Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What the hell happened to games this and last year?

sagilsagil Member CommonPosts: 291

Everyone I know are playing LoL. No one I know wants to be in a social world (mmorpgs) anymore. After people quit WoW, they never want to go back to a mmorpg it seems.

I can't find LoL fun because I played DotA in warcraft and burned it out. Now all I hear my friends talking about is LoL. Like LoL is some kind of "omgz must play everyday!". LoL is always the no.1 streamed game.

I'm beginning to wish that LoL didn't exist at all. I have no one to play with now... *sadpandaface*

Comments

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

2nd generation MMO-goers are lobby-based gamers that simply "don't get it", and never will.

/thread

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• SkullyWoodsSkullyWoods Member Posts: 183

Why not make friends in a game you do want to play? That's what I'm gonna have to do because I just moved to canada and I don't know any gamers yet...everyone just plays golf

#TeamVainlash
    Why did Marceline's dad eat her fries? I mean...cause she bought them and they were hers...

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    Originally posted by SkullyWoods

Why not make friends in a game you do want to play? That's what I'm gonna have to do because I just moved to canada and I don't know any gamers yet...everyone just plays golf

I thought they just made maple syrup and played hockey.

• jeremyjodesjeremyjodes Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 679

Welcome to the Wow generation... it pains them to have to work for anything for more then 5 minutes without saying the word "bored." or "failed"

They try new MMOs decend on that games forums and complain about PVP. they grew up playing xbox and xbox 360 and think they need a highscore to feel good about their sad sad lives. then when those like them get truly bored,they seek out F2p games were they steal moms credit card and charge up the rainbow bright ponys and an I win button.

Where ever there is something releated to PVP you will find them all huddled together proclaiming fowl about how something is OP and needs to be nerfed or how badass they rule at PVP

• MexorillaMexorilla Member Posts: 313

aside from WoW mmo's have never had a huge following.  WoW is in a decline and so are mmo players.  not really a surprise.

• SwampRobSwampRob Member UncommonPosts: 1,003

Born Canadian here and I know some gamers despite living in a very rural area.   We are everywhere!

To the OP: I was so bored playing LoL I couldn't bring myself to finish the tutorial.   Never even tried one game, I found it THAT bad.

Yes, there are some social players out there, you just have to keep looking.   Start groups instead of joining them, eventually you'll find some like-minded inviduals.

• freegamesfreegames Member UncommonPosts: 240

There are no WoW killers, only those that submit it the power.

Social games are out there, but they cater mostly to the casual market.

Generic FPS #156,255 will have to wait in line for generic mmo #4,123

Used to play LoL myself until the community became huge and people even more obnoxious.

Originally posted by SwampRob

Born Canadian here and I know some gamers despite living in a very rural area.   We are everywhere!

To the OP: I was so bored playing LoL I couldn't bring myself to finish the tutorial.   Never even tried one game, I found it THAT bad.

Yes, there are some social players out there, you just have to keep looking.   Start groups instead of joining them, eventually you'll find some like-minded inviduals.

Yeah I know you guys are around here somewhere. What I'd really love to find is a pub with decent connection so I can socialize, get wasted and game all in one place. hmm now I'm thinking of opening a bar lol

#TeamVainlash
    Why did Marceline's dad eat her fries? I mean...cause she bought them and they were hers...

• TechnoZombieTechnoZombie Member Posts: 5

I agree, although games must die so other ones can prosper...but i think WOW, and Rift were the two best mmorpgs i've ever played. Thats my opinion :). I like the western style of mmos better. So, if you can find a free one i shall play with you lol. I just cant afford the p2ps anymore..... :( 

• sagilsagil Member CommonPosts: 291
    Originally posted by TechnoZombie

I agree, although games must die so other ones can prosper...but i think WOW, and Rift were the two best mmorpgs i've ever played. Thats my opinion :). I like the western style of mmos better. So, if you can find a free one i shall play with you lol. I just cant afford the p2ps anymore..... :( 

That's too bad. I've already bought TSW so I need to play that.

• DarkmothDarkmoth Member Posts: 174
    Originally posted by sagil

Everyone I know are playing LoL. No one I know wants to be in a social world (mmorpgs) anymore. After people quit WoW, they never want to go back to a mmorpg it seems.

I can't find LoL fun because I played DotA in warcraft and burned it out. Now all I hear my friends talking about is LoL. Like LoL is some kind of "omgz must play everyday!". LoL is always the no.1 streamed game.

I'm beginning to wish that LoL didn't exist at all. I have no one to play with now... *sadpandaface*

You know, it's possible people are simply getting burned out on the "always connected to all your friends" thing. Since Web 2.0, everything is social. Foursquare, Spotify, Last.fm, Goog+, Facebook, Steam, Pinterest, Path, etc. When my friends get a Rift Achievement, it auto-tweets. I'm on Mumble listening to two people play GW1 and TF2. After a while the trend becomes a cliche, and people relish a little separation.

At one point, MMOs were one of the best way to be connected to people online. Community was one of the defining strengths of the genre. Now, they're just one more social graph, more or less.

• sagilsagil Member CommonPosts: 291
    Originally posted by Darkmoth
    Originally posted by sagil

You know, it's possible people are simply getting burned out on the "always connected to all your friends" thing. Since Web 2.0, everything is social. Foursquare, Spotify, Last.fm, Goog+, Facebook, Steam, Pinterest, Path, etc. When my friends get a Rift Achievement, it auto-tweets. I'm on Mumble listening to two people play GW1 and TF2. After a while the trend becomes a cliche, and people relish a little separation.

At one point, MMOs were one of the best way to be connected to people online. Community was one of the defining strengths of the genre. Now, they're just one more social graph, more or less.

I disagree. Gaming is sort of a political ground. You hang with friends that like your gaming genre. And you like to listen only to their concerns while hearing other play games you're not interesting give you a headache. Now, my brother is a LoL player, but ofc I like to speak to him everyday, just not when he invites our old friends to skype that play LoL too now. It's just a big mess in my head when I hear them enjoying a game I don't enjoy at all.

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099
    Originally posted by Psychow

In recent years, we seem to have developed this strange new season between spring and fall.  We're still struggling to figure out what to do with it.

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395
    Originally posted by GTwander

2nd generation MMO-goers are lobby-based gamers that simply "don't get it", and never will.

/thread

This would be true if people actually played the games that have been coming out. But they aren't.

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035
    Originally posted by maplestone
    Originally posted by Psychow

In recent years, we seem to have developed this strange new season between spring and fall.  We're still struggling to figure out what to do with it.

Global warming strikes again!

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• dannydeucedannydeuce Member Posts: 310

The games this past year and up until now have been not that great for me.  Thus, I play LoL and Skyrim.  I won't be wasting my time until August.

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

I find it interesting (and hilarious) that the OP is complaining his friends are playing 'LoL' when he admits he played 'Dota' before in the very next sentence.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• Mors-SubitaMors-Subita Member UncommonPosts: 517

whereabouts in canada?

Originally posted by Mors-Subita

whereabouts in canada?

Niagara. St. Catharines to be more specific

#TeamVainlash

• engellenengellen Member UncommonPosts: 83

wow  so many opinions and none of them matter.

played a million mmo's

• SquishydewSquishydew Member UncommonPosts: 1,107

Lol, i remember seeing the exact same type of posts like every year for at least the last four years.

You're all just really picky is what the problem is.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Darkmoth

There I agree with you but I think thatwill have a bigger impact om facebook than MMOs.

The problem with MMOsis more that they need to move out ofWows shadow and start moving away from the past.

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504
    Originally posted by GTwander

/thread

Gotta admit it'd be delicious irony if gamers left the genre and it died as a result of exactly what bittervets wanted: those players out of their genre.

But honestly I don't see that happening for quite a while.

And seriously, a developer who attempted to cater to the tiny niche of oldschool MMORPGers would be the one who "doesn't get it".  Whereas a developer who created a genuinely new game within the framework of a MMORPG would probably enjoy the same kind of crazy success as LoL -- by challenging the genre's preconceived notions (particularly the bittervets' notions) and plunging forward with good game design.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver