Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If you aren't trying TSW, I think you should.

Comments

• rankor2rankor2 Member UncommonPosts: 115
    Already tried it in cb and bwe's for months. It is a good game if you give it a chance and there are worse games out there but I'm not buying the box , subbing then paying money in the cs to look decent. If it was free client and sub I would probably play but I'm not buying a game that I will not play in 3 months.

Good luck to those who like tsw because it is still a good Mmo.
  • netentropynetentropy Member Posts: 17

I assure you no one convinced me by any marketing ploys to get me to play. I knew very little about it and was actually fairly pissed of with Funcom for some AoC login patch crap.

I read the Amazon review the gentlemen posted and to be honest. I could copy his review, replace any mention of TSW with any other game in the last 6 months and it would read exactly like every post on this forum.

I was simply trying to say something positive becuase I see so much negativity on here.

It is fun, to me, I thought some other folks would like to know that since every game seems to get thrashed on here.

Some people like to play Bridge, some like poker, some like chess, a game is only good if you enjoy it and if you don't then you don't. Doesn't make it a bad game.

It payment model doesn't make it a bad game. Sure you might choose to participate but you will be in a big let down for everything moving forward.

The lifespan of a game is not what it used to be and if we want people to keep making them they have to find ways to make money because subscriptions drop and the hint of a new , better, best, greatest sandbox that someone will call themepark which someone will yell it needs to be F2P.

It is a sad state of affairs when I had to lead that way but I wanted to be upfront that I just had a GREAT time playing it today and that no one was paying me to say that.

Of course, if they did, someone would say I should be F2M (free to market)

• netentropynetentropy Member Posts: 17

Did you do the peristent PVP. It was crazy fun.

• CetraCetra Member UncommonPosts: 359
    Originally posted by netentropy

nothing new. Bigger  node capture battlefield with persistent mode on. Even Wow's AV is more fun with better objectives.

• Paradigm68Paradigm68 Member UncommonPosts: 890

You're asking me to drop money to try? That is not trying. That is buying. And you expect me to believe you're not affliliated with FC after posting a plea for me to buy the game in General? 

After AoC I'll only try TSW when there is a free trial.

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988

I'd be more interested if it had more group-oriented content/gameplay, judging by this thread though, and a livestream I peeked at, it doesn't seem like that is the games strong point.

I'll keep an eye on it for the next couple months, but i'm not quite enticed enough to want to spend money on it.

• raistlinmraistlinm Member Posts: 673

Let me just get this out of the way. I am in no way affiliated with Funcom. 

I am a 36 year old dude that loves MMORPGs and have not been challenged or loved a game since Dark Age of Camelot and then FFXI. I was not going to even try TSW. I have been testing every game I could download lately and putting it down after an hour or so.

I read MMORPG.com nightly trying to find a game. Everything gets bashed. 

I was bored. I had the money. I said why not and I haven't stopped playing since I purchased it. AMAZING and, more importently, FUN.

You should give it a try.

From my understanding they are still only in the early access or it's just ending which certainly isn't enough time to say what an mmorpg is really like especially when I consider what I know of funcom and games, such as the huge drop off in quality after the starter zone in aoc (or immersion as I sometimes see it).

They finally seem to be making a game that is stable and I haven't seen too much negative about it so it's good to see does also look somehwat good but FC has burned any chance to see my money until everything is in the open about their games it looks like something I will definitely try but for now I'm going to have to hold out atleats a few months.

• mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356

The best MMORPG since WoW. And this comes from die hard MMO vet who played everything.

Big props to Funcoms that they made something fresh and unique instead of throwing another clone.

• DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521
    Originally posted by mindw0rk

The best MMORPG since WoW. And this comes from die hard MMO vet who played everything.

Big props to Funcoms that they made something fresh and unique instead of throwing another clone.

Unfortunately the actual gameplay sucks.  Presentation gets an A though.

• papabear1985papabear1985 Member Posts: 2

this game will be filler to guild wars 2 comes out

• mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356
    Originally posted by Draemos

Ive played whole night today and couldnt make myself out of screen even for bathroom. So yeah, tell me about how gameplay "sucks"

• ZezdaZezda Member UncommonPosts: 686

Let me just get this out of the way. I am in no way affiliated with Funcom. 

I am a 36 year old dude that loves MMORPGs and have not been challenged or loved a game since Dark Age of Camelot and then FFXI. I was not going to even try TSW. I have been testing every game I could download lately and putting it down after an hour or so.

I read MMORPG.com nightly trying to find a game. Everything gets bashed. 

I was bored. I had the money. I said why not and I haven't stopped playing since I purchased it. AMAZING and, more importently, FUN.

You should give it a try.

It does look decent, certainly a lot better than the usual stuff we have become use to being launched.

Having said that, for me, it has one huge flaw. The combat.

I know it has a lot of different kinds of quests and such going on but it's still a combat orientated game at heart and when I find the core mechanics and gameplay so lackluster it's going to eat away at me regardless of how much the rest of the game is nice. That and the animations, some people don't mind them but to me they just look.. wrong.

So yeah, decent game. Bad combat and animations spoil it for me. If I had to recommend a game out just now for a friend to try I would probably go with this though.

• SebberSebber Member Posts: 221
    Originally posted by Draemos

Ive played whole night today and couldnt make myself out of screen even for bathroom. So yeah, tell me about how gameplay "sucks"

Well, if you think the gameplay is "fine" then go ahead and have fun.

• VladamyreVladamyre Member UncommonPosts: 223

If the graphics, combat, movement, and notmuchfuncom got out of the game then I'd think about buying it. After playing the beta for quite a while the game just doesn't thrill me at all. Great concepts, poor execution. I've been waiting for a good pvp game to come out for quite a while now, but nothing even remotely comes close to Dark Age of Camelot. DAoC has better combat then just about all of the games that have came out after it. I miss the old positional styles, reactionary styles, and straight up fun from oldschool RvR. Guild Wars 2 seems to have took a little bit from DAoC's style with their WvWvW, but it still won't be the same. Too bad that Mark Jacobs destroyed the greatest PvP game that was ever made, its just too bad.

In a world of sharp knives, you would be a spoon.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Originally posted by Flaeb

Played it for 10 minutes and uninstalled. Not my cup of tea.

lol the intro movie is 8 minutes long

Well, he probably skipped it

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• FuryVFuryV Member UncommonPosts: 515

This is the only game that's come out recently where I can safely say I'm a fanboy... And dya know what?  I'm proud.  This game is worth you being a fanboy over, trust me.

• sonicbrewsonicbrew Member UncommonPosts: 515

No thanks. Spent much time in beta and I took all of me to even stomach the last one. My biggest complaint though is the pricing model. They are gouging for box sales, a sub fee, a cash shop knowing full well they are going to switch it to f2p. Not sure about the rest of you but I cannot justify FC breaking it off in me yet a 3rd time. They are as blacklisted as EA and BW.

“Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.” ~ Italian proverb   

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

It just doesn't look in any way interesting to me, and looks incredibly bland from the game play videos I've watched.  Thats just my dumb old opinion though.   If you guys are having lots of fun Im really glad for ya. 

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749

There is virtually no avatar customization outside of the cash shop.  I've never seen such a half assed job at character creation until this game.  On top of that insult, the clothing options in the cash shop are not cheap.  The average price of one outfit that is in the uglier range of options is approximately 2 - 3 dollars and doesn't even unlock for your other characters.  Many of the really cool outfits run in the 20 dollar range, it's disgusting.

• rpgalonrpgalon Member Posts: 430
    Originally posted by Corehaven

It just doesn't look in any way interesting to me, and looks incredibly bland from the game play videos I've watched.  Thats just my dumb old opinion though.   If you guys are having lots of fun Im really glad for ya. 

well, I can say the videos doesn't do the game justice.

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154
    Originally posted by Zekiah

Thanks, but no thanks. I don't trust the longevity or the company.

1.  People that don't play a product based on the company are cutting off their nose to spite their face.  Deny trying a game based on the fact you don't like the company?  The quality of AoC or AO has nothing to do with the quality of TSW.  

2.  And this goes for the sub + cash shop people who think they are financial experts.  Every AAA MMORPG released since 2001 or so has a sub + cash shop, with the exception of SWToR and FFXIV (and Vanguard, for now).  Some are more subtle than others (Rift, for example), but they are there.  TSW is a game that Funcom knows, regardless of what it said to investors, is going to be a niche game.  MMORPGs have a significant investment and take years to recoup that investment.  Funcom is putting TSW on that track.  And the item shop is cosmetic anyway, its not like its P2W.  

3.  If you are going to bring the company into it, then you cant say you dont trust the longevity.  Both their MMORPGs are still running, and one of those is over 10 years old.

But in the end it is your loss. 

• VolkiraVolkira Member Posts: 3

Well I pre ordered TSW and during beta I was like ..ummmm don't know if I like this.I used a shot gun and it wasn't for me.

Then I changed to an elemental user and boy the game was so much better for me.It suited my play style so much better.

I have to admit the starter town of Kingsmouth was an adjustment.Where had the high fantasy setting gone we were so used to playing in.This horror setting wasn't what I was used too.

Geez now that I'm outta Kingsmouth this game has grown on me so much more.Some of the quests are just so creative,so damn eerie and now I have to keep looking behind me as I can't help thinking something damn aweful if about to happen to me.

I too am now unable to log out.I'm hooked.

Walking past a scarecrow and then turning around and watching it come to life.The animation of it getting off the pole and running upto you left me thinkg "Ohhh Noooo".The animations here were so much better than some of the stuff in Kingsmouth.

DX11 and max settingings make the game look amazing in this place.It was so creepie walking through the funpark.Or how about the Dark house now that place is creepy.

The more you play the game the more things surprise you and the more you start to think .."wow that was clever".Solutions to quests are not what you may normally think..eg you may have to solve them while in your dead stat,or using emotes,using google browser to search for clues or answers to in game events.

So being honest here.I as of yesterday wasn't going to sub past the first month.But after lasts nights play session I just can't wait to get deeper into the game and see what other stuff they have come up with.

Don't judge the game on the starter area.think of all the MMO starter areas and how all those games don't really get going until your character has gained many levels.It's the same here.

I have changed my mind about this game and am glad I have giving it that extra time.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

It's the best thing going. Hands down.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Vorthanion

There is virtually no avatar customization outside of the cash shop.  I've never seen such a half assed job at character creation until this game.  On top of that insult, the clothing options in the cash shop are not cheap.  The average price of one outfit that is in the uglier range of options is approximately 2 - 3 dollars and doesn't even unlock for your other characters.  Many of the really cool outfits run in the 20 dollar range, it's disgusting.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/355916/page/1

Oh yeah? Check this out.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • CromicaCromica Member UncommonPosts: 657

Played it and coudln't find a single thing I liked