Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vanguard: Saga of Heroes: All About F2P

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The latest edition of the Vanguard Producer's Letter will strike joy into the hearts of fans of the game as it deals mostly with the transition from a subscription title to a hybrid subscription-F2P title. The letter comes complete with a handy membership matrix and an FAQ.

Over the next several weeks, we expect to begin rolling out a number of improvements throughout the game, in preparation for our free-to-play launch. And, as I mentioned earlier, we’ll need your help testing these changes in order to refine and finalize our improvements so expect to see many of our developers recruiting your help in the Vanguard forums soon!

Lastly, I want to answer the question I’m sure is at the top of your lists – the release date. We are planning our free-to-play transition this summer and as much as we’d love to share a specific date with all of you, we want to make sure we take the appropriate time to test and do this right so that way we’re ultimately delivering the best possible experience to our players. As I mentioned in my last Producer letter, we assembled our team with only the most passionate Vanguard developers. Therefore, you can rest assured that they’ve fought tooth and nail to acquire as much polish time as possible! ?

Read the full producer's letter on the Vanguard site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Xstatic912Xstatic912 Member Posts: 365
    Another quality F2P game.. talk about choices
  • finnmacool1finnmacool1 Member Posts: 453

Joy? Lol!!!

By far the worse of $oe free to login offerings. No global chat,restricted to "common" gear,15 quests max,2 bags,25 bank slots,1p max,etc.

You wont even be able to level crafting or diplo with green only gear, and you will need to be carried to level adventuring.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

Most fans will be pretty pissed off with this 'trial' model. Forced subscription means nothings changed.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991

Common gear = bad idea.

So close to being acceptable otherwise. Shame.

Joined - July 2004

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,821

Severely limiting access to races, classes, gear, gold and customer support is TOTALLY going to get free people to pay the monthly fee that they refused to pay for the past 5 years.

Yet another failed attempt at a free to play conversion.

Why do these publishers think that a severely limited extended free trial with an optional $15 monthly fee is going to save a failed MMO with a $15 monthly fee?

• BaneInsaneBaneInsane Member Posts: 11

and to think i was looking forward to this. Shame.

• ZolbZolb Member UncommonPosts: 53

its not really much different to what they implemented in EQ2 and to be honest that is a little pointless unless all you want to do is run basic quests and a little crafting.

was looking forward to the F2P model to see if i like it but seeing as it so limiting i doubt i will bother.

• jessie360jessie360 Member Posts: 65

Saw F2P, got excited.

Saw their matrix, no more excitement.

What a stupid decision.  They are trying to lure players in and then as soon as they realize they can't even equip QUEST REWARDS they will never both with this trash set up again.  Do like LoTRO and DDO does, and offer decent items in a cash shop.

Wait, look who I'm talking about.  It's SOE.  They don't care about their customers, just the customer's wallets.

• OntblodOntblod Member UncommonPosts: 195

I would happily pay for this game if they fix that horrible lagging you get for a few seconds every time you are entering different "zones"/areas, may seem like a small deal but after a while Im annoyed and it kills the game for me.

I see no other Sub-based MMO that are interesting in the near horizon so I might as well go back to Vanguard.

• Xstatic912Xstatic912 Member Posts: 365
    The whole idea is to give you a taste and hope that taste is enough to get you to pay for at least one month.. And in doing so, see the major difference between pay and free.. Lol it might work on some person
  • Preacher26Preacher26 Member UncommonPosts: 381

SOE is horrible.

They shouldnt be allowed to deem their games as F2P... trials are less restricted

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

Funny to see how $O€ tries to revive a dead game with the worse Premiun system ever. Not that I'm surprised that $O€ comes up with a shitty plan like this though...

One question though... Free players have no housing, but what about boats..?

Sad time for VG is coming. I think this will give it some interest, perhaps even doubling playerbase and get 300 players during peak hours? *LOL* Most certainly the current subscribers will preobably quit and the new player will quit within the month when they find out how limited this matrix is...

RIP Vanguard

• MasterChaosXMasterChaosX Member Posts: 52

Idiot companies like SOE should learn from NCSoft

They know how to do a F2P model

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

there are TWO really superb models for free/mium or ftp games (turbine's and L2) why must sony try to weasel even more out of people.

they should take notice that turbine is making money off LOTRO hand over fist, and that's in spite of many thousands of people not paying a dime since launch (when they bought lifetime accounts).

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• jessie360jessie360 Member Posts: 65
    Originally posted by Reizla

Funny to see how $O€ tries to revive a dead game with the worse Premiun system ever. Not that I'm surprised that $O€ comes up with a shitty plan like this though...

One question though... Free players have no housing, but what about boats..?

Sad time for VG is coming. I think this will give it some interest, perhaps even doubling playerbase and get 300 players during peak hours? *LOL* Most certainly the current subscribers will preobably quit and the new player will quit within the month when they find out how limited this matrix is...

RIP Vanguard

What a way to go!  Would you say that SOE is trying to drive the final nail in the coffin?  They are doing an unprecedented move by attracting new players to the game, giving them nothing and expecting them to subscribe, annoying the subscribers.  Then the subscribers quit.  Since the F2P matrix is a joke, the free players quit.  Dead game.  SOE has succeeded.  Flawless victory.

(Semi) Joking.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by jessie360
     They are trying to lure players in and then as soon as they realize they can't even equip QUEST REWARDS they will never both with this trash set up again.  Do like LoTRO and DDO does, and offer decent items in a cash shop.

there are still unknowns

reading the soe forums,  http://forums.station.sony.com/vg/posts/list.m?topic_id=57638

on test server,  newbie quest rewards that used to be yellow gear have been changed to green (common) gear -- that may have happened for other quest gear too

also unknown are cash shop unlockers

SOE has always stunk for communication and should have given more information about unlockers and quest gear changes on test server

the final matrix SOE makes available will probably have more unlockers than just Race/Class/Broker access

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223
    Originally posted by Preacher26

SOE is horrible.

They shouldnt be allowed to deem their games as F2P... trials are less restricted

Yeah, I know... I tried out the EQ2X version of EQ2 and it was not that good in comparison to the "real game". I am not surprised what they are doing with VG to be honest, but they are even more limiting with VG than they were with EQ2X.

Sigh...

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

• BekaBeka Member UncommonPosts: 59

Complete fail on their F2P model, which is really just a very limited free trial. Aion/L2 is the model they should have followed or just offer a one time B2P like Guild Wars. I'm not going to bother with this at all even though I was really looking forward to exploring the game. What a shame.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

Well, I posted this in another thread:

When you begin playing Vanguard, you default to the Free level of play. That means you have access to most of the content in the world of Telon. You can create characters in seven classes, from six different races, and you have tons of gameplay at your fingertips. However, there are certain content, feature and service limitations that are only unlocked through a la carte item purchases or by upgrading your membership to another tier

That might not be so bad if it's only 10 dollars or so.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • liquescentliquescent Member UncommonPosts: 145
    I do not like this at all.
    Basically you have to subscribe to get to get anything at all.
    I wouldn't pay for it before and I won't pay for it now.
  • KenzeKenze Member UncommonPosts: 1,217

the Vanguard community is NOT going to be welcoming to f2p users.  they should open a New server(no xfers) when the game goes F2P

Watch your thoughts; they become words.
    Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits.
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
    —Lao-Tze

• bigcheeseukbigcheeseuk Member UncommonPosts: 133

SOE should have done this with SWG

• dead2soondead2soon Member Posts: 149

The item limitations are a complete joke. Why bother trying this with such a severe limitation.

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    Originally posted by Kenze

the Vanguard community is NOT going to be welcoming to f2p users.  they should open a New server(no xfers) when the game goes F2P

Why do you say that?  The Vanguard community has been saying that they need more people.  Why would they shun new people? 

According to you, this is what you will see;  Lf2m, sub customers only.