Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TSW and GW2 killing off WoW subscribers for sure

Comments

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

GW2 and TSW may appeal to a very different gamer than your average WoW-crowd. I don't see why those two would kill WoW. Once some thought TOR would kill WoW, but I can see GW2 and WoW coexist. The people that will drop WoW for GW2 probably didn't like WoW all that much in the first place. As for TSW, very different but longevity unproven.

imageimage
  • AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by stevebmbsqd

WoW runs on almost any computer. I can play it on a netbook. As much as I like GW2, it requires a moderately decent gaming computer to play. TSW requires the same. They won't come close to killing off WoW for that reason alone.

good point:) although GW2 min system requirments aren't very steep at all.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• CrunkJuice2CrunkJuice2 Member Posts: 568

WoW runs on almost any computer. I can play it on a netbook. As much as I like GW2, it requires a moderately decent gaming computer to play. TSW requires the same. They won't come close to killing off WoW for that reason alone.

i guess its to much to ask for someone to upgrade there computer in order to play a game they want to play

but then again,like ive said before.if the wow community tromps into gw2.im out,i played swtor and look at the trainwreck that happened when the wow community came into that game

• StriderXedStriderXed Member Posts: 257

IGW2 has a persistent world unlike the first one. I just don't think there is enough content for the PVE crowd to keep them occupied for more than a month or two. As neat as DE's are, they aren't something that someone is going to want to repeat over and over. The casual crowd will play till they level a character or two and the hardcore PVE people will leave even faster as there is no real endgame to keep them. I think only the PVP crowd will stick around long term and even then it will be a certain type of PVPer. But who knows..... maybe ANET can keep content rolling out to keep people occupied. As long as it isn't on the cash shop then it might work. I just see this as game people will play a lot at first and then move on to other things and come back to once in awhile.....

There's much more to GW2 PvE than DE's. For the players who like Fetch quest (I guess this is what by your definition keeps the pve crowd occupied) to some degree there are some in gw2 aswell *heart quest* There is endgame just different than grind your hearts out for gear with better overall stats. I think it's more grind your hearts out for gear that's better for specific stats suited to your play style. Also I should take out the word "grind" for GW2 because you'll be buying stuff with Karma, which you get for doing almost everything and that you can use to buy that endgame gear. Also don't forget about the glory system. I think pvpers would be intrested in that for abit. (Know I would be).  Anyway let me stop. First I need to find out, by your standards. What keeps the PvE crowd occupied. What type of Endgame are you talking about.  

Arena Net hasn't told us EVERYTHING about the game (content wise) so assuming there won't be enough content shouldn't be a concern right now.

• helthroshelthros Member UncommonPosts: 1,449

I've seen this thread for every major release for the past 5-6 years. Talk is cheap - Let the numbers speak for themselves.

You're blind with fanboy excitement if you think GW2 has even a remote shot at taking down WoW. I don't like WoW anymore than the next guy, but to be oblivious to the things it has going for itself is just idiotic to say the least.

• faxnadufaxnadu Member UncommonPosts: 940
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

The general WoW player never heard of TSW, and i would be highly surprised if they would like a game with the depth of TSW.

Today i talked to some of our employees about MMO´s... and they all (even is SWtor) skipped everything that only looked like a quest text or cutscene. They just loved the easy accessible games..

TSW is for the mature grwonup gamer, that wahts something ifferent. 

GW2 on the other hand will just feel like the perfect game to these WoW players... they are much more alike then people realise, GW2 is the seccond comming of WoW. (Where TSW steps further back to games like EQ and such)

+1 the general wow playerbase have never played any other game nor mmo game than wow itself and is never gona do anything but what they been doing past years, grind gear / show off / new expansion / curse alot / all over again.

so no the main subs are always gona be there. 

i also agree with op saying tsw and gw2 merge we can have great mmo.  mmo needs factions that can fight against each others aswell as clearing the pve content.

• jeremyjodesjeremyjodes Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 679

Lets Hope these 2 games put a huge dent in Wows sub numbers.

I love watching drama and my popcorn needs to be popped. but in truth the average Wow player is still using crayons so I would not worrry about them finding out about better MMOs for some time. also the child predators  who love grouping with children won't leave Wow for a game with mostly adults.

• NanulakNanulak Member UncommonPosts: 372
    Come one, come all!

Panda Powwow

Only $15 a month..
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    It never ceases to amaze me what people will waste their money on.

Nanulak

• xr00t3dxxr00t3dx Member Posts: 275
    Originally posted by sagil

TSW is horror-based with puzzling quests and helpful community. 3 factions. Skill points instead of levels and classes, which make more class options.

GW2 is B2P and fantasy-based with dynamic events and looking at Arenanet's background they release a lot of expansions. PvP is also dynamic where you can destroy parts of a building, etc...

What does WoW have? An old engine that's not been upgraded to fit an evolving MMORPG genre. If only TSW and GW2 could merge, we would totally see what the MMORPG (themepark) next step evolution really is about. 

No wonder Vivendi wants to sell Blizzard. Blizzard really isn't a MMORPG company like Funcom and Arenanet, they are Jack of all Trades.

Thanks for your report. I'll expect the full details on my desk in the AM. After that why not take some time off. We'll give you a call when we need you again.

• stevebmbsqdstevebmbsqd Member Posts: 448
    Originally posted by StriderXed

IGW2 has a persistent world unlike the first one. I just don't think there is enough content for the PVE crowd to keep them occupied for more than a month or two. As neat as DE's are, they aren't something that someone is going to want to repeat over and over. The casual crowd will play till they level a character or two and the hardcore PVE people will leave even faster as there is no real endgame to keep them. I think only the PVP crowd will stick around long term and even then it will be a certain type of PVPer. But who knows..... maybe ANET can keep content rolling out to keep people occupied. As long as it isn't on the cash shop then it might work. I just see this as game people will play a lot at first and then move on to other things and come back to once in awhile.....

There's much more to GW2 PvE than DE's. For the players who like Fetch quest (I guess this is what by your definition keeps the pve crowd occupied) to some degree there are some in gw2 aswell *heart quest* There is endgame just different than grind your hearts out for gear with better overall stats. I think it's more grind your hearts out for gear that's better for specific stats suited to your play style. Also I should take out the word "grind" for GW2 because you'll be buying stuff with Karma, which you get for doing almost everything and that you can use to buy that endgame gear. Also don't forget about the glory system. I think pvpers would be intrested in that for abit. (Know I would be).  Anyway let me stop. First I need to find out, by your standards. What keeps the PvE crowd occupied. What type of Endgame are you talking about.  

Arena Net hasn't told us EVERYTHING about the game (content wise) so assuming there won't be enough content shouldn't be a concern right now.

The crafting system isn't one that would attract a person who plays MMO's for that reason. A lot of people look for some form of vertical progression with gear and to them that is what they want. Many people raid for reasons other than gear. They like working in large groups and competing for world or server firsts. The personal story in GW2 is kind of meh! If someone is playing for the story they would probably be much better served by SWTOR or TSW as the story is much better crafted. The World bosses won't take the place of raids. They don't require the same kind of tactics or direct coordination. I like GW2. I really do. The dungeons are neat, but again there aren't that many even with the different replayable modes. That leaves us with DE's and like I said previously, I don't think that people will want to do them over and over and most, sadly enough, won't have the patience to hang out for a minute or two to see their effects. They will push right on to other content. I just don't think it will have the staying power with the PVE crowd. It is B2P though, and I can see people coming back to it or lots of kids staying as their parents won't have to pay a subscription and may not be willing to after getting them one that doesn't require it. I only said that it is a concern because in order for it to really put a dent in WoW, it would have to have some longevity in gameplay outside of PvP.

• stevebmbsqdstevebmbsqd Member Posts: 448
    Originally posted by CrunkJuice2

i guess its to much to ask for someone to upgrade there computer in order to play a game they want to play

but then again,like ive said before.if the wow community tromps into gw2.im out,i played swtor and look at the trainwreck that happened when the wow community came into that game

You honestly believe most people upgrade their computers or even know how? Just visit the hardware forums here sometime. Most people are clueless. At least a few of them come ask for help. That would leave buying a new computer. In this economy, that isn't always an option for a lot of people. Why spend several hundred dollars on an upgrade when I can continue playing a game that I already have XXX days worth of time invested in it?

• DarkmothDarkmoth Member Posts: 174
    Originally posted by JoeyMMO

GW2 and TSW may appeal to a very different gamer than your average WoW-crowd. I don't see why those two would kill WoW. Once some thought TOR would kill WoW, but I can see GW2 and WoW coexist. The people that will drop WoW for GW2 probably didn't like WoW all that much in the first place. As for TSW, very different but longevity unproven.

Going to agree completely here. Some of the things GW2 fans dislike about WoW are actually plusses for many WoW players. They like gear-centric progression. They like the ability to hop into a dungeon quickly. They like efficient, structured questing, etc, etc. Some people are going to want to be able to go toe-to-toe with a tough mob or 3.

In terms of Bartle's types( http://www.nickyee.com/facets/bartle.html) I think GW2/TSW are ideal for Explorers and (possibly) Killers. WoW is still the king of gameplay for Achievers and (possibly) Socializers.

I fully expect  both GW2 and MoP to sell millions of copies.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,012

I think it's silly to assume taht TSW and GW2 are going to kill off WoW.

Oh sure, there are WoW players who have been playing WoW for sometime and they want something different. But there are also WoW players who have been playing WoW for sometime and they want WoW 2.0. And if a game doesn't give them that then they will go back to WoW/.

It's also silly to assume that the majority of people who play WoW are all mmo players. WoW has millions of players. Where did they come from? Certainly not from the mmo space. WoW appeals to a broad group of players. But part of that group are just people who started and like WoW and have no intention of playing anything else.

of the WoW players I've met "in real life" only two of them knew of other mmo's. One knows LOTRO and that's it. The other is a gamer so he follows what's going on. However, he doesn't really stay too long so I'm not sure he's really an "mmo player".

Of the people in my life who play games (the few people) they know WoW but only one started WoW a year ago and absolutely loves it.

Of the people I know in my life who don't play games, all of them know WoW and only know of LOTRO and Lineage 2 because I've mentioned them. And heck, they can't remember Lineage 2's name at all. But they "know of" WoW.

WoW is it's own thing. It won't always be the top contender as EQ was once a huge game and now it is only frequented by hardcore EQ fans and people going back to relive the memories. But I suspect that the hordes of WoW players who are "WoW players" probably don't know of TSW and GW2.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • saluksaluk Member Posts: 325

The only thing that will kill WoW subscribers is WoW. Canceling a WoW subscription happens when people feel no reason to keep playing. Dedicated players will not feel this, even when new games come out. People on the fence may feel this when a new game comes out, but then it's not really the other game that caused them to quit - they were just waiting for an excuse. And if the new game doesn't satisfy, they will probably be back.

Stop waiting and hoping for other games to kill WoW. WoW is in decline, and I think it's reign may be ending. But when it's utter dominance subsides, I doubt you will be able to look back and say "oh it was this game that killed it" or "oh it was that game."

"we would totally see what the MMORPG (themepark) next step evolution really is about. "

this is why i cant wait til gw2 comes out.so all the people treating it like the 2nd coming of christ will get disapointed,leave and finally shut up about it

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Originally posted by Zeblade

I believe (key word) one server on WOW has more players then TSW. TSW has instances.. SOOOOO many don't know this haha..

With any numbers to back up we are just tossing crap around. ALot of people don't like GW2.. thats not launched yet. TSW.. this will never be a hit. Only has 5 servers? OMG people are just flying in! hehe. Get alot of drops in TSW? Yeah buying new clothes wont get old. You wont be doing anything for armor. No new chest, legs and so forth. And just look at others weapons..hmmm why do they all look the same? A q2 hammer.. got 4-5 differnt types do they? Its a fun game but will never pull in people. The OPEN betas show'd us that. 

In open beta not one server did anyone have to wait to get in. There is something FUNCOM can not change now "COMBAT" this is the number one problem why people didnt like the game. And if you are playing now..this is all over the chat.

TSWs server is massive, it has a simmilar setup to eve, its a completey different technology to how wow servers work. Technically its all one big server and the dimensions only exist for the puropses of persistent pvp mainly but also for the cities and rp.

so your talking out yer bum mate.

Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Originally posted by Zeblade

I believe (key word) one server on WOW has more players then TSW. TSW has instances.. SOOOOO many don't know this haha..

With any numbers to back up we are just tossing crap around. ALot of people don't like GW2.. thats not launched yet. TSW.. this will never be a hit. Only has 5 servers? OMG people are just flying in! hehe. Get alot of drops in TSW? Yeah buying new clothes wont get old. You wont be doing anything for armor. No new chest, legs and so forth. And just look at others weapons..hmmm why do they all look the same? A q2 hammer.. got 4-5 differnt types do they? Its a fun game but will never pull in people. The OPEN betas show'd us that. 

In open beta not one server did anyone have to wait to get in. There is something FUNCOM can not change now "COMBAT" this is the number one problem why people didnt like the game. And if you are playing now..this is all over the chat.

TSWs server is massive, it has a simmilar setup to eve, its a completey different technology to how wow servers work. Technically its all one big server and the dimensions only exist for the puropses of persistent pvp mainly but also for the cities and rp.

so your talking out yer bum mate.

yeah i stopped listening to his rant after he mentioned servers.having alot of servers isnt exactly a good thing,look at swtor.although,part of swtors problem was the incompetant failures that run the game figured they'd sit on there hands for 6 months before they merged them

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207

i think neither tsw or gw2 will appeal to the general wow audience.  yeah some pvpers might like the look of gw2 (hell if they tried it tsw too, that has better pvp than wow also)  yeah some people who are more into lore might go tsw.

but...  the core audience wont like tsw or wow, because neither are skinner boxes pumping out ever escalting loot to the masses.

• NanulakNanulak Member UncommonPosts: 372
    Originally posted by CrunkJuice2

this is why i cant wait til gw2 comes out.so all the people treating it like the 2nd coming of christ will get disapointed,leave and finally shut up about it

We wont shut up, only the message will change to.....

"I told you So"

Nanulak

• DarkmothDarkmoth Member Posts: 174
    Originally posted by ShakyMo

i think neither tsw or gw2 will appeal to the general wow audience.  yeah some pvpers might like the look of gw2 (hell if they tried it tsw too, that has better pvp than wow also)  yeah some people who are more into lore might go tsw.

but...  the core audience wont like tsw or wow, because neither are skinner boxes pumping out ever escalting loot to the masses.

That might be the most accurate and concise definition I've ever read. I say that as someone who looks forward to TL2.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by sagil

TSW is horror-based with puzzling quests and helpful community. 3 factions. Skill points instead of levels and classes, which make more class options.

GW2 is B2P and fantasy-based with dynamic events and looking at Arenanet's background they release a lot of expansions. PvP is also dynamic where you can destroy parts of a building, etc...

What does WoW have? An old engine that's not been upgraded to fit an evolving MMORPG genre. If only TSW and GW2 could merge, we would totally see what the MMORPG (themepark) next step evolution really is about. 

No wonder Vivendi wants to sell Blizzard. Blizzard really isn't a MMORPG company like Funcom and Arenanet, they are Jack of all Trades.

so vivendi is selling blizz because they are scared that this 2 new games will kill the king? you sir arent making any sense. TSW isnt going anywhere near WoW in terms of subscription numbers. GW2 has more chances and i also doubt it. But that doesnt mean they will fail. Im sure they will succeed but far from WoWs numbers. So no, the king is still on the throne

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754

Tha main thing that will kill WoW is WoW......There comes a time when you simply get tired of playing a game......They are starting to reach a poiont like EQ1 did where they have pumped out a few expansions and people are starting to burn out on it......TSW is mainly a niche game and isnt really going to lure all that many WoW subscribers.....If any game was going to lure WoW players it would be Rift because of similar gameplay and features.

• StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,779
    Originally posted by fivoroth

Not to burst your bubble OP but Vivendi are considering selling Activision not Blizzard. And that was never confirmed as a fact. Blizzard is doing amazing. Vivendi doesn't seem to like that Activision is killing most of its IPs and potentially they are worried about the very near future.

Anyways I doubt TSW and GW2 will be the end of WoW. Not by a long shot. But if this thought lets you sleep at night, you're more than welcome to think that.

There is no bubble to burst!

They are looking to unload Activision Blizzard. Vivendi wants out of the Gaming Industry, they have been wanting out of it for a while now.

MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!
  • BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    No game will be a 'wow ender but If GW2 is as good as it promises then it could well break the back of the game. Reasoning? For the first time wow players are going to look over the fence and see a community forming in a game that is fresher and interesting with a long term future. Rift only offered a wow clone as did swtor and no one is going to stop eating steak to start eating chip steaks ;) but they will be tempted to try the steak in the new restaurant across the road, especially when it is free!

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• xenogiasxenogias Member Posts: 1,926

Who really cares if a game or series of games kill WoW or not. All I want is a healthy population in whatever MMO I end up in, if any. WoW is not keeping other companies from making MMO's. If that was the case then sure, down with WoW. But thats not the case. If a billion people enjoy something I dont who cares? I'm more interested in talking to the people who DO like the same thing I do.