Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Most disappointing MMO? [Poll]

Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

I find polls like these interesting. Usually they're posted once maybe twice  a year and they always change.

So i figured i would toss up a poll of everyones most disappointing mmo. Ill try to fit the most hyped AAA types in there but if i cant just let me know what game it was.

Poll:

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

Comments

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

I was mixed between Warhammer and Aion... but I had far less expectations of Aion... so...

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• ZezdaZezda Member UncommonPosts: 686

Pretty much Darkfall.. Warhammer is a close second.

SW:TOR didn't dissapoint me at all, I knew exactly what kind of game it was going to be. Anyone who got dissapointed by it never seen it for what it was before buying into it.

• 7star7star Member Posts: 405
    Originally posted by Zezda

Pretty much Darkfall.. Warhammer is a close second.

SW:TOR didn't dissapoint me at all, I knew exactly what kind of game it was going to be. Anyone who got dissapointed by it never seen it for what it was before buying into it.

This is a valid point.

But I think a lot of people were disappointed because of basically taking the Star Wars IP out of play for a major mmorpg world and offering up this game instead.  It's not just about the game itself. It's about "losing" the IP for a "better" game, especially considering the development costs of SWTOR and the final result.

Edit: That's why I chose SWTOR. I was also disappointed with Darkfall, but in spite of all the shit AV put that game through, I still had a good year's worth of fun -- with all that games problems.  A lot of things about DF were just stupid. But there were parts of it that were brilliant and truly innovative compared to other games on the market. Personally, though, Diablo 3 is my biggest disappointment. It's disappointing because I had high hopes for a game that long in development by Blizzard. It's disappointing because Blizzard is dead to me, now because of this game. I lost faith in theme and that is disappointing to me.  

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348

I've never played any of those games, and it's likely that I never will.  Low expectations to begin with make it hard for a game to be a huge disappointment.

• DarkmothDarkmoth Member Posts: 174

Easily SW:TOR, for me. I'd been a Bioware fanboy since Baldur's Gate, and I fully expected them to pull it off. I would have been disappointed by a mediocre MMO...the faceplant we got was shocking.

• QuicklyScottQuicklyScott Member Posts: 433

GW2 or Vanguard SoH

GW2 really has jaded me,  I was so hyped for it, everyone was saying it would be the best thing since vanilla WoW, every Youtuber I was subscribed to was raving over it etc etc, I purposely didn't read much about it, sort of selectively read, to make it feel that much sweeter when I got my hands on it.  I played the BWs and absolutely hated it.

Vanguard SoH had all the feature I could want in a MMO, I was so hyped for player housing, boats, huge world with no loading screens.... When i got to play it I felt sick it was so bad.

• InEccessInEccess Member UncommonPosts: 111

I voted for Warhammer Online. I had such huge expectations for the developers after playing DAoC for several years. I loved the Games Workshop brand of table top mini-warfare. Everything about this game seemed right as I was going in... and then I hit a wall. More acurately, a door. An undefended door. Several, undefended doors...  The game itself did not seem BAD... just, not what i was expecting. The keep management in Warhammer was nothing like what I remembered from my DAoC days. I no longer felt the need to defend what we captured, it was more profitable to take unoccupied keep after unoocupied keep than to stay and wait for a battle to take place. And that design choice is what killed my love for Warhammer Online long before the Tomb Kings expansion was ever released.

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

I really wished the poll would fit more than ten selections. 

Would have added in Star Trek Online, Final Fantasy XIV,  Champions Online, Earthrise, Fallen Earth, Mortal Online, Xsyon, Vanguard , Lord of the Rings Online and a few others... 

Oh well. if any of those disappointed you more than whats on the list please post and let us know. 

Thanks.

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• MexorillaMexorilla Member Posts: 313

Mythic/Bioware wins in a landslide.

• chryseschryses Member UncommonPosts: 1,453

Warhammer + Star Wars Online

The highlight of both games were the promo videos.  They were freaking awesome....then it went downhill fast.

Interestingly, I am a huge fan of both in RL.  Big downer

• escarretaescarreta Member Posts: 99

Diablo 3

• LegereLegere Member UncommonPosts: 123

wheres diablo 3 on that list?

• 7star7star Member Posts: 405
    Originally posted by Legere

We have to write it in. And we will. 

This thread will be long. *grabs popcorn*

• SeleniteSelenite Member UncommonPosts: 38
    Originally posted by QuicklyScott

GW2 or Vanguard SoH

GW2 really has jaded me,  I was so hyped for it, everyone was saying it would be the best thing since vanilla WoW, every Youtuber I was subscribed to was raving over it etc etc, I purposely didn't read much about it, sort of selectively read, to make it feel that much sweeter when I got my hands on it.  I played the BWs and absolutely hated it.

Vanguard SoH had all the feature I could want in a MMO, I was so hyped for player housing, boats, huge world with no loading screens.... When i got to play it I felt sick it was so bad.

You can only start hating on a game when its released and you've played past the beta priview.

And I don't know what kind of crap you were imagining, but it will probablly be one of the best mmos out there.

Also- ignorance is not an excuse. You can't blame a game for your own expectations. Its great for what it is so far, but sure it will fail in your eyes if you unrealistically waited the second coming that hugs you and tells you that you've lost weight.

As for myself, I guess warhammer and aion were my disapointments thought I still enjoyed aion a lot for the zergy pvp it had.

• 3-4thElf3-4thElf Member Posts: 489

SWTOR is what I voted for. Pretty terrible over all.

FFXIV is still one of the worse tho'. 

a yo ho ho

• eugheuforceeugheuforce Member UncommonPosts: 46

I'm not really disappointed with mmos. I'm disappoint how companies handle and do with their games.

- How passive BHS seems to Tera's future.

- How Gamerfirst is only draining APB, a game that could have been a true and unique jewel.

- How Nexon craps on euro players, how they just closed Mabinogi EU, losing our chars and stuff.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

DC Universe, but then again I pretty much wasn't expecting much. SWTOR I'd put at a close 2nd place. DC Universe just went to try and use fan service to keep attention, it felt way to cheap for me and even with improved upon graphics, it seemed steps below other super hero mmos using named heroes to make up for it lacking far more then the other games. 

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

Voted DCUO, but honestly I had bigger hopes for Champions (my expectations for DCUO were already reduced by CO's floppage.)

And really people...Diablo 3 as most disappointing MMO?  ...it's not an MMO.   I guess if you thought it was going to be an MMO that would explain why your expectations were nowhere close to what the game was...

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• odinsrathodinsrath Member UncommonPosts: 814

#1 on my list is darlfail..i mean darkfall

only because when shadowbane shut down their servers and most of the pop. went to play DF because DF was tooting their horn saying this will be the next and greatest pvp mmo sence shadowbane...we all know it didnt even come close

#2 would be warhammer because its just BLAH! no need to explain more

my list would include WoW and DAOC ...>>IMO<<   WOW failed hard in my eyes after TBC ..havent played it sence **ya i know it makes a zillion dollars with a zillion members**  and also i loved the pve in DAOC and the RvR was good also ..then it moved totally pvp...then moved totally EASYMODE to compete with the other easy mode mmo's out there..>IMO< i think a version of DAOC  with pure pve would had done great ...same can be said now as for pvp..but the mix was just imo a waste of time and now people paying for either of these games monthly seems to be a joke

image now this is dynamic!

• Pretender00Pretender00 Member Posts: 84

Final Fantasy XIV !!!  Bought it and didn't even play it more than 3 times before I knew I hated it. Worst game ever purchased.

• slickbizzleslickbizzle Member Posts: 464

Cataclysm

• HurvartHurvart Member Posts: 565

Lotro, AoC, Cataclysm, Diablo3. They are all disappointing. Difficult to decide if one of them is worse than the others.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

I cant vote for SWTOR, because I wasnt expecting much from it. How can I be disapointed in SWTOR if I wasnt hyped?

I voted Warhammer. Gamebyro was a bad decision.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• IrusIrus Member Posts: 774

SW:TOR, hands down.

"I should have known", but, alas...

• MexorillaMexorilla Member Posts: 313

Originally posted by escarreta

Diablo 3

Originally posted by Legere

not an mmo.