Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TSW and GW2 killing off WoW subscribers for sure

124»

Comments

• seridanseridan Member UncommonPosts: 1,202

Only WoW can kill WoW... no other game will ever "kill" it. Why? Because lots of people who play WoW started with WoW and never played anything else in their life, paying a WoW sub is like paying the electricity bill, both essential for life.

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

• Kykyryz-aKykyryz-a Member Posts: 113

TSW or GW2  cant kill WoW subsribers as  bigger part of them (WoW subs) dont speak English and eat Chinese food :))))

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

only wow will kill wow LOL... and it probally has by adding stupid pandas... tho saying that it was never my game.

TSW was never designed to compete with wow, its a different type of game and I dont believe funcom ever expected it to bring inthe amonut of players that wow does... infact no company should expect their game to do as well... this is why we see so many failed AAA wow clones.. They design their business model around pullnig in a similar amount of players as wow... but its never gonna happen, WOW was a one off fluke i rekkon.

What MMORPG companies should be doing is ignoring wow altogeather and looking at other MMORPGs and see what the average player base is for them and then design their business model around that. I believe this is what Funcom have done with TSW adn thats why i think it will do pretty well.

GW2 is another one they know they wont compete with wow and have designed their business model around that, now they are expecting more playing that TSW mainly because its a b2p game and they know that will bring in the extra players..

So no neither will kill wow..

• azmundaiazmundai Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

hey look .. more wow killer crap .. how many games have to not kill wow before you get the picture? at this point no one gives a crap anyway. its just a matter of time anyway .. not a matter of one or even two games being "the ones that killed wow!! RAWR!! give me a break.

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
    I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

• MexorillaMexorilla Member Posts: 313
    Originally posted by Wrender
    Originally posted by L0C0Man

They're killing off WoW subscribers?.. phew, thanks god I cancelled my sub after WotLK... :)

The one big thing WoW has, though, is people. With so many subscribers, you're bound to know someone (or several someones) that are playing and that you can play with if you subscribe. IMHO that (and the fact that the game is actually fun, also IMHO) is what keeps it active and healthy, people tend to play whatever game their friends are playing.

I haven't played WOW in about 3 yrs now. There is NO WAY that WoW could possibly still have that many subscribers. It's just not possible. The game was starting to turn into trash back then, that's why I stopped playing and haven't looked back. There is just no way! Outdated graphics, Blizz removed or destroyed almost everything that made WoW so great, it had stopped even feeling anything like an actual persistent world and was nothing more than a lobby game, only challenge left was dungeons, I can't stand playing an MMO in SOLO mode all the time. I mean C'mon people, you got to be kidding right? Hell almost everygame I have played SINCE WoW was better than what WoW had become.

end game WoW sucks yes.  but leveling and the journey to lvl 85 are what made WoW fun.

• DarkmothDarkmoth Member Posts: 174
    Originally posted by Bladestrom
    No game will be a 'wow ender but If GW2 is as good as it promises then it could well break the back of the game. Reasoning? For the first time wow players are going to look over the fence and see a community forming in a game that is fresher and interesting with a long term future. Rift only offered a wow clone as did swtor and no one is going to stop eating steak to start eating chip steaks ;) but they will be tempted to try the steak in the new restaurant across the road, especially when it is free!

I'm not sure why GW2 would appeal to WoW players any more than GW1 did. GW1 was, inarguably, a fantastic game. Absolutely stellar. But it wasn't what WoW players were looking for.

To abuse your analogy, GW1 and GW2 were specifically designed not to be steak, to break the steak mold. They've designed an absolutely delicious lamb dish. Will steak eaters flock to it?

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203

Oh look!  It's that thread predicting the end of Warcraft yet again... it pops up every few weeks in various guises, especially when some new game is released, yet the prediction never actually happens.

I don't play WoW, but for Christ's sake, do we need to keep reading this stale old rubbish again and again?  People said the same about Rift, Aion, Ryzom, SWtOR, and umpteen other games, only to fall flat on their faces.

Of course, since you know "for sure" then feel free to post your proof.

• eykosurfeykosurf Member Posts: 14

The Secret World and Guild Wars 2 are both fine games, and both offer different (and quite good) experiences.  That said, I don't see either title holding millions of subscribers eight years after release.

Instead of the incessant nerd rage that comes with every contender, and given the state of the market, gamers should simply be happy that studios continue to invest in MMOs.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by eykosurf

The Secret World and Guild Wars 2 are both fine games, and both offer different (and quite good) experiences.  That said, I don't see either title holding millions of subscribers eight years after release.

thats the problem w comparing any sub game to a nonsub game

its apples and oranges

does GW1 have millions of active players now?

doubt it, all we know is GW1 sold over 7 million in the last 7 years

• SuprGamerXSuprGamerX Member Posts: 531

Heh , let's go abit beyond of what the OP has written ;

Ok so TSW is a horror based MMO , which is real life , and we all know how MMO's being real life ended up being like. Already living in real life is crappy enough thank you very much , I don't need to play another real life MMO to remind me how much life sucks.

And now onto GW2 , when I take GW2 game play trailer and I put it side by side with almost any other MMO released , and I play the 2 trailers at the same time , I see no difference , besides for the log in screen , I see no reason what so ever to leave my existing MMO to play another MMO (which in this case is GW2) that ressembles a whole lot like my current MMO?

For WoW , well to put it this way , WoW will remain WoW and will most likely keep all of it's subscribers and will most likely gain a few more subs once TSW / GW2 launches. 

The only thing that will reduce WoW subs by big chunks will be the Wii-U.  By then , let's all enjoy seeing WoW as the king of MMO's alongside Maple Story. Because there is no denying it unfortunately.

• ArthasmArthasm Member UncommonPosts: 785

When people... "people" start asking me how I can abandon Wow and going to play GW2 (and only GW2), telling me that is GW2 is shit, crap, Wow is still the best MMO out there... Even they don't know any single info about GW2 or ever seen at least 1 minute gameplay. I told them: "GW2 is like sex. Try it once, you wan't more and more". They don't understand... :(

• WrenderWrender Member Posts: 1,386
    Originally posted by Rhoklaw
    Originally posted by bossalinie
    Originally posted by tollbooth

It would be better for the genre if everyone who played WoW stopped playing mmo's.

For the 5 year in time, WoW didn't ruin your genre. If anything, it showed how below par MMO devs are

Actually, when WoW released, this statement was true, but 8 years later, WoW hasn't evolved upward, it's only extended sideways like a lazy fat bastard.

LMAO . That was awesome Rhok!

• donjndonjn Member UncommonPosts: 816
    Originally posted by CrunkJuice2

" What does WoW have? An old engine that's not been upgraded to fit an evolving MMORPG genre. "

you wanna talk about crappy engines.play swtor

SWTOR has the worst engine ive seen since Vanguard *ducks for cover from Sony fanbois*