, I knew that it wasn't the game for me.  But you simply could not escape how much excitement and expectations were for this game from around the MMORPG community.

I mean, it was:  BioWare + Star Wars IP + MMORPG + LOTS OF MONEY poured in + Roughly 5 years of development = Gauranteed Win

But it wasn't like that.  There's still lots of people in there compared to competing MMORPGs, but, well...

You said exactly why SWTOR shouldnt be as high as it is. Had anyone bothered to look at what it was ahead of time, read peoples experiences from beta weekends, or played in one of the few that was open to the public yourself they hid nothing. It was what it was from level 1. Whereas AoC was one game in Tortage and a completely diffrent, horrible experience after that. And unless you look at forums that allow NDA leaks ect you had NO way of knowing what you spent your money on untill it was to late.

• seridanseridan Member UncommonPosts: 1,202
    Originally posted by VultureSkull

You'll probably see "none" as the most popular answer

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156

SWTOR. Not because off my childhood, since i started with the prequels and not that much of a SW fan, not because i waste by money on it, because i didn't buy at launch.

Simply because when i remember that this is the most expensive video game ever and that the result is a game that is just too similar to WOW and that, probably, most of that money went into an insane amount of voice acting instead of game developement, my reaction is:

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    Originally posted by QuicklyScott

GW2 or Vanguard SoH

GW2 really has jaded me,  I was so hyped for it, everyone was saying it would be the best thing since vanilla WoW, every Youtuber I was subscribed to was raving over it etc etc, I purposely didn't read much about it, sort of selectively read, to make it feel that much sweeter when I got my hands on it.  I played the BWs and absolutely hated it.

Vanguard SoH had all the feature I could want in a MMO, I was so hyped for player housing, boats, huge world with no loading screens.... When i got to play it I felt sick it was so bad.

whoever claims such BS obviously never player WoW vanilla ^^

what was the fun part about it, being stuck for 30 mins in your mining animation? falling through ground? waiting 15 mins till the lag ended? or was it the complete unbalance of the classes? or the zerg in TM so he/she could finally get his/her first kill :)

seriously, WoW "vanilla" wasn't any better than your first GF, nothing spectecular, but surely worth a memory, since she was your first

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,456

Darkfall - or how to ruin a sandbox MMORPG by letting it turn into a PvP gankfest.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• UsulDaNeriakUsulDaNeriak Member Posts: 640
    Originally posted by Darkmoth

Easily SW:TOR, for me. I'd been a Bioware fanboy since Baldur's Gate, and I fully expected them to pull it off. I would have been disappointed by a mediocre MMO...the faceplant we got was shocking.

After playing Dragon Age 2, which already watered down the RPG-idea and was more far away from Baldurs Gate than anything else, I was pretty sure, what i had to expect from Bioware and SWTOR. And then they delivered exactly, what I expected and what was clearly shown in the late videos and articles. So no surpise or dissapointment for me.

SWTOR had at least good stories and quests, so i could treat it as a simple Offline-RPG. I voted for Tera, because the quest-system of Tera is an impertinence nowadays. And aimed targeting alone does not make a good combat system. So Tera had even less to offer, than SWTOR.

Darkfall could become a great game, if they implement clear limitations (caps) into their skillsystem and if they limit pvp-ffa to pvp-continents only. well, therefor they need at least a 2nd continent. i doubt Darkfall 2.0 will make it right, but sometimes wonder do happen.

played: Everquest I (6 years), EVE (3 years)
    months: EQII, Vanguard, Siedler Online, SWTOR, Guild Wars 2
    weeks: WoW, Shaiya, Darkfall, Florensia, Entropia, Aion, Lotro, Fallen Earth, Uncharted Waters
    days: DDO, RoM, FFXIV, STO, Atlantica, PotBS, Maestia, WAR, AoC, Gods&Heroes, Cultures, RIFT, Forsaken World, Allodds

• andreawalesandreawales Member Posts: 44

At first it would have been Warhammer for me ... but then SWTOR came along and trounced everything with its utter awfulness !

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,627

Secret world for me... It would had been SWToR but I seen that coming when I was in Alpha testing.  TSW on the other hand, I didn't beta, tryed to stay away from because I loved the lore, story, background, and whatnot. Wanted to come in with a fresh perspective with no hype.  However, the game just fell flat on its face.

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"