Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

3 days playing TSW, and I am already mad >.<

ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Playing Kingsmouth and Savage Coast, all was fine and daisy.

But now, since I entered Blue Mountains, I felt like I ran into a goddamn wall. With spikes. And acid. And fire. You get the idea. NOT FUN. See, put all into Assault Rifle and Sword, which worked really well the first 2 zones. But now.... EVERY single mob is a CHORE. Hack, hack, hack, hack hack. Finisher. 50 times before ONE BLASTED mob is down. Then move 3 meters in this super dense mob ridden place and start over.

You know I am so frustrated and angry and sad right now. It's like I always BARELY do any mob with a bit mini health left over and then if some roamer comes I am dead.

This. Is. Not. Fun!

Sorry for the rant. But I felt I cried here if I died just ONE MORE TIME in this horrible place. I tried dozens of new combinations, but to no avail. The only thing that worked was going ALL into Assault Rifle leeches as self heal. But then it takes me even more time to kill these mobs... sigh.

Not happy panda.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

Comments

• LaromussLaromuss Member UncommonPosts: 331
    Originally posted by Elikal

But now, since I entered Blue Mountains, I felt like I ran into a goddamn wall. With spikes. And acid. And fire. You get the idea. NOT FUN. See, put all into Assault Rifle and Sword, which worked really well the first 2 zones. But now.... EVERY single mob is a CHORE. Hack, hack, hack, hack hack. Finisher. 50 times before ONE BLASTED mob is down. Then move 3 meters in this super dense mob ridden place and start over.

You know I am so frustrated and angry and sad right now. It's like I always BARELY do any mob with a bit mini health left over and then if some roamer comes I am dead.

This. Is. Not. Fun!

Sorry for the rant. But I felt I cried here if I died just ONE MORE TIME in this horrible place. I tried dozens of new combinations, but to no avail. The only thing that worked was going ALL into Assault Rifle leeches as self heal. But then it takes me even more time to kill these mobs... sigh.

Not happy panda.

which combinations have you been running?  There were some difficult areas but those areas I recommend having another person with you.  Most of it I did myself and I am running a Hammer/chaos build,  my hammer is the main focus, with lot of damage mitigation up to 60% on mobs and high single target dps output combined with some Aoe builds and elite single target high output and elite healing passives.   Additionally what gear are you running it with?   By blue mountain I had saved enough tokens to buy the high level vendor blue weapons and gear.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Rumor has it grouping is encouraged after the first few zones. Otherwise I suspect your build is wrong.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• GargolaGargola Member Posts: 356

didn't really have issues with pistols/chaos in ql 5/6 gear.  You have to be careful when walking around tho, some areas are quite dangerous.

Edit, actually make that ql 4/5 gear, mainly.

• tarestares Member Posts: 381

Copy a build that hasnb't been nerfed yet. Are some OP builds!

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156

I didn't notice any significant increase in difficulty between Coast and Blue Mountain with my elementalist / fists character.

REALITY CHECK

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    Originally posted by Laross

This. Is. Not. Fun!

Not happy panda.

which combinations have you been running?  There were some difficult areas but those areas I recommend having another person with you.  Most of it I did myself and I am running a Hammer/chaos build,  my hammer is the main focus, with lot of damage mitigation up to 60% on mobs and high single target dps output combined with some Aoe builds and elite single target high output and elite healing passives.   Additionally what gear are you running it with?   By blue mountain I had saved enough tokens to buy the high level vendor blue weapons and gear.

My gear is QL5. I use sword and assault rifle.

Yes, that't no official built. I didn't think it was so important to stick to these premades. :(

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

I've really ran into an issue during the "Scavengers" quest in the Blue Montain. If you haven't done this quest yet, prepare to ragquit a few times.

One word of advice I can give you is to really consider your passives and how they synergize with the rest of your abilities. I've speced mostly into penetration and crit buffs and I do amazingly well most of the time. Although Blue Mountain is tougher than the previous two zones. Also, if you're running blades, consider using Martial Discipline with a Regeneration and Fluid Defense passives. You basically get a defense buff and a heal with a 40 second cooldown that can pretty much be used every fight. I can't tell you how many times it saved my life.

Edit: don't bother with the premade decks. They are not that great. I'm building one because I want the outfit. You're better off building your own. If you want I can post my build but I use a shotgun/blade and 2 elementalism passives.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Ouch, ya... that's definitely an issue w/ this game.

One of the things I was trying to point out when people were arguing about combat complexity. Some builds are just clearly better than others. There's a lot of masked freedom with the anima wheel. For the first 2 areas, this is very hidden, as you can more or less still make awful builds and be fine. You basically only really need 2, 3 keys tops to get through kingsmouth / savage coast.

However, once you start getting into the later zones (and ya, you will start to see this at Blue Mountains), if you made poor builds, you will hit a very definite wall, and not even be able to complete even normal-con quests. Whereas if you have a good build, you can generally handle hard-con quests solo.

I can give you a bit of advance, if you want it. Basically the combat system is actually extremely simple once you boil it down. Take a step back, forget about all the curved rectangles for a sec. How do you want to play?

- Do you want to be more survivable (tanky / self-heals), or more damage oriented?

- What condition do you want to inflict (generally this either weakness / hindered / affliction). There are impaired procs, but they usually don't last long enough to be reliable.

Once you know the above two things, it becomes really simple to make a build. Find the hardest hitting attacks that apply the condition you want (usually based on what weapon you're using), and choose passives that work off that condition. If you want more survivability, choose conditions like 'weakness' which lower how much damage a target does, or even stack that w/ exposed, which increases how much dmg you do. Also, I would largely ignore the decks. They are mostly HORRIBLE builds. I only unlock them for the achievements, not for the skill loadout. For example, my solo spec for PvP is basically a crit / penetration oriented affliction ele. I focus on hard hitting, fast casting critical strike attacks and proc dmg / penetration off of afflicted targets. Depending on what i'm doing, I either sub blood magic for some 2ndary dmg procs, or I sub shotgun for a sort of grifter hybrid (Cone AoE weakness spam, and instant cast spike dmg). Works very very well.

I would also suggest unlocking the skill 'turn the tables' in the top misc. part of the anima wheel. It may seem like more of a PvP skill, but it's a very nice self-heal on a 30second cooldown. It's also not based on your heal rating, so you don't have to mix gear (which is generally a very bad idea). I would try and stay away from heal-oriented builds in general while soloing for PvE.

Hope that helps.

• DakirnDakirn Member UncommonPosts: 372

Are you using AoE builders on single target mobs? If so that's an issue.  You need to look at single target and AoE builders/finishers based on the fight. If you're trying to kill a single mobs using AoE attacks you're doing it wrong.

Do you have any healing with the AR?  If you don't, you should get at least one skill and a couple pieces of +healing gear.

If you aren't doing enough DPS.. CHANGE.  This game is about adapting. If you are failing, adapt.  Get a few more AP/SP and get a few different skills.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

This. Is. Not. Fun!

Not happy panda.

Lmfao. I've been there OP. there was a quest I just couldn't complete no matter what I did. I left on 5/5 with all broken gear. 

You may be in a little over your head. TSW lets you do that. Maybe group, or step back a little for a day or two. 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • Crunchy22Crunchy22 Member Posts: 51

Another rumor: 

Not all mobs are weak to the same type of attacks.

That...or youve come to realize that being straight DPS isnt as viable all the time soloing?

Worst case scenario you run polaris and inferno to get a new approach viable

by the way...what QL are your talismans ect and weapons?  

Honestly the same thing happend when i first went to SC...did so way too early and had to tie up some loose ends in kingsmouth...new gear/more SP across the board...and SC became a breeze.

• RyowulfRyowulf Member UncommonPosts: 664

Passives matter a lot, so make sure they are focused on enchancing your builder/finisher.

• Crunchy22Crunchy22 Member Posts: 51

Best part of this thread was that no one type "u mad?"

+1

• Cyberdeck7Cyberdeck7 Member UncommonPosts: 239
    Originally posted by Crunchy22

Best part of this thread was that no one type "u mad?"

+1

I disagree, best part has been no GW2 fanboys telling us how GW2 can fix his build and had it fixed since the beginning of time all while revolutionizing the used car industry.

• asdarasdar Member UncommonPosts: 662

There's eight thousand games out there that don't offer any challenge. Please don't wish the best part of this game away. I pray for death in most games, they're way too easy. This one is just right at the low levels. I hope they keep making it harder as we move up.

If it's too difficult just partner up.

Asdar

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857

Playing Kingsmouth and Savage Coast, all was fine and daisy.But now, since I entered Blue Mountains, I felt like I ran into a goddamn wall. With spikes. And acid. And fire. You get the idea. NOT FUN. See, put all into Assault Rifle and Sword, which worked really well the first 2 zones. But now.... EVERY single mob is a CHORE. Hack, hack, hack, hack hack. Finisher. 50 times before ONE BLASTED mob is down. Then move 3 meters in this super dense mob ridden place and start over.You know I am so frustrated and angry and sad right now. It's like I always BARELY do any mob with a bit mini health left over and then if some roamer comes I am dead.This. Is. Not. Fun!Sorry for the rant. But I felt I cried here if I died just ONE MORE TIME in this horrible place. I tried dozens of new combinations, but to no avail. The only thing that worked was going ALL into Assault Rifle leeches as self heal. But then it takes me even more time to kill these mobs... sigh.Not happy panda.

You have been Funcommed.

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Souldrainer

This. Is. Not. Fun!

Not happy panda.

You have been Funcommed.

or OP really doesn't understand the skill tree very well... not all combos work well for soloing outside kingsmouth. Honestly not much differn't than most games in a way certain builds will be more suitable for soloing than others., but at the start you could pretty much solo easily with most classes/builds.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• CetraCetra Member UncommonPosts: 359

This. Is. Not. Fun!

Not happy panda.

Its ok just go back Kingsmouth and grind all over again for new weapons. haha

• SephrosSephros Member UncommonPosts: 429
    Games to hard...Gotta quit now

Error: No Keyboard Detected!
    Press F1 to continue......

• ElSandmanElSandman Member Posts: 94
    Originally posted by asdar

There's eight thousand games out there that don't offer any challenge. Please don't wish the best part of this game away. I pray for death in most games, they're way too easy. This one is just right at the low levels. I hope they keep making it harder as we move up.

If it's too difficult just partner up.

This^^ exactly.  It is a lot of fun to partner up and run some of the tougher (Blue Mountain etc) open world stuff to boot.

Or as others said, get better gear, better SP/AP through re-running instances or even repeating content, then try again.

• Ren128Ren128 Member UncommonPosts: 73

Consider doing some pvp. Its a nice break from questing, XP is still ok (got 125k XP from 15min Stonehedge match last time I've done it, which was last night) and you earn marks with which you can get some nice gear. Now, I've only looked at mid range stuff (QL4-6) and it looks like there's no pvp-only stats (like resilience in WoW) so it should work ok in pve (I really should read the manual).

Also, are you getting a lot of Glancing hits? If so, hit rating is probably too low. 

• DerpybirdDerpybird Member Posts: 991

My gear is QL5. I use sword and assault rifle.

Yes, that't no official built. I didn't think it was so important to stick to these premades. :(

Some of the decks are OK. I used FATE in the CB to unlock them all and test them. I found the soldier deck worked best for me, with modifications.

Since you can not respec, if you put together a build of actives/passives that do not have reasonable synergy, you are going to be stuck grinding out enough points doing repeatable quests in lower level areas until you do find a build that works, not much you can do about it.

Or you can partner with another person until you get enough points to find a build that can do area content.

"Loading screens" are not "instances".
    Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

• sfc1971sfc1971 Member UncommonPosts: 421

TSW really does thing differently. It removes the craft grind or mob grind and introduces the quest grind. 

I noticed this in beta when the savage coast opened, just completing every quest in Kingsmouth MIGHT not prepare you enough. How you after all build your deck is up to you. You COULD spend all your AP on inner wheel skills and lack any outer wheel skills for a long time.

I noticed enemies appeared red, when I was going to old "hub to hub" method of questing. Then I did kingsmouth AGAIN and bam, color shift in enemies in the Savage Coast.

On early access, I did the quests for Kingsmouth, ran to blue mountain to get QL6 weapon set and did Savage coast only to find, like the OP, to find Blue Mountain a bit hard at times. So, I entered for some Fusang insanity and when I got back, the zombies on the bridge where BLUE!

And STILL I got killed because I was using my PvP setup which was VERY succesfull against human players who are afraid to die but not against mindless zombies.

So... the trick?

A: This game allows you to repeat quests, it might even be needed depending on how many AP you need for your build.

B: Just because you can pick any deck, doesn't mean every deck is viable. Either because of the enemies you face OR because of your play style. 

So, if you find yourself stuck, build another deck and if you need more AP, go back to repeat some quests or hit PvP and come back better prepared.

Finally, your items make a HUGE difference, some heals for instance give a percentage, you can easily have 2000 more health if you focus on health items, then a 10 percent heal is 200 points EXTRA! If you build depends on healing this way, focussing on attack power is the wrong way to go.

I found that when I switched decks, yellow mobs became childs play or white mobs had me down to a sliver of health and dead if an add appeared.

1 deck to rule them all so far has not appeared.

• ChingoChingo Member UncommonPosts: 128
    Agree with asdar about the challenge in TSW being refreshing. Hopefully it stays as-is and FC doesn't nerf the game over time.

I just landed in Blue Mountains myself with the same gear that OP has (AB/blade) with a build based mostly on pen (crit, aff) and some self-heals. Looking forward to see how it works if the area really ups the challenge. Can't wait to log back in...
  • IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051
    Originally posted by sfc1971

So... the trick?

B: Just because you can pick any deck, doesn't mean every deck is viable. Either because of the enemies you face OR because of your play style. 

Finally, your items make a HUGE difference, some heals for instance give a percentage, you can easily have 2000 more health if you focus on health items, then a 10 percent heal is 200 points EXTRA! If you build depends on healing this way, focussing on attack power is the wrong way to go.

I found that when I switched decks, yellow mobs became childs play or white mobs had me down to a sliver of health and dead if an add appeared.

1 deck to rule them all so far has not appeared.

Good info, in addition carriying a few potions will really help out in tougher fights. Having a self heal ability is pretty crucial to soloing after the first zone or two, especially if you don't have the heal items. I went blade and blood in CB, penetration and affliction set, and was doing fine as long as I did all of the quests in the previous zones - didn't have to repeat them though.

Originally posted by heartless

I've really ran into an issue during the "Scavengers" quest in the Blue Montain. If you haven't done this quest yet, prepare to ragquit a few times.

Yep, hardest quest I came across in beta :)