Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: FINALLY!

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

We suspect that the single word "finally" in conjunction with "Guild Wars 2" is pretty self-explanatory. But just in case it isn't, this week's Guild Wars 2 column ought to set you straight. Keep reading!

I’ve waited a long time for some games in the past, following every bit of detail of their development stages till release. I’m sure that if you’re a gamer you’ve probably have done it a couple of times. Guild Wars 2 is one of the really special games for me. Not only did the previous game entertain me, it taught me how to be better at my job. The stuff I’ve heard during the past couple of years, and actually witnessing for myself in small chunks, made me eager to experience it and learn even more. I know earlier this year they said it would be happening soon, but now that there is an actually number that replaces the word soon, it’s like all this waiting and believing is going to pay off.

Read more of David North's Guild Wars 2: FINALLY!

This may, or may not, but an accurate representation of how I celebrated the Guild Wars 2 release date. I call this handmade costume, The Year of the Dragon.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Meh, I'm still thinking about whether or not it's worth preordering.  image 

Maybe soon.

Glad the long wait is over for the fans though, their patience will soon be rewarded.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156

I'm happy you're excited for the gane David and i like your article, but i'm going to disagree with only 1 point:

"Hit all of the milestones you want to hit, because when this game comes out there’s a good chance you won’t give any attention to other titles for a good long while."

I do have an interest in GW2 for sure, but, 3 months is all i expect rom the game, so i'll have tons of time for other games once i run out of stuff to do.

Also, y u no use Shatterer costume to celebrate release?

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090

David, keep in in your pants, buddy.  Goodness gracious.  Anyway, I'm still debating whether to pre-purchase it.  Not sure the game excites me enough to warrent pre-purchasing.  I may wait until release and then check it out.  None of my friends are interested in it, so I don't have access to anyone's account to try out the beta.   

• illyanaillyana Member UncommonPosts: 614

i remember that tweet last June28
    F5ing GW2 twitter page
    then...
    it just said "Get ready and tell you friends"
    made me watch a minute of Youtube video then BOOM! 8-28-12
    it took several seconds for it to register, did i just see the release date?
    i was literally shaking when i retweeted it and logged into Facebook to tell my alliance
    in the next few minutes guildies were commenting, some more excited than i was
    went to this forum to make sure that they also heard
    it took abt 3 hours for my excitement to dissipate so that i can get on with my day
    im happy that very soon i will be back in Tyria

Have fun storming the castle! - Miracle Max

• DjildjameshDjildjamesh Member UncommonPosts: 406

well someone's excited.... o_O

• Mike-McQueenMike-McQueen Member UncommonPosts: 267

First game worth playing in a long time. Can't wait.

I'm a unique and beautiful snowflake.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Can't wait, been waiting on GW2 and Planetside 2 for while now. I'm more excited about Planetside 2 though. I'm not really a fan of the first GW, but after trying the beta of GW2 I really enjoyed it. It made me want to buy all of GW1 and get the Hall of Monuments items to 30/50. I'm no fanboi of any company, these 2 titles I'm looking forward to, hope they keep us happy for a good many years. I'll be playing both GW2 and Planetside 2 since they both have no sub fees. I suspect Planetside 2 will have most of my time though once it's released. I loved the original Planetside.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• MsGamerladyMsGamerlady Member UncommonPosts: 192

Cute dragon suit pic. I'd like to see an acutal photo though :D

• slygamer1979slygamer1979 Member UncommonPosts: 101

I've asked this question alot after playing the GW2 beta's and i'll ask one more time...

is it weird that when i play GW2 i get an erection ?

• kastakasta Member Posts: 512

I'm excited for GW2 but for the love of god don't force that awful GW1 on me.

• IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507
    Originally posted by Suzie_Ford

We suspect that the single word "finally" in conjunction with "Guild Wars 2" is pretty self-explanatory. But just in case it isn't, this week's Guild Wars 2 column ought to set you straight. Keep reading!

What about those of you who have no interest in the first game at all?  My only advice for you right now is to finish up whatever game you are playing now.  Hit all of the milestones you want to hit, because when this game comes out there’s a good chance you won’t give any attention to other titles for a good long while.  The stress tests last Wednesday was even extended for an extra hour, and it still felt like I had only played for 45 minutes.  This game will just suck you in.

Read more of David North's Guild Wars 2: FINALLY!

This may, or may not, but an accurate representation of how I celebrated the Guild Wars 2 release date. I call this handmade costume, The Year of the Dragon.

Well, I think 45 min plus 1 hour equals 1 hrs and 45 min David. 

Bear this in mind, though, before you quit all your current games (unles Facebook ones)...ArenaNet have gone on the record stating that GW2 does not have an endgame. They didn't want the raid model in GW2, so if you like end-game raiding then WoW, RIFT, or SWTOR may be better bets as a game.

Also, ArenaNet are very keen on the casual PvP set. Now that means you won't have stuff like arenas or ranked warzones either in GW2. 

So, while the game will be fun I think, I would play it as a secondary mmo and enjoy the game for a few months while you get through what it has to offer.

• BlindchanceBlindchance Member UncommonPosts: 1,112

lol someone is really hyped up for this title. GW2 offers few really fun features, but I doubt it's the second coming of Jesus. Even so I'm going to play it and that's more then I can say about most MMOs.

• DakirnDakirn Member UncommonPosts: 372

The amount of hype for this game is going to leave a lot of people disappointed.

It's shiny now because you have so little access to it.  I'm honestly surprised that nobody even cares about how they got their "crumbs" that have been thrown to them once a month.

Everyone who pre-purchased when it was announced has literally funded the finishing of the game.  It'll be about 5 months after you purchased (and payed for) the game.  In return we got a few days to test it every month.

I see repeated posts about the evils of Funcom and Sony but none about ArenaNet and how this pre-purchase worked. 

The shine of this game is going to wear off quickly especially with all of the over-hype.  I already groan whenever I see yet another article on the game while there are literally hundreds of other MMOs on the market or in development.

I guess I'm just sad to read hype opinion threads over and over again.  I'm afraid the backlash of GW2 is going to be huge when it's not the holy grail so many think it's going to be.

• BlindchanceBlindchance Member UncommonPosts: 1,112

Dakrin, for me GW2 squeezes out the most from what theme park tab-targetting MMORPGs can offer and serves in the best possible way. The combat is fun ( for once ) , the quest/grouping/chain events systems are fun as well. Top it with the nice level downgrading feature and rewarding exploration and I am happy.

• nuttobnuttob Member Posts: 291
    Originally posted by Blindchance

Dakrin, for me GW2 squeezes out the most from what theme park tab-targetting MMORPGs can offer and serves in the best possible way. The combat is fun ( for once ) , the quest/grouping/chain events systems are fun as well. Top it with the nice level downgrading feature and rewarding exploration and I am happy.

I totally agree.  When I played the betas, one of the things that totally hooked me was the fact you end up in groups without having to be invited.  I am mainly a solo player, and found myself "grouping" more than in any other game I have played previously.  I am certain that I will be playing this game for a long time to come.

• thekid1thekid1 Member UncommonPosts: 789

Good. Hopefully a free trial will follow soon.

• FangrimFangrim Member UncommonPosts: 616
    Originally posted by nuttob
    Originally posted by Blindchance

I totally agree.  When I played the betas, one of the things that totally hooked me was the fact you end up in groups without having to be invited.  I am mainly a solo player, and found myself "grouping" more than in any other game I have played previously.  I am certain that I will be playing this game for a long time to come.

First of all I am happy you like the game but you didn't join a group,you ran around solo doing what everyone else was doing in a zerg with little or no communication as in chat .For me its chaotic and the reason there is no point in grouping is no trinity no point to group.Everyone is dps dodge class.

• XPraetorianXXPraetorianX Member CommonPosts: 107
    I have had a blast every time I have logged in to GW2. Very fun game for sure. That said I am now conflicted. Don’t get me wrong I have already pre ordered and love the game (what I have played so far anyway). I am just conflicted because OMG TSW is so much better than I thought it was going to be. I compare it to waiting all year for Prometheus. However before I saw Prometheus. There was this movie called the Avengers that came out of left field and sucker punched me with its AWESOMENESS.  I was still very anxious to see Prometheus but once I did I found myself saying wow Avengers was better. I only saw the Avengers because my son wanted to watch it and it TO ME was more fun. Well I hope the same thing does not happen here. Who knows maybe TSW will turn out to be shallow and after a month of playing it my feelings will change and I’ll be ready for GW2. That said as it stands right now  TSW literally keeps getting better and better with each hour played.
  • nyxxisnyxxis Member Posts: 62

I have been following GW2 since I played the GW trial, I liked GW but was not in a position to buy it at the time. I pre-purchased and played in the beta events and never made it to level 10. I leveled slowly on purpose. One I did not want to ruin the game for myself, and second I was having so much fun doing all the little things like collecting morters and saving puppys that I did not want to rush away from those things. Reguardless of if it the second coming or not I WANT TO HAVE FUN! I know that fun is not what people look for in games anymore but I like to be in the old school crowd of wanting to have fun and it not being a second job.

This is great article, and I am perfectly okay and happy that I was "duped" by Anet to buy the game. I love that people actually say it is a bad thing to offer pre-purchase just so they can finish a game many have been waiting for. The the author...hope to see you in game...to the haters...Hope to see you in game too, you never know, you might actually have fun.

All Murlocs must die horrible, painful, bloody deaths!

• DakirnDakirn Member UncommonPosts: 372
    Originally posted by nyxxis
    This is great article, and I am perfectly okay and happy that I was "duped" by Anet to buy the game. I love that people actually say it is a bad thing to offer pre-purchase just so they can finish a game many have been waiting for. The the author...hope to see you in game...to the haters...Hope to see you in game too, you never know, you might actually have fun.

I'm not a hater. I pre-purchased the first day and plan to play it, too.  However.. if another company tried the same "buy to finish the game" scenario they would be burned at the stake.

I'm afraid that when the shine of GW2 wears off for people they're going to be even more jaded about MMOs than they already are... making the gaming community an even worse place to be.

Some of the shine of GW2 has already worn off for me (after maxing my weapon skills in the first few levels they don't really matter, the new tiered Ability point system..ugh).  The Trait points are interesting but were also now tiered (the best things requiring an entire commitment to a line) and I see GW2 less about choice and your own uniqueness than it used to be.

• AnirethAnireth Member UncommonPosts: 940

ArenaNet didn't need the money to finish the game, they aswell as NCSoft, who is backing them 100% are in very good standing financially. They did the prepurchase thing because it's always good to have more money earlier aswell as to filter for the beta, instead of making a lottery for keys or going through the whole million people that registered in the 50 hours that it was open.

Note that that's different from buying beta access, in that the beta is just a "random" extra the customer gets for buying way before release. They could have thrown in dinner with Colin Johanson instead, or getting a card with the signatures from the whole team.

The customer gets an extra, and they get the money early - nothing wrong with that.

Other companies cut essential parts of the game to sell it as DLC, so you have to buy stuff after you already bought the game itself to have the full game, and if people don't buy enough DLC, they won't release the rest, meaning they never finish the game, even though it's already released.

I'll wait to the day's end when the moon is high
    And then I'll rise with the tide with a lust for life, I'll
    Amass an army, and we'll harness a horde
    And then we'll limp across the land until we stand at the shore

• zellmerzellmer Member UncommonPosts: 442

HUNDREDS upon HUNDREDS of bugs and a lot of other problems including the obvious stuff like the other areas..

Seems like this could go very bad come launch day...

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223
    Originally posted by illyana

i remember that tweet last June28
    F5ing GW2 twitter page
    then...
    it just said "Get ready and tell you friends"
    made me watch a minute of Youtube video then BOOM! 8-28-12
    it took several seconds for it to register, did i just see the release date?
    i was literally shaking when i retweeted it and logged into Facebook to tell my alliance
    in the next few minutes guildies were commenting, some more excited than i was
    went to this forum to make sure that they also heard
    it took abt 3 hours for my excitement to dissipate so that i can get on with my day
    im happy that very soon i will be back in Tyria

I wish I could get this excited about a game release. I used to, but not since 2003 *sigh*.

I am glad you are so happy to know when GW2 is going to be released. With all of the excitement I hope it turns out to be as good as so many people on here make it out to be.

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

• IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507
    Originally posted by zellmer

HUNDREDS upon HUNDREDS of bugs and a lot of other problems including the obvious stuff like the other areas..

Seems like this could go very bad come launch day...

The hype will overide a lot of that, but they do detract a bit from the gaming experience. As I wrote above a solid secondary mmo, but with no end-game you may not be playing for so long. 

• DfixDfix Member UncommonPosts: 238

The launch of Guild Wars 2 comes at a perfect time for me. The new expansion for FFXI is months away and I'm just about finished with current content. This will give me plenty of time to experience GW2 and get quite a bit done before "Seekers of Adoulin" is released later in 2013.

Vivik-Cerberus