Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Game of Thrones: Officially Named, Trailer Coming Soon

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Bigpoint has officially named the MMO based on the Game of Thrones book series. Called "Game of Thrones Seven Kingdoms", the team also announced that the first trailer from the game will be released at this year's ComiCon in San Diego.

In context of the lore, the Seven Kingdoms were originally independent countries which rose up over thousands of years until the Targaryens ruled over them as one nation of Westeros. Game of Thrones Seven Kingdoms begins after the deaths of King Robert Baratheon and Ned Stark. The Starks of the north declare war on the south and Baratheon’s two brothers both make claims to the throne. Players are challenged to form alliances through Player vs. Player (PvP), Siege combat and politics to control Westeros.

Beta testing is slated to begin later this year. Sign up on the official Game of Thrones: Seven Kingdoms site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

seems like it will be a browser mmo, like other BigPoint games

http://www.bigpoint.com/

http://www.bigpoint.com/games/comingsoon/

• DanbaccaDanbacca Member UncommonPosts: 247

If this ends up being any good, I would be wonderfully surprised.

• MallarkyMallarky Member Posts: 73
    Lol...
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

Now this is a "get rich quick" scheme if i ever saw one. Not that i can blame Mr Martin... Iäd do the same if i could. After all swimming in money never gets old i think.

This have been a good conversation

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

As a Game of Thrones fan I will NOT play this game.

Ever.

• umcorianumcorian Member UncommonPosts: 519

Lol, Bigpoint.

"When you play the Game of Thrones, you pay to win. Or you die. There's no middle ground." 

• jessie360jessie360 Member Posts: 65

Going to go against the norm and say this will be utter crap.  Unlike the "gems" the other Game of Thrones games have been.

I think the developer's have proven some books should stay books.

• DragonantisDragonantis Member UncommonPosts: 974

Im interested but this game has some BIG shoes to try and fill.

Im not very confident that any developer can create a Game of Thrones MMO.

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

I'd rather play The Mummy Online.

• busdriverbusdriver Member Posts: 859

WoW killer right there!

• oobeoobe Member UncommonPosts: 60

Destined to fail horribly, just like the other Bigpoint titles

• Flaming_MMOFlaming_MMO Member Posts: 137

It looks like making a good video game property on the Song of Ice and Fire series is going to be a rare thing indeed.  I wonder how many years it will take to get a game that has a metacritic score of at least 75, or if that even happens at all. 

How about a mount and blade or a minecraft type game based on the books?  Im going to go out on a limb and predict a Telltale adventure game based on the series next, which actually could end up being good.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

whats with all the negative posts?

We know hardly anything about the game other than some awesome sounding PVP features..

I would think the game will be using the unity engine like their other games so its very capable...

Will just have to wait and see

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Flaming_MMO

It looks like making a good video game property on the Song of Ice and Fire series is going to be a rare thing indeed.  I wonder how many years it will take to get a game that has a metacritic score of at least 75, or if that even happens at all. 

How about a mount and blade or a minecraft type game based on the books?  Im going to go out on a limb and predict a Telltale adventure game based on the series next, which actually could end up being good.

Almost ll games based on books, TV shows or movies suck.

I am not so sure that I think that the world is so good for a MMO anyways, just like Middle earth is more or less all important roles already filled up by NPCs  so the players will only play second fiddle to the NPCs which takes away a lot of the points of a real MMO.

If I would make a "Song of ice and fire" MMO I would either make it a RTS game or even better, a turnbased game close to Warlords and heroes (oM&M). The world fits excellent for games like that.

But the IP really deserves someone more competent than this company, and to be more than browserbased. If I were Martin I rather sell the rights to Cryptic than these people (and that say a lot).

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Do we really need more trashy film based MMOs?

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• shantidevashantideva Member UncommonPosts: 186

Yup, turnbased strategy with rpg elements would fit GoT perfectly.

"Train by day, Joe Rogan podcast by night, all day!"