Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I think Guild Wars 2 has made me realise I don't like large scale anything...

tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

"dynamic" or public quests from WAR as I like to call them just make me feel like I'm useless. You need no skill as you're another person in the crowd who is just spamming damage and you don't have to worry about anything. It's not like a raid where your group actually needs skill to complete the objective, no they cannot do that for something set in the "world". I must say though I didn't like WoW Raids back in the day because you needed to invest a weekend for one raid and in the end you'd just be constantly shouted at over Vent or TS. 

Then you have the Keep PVP and it hasn't changed from DAOC or WAR which people look so fondly on. Yet what happened with those games happens in GW2 where you just get massive zergs of ranged classes and any melee classes that try to advance on them gets owned instantly. So there is no chance for chaos, just big boring zergs where the frontline moves back and forth. So again you feel useless and it doesn't come down to skill :

I even feel this way in BF3 where I cannot stand 64 players because it often feels like it's out of your control. Often you'll log into a losing team because that's the side people generally leave and you'll end up getting rolled because your team sucks. There is nothing one single person can do against a whole other team of 32 players based on capture point and not just kills.

I join SDM in BF3 where it is 4 v 4 v 4 v 4 and instantly I can make a difference because it's only about the points 4 ppl rack up and I can make a difference. In the small group dungeons in WoW again I feel like I'm making a difference as your roles are actually important and you don't get lost in the crowd. In PVP in WoW I much prefer Arena because it comes down to your skill with a few or your mates against their group. Now Arena gets a lot of bad press because of all the annoying ppl who take it too seriously (or as I like to call them DOTA players) but it's the most fun PVP knowing it comes down to your skill. 

I just want my skill to win and not feel like I'm lost in a crowd and that's why I hate large scale games. I know that sounds weird in an MMO but....

EVE Online is another game where really you cannot solo any more, you can attempt it but you will always die against a group of people because everyone loves to gank in that game.

Comments

• CromicaCromica Member UncommonPosts: 657

Pretty sure mmos are not for you.

• rankor2rankor2 Member UncommonPosts: 115
    Sounds like a single player rpg is for you like skyrim.

I myself love getting lost in a large battle and winning as a team. I don't need to feel like the best leet player ever to have fun. That's what cod is for.
  • NanulakNanulak Member UncommonPosts: 372

So what are you looking for. An MMO (Massively multiplayer online) game without the "Massively" and only an instanced game with 4-5 man groups?

Nanulak

• EdeusEdeus Member CommonPosts: 506

You're problem with GW2 is understandable.  Who wants to be mage #4532 whose damage was 1/500th of total damage needed to win the battle, and the only reason your server won was because it had more people on that evening. 

But hey, if its fun, I'm all for it.

Taru-Gallante-Blood elf-Elysean-Kelari-Crime Fighting-Imperial Agent

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

There are lots of unpopular games where you would be lucky to find 10 people on the whole server, perhaps you should look into one of those?

If I was a horrible person, I'd insert a SWTOR joke right about now. :(

• Poison_AdelePoison_Adele Member CommonPosts: 287
    Originally posted by tixylix

Yet what happened with those games happens in GW2 where you just get massive zergs of ranged classes and any melee classes that try to advance on them gets owned instantly. So there is no chance for chaos, just big boring zergs where the frontline moves back and forth. So again you feel useless and it doesn't come down to skill :

I'd like to point something out that hopefully makes you feel better.

In the betas, during WvW and during the early level/more populated PvE levels, yup, there were massive zergs. However this is really not something to worry about in the long run.

As you got further in, or if you WvW'd with more skilled players, you found the groups getting smaller, more effective, and more fun. Some of the most fun I had was in smaller groups where my actions definitely did matter. 

At release, there will definitely be big zergs in PvE. However that will quickly change as the population evens out and spreads out. Same goes for WvW, people will start to vary their tactics as zerging does not actually work very well in the long term in WvW.

• atziluthatziluth Member UncommonPosts: 1,190

All dungeons are 5 man and so far the challenge is very tough.

Supply line defense/attacks will be handled by multiple small groups and have a significant impact on WvW.

Not sure why you singled out GW2 as you seem to have this problem with every game with greater than 4 - 5 people per side. 

-Atziluth-

- Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

In the small group dungeons in WoW again I feel like I'm making a difference as your roles are actually important and you don't get lost in the crowd. In PVP in WoW I much prefer Arena because it comes down to your skill with a few or your mates against their group. Now Arena gets a lot of bad press because of all the annoying ppl who take it too seriously (or as I like to call them DOTA players) but it's the most fun PVP knowing it comes down to your skill. 

I just want my skill to win and not feel like I'm lost in a crowd and that's why I hate large scale games. I know that sounds weird in an MMO but....

You want skill to win and yet mention the worst possible examples.

Do you want dungeons where every member has to contribute due to the lack of trinity or do you want WoW where only the healer and tank really matter?  Meanwhile the "dps only" people are sitting in the back spamming rotations while watching TV.

Arena also comes down to class composition more so than real skill.  You can't call something skill when class and gear matter more than player ability.  Sure it helps and i don't discount that fact, but come on now.

Getting on topic.  There are plenty of things to do with small groups, you just have to break out of the WoW mentallity and go look for them.  Stop following the "zergs".  There are a ridiculous number of fun and challenging Champion mobs that can be done with small groups.  I spend 95% of my time in WvW in small groups completing objectives and helping my server.  Again, the options are there, you just have to be willing to go find them.

• Kykyryz-aKykyryz-a Member Posts: 113

"dynamic" or public quests from WAR as I like to call them just make me feel like I'm useless. You need no skill as you're another person in the crowd who is just spamming damage and you don't have to worry about anything. It's not like a raid where your group actually needs skill to complete the objective, no they cannot do that for something set in the "world". I must say though I didn't like WoW Raids back in the day because you needed to invest a weekend for one raid and in the end you'd just be constantly shouted at over Vent or TS. 

Then you have the Keep PVP and it hasn't changed from DAOC or WAR which people look so fondly on. Yet what happened with those games happens in GW2 where you just get massive zergs of ranged classes and any melee classes that try to advance on them gets owned instantly. So there is no chance for chaos, just big boring zergs where the frontline moves back and forth. So again you feel useless and it doesn't come down to skill :

I even feel this way in BF3 where I cannot stand 64 players because it often feels like it's out of your control. Often you'll log into a losing team because that's the side people generally leave and you'll end up getting rolled because your team sucks. There is nothing one single person can do against a whole other team of 32 players based on capture point and not just kills.

I join SDM in BF3 where it is 4 v 4 v 4 v 4 and instantly I can make a difference because it's only about the points 4 ppl rack up and I can make a difference. In the small group dungeons in WoW again I feel like I'm making a difference as your roles are actually important and you don't get lost in the crowd. In PVP in WoW I much prefer Arena because it comes down to your skill with a few or your mates against their group. Now Arena gets a lot of bad press because of all the annoying ppl who take it too seriously (or as I like to call them DOTA players) but it's the most fun PVP knowing it comes down to your skill. 

EVE Online is another game where really you cannot solo any more, you can attempt it but you will always die against a group of people because everyone loves to gank in that game.

Sorry but here you are kinda making no sense. WoW Arena never beed Skill based only if you got gear and somehow  against ppl who geared same.  And GW2  in theory will be perfect for you if you Like "arena"   as you will be 100%  skill dependant and  1 player can make a difference.   WvWvW sure not for  "rambo" types of ppl who want to  solo take a keep :) 

DE  also  only gor over populated due to Insane amount of ppl in BWEs  and later on in 15-35 zones  it became nice 3-5 man events where you  could do any role you want  DD or try to  heal/revive ppl. 

P.S WoW real raids were best part of the game MC 40 man  or original Naxx 40 man.  ^) 

• MagnetiaMagnetia Member UncommonPosts: 1,015

Sounds like you'd enjoy a lobby based action pvp game or MOBA. League of Legends? Dota2? 

Small scale. All the time. Instant action. Make a HUGE difference in battle as 1/5. Skilled pvp. Easy to learn hard to master. 

As for zergin in WvW that's boring and you don't make a difference because you are the zerg or fighting the zerg. What feels cool in WvW is when you take a small group maybe 7-10 people and take out smaller bases while the zerg moves on. Stop being a sheep and stop following the zerg if you want to stop feeling useless.

Me I love the large scale everything in GW2. I want to be in a WORLD not a carefully constructed instance. 

You really might want to look at lobby based action arena games. However if you are a noob then you will get yelled at. We all get yelled at. 

MMOs really aren't for you XD

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?

• VoiidiinVoiidiin Member Posts: 817

Not sure why every game has to appeal to every type ofplay or its fail or terrible. Such a strange mentality of players now adays. CONFORM TO ME !!!

Guess i am confused as to the point of this thread. Was the op looking for others to agree with him ?

Was he trying to troll GW2 forum readers ?

Maybe attempting to get others to go back and play WoW arenas ?

Oh well, i will be happy playing TSW and GW2 and whatever other game comes out that interests me. Those that don't i am sure not going to post a whine post because there is no RPG server in the new COD Black Ops2 game.

Lolipops !

• bleyzwunbleyzwun Member UncommonPosts: 1,087

You're allowed to have your opinion but complaining about Dynamic Events taking no skill is like complaining about regular WoW quests taking no skill... since that's really what it is.  DE's are not meant (as far as I know) to be Raids.  They are GW2's form of basic quests.  At least the ones I've done.  

I can agree with you about the zerg.  I reaized in WAR that I wasn't a huge fan of that, but I will reserve my judgement for GW2 since I haven't played and never tried 3 faction RvR.  What I can't agree on (at this time) is that melee's are at a huge disadvantage.  GW2's weapon system gives everyone a huge variety of ways to play.  If you choose not to use a ranged weapon, then that's your fault.  I feel that this system allows all classes to adapt to whatever they plan to do.  

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729

Thats quite false, theres so many instances when an invidual or smaller group of peoples skill or actions can turn the tide of a large scale battle in WvW, same thing with dynamics events. 

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

Is this the same EXACT guy that had recently...man fuck it, was worth the notice though.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005
    Originally posted by grogstorm

So what are you looking for. An MMO (Massively multiplayer online) game without the "Massively" and only an instanced game with 4-5 man groups?

THIS.

------------

@OP ;

Think you will have better fun at lobby games like League of Legends, DOTA2, Diablo 3, C9, Vindictus, etc

Not sure WHY you even try to play MMO's?

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Kykyryz-a

Sorry but here you are kinda making no sense. WoW Arena never beed Skill based only if you got gear and somehow  against ppl who geared same.  And GW2  in theory will be perfect for you if you Like "arena"   as you will be 100%  skill dependant and  1 player can make a difference.   WvWvW sure not for  "rambo" types of ppl who want to  solo take a keep :) 

DE  also  only gor over populated due to Insane amount of ppl in BWEs  and later on in 15-35 zones  it became nice 3-5 man events where you  could do any role you want  DD or try to  heal/revive ppl. 

P.S WoW real raids were best part of the game MC 40 man  or original Naxx 40 man.  ^) 

I agree there, the big difference between Wow and GW2 in this aspect is that GW2 got a very limited amount of solocontent and it ain´t the perfect game for soloers, which Wow on the other hand have put more and more focus on.

GW2s arenas are great and the same goes for the dungeons but soloers might consider finding another game more for them, there are plenty out there. You just can´t please everyone, and I don´t think that you even should try since that waters down the content.

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652

GW2 WvW wasnt just about taking keeps or BO's in a zerge. I found the most fun was running out in 2 and 3 mans just ganking and being ganked. Another thing different from other games like rift and wow is gear doesnt mean crap in the end but some of the skills do big time especially the elites at 30. Gear in pvp to me is stupid and all it does is create a pug vs premade or casual vs hardcore divide. You can look at Rift and WOW and hear all the raging in their forums about nerf this and that and see it . I do really enjoy small scale in GW2 though as if you fire off the wrong skill at the wrong time you are as good as dead and no gear in the world will save you vs a skilled player. But on topic in GW2 there is tons of content to do solo in pvp and in pve not sure why you didnt look around and try it. If you run around like a sheep following the crowd of course your going to do what the crowd is doing its common sense...

• NailzzzNailzzz Member UncommonPosts: 515

It seems to me that what your saying is, it took GW2 to make you realize you would enjoy GW1.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Nailzzz

It seems to me that what your saying is, it took GW2 to make you realize you would enjoy GW1.

Or that he doesn´t really like MMOs and instead prefer CORPGs and other games for one or a few players.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

Why do you want to play WvWvW then? Play the PvP which takes real skill - structured PvP. It will be 5v5 similar to WoW's arena but everyone will be on equal terms unlike WoW.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

Large battles will always be about zerging with greater numbers. It is very, very rare to have a "good fight" - what I'd consider to be a good fight anyway. You can't take world PvP or large scale PvP seriously. You have no effect on the outcome and numbers matter more than skill.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• DaggerjaydoDaggerjaydo Member UncommonPosts: 121

People have all ready proven throughout the two beta weekends that "THE ZERG" is no match for an organized group utilizing the proper siege weaponry for attacking players (like arrow carts)

A couple of these siege weapons at the right choke point will absolutely MURDER a large group of players.

Learn to play smart and WvWvW will really show you its depth.

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641
    Originally posted by Magnetia

Sounds like you'd enjoy a lobby based action pvp game or MOBA. League of Legends? Dota2? 

Small scale. All the time. Instant action. Make a HUGE difference in battle as 1/5. Skilled pvp. Easy to learn hard to master. 

As for zergin in WvW that's boring and you don't make a difference because you are the zerg or fighting the zerg. What feels cool in WvW is when you take a small group maybe 7-10 people and take out smaller bases while the zerg moves on. Stop being a sheep and stop following the zerg if you want to stop feeling useless.

Me I love the large scale everything in GW2. I want to be in a WORLD not a carefully constructed instance. 

You really might want to look at lobby based action arena games. However if you are a noob then you will get yelled at. We all get yelled at. 

MMOs really aren't for you XD

The orange bit made me laugh out loud, 10,000 internetz if anyone can tell me why?

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• cgniuscgnius Member Posts: 18

As others have said, MMOs are clearly not for you. I'm not a big fan of the small scale PvP that the OP is talking about as you can't really be creative with it (well you can, but not without being yelled at by your team mates). You need to follow a set strategy in order to win.

I love the idea of Chaos and "On the fly" style battling as it gives you the leg room to be creative about how you battle while still feeling as though you're contributing to a team effort. I think that one of the things I'm gonna love about GW2 are the combination attacks: the idea of me casting a firewall and seeing my team mate fire arrows through it has already whetted my appetite.

• rounnerrounner Member UncommonPosts: 725

Get over the skill thing.