Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Forge: Getting Straight to PvP Combat

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Forge is described by the development team as "Guild Wars meets Team Fortress 2", certainly an idea that appeals to many of our readers. We caught up with COO Timothy Alvis to find out more about Forge. Keep reading!

MMORPG: Tell players about FORGE?

Timothy Alvis: Forge is a game that strips away all of the artificial barriers built into an MMO to extend playing time and lets people get straight to PvP combat. It’s like Team Fortress 2 and Guild Wars met, exchanged a few flirting texts, and soon after brought a squealing prodigy into the world.

Read more of Garrett Fuller's Forge: Getting Straight to PvP Combat.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• ScyfoScyfo Member Posts: 7

As Spock would say...Fascinating! 

• marz.at.playmarz.at.play Member UncommonPosts: 912

Looking forward to learning more.

• MeltdownMeltdown Member UncommonPosts: 1,183

Didn't Fury already attempt this... also how do you not ask about how this game differs from Fury? Interviews are more like free ads for the game companies ewww

"They essentially want to say 'Correlation proves Causation' when it's just not true." - Sovrath

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Straight pvp MMO's have been done before and just have not generated enough interest to keep them profitable.  I do not see this game being anything different.  I wish them luck, but the marketplace is not favorable to this type of game.

• arcwestarcwest Member Posts: 61

love the idea of no level grind, i hope it works out

• MexorillaMexorilla Member Posts: 313

so this is a lobby game?

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766

My assumption is this is going to be exactly like Fury. It looks a lot like Fury, it sounds a lot like what the devs were saying about Fury before it came out. Now this isn't necessarily a bad thing, seeing as Fury was one of my favorite MMO games, it took out the bullcrap and left PvP, and if you were a fan of PvP it was awesome. The reason Fury failed and I hope this game does it different was marketing. They had absolutely no marketing for the game other than word of mouth, none of my friends had heard of the game, they had a poor launch and the game itself wasn't garnering any steam because they weren't marketing it at all. I really hope this game can succeed because I always wished Fury would be rereleased into the public under a different name or a different company, it was really just fun.

• SlickShoesSlickShoes Member UncommonPosts: 1,019

SO is this an MMOFPS or is it just team fortress 2 but with fantasy based classes?

neither TF2 or GW1 were actual MMO's, enter big lobby, choose game, enter game.

• amadeuzamadeuz Member Posts: 73

I guess it may be the lobby games some kind of TF2 + MOBA games, LoL, DotA but use your own character with first person view game.

• ZyllosZyllos Member UncommonPosts: 537

Fury was not an MMO and this will not be one either, IF they have a lobby. This is why I do not consider GW1 a MMO.

I will keep an eye on this, but I already see the issues of Fury here.

MMOs Played: I can no longer list them all in the 500 character limit.

Originally posted by SlickShoes

SO is this an MMOFPS or is it just team fortress 2 but with fantasy based classes?

neither TF2 or GW1 were actual MMO's, enter big lobby, choose game, enter game.

Well if they do it like Fury did, it will  be an open town, with instances like Guild Wars, but you have NPC's you talk to, to purchase gear and queue up for a match. Not really a lobby, but at the same time probably could be considered one.

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770

Even more telling, is that when reading a user’s comments about other titles in the MMO space you’ll see a lot of“when you reach max level, that’s when the game really begins!”

I honestly never heard this from players in all the MMOs I've played except for maybe WoW or the games with good endgame PvP. The fun usually begins at about level 20.

• sm0062sm0062 Member Posts: 15

I remember a game that tried something like this. It was called Fury.... lol. 

Originally posted by mmoguy43

Even more telling, is that when reading a user’s comments about other titles in the MMO space you’ll see a lot of“when you reach max level, that’s when the game really begins!”

I honestly never heard this from players in all the MMOs I've played except for maybe WoW or the games with good endgame PvP. The fun usually begins at about level 20.

Weird, I hear this in most if not every themepark MMO. Not just from friends either, it's quite a few people.

• EyrothathEyrothath Member UncommonPosts: 200

Fury failed because it got boring, it was nothing but a button smashing game, whoever could "smash" their macros the fastest was the winner, I literally almost broke my damn keyboard playing it.. Sure, PVP is fun, but at least make combat realistic so it doesn't get boring fast and the only way to do that is through FPS combat where there is less restrictions in combat, allowing for more tactical play and less button smashing, something where you can literally be in the heat of battle.. This is why PVP centered MMO's usually fail, it's gotta be some sort of tab-targetting crap.. Warhammer:AOR is a prime example of this failure..

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772

Seems interesting.  I hope the combat is like TERA.  TERA's combat is begging for PVP but they are late in getting it in and even when they do, there's no guarantee it will be that good, and certainly not very group oriented.

• TekkamanTekkaman Member UncommonPosts: 158

Fury 2 - Let's see it!

• SuraknarSuraknar Member UncommonPosts: 852

This sounds interesting, looking forward to learn and see more about it :P

- Duke Suraknar -
    Order of the Silver Star, OSS

ESKA, Playing MMORPG's since Ultima Online 1997 - Order of the Silver Serpent, Atlantic Shard
  • terrantterrant Member Posts: 1,683

OK so I'm not the only one who read this and thought "Fury".

That's not a bad thing per se...Fury had a great concept. They just made a really, really crappy game out of it.

• Chase187666Chase187666 Member UncommonPosts: 138

Has my attention!

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791

PvP only....no thanks. Not against PvP but it is not an MMO if all it has is PvP....boring.

Let's party like it is 1863!

• GettCoupedGettCouped Member UncommonPosts: 47

8) We will see!

• pwainpwain Member UncommonPosts: 115

PvP without PvE? Absolute no PvE elements?

• KexinKexin Member UncommonPosts: 69

For a game thats coming out in 2012 they're not showing a damn thing. Not a good sign.

• illyanaillyana Member UncommonPosts: 614

i'm glad to see another developer acknowledging GW1and its PvP. with further development for GW1 put to halt, it's good to know that someone will carry the torch. (pvp in GW2 is very different from GW1, hardcore GW1 pvpers can attest to that) i hope that this one will be B2P also.  goodluck to them!

Have fun storming the castle! - Miracle Max