Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

how has gw2 not hit over 9.0 on mmorpg.com

Comments

• ClobClob Member Posts: 130
    Originally posted by ChromeBallz

WoW, Everquest 2, Age of Conan, Darkfall, to name just a few where the hypetrain was massive way before the game came out.

That, and GW2 doesn't have that big of a hype. Almost everyone who's looking forward to GW2 is playing or has played GW1 - I don't really know many people outside of that sphere who are that hyped for that game. I certainly am not. The only thing it has is pretty awesomely designed environments, otherwise it felt like yet another EQ derivative. A decent one, mind you, but derivative nonetheless.

I respectfully disagree with your statement that only prior GW players are hyped.  There's quite a bit of evidence to the contrary, and possibly enough to state that longtime players of GW are by far the minority.  There have been multiple threads over the last couple years on guru about poster experience with GW and over time those have trended toward more having not played it at all or didn't until they wanted to get some experience with it in preparation for GW2.  One can also usually find threads or posts on a lot of game forums stating interest, including other games official forums.  It's not unusual to see people saying they couldn't get into GW but they're excited for GW2.  That's almost saying more for the game isn't it - to pull in players that didn't like the previous game.  Finally, on this site there can't be a majority of users that are GW vets and fans that it would skew the number for so long over others that have come through. 

As for this site's number is concerned I don't know if any game has held the top seat for as long as GW2.  I don't know the exact length and would need the mods to look it up.  I know it's been at least two years because for some reason I've been keeping track for that long.  It hit 8.60 after the manifesto video in early August of 2010.  The difference with GW2 is that as more information has been released, including closed beta videos, conventions coverage and eventual player hands-on play the number continued to rise, or at worst stay nearly the same.  The other games over the last few years have seemingly disappointed people as more is found out about them.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

Has any game been a 9 in the history of the site for over 1 week?

I thought 8.78 was insanely high tbh.

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459

Want a more "accurate" rating based on the hype meter of this site?

Take the votes, remove all votes under 3 and over 8 (remove 1,2 and 9,10), then stretch the result to a 1 to 10 scale. Then you will have a better "hype meter".

We all know that the people who gave GW2 a "1/10" are just full of it anyway. Just the graphic and musical artistic work is worth more than that.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• DeldorDeldor Member UncommonPosts: 51

I think they are using an algorithm to keep the numbers closer together and closer to 5. When SWTOR launchend, the beta votes got wiped and actual review votes started and the first day or so, SWTOR was well above GW2. But it didn't have a very high score, i think only about 8.8, and instead GW2's score dropped to about 8.3 and all other games dropped to under 8.

So, I think, to get Guildwars above 9, other games' score needs to get down first. Not only the top games, that are competing with GW2, but you need to drop the average score of all games by a large amount. Right now there are only 9 games with a score worse than 5 and the median is about 7.6.

• alkrmralkrmr Member UncommonPosts: 236
    Originally posted by Wyrd01

Almost everyone who's looking forward to GW2 is playing or has played GW1 - I don't really know many people outside of that sphere who are that hyped for that game. I certainly am not. The only thing it has is pretty awesomely designed environments, otherwise it felt like yet another EQ derivative. A decent one, mind you, but derivative nonetheless.

I don't think that's true.  GW2 has a huge appeal beyond former GW1 players.  I've never played GW1 a day in my life, but I'm super excited about GW2.  Mostly because it took everything I grew bored with in WoW and Rift and fixed it.  It's actually fun and you want other players around because you can play with them.

most of the people i know that are gonna be playing gw2 never touched gw1

• seridanseridan Member UncommonPosts: 1,202
    Originally posted by Adam1902

I review games subjectively. When it's just a simplle hype meter I tend to rate games I'm completely uninterested in a 1, games that look quite interesting but I'm unsure I'd play a 9, and games I'm really hyping about a 10.

Nobody cares about the hype meter really, it's just to give people an idea of what the mainstream MMO community is anticipating the most.

Because I know it's going to be another tab-aim, instance heavy, mini-game-PvP ridden, challengeless and boring themepark.

I hope your "subjective" reviews don't contain any crap like that

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

• antshock35antshock35 Member Posts: 114

Almost everyone who's looking forward to GW2 is playing or has played GW1 - I don't really know many people outside of that sphere who are that hyped for that game. I certainly am not. The only thing it has is pretty awesomely designed environments, otherwise it felt like yet another EQ derivative. A decent one, mind you, but derivative nonetheless.

I don't think that's true.  GW2 has a huge appeal beyond former GW1 players.  I've never played GW1 a day in my life, but I'm super excited about GW2.  Mostly because it took everything I grew bored with in WoW and Rift and fixed it.  It's actually fun and you want other players around because you can play with them.

Great repost wyrd01 ..I never played gw1 in my life but very excitied for gw2 ...I think the reason is that the commiunity will stay around for longer then 2months. So tired of these fly by nite mmos that either are horribly made aka swtor,or just indie mmos that really never draw a crowd or korean or japenese mmos that never translate quite right to the west lately.I just want a stable comm and fun players to make the game enjoyable again...can anyone remb the last mmo with that...I have to say wow and thats like 50years ago lol......Enough of wow lets transfer these ppl to another game and all have fun with a game not about kung fu pandas now . I joke about wow but i started wow with vanilla and played 3 years great game I can't say enough good things about it but its PLAYED OUT.time for the new.

• AstralglideAstralglide Member UncommonPosts: 686

I don't think that a hype meter or rating on this site is any indicator of success (note: success does not equal quality). Rift scores way higher than WoW and sports 1/30th of the subs.

A witty saying proves nothing.
    -Voltaire

• KalmporosKalmporos Member UncommonPosts: 293
    Originally posted by seridan
    Originally posted by Adam1902

I review games subjectively. When it's just a simplle hype meter I tend to rate games I'm completely uninterested in a 1, games that look quite interesting but I'm unsure I'd play a 9, and games I'm really hyping about a 10.

Nobody cares about the hype meter really, it's just to give people an idea of what the mainstream MMO community is anticipating the most.

Because I know it's going to be another tab-aim, instance heavy, mini-game-PvP ridden, challengeless and boring themepark.

I hope your "subjective" reviews don't contain any crap like that

Do you even know what  "Subjective Opinion" is? 

Originally posted by Elesthor

In this case - like often - "subjective" means "misinformed and wrong" ;-)

Respect, walk
    Yes, they are back !

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

Is anyone else getting a strong cooper85 vibe from antshock 35 except for a different game?

• antshock35antshock35 Member Posts: 114

whoose cooper85 is he like leroy jenkins?

• KalmporosKalmporos Member UncommonPosts: 293
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan

Dont get me wrong, I completely disagree with him, but a subjective opinion is an opinion based on personal feelings/point of view and not based on facts at all. His post qualifies for subjective opinion tbh.

• seridanseridan Member UncommonPosts: 1,202

Dont get me wrong, I completely disagree with him, but a subjective opinion is an opinion based on personal feelings/point of view and not based on facts at all. His post qualifies for subjective opinion tbh.

True I messed up.

That doesn't mean his opinion isn't wrong. You can have the opinion you want but his opinion is totally wrong. Keep in mind that "neutral" persons read the forums and reading that might believe it is true while it's far from the truth

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

Oh I agree with that - at least, unlike many, he is honest by immediately informing us that his opinion on the game is based on nothing serious and therefore shouldn't be taken even remotely seriously ;)

Respect, walk
    Yes, they are back !

• p_c_sousap_c_sousa Member Posts: 620

so opinions are totatly useless since i can say anything about a game and say is my opinion. lol

i can say devil may cry 4 and WoW combat are exactly the same? yes i can, is my opinion but will make me look stupid...but is my subjective opinion. 

nope, opinions need to have vaild points to support that opinion

Originally posted by p_c_sousa

so opinions are totatly useless since i can say anything about a game and say is my opinion. lol

100% subjective opinions are indeed totally worthless. Opinions are worth consideration when based on real facts and/or if the author explains why he has such an opinion, and also when it's obvious that he has at least tried the product he's writing an opinion about.

Sorry if I don't take the one liner of someone who obviously didn't ever see the game seriously ;)

Respect, walk
    Yes, they are back !

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685

I wouldn't take the hype meter seriously, especially since ArcheAge is #2, and The Repopulation dropped down to #4 since yesterday.  

Originally posted by observer

I wouldn't take the hype meter seriously, especially since ArcheAge is #2, and The Repopulation dropped down to #4 since yesterday.  

Yeah, archeage being #2 pretty much proves my point - people will give 10/10 to any game mentionning "sandbox" in its feature list, no matter if we know nothing of that game or if it's a huge smelly pile of crap.

Respect, walk
    Yes, they are back !

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

pre-release figures are relatively meaningless, the ones to take note of, are the scores 1 month post release +

does anyone seriously believe hype these days, and if so .. why ?image

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    Originally posted by thinktank001
    Originally posted by antshock35

I have been watching gw2 sit at 8.78 for like 3months on mmorpg most popular coming games and in number one position for eva(sand lot imitation there) . How has it not hit 9.0 or above lol....its rigged i tell you..just kidding think its my add kicking in.I joke but weather gw2 is the best game ever or worst flop in history ,besides swtor or wow I can't remb a mmo so highly anticaptated in recent memory. Come on mmorpg you know tht number should be more then 8.78......

Yes stupid thread but it was killing me for weeks not seeing tht number rise .....sorry to bring down everyones iq on this thread.

Players are excited for the P2W version of WOW. 

8 years in and still the game is by far the most played P2P mmo....with no p2w in sight.....its killing you, isnt it...

• korat102korat102 Member Posts: 313
    Originally posted by StriderXed

pretty sure it would have been a 9.0 if it were a sandbox, or had "true" open world pvp as some would say.

Personally I don't think 'open world pvp' is anywhere near as popular as some people would like to think. If it was, every multi-player game in existence would feature it.

It was only seeing this thread that reminded me I haven't actually rated the game. I'll wait till I've been playing it for a while before doing that though. Can't see the point of rating a game that hasn't even been released yet.

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540
    Originally posted by StriderXed

pretty sure it would have been a 9.0 if it were a sandbox, or had "true" open world pvp as some would say.

It would be a lot lower.  You overestimate the number of people who actively want those features.  Probably because those that do have the shrillest voices.

• MexorillaMexorilla Member Posts: 313

yep.  i personally hate gw1.  it's a lobby based,  grind, and i hope to never play it again.  gw2's scope goes well beyond the gw1 fanbase.

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Yeah, we need more hype around here. image

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky