Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should GW2 release be postponed?

Comments

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,456
    Originally posted by fiontar

I'm enjoying TSW, but I'm already a third of the way through the third zone and there are only eight zones in the game. There is no replay value, as there is no redundancy of content and the story is what make's it worth playing. I think most people will be "done" with TSW well before the release of GW2, so this poll doesn't have much worth.

Pretty much what I've been foreseeing since day one about TSW. Just like SW:TOR, fun game, but for a couple of months only.

Originally posted by heartless

I think that GW2 is releasing perfectly. TSW has enough content for about a month. The game basically suffers from the same thing that SWTOR does: it's too story driven. After you're done with the story and the quests, there is really nothing else to do. I mean, you can do hardmode instances or replay the same missions all over again or do BGs but otherwise, you're pretty much done. There is also a persistant PvP zone but it's not really big and it's not really good, if I had to be honest.

August 28th launch is good because it gives people time to finish TSW's story and mission content.

And we have a winner.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• BlindchanceBlindchance Member UncommonPosts: 1,112

WTH are talking about ? GW2 is launching on 28th of August, two months after TSW release. That's plenty of time for many people to get bored with TSW. Not saying that lack of sub cost will allow them to keep playing their current p2p MMOs and try GW2. The game itself carries enough hype to attract players. This is not a small indie MMO.

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321

Just looking at the early start statistics ( web page traffic and Xfire) I don't think TSW has had much of a impact on any game either released or to be released. I seriously doubt there will be a huge rush to BB today and anyone interested in TSW is already playing.

I miss DAoC

• IrusIrus Member Posts: 774

I think postponing GW2 would be a bad decision right now. Fans are anticipating it, people put their money on it, game is close to finish. Mists of Pandaria are far more dangerous for GW2 than TSW. And August 29th is 2 months after TSW comes out, which gives plenty of time for TSW doubters to switch over.

TSW targets a rather different market to GW2, for one. Many people who want to get GW2 have no interest in TSW (like myself). I know people are not used to this, but two MMO's can coexist. And I hope TSW does well so people have more games to choose from and not try to put all features into one game.

Originally posted by Irus

Many people who want to get GW2 have no interest in TSW (like myself).

This is true of course, different games for different people.

What I also noticed though is quite a bunch of people here who only bought TSW because they are bored and have nothing else to do until GW2 is released. I had already noticed the same trend for SW:TOR, by the way, you had a bunch of "hopefully SW:TOR will keep me busy until GW2 is released".

After being in TSW's closed beta, I took another route and reactivated my WoW account and am doing some PvP. It's still more polished and balanced than the PvP in SW:TOR or TSW, and hopefully it will feed my MMO needs until August 25.

Respect, walk
    Yes, they are back !

• diabisdiabis Member Posts: 35
    Originally posted by VultureSkull

With what looks like a very good release of TSW would it not be wise for GW2 to postpond release until say end of September, that will give a full clear month after the free month you get with TSW.

Bearing in mind that GW2's main income will be from box sales they would want to maximize the opportunity and look for an ideal release time, so soon after the release of TSW could prove very damaging for the box sales.

With time a lot of players will get GW2 but releasing so soon after a good releasing AAA title can not help intended sales, they have waited this long another month cannot hurt.

TSW will be the one to worry on this, GW2 has already had one decent pre-order launch. As too players, GW2 has always prided their setup to allow for gamers to play more than one game. Thus Box sales, and Major Game expansion sales, It seems to be a strong business plan for them as well. But in the end if you wish to play TEW feel free GW2 will be there when you return, and with it scale down model if your friends are ahead of you they can still come back to play with you at your level. That is the beauty of this game, you can join in at any point and have fun. So for those that think School may get in way they need not worry. GW2 has the future of gaming locked in solid. I see the game world coming to a new way of thinking. Lets hope it keep evolving, it needed a kick in the bottom. I am tired of cookie cutting Asian games that you can say, that looks just like Game so and so things are just renamed.  GW2 hpye is right, there is something times many for everyone.

Look for the Rose with the Thorn.

• dreldrel Member Posts: 918
    Amen to the end of clone like Asian games.
    GW2 is so refreshing in its approach to MMO play, it will set the standard for MMO gameplay, as did WoW in it's day.

• evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118

According to Arena.net, 8/28/2012 is "when it's ready".  I'm good with that.....

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

• RinkieRinkie Member Posts: 19

But, But, I don't want to play a cartoon figures while having LSD flashbacks of the late 1960's... GW2 UI is beautiful but not when it comes to the actual character. I LOVE the concepts and game play of GW2!!! No more whining over who killed what or people crying that you stole my kill etc...

• Caliburn101Caliburn101 Member Posts: 636

The vote results clearly answer more eloquently than I can my opinion of the OP's point of view.

• ihatepugsihatepugs Member Posts: 61

I like how I see the secret world ad on the side bars.  What components of the secret world would pull players away from Guild Wars 2's fanbase?   

I don't see the two being much competition for each other.  If you paid for the secret world, I imagine, you're prepared to pay the subscription if it's fun.  Then, there's not much motivation to turn your head away to play Guild Wars 2 come release.  Sounds like an unnecessary survey for a hypothetical question that will not exist.  The game release date was announced.  Arenanet spent years avoiding a release date.  It was announced two months in advance because that's probably how long it takes for boxed editions to hit the shelves.  

The financial consequences, we can study in retrospect and see if it's a good idea in two months.  It'd be an interesting study, but the survey holds no meaning.  And an interpretation of the ultimate results would be at best a guess.  There could be many factors contributing to the game not doing well in sales.  School in session, sudden rise in lay-offs, the game having a crippling bug announced, poor advertisement, etc.  They don't seem to be on that huge ad campaign swing yet, so there's not much to project.  

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

I honestly thougt the GW2 release date was forced by TSW when I first heard.  They couldn't just let TSW roll to November, December . TSW would probably be gearing up for its 2nd or maybe 3rd content update by then. By then people would be commited and waiting on the 2nd or 3rd raid, and/or the new warzone.

Pressure is own now. Let's see if NCsoft/Anet can get her done by August 28. 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan
    Originally posted by fiontar

I'm enjoying TSW, but I'm already a third of the way through the third zone and there are only eight zones in the game. There is no replay value, as there is no redundancy of content and the story is what make's it worth playing. I think most people will be "done" with TSW well before the release of GW2, so this poll doesn't have much worth.

Pretty much what I've been foreseeing since day one about TSW. Just like SW:TOR, fun game, but for a couple of months only.

Originally posted by heartless

I think that GW2 is releasing perfectly. TSW has enough content for about a month. The game basically suffers from the same thing that SWTOR does: it's too story driven. After you're done with the story and the quests, there is really nothing else to do. I mean, you can do hardmode instances or replay the same missions all over again or do BGs but otherwise, you're pretty much done. There is also a persistant PvP zone but it's not really big and it's not really good, if I had to be honest.

August 28th launch is good because it gives people time to finish TSW's story and mission content.

And we have a winner.

Well if your only talking about the story content... That's just 150 hours.

If you are talking about the investigations, the sabatage, the faction and the regular quest not to mention the ability wheel (600 hours or so for completion) or the elite modes and pvp. A raid will probably becoming around mid september too. So..... not really a win when looking at it like that.  More of "We better nail this launch."

• DerpybirdDerpybird Member Posts: 991
    Originally posted by bcbully

I honestly thougt the GW2 release date was forced by TSW when I first heard.  They couldn't just let TSW roll to November, December . TSW would probably be gearing up for its 2nd or maybe 3rd content update by then. By then people would be commited and waiting on the 2nd or 3rd raid, and/or the new warzone.

What are you basing this statement on? You are suggesting 3 content updates in 5 months inlcuding possibly 3 raids and a new warzone, when at most I have read that Funcom plans on having 1 raid read "by the Fall."

Does Funcom have a history of frequent updated content and bug fixes for their MMOs?

Can you link the developer interview where they discussed, specifically, this aggressive release shedule?

Thanks in advance.

We know, specifically, what ANet has said regarding their post-launch content development plans. And based on history that they do in fact deliver new content regularly. Is there reason to doubt their launch window for GW2 or their post launch plans? And since it is B2P, my guess would be that the pressure is more on Funcom to keep people subscribed to meet their 500k sub + cash shop purchase projections.

"Loading screens" are not "instances".
    Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

Originally posted by Derpybird

What are you basing this statement on? You are suggesting 3 content updates in 5 months inlcuding possibly 3 raids, when at most I have read that Funcom plans on having 1 raid read "by the Fall."

Does Funcom have a history of frequent updated content and bug fixes for their MMOs?

Can you link the developer interview where they discussed, specifically, this aggressive release shedule?

Thanks in advance.

2 content updates per 6 months is pretty much the norm nowadays. If you read closely the parts that I highlighted you will see clearly what I said. No need to interpret.

2 content patches by december is not a stretch. 2 raids in those two patches, not a stretch either. Against all odds a 3rd raid in 6 months? Well RIFT did it. So it's not out the question, but it is a stretch for any developer. 

Do I have a link? No, but even Bioware got 3 content updates out in 7 months. Do I need a link for just 2 maybe 3 content updates in 6 months? 

• ConnmacartConnmacart Member UncommonPosts: 722

2nd or 3rd update by november december? You should be glad if Funcom manages the first one by then. Funcom was the one that was forced to release during the summer. It was the only viable release period for them and not have them having to scramble for subs right off the bat. Hell they even delayed 2 weeks due to Diablo 3. They've shown zero confidence in their game and they know TSW does not have any staying power after the 2 months. The game has zero replayability which means you can only grind and grind when done with the story. 

TSW simply was made to be a singleplayer RPG not an MMO.

• ConnmacartConnmacart Member UncommonPosts: 722

What are you basing this statement on? You are suggesting 3 content updates in 5 months inlcuding possibly 3 raids, when at most I have read that Funcom plans on having 1 raid read "by the Fall."

Thanks in advance.

2 content updates per 6 months is pretty much the norm nowadays. If you read closely the parts that I highlighted you will see clearly what I said. No need to interpret.

2 content patches by december is not a stretch. 2 raids in those two patches, not a stretch either. Against all odds a 3rd raid in 6 months? Well RIFT did it. So it's not out the question, but it is a stretch for any developer. 

Do I have a link? No, but even Bioware got 3 content updates out in 7 months. Do I need a link for just 2 maybe 3 content updates in 6 months? 

Go look at AoCs content updates. Don't give me that different team shit either. They simply won't be able to pump out content in any fast manner due to the engine.

• stevebmbsqdstevebmbsqd Member Posts: 448
    Originally posted by Connmacart

Thanks in advance.

Go look at AoCs content updates. Don't give me that different team shit either. They simply won't be able to pump out content in any fast manner due to the engine.

and you know this because you are a professional game developer and are familiar with the engine or are you just being the armchair developer that thinks he knows everything? 

delete
  • slicknslim88slicknslim88 Member Posts: 394

I voted NO, no reason to delay the game any longer, 5 years at least development time is long enough.  Release the game already!

Also those other MMO's that have come out recently such as TERA, TSW, and SWTOR aren't even on my radar simply because they have the P2P subscription model.  I'm not a broke person, but that payment type has become archaic and unnecessary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ns-IIn-DG-c

Brings up plenty of points on why current gen MMO's with the P2P sub model are destined to fail unless they evolve.  WoW is an exception simply because it rose up when that payment model was plausible and somewhat necessary.  This isn't 2004 anymore, and WoW as well as these other P2P MMO's need to wise up fast.

• VortigonVortigon Member UncommonPosts: 723

Originally posted by Krimzin
    The only reason TSW had a decent release is because there is "NOTHING" worth playing atm. So as the saying goes.. Something is better than NOTHING. I even considered trying TSW, but after one beta weekend.. Id rather poke out my eyes with a dull spoon, seems like a lot more fun.

+1

Saying that TSW is a threat in any way to GW2 is pure LOL

• AI724AI724 Member UncommonPosts: 249
    Originally posted by VultureSkull

With what looks like a very good release of TSW would it not be wise for GW2 to postpond release until say end of September, that will give a full clear month after the free month you get with TSW.

NONE SENSE!

What the hell is TSW?? 

yah.. exactly!

• p_c_sousap_c_sousa Member Posts: 620

TSW will almost none impact on GW2, TSW must "fear" GW2 not the contrary. both are great games but GW2 have much more attenttion/hype/etc.

just check the hits on MMORPG, GW2 is almost reach TOR on 1 year hits and TSW that already is release dont even came close to GW2.

i really dont see any competition from TSW, one is a P2P game other is  B2P (many will play both) and release date of GW2 is 2 month later than TSW isnt like they gonna be released at same time

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    [mod edit]

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

Originally posted by p_c_sousa

TSW will almost none impact on GW2, TSW must "fear" GW2 not the contrary. both are great games but GW2 have much more attenttion/hype/etc.

It's not even about hype or attention. It's about TSW's content nature.

In two months, many will have played through the totality of TSW at last once, just like it happened in SW:TOR. Those people will be looking for something new to play.

Respect, walk
    Yes, they are back !