Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Most disappointing MMO? [Poll]

Comments

• GreenHellGreenHell Member UncommonPosts: 1,323

Auto Assault

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

Where is the "All of the Above option" Because honestly every single one of those mmo's are garbage, they are all bascally the exact same wow-clone in a slightly diffrent looking skin, with nothing really unique to them at all.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Dungeons and Dragons online. It plays very little like the pen and paper version.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504
    Originally posted by AlBQuirky

Dungeons and Dragons online. It plays very little like the pen and paper version.

I was actually greatful it didn't play like tabletop D&D.

Personally I feel if you kept the IP, Dungeon Master, and archetypes (including stuff like rogues being trap-centric and traps being an important obstacle to deal with), but ditched all the deadweight D&D systems DDO did have, that the game would've played a lot better.

It had the potential to be a pretty damn fun game, but then it was shackled down by the deadweight of D&D 3rd Edition rules.

That's been the curse of most D&D videogames over the years though, so no real surprise.  Only a few games over the years (notably the Eye of the Beholder series) manage to break from the shackles of tabletop rules and really shine.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

Mortal Online, no doubt about it!

• ChingoChingo Member UncommonPosts: 128
    FFXIV hands down.

Disappointment after all is caused by falling short of expectations so many games in the list weren't really disappointments but more like fulfilling the (low to non-existent) expectations I had for them.
  • HeroEvermoreHeroEvermore Member Posts: 672

Guild wars 2. The others at least made it past beta on my computer.

If we are talking released games: Warhammer wins by a longshot. I thought it was the game to dethrone WoW. 100s of games later. I realize my folly lol. Some great ideas in WAR. just not done right at all. The content was so whacked out. Lets raid level 30 mobs as lvl 50s since it sthe only way it can be done. SO bad so so bad.

Hero Evermore
    Guild Master of Dragonspine since 1982.
    Playing Path of Exile and deeply in love with it.

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770
    Originally posted by Z3R01

I really wished the poll would fit more than ten selections. 

Would have added in Star Trek Online, Final Fantasy XIV,  Champions Online, Earthrise, Fallen Earth, Mortal Online, Xsyon, Vanguard , Lord of the Rings Online and a few others... 

Oh well. if any of those disappointed you more than whats on the list please post and let us know. 

Thanks.

If those were included I would have chosen Earthrise. It tried to do many things I wanted to see more of in MMOs like the skill system, large open world with open PvP, all with an action RPG feel but sadly it was a disappointment in every way. There is still a massive amount of work to be done if they are going to do a F2P relaunch.

Oh and Mortal Online isn't a disappointment...it's an abomination.

• Yodi2007Yodi2007 Member Posts: 167
    Originally posted by Z3R01

I really wished the poll would fit more than ten selections. 

Would have added in Star Trek Online, Final Fantasy XIV,  Champions Online, Earthrise, Fallen Earth, Mortal Online, Xsyon, Vanguard , Lord of the Rings Online and a few others... 

Oh well. if any of those disappointed you more than whats on the list please post and let us know. 

Thanks.

STO, FFXIV, Champions, and LoTR are bad lauches but have made huge strides to bring gamers back! FFXIV is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy better than before! the others i never tried!

I chose SWToR because it was a complete rip off of WoW! claimed game changing choices were going to affect you, when in reality it didn't change anything! There never were any real Wars in Swtor, on a pvp server you will almost never really run into any sith! Smugglers as a healer?

Below is where we can disscuss and come up with new ideas for Sandparks!

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/5164689#5164689

• NovusodNovusod Member UncommonPosts: 912

I vote TERA as I had really high hopes that this would be the ONE that breaks the WoW clone cycle of bad MMOs. Within five minutes of actually playing the game I realized my hope was in vain.

• timtracktimtrack Member UncommonPosts: 541

I think SWTOR is getting way to much bashing. It's a train of negative hype, and the sheep are hopping on it because they want to "belong".

Rating my experience with games coming out since WoW, i've had most fun in SWTOR, and recently TSW (but that's still in honeymoon so it doesn't count), and somewhat Rift. Most other games has had me log out after a few hours tops.

Darkfall on the other hand, has to be the ugliest most awkward game i've played to date.

*runs and hides*

• AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059

The only one that maybe belongs on that list is Warhammer Online.  Honestly Warhammer Online wasn't really that bad, it was just overhyped.  I'd say 3 other (AAA) MMOs were released in a worse state with a lot of hype:

1.  Star Trek Online

2.  Vanguard

3.  Final Fantasy XIV

None of these are on the list.

• WrenderWrender Member Posts: 1,386
    Originally posted by Quizzical

I've never played any of those games, and it's likely that I never will.  Low expectations to begin with make it hard for a game to be a huge disappointment.

Quizzical, If I may ask, what game do you play being a man of your great intellect?

:)

been wondering this for quite some time.

• WrenderWrender Member Posts: 1,386
    Originally posted by Magnum2103

The only one that maybe belongs on that list is Warhammer Online.  Honestly Warhammer Online wasn't really that bad, it was just overhyped.  I'd say 3 other (AAA) MMOs were released in a worse state with a lot of hype:

1.  Star Trek Online

2.  Vanguard

3.  Final Fantasy XIV

None of these are on the list.

These games should definetly be on that list!

• wasim470wasim470 Member Posts: 243
    Originally posted by timtrack

I think SWTOR is getting way to much bashing. It's a train of negative hype, and the sheep are hopping on it because they want to "belong".

Rating my experience with games coming out since WoW, i've had most fun in SWTOR, and recently TSW (but that's still in honeymoon so it doesn't count), and somewhat Rift. Most other games has had me log out after a few hours tops.

Darkfall on the other hand, has to be the ugliest most awkward game i've played to date.

*runs and hides*

Yes tbh, i was very happy with SWTOR i didn't expect more from it, and i played it for 5 solid months...... good solid game.

i did buy TSW with my guild but i don't think after the free month i'll log again.

• sketocafesketocafe Member UncommonPosts: 950

One reply aside, its almost like the people in this thread saying bad things about GW2 are entitled to share their opinions. What's going on here?

Diablo 3 I guess, it struck a huge blow to the reputation blizzard has (in my head) for putting out great products.

• FangrimFangrim Member UncommonPosts: 616

I was only fooled into buying one game on this list,Aion.Well i say fooled it was my own fault,I needed a change of MMO and just went for it instead of doing what I did with all others on the list,study them then dismiss them.So I didn't vote for any :)

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Dead even tie...  MOP and TESO

MOP continues the decay of a game that I once considered an amazing masterpiece of gameplay and polish.

TESO is so unlike Elder Scrolls that even as an Elder Scrolls fan I fail to see any appeal.

True neither are released yet, but they do represent top of my list in terms of disappointment.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • seridanseridan Member UncommonPosts: 1,202

I guess Warhammer Online is my choice. I bought it and played a couple of months but in the end I hated it and left.

Why is TSW on that list? Judging games by their beta or the first days of their live existance is silly

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

• Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675

I honestly don't get disappointed by anything because I have zero expectations.  I don't wait for anything.  I wait until it comes out and since I refuse to even consider playing anything until it's been in the wild at least 6 months, by which time there are plenty of reviews so I go into it with my eyes completely open.

Easier that way.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None

• RoxetteRoxette Member UncommonPosts: 56

From all those games listed I only did not play SWTOR. From the rest I can say that, for me, the most disappointing games are Warhammer Online and Rift. Warhammer was so amateuristic and Rift became boring quite fast and had a bad community over here. These 2 games only get from me (on scale 1 to 10) a 2 and a 3.

Although Tera is quite a good game, for sure a good game as a go in between, the lauch was absolutely at the wrong moment. Too much competition from other games launched at almost the same moment, the reason why the community is so small. Probably Tera will go f2p maybe even before the end of this year. Gameforge takes over the game from Frogster so that already a sign.

From all those games listed I think that Aion is far the best of 'em all. Playing it from Beta till about 1 month ago I had so much fun in game, which I never had on that level in other games.

The perfect game does not  exist so no one gets a 10 or even a 9.

Played: Guild Wars, AoC, Lotro, CoH, Warhammer, Tabula Ras, Spellborn, Second Life, Rift, Aion, Tera.
    Playing: Guild Wars 2, WoT

• raistalin69raistalin69 Member Posts: 575

star trek online. most over hyped yet terrible mmo ever.

was very dissappointed with swtor also... but at least it was borderline playable

IF THE ONLY DEFENCE FOR CRITICISM OF A GAME IS CALLING SOMEONE A TROLL OR HATER, THAT SAYS A LOT ABOUT THE QUALITY OF THE GAME

• judex99judex99 Member UncommonPosts: 392

Where the f*** is FFXIV on that list?

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

I would say Warhammer online...

It was somthing i was looking forward to for a very long time and sadly it didnt deliver...

I didnt vote for SWTOR because as soon as i started reading about it i knew exactly what it would be..

not sure why TSW is on there tho lol, was one of the least hyped games ive ever seen plus it rocks haha but thats my opinion i guess :)

• UtukuMoonUtukuMoon Member Posts: 1,066
    Originally posted by QuicklyScott

GW2 or Vanguard SoH GW2 really has jaded me,  I was so hyped for it, everyone was saying it would be the best thing since vanilla WoW, every Youtuber I was subscribed to was raving over it etc etc, I purposely didn't read much about it, sort of selectively read, to make it feel that much sweeter when I got my hands on it.  I played the BWs and absolutely hated it. Vanguard SoH had all the feature I could want in a MMO, I was so hyped for player housing, boats, huge world with no loading screens.... When i got to play it I felt sick it was so bad.

Vanguard has all the features you mention,so the only problem i can see you had was performace.
    Five plus years later Vanguard no longer has the performace issue it had at release.In fact it is one of if not the best PVE MMO made in the last six years.

Anyway,ill say Dark And Light.