Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If you aren't trying TSW, I think you should.

Comments

• mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356
    Originally posted by Volkira

Well I pre ordered TSW and during beta I was like ..ummmm don't know if I like this.I used a shot gun and it wasn't for me.

Then I changed to an elemental user and boy the game was so much better for me.It suited my play style so much better.

I have to admit the starter town of Kingsmouth was an adjustment.Where had the high fantasy setting gone we were so used to playing in.This horror setting wasn't what I was used too.

Geez now that I'm outta Kingsmouth this game has grown on me so much more.Some of the quests are just so creative,so damn eerie and now I have to keep looking behind me as I can't help thinking something damn aweful if about to happen to me.

I too am now unable to log out.I'm hooked.

Walking past a scarecrow and then turning around and watching it come to life.The animation of it getting off the pole and running upto you left me thinkg "Ohhh Noooo".The animations here were so much better than some of the stuff in Kingsmouth.

DX11 and max settingings make the game look amazing in this place.It was so creepie walking through the funpark.Or how about the Dark house now that place is creepy.

The more you play the game the more things surprise you and the more you start to think .."wow that was clever".Solutions to quests are not what you may normally think..eg you may have to solve them while in your dead stat,or using emotes,using google browser to search for clues or answers to in game events.

So being honest here.I as of yesterday wasn't going to sub past the first month.But after lasts nights play session I just can't wait to get deeper into the game and see what other stuff they have come up with.

Don't judge the game on the starter area.think of all the MMO starter areas and how all those games don't really get going until your character has gained many levels.It's the same here.

I have changed my mind about this game and am glad I have giving it that extra time.

Wow, I personally very much enjoy Kingsmouth and was worried higher "level" zones could be less polished and fun (still remember Tortage compared to other zones in AoC at release). Thanks for easing my concerns)

• xmentyxmenty Member UncommonPosts: 718

Boxed + Subs + CS is too much for me.

If it go B2P or F2P, I will get it.

Played Beta and I would give it 6 out of 10.

I was wondering why the army was not called in when the whole island got overrun?

Pardon my English as it is not my 1st language :)

• Blaze007Blaze007 Member Posts: 188
    Originally posted by netentropy

Let me just get this out of the way. I am in no way affiliated with Funcom. 

I am a 36 year old dude that loves MMORPGs and have not been challenged or loved a game since Dark Age of Camelot and then FFXI. I was not going to even try TSW. I have been testing every game I could download lately and putting it down after an hour or so.

I read MMORPG.com nightly trying to find a game. Everything gets bashed. 

I was bored. I had the money. I said why not and I haven't stopped playing since I purchased it. AMAZING and, more importently, FUN.

You should give it a try.

I would like to try it but how can I? Is there a trial available?

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    Originally posted by xmenty

Boxed + Subs + CS is too much for me.

If it go B2P or F2P, I will get it.

Played Beta and I would give it 6 out of 10.

I was wondering why the army was not called in when the whole island got overrun?

Its not gonna happen for a long time im glad, f2p and b2p models are a bane for mmos it means they have cash shops with itmes that you need to buy to be able to play.

Sure TSW has a cash shop but there are no items in there that you need to buy, they are cosmetic and thats it.

Anyway for me TSW is the best themepark on the market and i would recommend it to anyone who wants somthing that plays a bit different from your average MMORPG.. its not for everyone as some people dont like to think about the missions they are doing// for instance one mission i did the other night was one where i had to decode some morse code to find a location of a drop.. awesome mission never seen anything like it in an MORPG before.. but some people dont want to do stuff like that..

If your just after another fantast themepark MMO then this aint for you..

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

I will try it but not until Funcom ironed out all the rough patches. So next spring probably.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by teakbois
    Originally posted by Zekiah Thanks, but no thanks. I don't trust the longevity or the company.
    1.  People that don't play a product based on the company are cutting off their nose to spite their face.  Deny trying a game based on the fact you don't like the company?  The quality of AoC or AO has nothing to do with the quality of TSW.  

2.  And this goes for the sub + cash shop people who think they are financial experts.  Every AAA MMORPG released since 2001 or so has a sub + cash shop, with the exception of SWToR and FFXIV (and Vanguard, for now).  Some are more subtle than others (Rift, for example), but they are there.  TSW is a game that Funcom knows, regardless of what it said to investors, is going to be a niche game.  MMORPGs have a significant investment and take years to recoup that investment.  Funcom is putting TSW on that track.  And the item shop is cosmetic anyway, its not like its P2W.  

3.  If you are going to bring the company into it, then you cant say you dont trust the longevity.  Both their MMORPGs are still running, and one of those is over 10 years old.

But in the end it is your loss. 

Addressing #2, since I fall into that category. I vote with my wallet. There is NO game ever made, or ever will be made that warrants a Box + Sub + CS. I am letting Funcom know that I disagree with their business model. Do I need to be a financial expert? Heck no. If I were their accountants, I would be seeing what else players are willing to fork over. There job is to get as much out of players as possible, and you are playing right along.

You gotta draw the line somewhere, and this model is where I draw the line.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• ChilliesauceChilliesauce Member Posts: 559
    Originally posted by AlBQuirky

Originally posted by Zekiah Thanks, but no thanks. I don't trust the longevity or the company.
    1.  People that don't play a product based on the company are cutting off their nose to spite their face.  Deny trying a game based on the fact you don't like the company?  The quality of AoC or AO has nothing to do with the quality of TSW.  

2.  And this goes for the sub + cash shop people who think they are financial experts.  Every AAA MMORPG released since 2001 or so has a sub + cash shop, with the exception of SWToR and FFXIV (and Vanguard, for now).  Some are more subtle than others (Rift, for example), but they are there.  TSW is a game that Funcom knows, regardless of what it said to investors, is going to be a niche game.  MMORPGs have a significant investment and take years to recoup that investment.  Funcom is putting TSW on that track.  And the item shop is cosmetic anyway, its not like its P2W.  

3.  If you are going to bring the company into it, then you cant say you dont trust the longevity.  Both their MMORPGs are still running, and one of those is over 10 years old.

Addressing #2, since I fall into that category. I vote with my wallet. There is NO game ever made, or ever will be made that warrants a Box + Sub + CS. I am letting Funcom know that I disagree with their business model. Do I need to be a financial expert? Heck no. If I were their accountants, I would be seeing what else players are willing to fork over. There job is to get as much out of players as possible, and you are playing right along.

You can draw the line by not using CS too. if players start doing that devs will not implement CS in P2P games. This trend was started by WOW and it is not goign to die any time soon.

I bought TSW but i won't spend a dime on CS, that is how i draw my line by telling them that i love your game but don't care for your in game shop. 

• dageezadageeza Member Posts: 578
    Originally posted by Xzen

I'll buy it as soon as it goes Buy to Play.

LOL

If it were B2P i would be playing it right now..

It will go freemium at some point but unfortunately not B2P...

I played over 40 hours in 3 open beta events and liked the game but with it being a funcom game i just could not justify buying it plus monthly sub with cash shop..

Simply put i do not like their business model because we already know it will go freemium when the gravy train ends..

They would not have lost 33m on release if they had went B2P because almost everyone would want it, these greedy game companies have to learn there is other ways to make a ton of money on your game other than milking your best fans for $15 a month only to turn around and go freemium later..

Playing GW2..

• dougmysticeydougmysticey Member Posts: 1,176

Yeah, but you are missing out on a great game. The shop is not required or even needed to enjoy 100% of the game content. The only thing in there (at this point) are pets, clothes, accessories, etc. Since what you wear plays no part in the abilities of your character the clothing options, etc are wide and varied. I got an amount of Funcom cash for something. I have bought some things in the cash shop with that but don't plan on buying beyond those points I have.  Since this game is really not a great game for alts (three characters is all you will ever need) then the cash shop clothing items, etc are less a requirement then if I wanted to personalize 7-8 characters too.

I understand that you want to make a stand but have found it no problem at all for myself.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

The payment model is the only thing they have to bash the game with now. This makes me happy image

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156

Originally posted by Zekiah 
    I vote with my wallet.

I can understand that, but, i don't because i know the masses will eat it up no matter what, so i won't keep myself away from games i enjoy.

Regarding B2P, well GW1 was great, but i consider GW2 alot more greedy. Box price, huge CS with tons of boosters and convinince items (cosmetics are cool), paid expansions, and being froced to buy GW1 to get HOM rewards. Even worse then pure box and sub (no cs) IMO.

Anyway, if one should try TSW is up to them. I like it, but some won't.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,627
    Originally posted by Buttski

hell no,

this game is just bad.

EDIT: maybe give it a try when it goes f2p at the end of the year.

I agree I must be playing a different TSW than everyone else because I find it very boring, clunky, unpolished, and lack luster world...

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• ChilliesauceChilliesauce Member Posts: 559
    Originally posted by Betaguy

hell no,

this game is just bad.

I agree I must be playing a different TSW than everyone else because I find it very boring, clunky, unpolished, and lack luster world...

Yes you were playing a different game. Been playing since first days of headtsart and game is not boring, clunky, unpolished or have a lack luster world.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

hell no,

this game is just bad.

You might just be tired of MMOs.... 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • XithrylXithryl Member UncommonPosts: 256

I have to say, I was pretty against trying this game myself, but seeing as there isn't anything else to play right now I figured what the hell...

I didn't like the box + sub + cash shop either, but the way I see it right now... There isn't crap on the cash shop I even want to get so no worries there... I still feel like its just a way to milk every dim out of the user but I also see the game going F2P sooner than later, just cause of the way its built..

At any rate, it is very different, and that is very refreshing... Combat is clunky and I still dislike the animations, but the atmosphere of the game makes up for most of that.

I'm not gonna sit here and lie and say its the best and everyone who isn't playing it is nuts... but if you are bored, or waiting for GW2 like I am... This is a pretty decent filler, and hey who knows where it might go!

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

Addressing #2, since I fall into that category. I vote with my wallet. There is NO game ever made, or ever will be made that warrants a Box + Sub + CS. 

The days of being able to make a quality MMORPG for 15 million are over.  A mainstream game that gets 500k subs can afford to do the box + sub model, but a niche game?  No way.  You may say it doesnt warrant it, but its not economically feasible without it.

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    Originally posted by FredomSekerZ

I vote with my wallet.

I can understand that, but, i don't because i know the masses will eat it up no matter what, so i won't keep myself away from games i enjoy.

Regarding B2P, well GW1 was great, but i consider GW2 alot more greedy. Box price, huge CS with tons of boosters and convinince items (cosmetics are cool), paid expansions, and being froced to buy GW1 to get HOM rewards. Even worse then pure box and sub (no cs) IMO.

You aren't forced to do anything, and I doubt your typical mmoer would even be bothered with the grind that HoM can be, especially considering the rewards are mostly cosmetic.

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156
    Originally posted by Kaneth
    Originally posted by FredomSekerZ

I vote with my wallet.

You aren't forced to do anything, and I doubt your typical mmoer would even be bothered with the grind that HoM can be, especially considering the rewards are mostly cosmetic.

So why is a CS and sub so problematic? I hate both systems because they're cash grabs and greedy.

"Thanks for paying your sub, have a nice day"

"Hey, can i have those cool armors and pets?"

"No, you must pay extra money for those despite having already bought the box and payed your sub and expansion"

I don't look at this as being much better:

"Thank you for paying for you expansion, have a nice day"

"Hey can i have those cool armors and pets?"

"No, you must buy a game you don't want to have access to them despite having already bought teh box and spent money on our Cash Shop and expansions"

Yes, it is indeed less greedy, but still pretty much so.

• MedsiMedsi Member UncommonPosts: 23

I love the concept, the world, the feel and the puzzles -- that said it's still just a button mash though. Not that I expect any MMO to break this mold yet - we're a ways off from that I think.

I had too many technical issues to make the game enjoyable. 15+ mins just to enter Kingsmouth, 2-3 min delays anytime a video would prompt. I'm running on a gaming rig that isn't that old, well exceeds minimum specs, and even after turning everything down to minimum, still had long lag times.

I haven't given up on it yet - but I'm not impressed. I think it may have been overhyped, it isn't delivering what I expected from the publicity and marketing.

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770

TSW is definately worth trying(beta) but for me it isn't worth buying or subscribing to. I loved checking out how their skill system worked and what the puzzling quests were like but thats about it.

• EthianEthian Member Posts: 1,216

The game seems pretty decent and I give Funcom credit for having the balls to try something unique but for some reason I still hesitate buying the game. AOCs F2P model was a big turn off for me and TSWs cash-shop is doing the same. I understand the cash-shop is all cosmetic crap but some reason it just turns me off. I may try TSW when the price drops but its 2012 and there are a ton of cheap MMOs available some of them without even a monthly fee. Until TSWs box price drops I personally wont be touching it no matter how good and unique it is.

"I play Tera for the gameplay"

• XPraetorianXXPraetorianX Member CommonPosts: 107

32 Year Old Software developer here. Agree 100% this game came out of left field for me big time. I am having a blast.

• EthianEthian Member Posts: 1,216
    Originally posted by bcbully

hell no,

this game is just bad.

You might just be tired of MMOs.... 

My thought as well, I can admit I'm slightly bored of MMOs but unfortionately some people waste their time here trolling those who do enjoy a game. Going on 6 months now without playing MMOs but TSW is keeping me interested...its just the box price + $15 sub + cash-shop thats turning me off

"I play Tera for the gameplay"

• donjndonjn Member UncommonPosts: 816

Long time MMO fan here dating back to Ultima Online etc. Also been on these forums for a long time.

TSW is one of the best MMOs I have seen come out in quite a while. It gave me that "World of Warcraft" feeling I thought was gone forever when I first walked into Stormwind.

It is smart, the dialogue is good, it is mature and does not insult your intelligence.

The game is for a smart, intellectual, mature audience.

You are doing a diservice to yourself as an MMO fan  if you dont try this game out.

• XPraetorianXXPraetorianX Member CommonPosts: 107
    Originally posted by donjn

Long time MMO fan here dating back to Ultima Online etc. Also been on these forums for a long time.

TSW is one of the best MMOs I have seen come out in quite a while. It gave me that "World of Warcraft" feeling I thought was gone forever when I first walked into Stormwind.

It is smart, the dialogue is good, it is mature and does not insult your intelligence.

The game is for a smart, intellectual, mature audience.

You are doing a diservice to yourself as an MMO fan  if you dont try this game out.

Well said man. As long as you dont cheat and use google. It will ruin the fun. The quest make you think. There was one quest that made me go to a website and look up a bible verse and figure out the next step from there. So awesome.