Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vanguard Free-to-play details at Massively

Comments

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

Worse than the EQ2X restrictions, SOE never learns.

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380

True, but I was just looking for something to tie me over until gw2 and I think this fits the bill.

On a side not, even with all of the various classes available with Vanguard, I never really liked any of them.

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

Vanguard needs players.  Lets make it F2P.  Lets put a item limitations on free players, so they'll have to subscribe to complete the content where our subscriberbase needs new players!

...lol

Normally this sort of thing doesn't bother me because I look at 90% of P2P conversions as extended free trials rather than something anyone could actually play for free long-term, but Vanguard is a game that could truly be great if it had the population to support it.  I suppose it was foolish to think SOE would implement a system not unlike what you'll find in Aion or Lineage II.

I can't really see this system increasing the playerbase whatsoever.  I think there will be a short spike in activity for the first couple of months after its conversion, and SOE will seem some cash shop revenue.  After that, I think the game will once again fall off the radar once everyone's curiosity goes away.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

Absolute rubbish. Item restrictions and currency limits.. this kind of crap needs to be removed from FTP models. I can handle race and class limitations and I can handle some content limitations but restricting core gameplay elements means I will not be revisiting this game. I'd even be happy with cash shop option to remove those limits perminantly. Shame really..

Fact:

Some limits can't be removed using cash shop (Forced Subscription) = Not FTP

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • InFlamestwoInFlamestwo Member Posts: 662
    Originally posted by SuperXero89

Normally this sort of thing doesn't bother me because I look at 90% of P2P conversions as extended free trials rather than something anyone could actually play for free long-term, but Vanguard is a game that could truly be great if it had the population to support it.  I suppose it was foolish to think SOE would implement a system not unlike what you'll find in Aion or Lineage II.

Aion doesn't use P2W, they have a cash-shop with cosmetic items and XP buffs etc.

BUT THIS SHIT IS BULLSHIT. SONY ONLINE ENTERAINMENT ARE ASSHOLES MADE OF SHIT.

EDIT: In before ban.

• RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Member UncommonPosts: 1,365
    Originally posted by Kost

Worse than the EQ2X restrictions, SOE never learns.

ya, was really hoping they would lean more toward the less restrictive gameplay/more cash shop vanity stuff model we've been seeing around as of late.

i guess in hindsight vg may not lend itself to vanity items?

my personal problem with these SOE games is they seem to live perpetually in a sort of "not quite worth paying a sub for this old game" and "not quite fun enough with all the f2p restrictions."  so it ends up a choice between "not worth it" and "not worth it."  thats just my subjective take though, i'm in no way saying they are bad games.  just the implementation SOE does with f2p is not my cup of tea!

Originally posted by InFlamestwo

Aion doesn't use P2W, they have a cash-shop with cosmetic items and XP buffs etc.

EDIT: IN BEFORE BAN

Read my post before you quote it next time.

Sorry i read the sentence wrong. 

But agree with me, if you have played Vanguard or any other game SoE owns,  SoE deserves to go bankrupt and stop producing games or lay their hands on one.  

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

I think using the double negative 'not unlike' instead of just saying 'like' caused the confusion.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

So, basically they are just really giving the client away free (to a market where most of the returning players will already have it anyhow), and keeping a mandatory sub?

So, really, they haven't changed anything except put a cash shop into the game and set up what could be considered a trial?

Not really the life saving revolution many were hoping for I wouldn't think

Originally posted by Vannor

I think using the double negative 'not unlike' instead of just saying 'like' caused the confusion.

Yes that is why i read the sentence wrong. "like" would have been better used as you said.

• csthaocsthao Member UncommonPosts: 1,121

Such rediculous rules set in...Yet again they fear their baby EQ2 will be surpassed by a superior game so they make strict rules against it.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
  • itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    Originally posted by Ruandel

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/07/03/free-to-play-details-for-vanguard-released/

Really sad about the common items limit. :(

Guess they haven't heard of the LOTRO model altho the perfect model has no content restrictions and allows you to gather currency for the store from inside the game itself without the need for paying money.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

It doesn't seem bad at all:

When you begin playing Vanguard, you default to the Free level of play. That means you have access to most of the content in the world of Telon. You can create characters in seven classes, from six different races, and you have tons of gameplay at your fingertips. However, there are certain content, feature and service limitations that are only unlocked through a la carte item purchases or by upgrading your membership to another tier

And that could be fair if it's only a few bucks to do so.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • NavyJackalNavyJackal Member Posts: 82

That is disappointing. 1 plat gold limit??? are you fucking kidding me SoE, cocksukcers eat my dick and chew on it please.  Common items?? Seriously suck on a huge fucking ugly cock and choke on it. Played Vanguard for 2 years and had to play with bugs and empty servers and halfassed graphics, slow combat and most armoured looked like shit. Now you do this shit?  I hope no one will play Vanguard. SoE is worse than Blizzard ever will become. Pieces of shit.

NEVER PLAY A GAME OWNED BY SONY ONLINE ENTERIANMENT. IT'S FUCKING BULLSHIT.THEY DIDN'T EVEN CREATE VANGUARD, THEY BOUGHT IT FROM SIGIL CAUSE SIGIL WERE BROKE AND THEN SOE MADE AS MUCH CASH AS THEY COULD AND GAVE THE PLAYERS NOTHING BUT UPDATES ONCE A YEAR AND THE UPDATES INCLUDED MORE GRIND. ASSHOLES.

My my my....Rage much?

• mmofanaticmmofanatic Member UncommonPosts: 136

At first when I was reading it over. It sounded a lot better than some other models, at least getting the 7 free classes. Which is better than EQ2 which gives 4 free I believe.

But the common item thing doesn't seem like it will be much fun. I can't remember the colors but wouldn't common be below green? That would mean only white items right? That sounds terrible.

• BattlestormBattlestorm Member UncommonPosts: 136

I couldn't have said it better myself. I was a long-time fan of Vanguard. I played beta, ran through APW quite a few times, got up to level 50 on numerous characters/spheres, stuck around to run a great guild . . . but then the updates stopped, the problems weren't getting fixed fast enough, there was never any good content being added, then, the final straw, they began to make the game easier. I left, then came back for a bit, but nothing changed, so I left again. When I heard that SEO was FINALLY hearing players talk about their interest in a FTP model I admit, I got excited, but I also knew this was SOE we were talking about. I laughed when I first read about the restrictions on EverQuest II's free-to-play model. Now after reading the restrictions on Vanguard's F2P model I realized that I would never return. This game is still hardcore and common items will simply NOT cut it in any way, shape, or form. This game would have been it for me, it truly would have, but it's officially a bust. It's a great game with amazing content . . . that nearly hasn't changed since launch. Anyone remember the promise of Berserker and Inquisitor classes? LOL, it's all been shot down and drown. Time to hang up the Vanguard: SOH hat. It's an extremely sad state of affairs for me. Goodbye Vanguard, we'll miss you . . . and everything you stood for before Sony gutted your soul and then sold you out.

• BiskopBiskop Member UncommonPosts: 709
    Sounds like a pretty stupid model, few people will dish out 15 bucks per month for a 5 year old game, and even fewer will stick around with all these restrictions.

Too bad, this was really VG's last chance..
  • VultureSkullVultureSkull Member UncommonPosts: 1,774

Lol do these guys live in a bubble?

GW2 is releasing next month and that is F2P with no restrictions!

Vanguard going F2P after 8 years or so, should be Free to play with no game restrictions (perhaps character slots or something out of game), not this trickery and pokery they are trying to pull.

I doubt they will get many people flooding to their doors with this model. Unfortunately.

They ignore the game for so long, perhaps cos they think it is crap and now they cannot even make it a proper f2p. Make up your minds SOE, either make it a P2P game and invest in it properly or give it up for free stop dithering cos that pisses both sides off!

• pierthpierth Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

The F2P matrix looks like absolute garbage as is, but if they allow upgrades to the quality threshold in the CS (same with money limit) I can see it still be playable.

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

For the life of me I can't figure out why anyone would think anything good would come out of F2P.  Sure it's SOE, I defiantly don't like them, but F2P mmo's don't have any lasting value no matter who makes them.

Their were always options to increase the population.  SOE never ever tried :

- Don't think adding the trial Island was something.  It was good, but the only reason it was made is because it had to be done....Like everything SOE does the minimum.

- SOE only offered free time to past players.  Same people over and over.

- SOE never ever advertised.  Years ago, SOE sent out e-mails to past players, but again the same exact old players, not to the public.

_ SOE never fixes their mmo's.  They only patched in new content.  They never looked back to fix broken content ( no money in fixing )

• EthianEthian Member Posts: 1,216

That is disappointing. 1 plat gold limit??? are you fucking kidding me SoE, cocksukcers eat my dick and chew on it please.  Common items?? Seriously suck on a huge fucking ugly cock and choke on it. Played Vanguard for 2 years and had to play with bugs and empty servers and halfassed graphics, slow combat and most armoured looked like shit. Now you do this shit?  I hope no one will play Vanguard. SoE is worse than Blizzard ever will become. Pieces of shit.

NEVER PLAY A GAME OWNED BY SONY ONLINE ENTERIANMENT. IT'S FUCKING BULLSHIT.THEY DIDN'T EVEN CREATE VANGUARD, THEY BOUGHT IT FROM SIGIL CAUSE SIGIL WERE BROKE AND THEN SOE MADE AS MUCH CASH AS THEY COULD AND GAVE THE PLAYERS NOTHING BUT UPDATES ONCE A YEAR AND THE UPDATES INCLUDED MORE GRIND. ASSHOLES.

rofl

I stay away from anything SOE, where its games or anything else. Pile of trash company doesnt deserve a dime out of my pocket

"I play Tera for the gameplay"

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188

Atleast they can do is lower the monthly fee. For god sakes the game has been such a fail for many years but yet you're going to try to squeeze player's wallets dry with a failed mmo. Typical SOE.

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/