Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who will sell most boxes? WoW MOP or GW2

SebberSebber Member Posts: 221

Who do YOU think that will sell most box and digital sales World of Warcraft expansion Mist of Pandaria or Guild Wars 2 in Europe and North Amercia?

With a little fanboyish I will say that I think Guild Wars will have the change to beat out WoW this time around, i feel like the release for GW2 is set in a very nice place and most people thinks that MOP will come out later in the year around Mid-Late September or Early October.

Comments

• newbinatornewbinator Member Posts: 780

There is no chance GW2 will sell more copies than MoP. And it doesn't have to. It doesn't need 10 million+ players to be successful.

• SebberSebber Member Posts: 221
    Originally posted by newbinator

There is no chance GW2 will sell more copies than MoP. And it doesn't have to. It doesn't need 10 million+ players to be successful.

Read the text in Red please, this is only for EU and NA. MOP is only going to sell around 4 million copies here.

• bhimabhima Member Posts: 81
    Originally posted by Sebber

Read the text in Red please, this is only for EU and NA.

Pretty sure his post still stands especially since there isn't any SUBSCRIPTIONS for WoW in Asia. I wish GW2 would sell more than MoP, but it doesn't really matter anyways. If it sells the 3.12 million in a year that some financial analyst predicted, it will be a rocking success financially.

• newbinatornewbinator Member Posts: 780

I read it. My previous statement stands. GW2 will not come close to MoP sales. People always do this, hype up an MMO before it launches to a lvl it cannot reach.

I read it. My previous statement stands. GW2 will not come close to MoP sales. People always do this, hype up an MMO before it launches to a lvl it cannot reach.

How many copies do you think MOP will sell then?

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,306

Read the text in Red please, this is only for EU and NA. MOP is only going to sell around 4 million copies here.

And you think GW2 will sell more than 4 million copies?

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

Originally posted by WhiteLantern

And you think GW2 will sell more than 4 million copies?

Yes i do, so far if you look around some numbers of pre-sales and pre-orders, Guild Wars 2 is almost at 1 million, around the 800-900k number.

• Schoeneck93Schoeneck93 Member Posts: 70

Newbinator, while I truly respect your opinion, but have you played GW2?

Its not hyped up man. People are playing it in betas, and at the end of the beta the first thing they are doing is getting onto the forums, quite literally, and leaving dozens of pages of thank you's to the dev team. 

After each beta, I can quite honestly say 85% of people would probably be just about begging for more. 

On another note, you obviously don't know ArenaNet. 

They are the most detail-meticulous company I've ever known. I've never found another MMO (especially triple A mmo) where the dev team is actually TALKING to the community, and responding to our forum posts. 

I've also never had an mmo have an update four hours after a really good suggestion on a forum post, just so they could add features that were suggested that very day. 

They are intuitive, creative, they are meticulous, and more than anything, they know *fun*. 

Sure, WoW will sell more copies. That's because its had like what... 8 years to build a playerbase? 

That does not mean in any way that its a better game.

Justin Bieber has the most views on YouTube. 

My point has been proven. 

• slicknslim88slicknslim88 Member Posts: 394

The biggest crippling disadvantage that MoP has that GW2 doesnt, is that you will need to have WoW and every previous expansion in order to play MoP, not only that, but you'll need a level 85 in order to play the new content (excluding the Panda area, which is just a starting area).  However, it's biggest advantage is that it's WoW and everybody has heard of it.

GW2 is it's own game, it's fresh, it's new, it's happening.  That's it's advantage.  But with it being new, not as many people know about the game.

We'll have to see when they are released.

• StriderXedStriderXed Member Posts: 257

WoW hands down. Didn't even have to second guess.

• LatronusLatronus Member Posts: 692
    Originally posted by Schoeneck93

Sure, WoW will sell more copies. That's because its had like what... 8 years to build a playerbase? That does not mean in any way that its a better game.

This is all you needed to say.

Originally posted by StriderXed

WoW hands down. Didn't even have to second guess.

You have to think about something, WoW players can still buy the game and play World of Warcraft as their primary game while having GW2 as backup. I feel like that because GW2 is going to be B2P with lots of content and quality for the bucks the sales are going to go throw the roof. Im not saying that GW2 is going to kill WoW or something stupid like that.

• anandaananda Member UncommonPosts: 45
    What is the timeframe we are talking about here? If it is number of copies sold at launch, or by end of year, or the year following launch, then yes, MoP hands down. But if it is over the lifetime of the product, like count the number after 10 years, then I'm willing to bet on gw2. Anet still has years and multiple expansions to attempt to outsell MoP, if not WoW itself. If they continue to do this well, I can see them pulling it off in a few years
    Originally posted by ananda
    What is the timeframe we are talking about here? If it is number of copies sold at launch, or by end of year, or the year following launch, then yes, MoP hands down. But if it is over the lifetime of the product, like count the number after 10 years, then I'm willing to bet on gw2. Anet still has years and multiple expansions to attempt to outsell MoP, if not WoW itself. If they continue to do this well, I can see them pulling it off in a few years

Well since i don't want to wait 10 years, i think we shall say by the end of the year.

• alexminoalexmino Member Posts: 132

the fact that something like 40% actually believe GW2 is going to sell more indicates 40% of the people have an extreme case of reality distortion.

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

If you're delusional then yes, you might think GW2 will outsell MoP. And that is coming from someone who prepurchased GW2 CE.

Does GW2 have a good number of pre-orders? Yes. But that's counting people like me who are already aware of it and are excited to see it release.

And the one person who made the arguement that MoP requires WoW and all its previous expansions is forgetting one thing . . . a huge segment of MMO gamers do, in fact, have WoW and it's expansions. It's not the largest mmo without a large install base.

To put this in perspective, Cataclysm, sold 3.3 million copies in the first 24 hours.  WotLK sold 2.8 million copies in the first 24 hours, with BC selling 2.4 million.  That should tell you a couple of things.

1. GW2 is only 1/3 of it's way to matching anything WoW related. And that's just talking about catching up to WoW's first 24 hour period sales let alone in total.

2. Each off WoW's xpacs have seen an increase in sales. 2.4 - 2.8 - 3.3 million. Will it continue to trend upwards?

Look, best thing everyone can do is to just stop talking about WoW unless you're playing WoW. What's the point? Enough is enough, WoW was/is successful, kudos to Blizzard for making a powerhouse of a game. It shouldn't affect your enjoyment of other mmos or the genre, just let it be already.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

Boxes? MoP then... most of GW2's purchases are digital. Add digital, however, and I think GW2 will ultimately surpass MoP.

Oderint, dum metuant.

Originally posted by Volkon

Boxes? MoP then... most of GW2's purchases are digital. Add digital, however, and I think GW2 will ultimately surpass MoP.

Well boxes and digital ofc, diden't want to make the title to long.

Originally posted by Volkon

Well boxes and digital ofc, diden't want to make the title to long.

I know... I just have an odd sense of humor. image

Oderint, dum metuant.

• rznkainrznkain Member Posts: 539

Can;'t believe some of you fanbois of GW2 think it will even be close MoP will destroy Gw2 in sales even with Gw2 being a B2P title.WoW is and will continie to be the top mmog dog until a game comes along that is good enough to dethrone it and Gw2 sure isn't the game that will do it.

Originally posted by rznkain

Can;'t believe some of you fanbois of GW2 think it will even be close MoP will destroy Gw2 in sales even with Gw2 being a B2P title.WoW is and will continie to be the top mmog dog until a game comes along that is good enough to dethrone it and Gw2 sure isn't the game that will do it.

Since you are most likely a wow player do you have friends that is going to play GW2 while still buying MOP, because i have heard from alot of forums that this is the case.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

well seems like this thread gone personal...

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

One reason for the thinking is that MoP is limited, effectively, to already existing WoW players. A new player can't simply buy MoP, if I'm not mistaken... they need all the pieces leading up to it. GW2, on the other hand, not only is the full game in one box/ purchase (being new, of course), but also has the no subscription thing going for it. That's makes it far less daunting for a gamer to give a try. Buy this, no subs... or buy that, has all these pre-requisites plus a sub. In addition there are also WoW players that will give GW2 a go while still sticking with WoW and MoP (effectively negating themselves from the formula by being a +1 on both sides).

So, in a nutshell, MoP is limited to current WoW players. GW2 has no limitations, plus will be far more tempting to someone that doesn't play WoW than MoP will.

Current estimates for GW2 sales, made by analysts over there in Korea for NCSoft shareholders and the market, estimate something like (I forget the exact value) 3.2 or 3.6 million sales of GW2 by years end. It's speculation, true, but speculation by speculators that speculate for a living and whose speculations can move millions of dollars.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• sirphobossirphobos Member UncommonPosts: 620

MoP will sell more by a good margin.  I don't think people realize just how huge WoW still is.

• WoopinWoopin Member UncommonPosts: 1,012

I am not a fan boy I have played both WoW and GW2 I like GW2 but needs alot of work and issues solving that I will not go into here.

He did say EU and NA so Asia is out of the window. I think it could do well in the long timeframe. If we are talking pre-orders WoW would do better. But overtime as long as ArenaNet carries on with the way they are going Guild Wars 2 could come out on top.

This does not mean however GW2 will be a WoW killer because to be honest WoW and GW2 are 2 different games. Plus the fact of B2P so you could easy play GW2 casual and sub to another game.

I think GW2 will do well but could sell more over time but we are talking a long timeframe.