Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

F2P games are EXPENSIVE!

OcenicaOcenica Member UncommonPosts: 96

If something is free your either going to wind up paying too much for it, or it's not worth anything.  

I have been reading quite a lot about how F2P could replace traditional subs and I'm going to let you guys in on a little secret.  You really don't want that to happen.   It sounds like your going to get to play a game for free, never fork over any cash and just love every second of it.  Sorry, that is NOT going to happen.

These companies can sometimes employ up to hundreds of people that have familes to support.  They don't work for free the same as you wouldn't work for free.  Someone has to pay up and eventually, if you do get hooked, that will be you.  Oh, and saying you won't get hooked doesn't work either.  If your reading something on MMORPG your probably already familiar with being hooked on some mmo at some point so don't even try that silly argument. You know it can happen.

So lets say you do get hooked.  Well then instead of a measly $15 a month (if your cheap and only pay 1 month at a time / who does that?!) Your going to get nickle and dimed to death.  I'll give you an example. 

My best friend Steve (that's his real name too!) stoped playing WoW because he said it cost to much.  Blah blah blah $15 a month for those Aholes who are already rich Blah Blah Blah.  He went off to play some F2P game .  Well, after much nudging he came back after about a year, but he said the reason he came back was because when he figured up all the $2-$5 purchases he made, he was spending an average of $50 a month!!

Don't buy into the F2P.  Avoid it, beat it off with a stick, it's a zombie irl.  Pony up $15 for a month and give it a shot.  If you love it, then great, the entertainment is cheap.  If you hate it, $15 for 30 days is still sooooo cheap.  You can't buy that kind of entertainment anywhere.  Not at a strip club, not at a movie theater.  Not driving around town because your bored since you don't have anything to do because you didn't want to spend a couple of bucks and enjoy your free time.

STOP BEING SO DAMN CHEAP!  Your huring yourself.

FYI, no i don't work for any game companies.

Comments

• NeblessNebless Member RarePosts: 1,835

Guess what ... It only cost's money if you want it to.

I play LotRO and use the ingame TP I earn to pay for everything.  I've played DDO for a couple of years now and put a wopping $20.00 into it (just in case you don't want to do the math that comes out to .83cents a month).  Haven't put any money into AoC, PotBS or STO and I've had loads of fun in all those games.

Would I still play if they were P2p?  Some of them yes, others no.

Bottom line, if you just have to have that brand new shiney that just came out to make your game play enjoyable .... go for it.  Me?  No thanks.

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO (pre-f2p) - GnH (beta tester) - SWTOR - Neverwinter

• NeblessNebless Member RarePosts: 1,835

double post

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO (pre-f2p) - GnH (beta tester) - SWTOR - Neverwinter

• Sameer1979Sameer1979 Member Posts: 362
    Originally posted by Nebless

I play LotRO and use the ingame TP I earn to pay for everything.  I've played DDO for a couple of years now and put a wopping $20.00 into it (just in case you don't want to do the math that comes out to .83cents a month).  Haven't put any money into AoC, PotBS or STO and I've had loads of fun in all those games.

Bottom line, if you just have to have that brand new shiney that just came out to make your game play enjoyable .... go for it.  Me?  No thanks.

Not all F2P MMOS work on same basis as LOTRO and DDO but even then best deal is to stick to monthly sub for F2P titles. F2P is just a gimmick and ends up hurting your pocket even more.

• KingGatorKingGator Member UncommonPosts: 428
    Originally posted by Sameer1979
    Originally posted by Nebless

Not all F2P MMOS work on same basis as LOTRO and DDO but even then best deal is to stick to monthly sub for F2P titles. F2P is just a gimmick and ends up hurting your pocket even more.

Exactly this, I've been screaming this for some time. I think f2p is popular because most gamers, and I don't mean this insultingly but its going to come off that way, are broke arse college students or young people and they have visions of playing for free. What generation occupy doesn't understand is that nothing is free. f2p will cost you more than a sub and actually puts you at a disadvantage vs old men like me who could spend 1oo bucks a month on this crap and not even blink.(I won't do it on principal, but I could pay 2 win quite easily)

Moreover these games ae my escape, my fantasy world, the minute you bring real world economic considerations into the game you bring the real world into the game and make them far less interesting to me.

I don't think sub games are dead. WoW is a sub game and is by far the most popular game in the world. The reason sub games have failed of late isn't the frekaing payment model it is quite simply that bad game was bad.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005
    Originally posted by KingGator

Moreover these games ae my escape, my fantasy world, the minute you bring real world economic considerations into the game you bring the real world into the game and make them far less interesting to me.

This. 

Same for me.

• Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675

Funny, I've never spent a cent in any F2P game.  Ever.  Never will either.  Zero.  Zip.  Nada.

It only costs you if you CHOOSE to pay.  Otherwise, nobody is holding a gun to your head.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

"Steve" isn't real I take it.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• saluksaluk Member Posts: 325

Bleh. I don't like f2p because I am broke, I like f2p because I don't feel like I am tied to a specific game. I can mix and match and try a lot of games out, and don't have to quit one to play another. I am not a broke college student, but I DO have to manage how much money I am spending each month, and it would be irresponsible to play more than 2 or 3 p2p mmos. Most f2p games are pretty crappy, but the model is improving over time. DDO and Lotro do pretty well with it and it feels fair; guild wars where you buy the box is pretty cool too.

p2p is on the way out, and I am not going to shed too many tears to see it go. I'd rather the people who have money to spend and really want to spent the money have the option, through the cash shop, to show their support for the game; while people who still aren't sure how deep they want to go into the game can be kind of a tourist, seeing what the game has to offer.

• OcenicaOcenica Member UncommonPosts: 96

I guess if you don't get hooked and your able to play for free that's great.  I'm just putting it out there its a bad idea.  It's like gambeling. Some people get hooked, and some people don't.  Everyone says they won't let it happen to them but it does to some.  F2P is a bad idea imo.  It really drains the people that do love the game to make up for the ones that just kinda enjoy a few hours of it.  Oh and yes lol, steve is real :)

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,737

The OP complains about it being too expensive then doesn't even list one f2p game where he/she paid too much money......I've been playing them since 2005 and have spent a total of 90 dollars....How many p2p players can say that?

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Alarmist with zero-willpower friend in tale of woe non-shocker. News at 11.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,346

There are a huge number of different business models that call themselves "free to play", and they shouldn't all be lumped in together.

• HurvartHurvart Member Posts: 565

If I play a F2P game I will actually spend a fortune. I will want everything that can boost my character or help me progress faster. And I will use everything all the time. This is why I dont play F2P games. Because I know I will spend way to much if I get hooked and cant stop playing a game like that. And if I dont buy and use evrything I will not have fun. I guess it is my powergamer attitude. If there are advantages I can have I must get them and use them. And I cant stop thinking about them when I play. And very soon I will go to the CS and spend spend spend...

People that can play a F2P game and never spend anything are not like me at all. I am a different sort of gamer. Probably the type of player that F2P companies hope will play the games.

Thats why I dont like the F2P games. Because I know they are designed to make people like me spend a fortune. And that a game like that will become a very sad and expensive habit.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

These threads usually put a smile on my face as the "I pay nothing!" players pipe in with their deeds of stinginess. They never think about if 90% of the gamers played the way they did? Well... F2P would become a model of the past.

I do applaud those that can play F2P without spending a dollar. They must be in heaven. I just wish they would open their eyes and realize that someone is keeping their free game afloat. Players DO exist that spend quite a lot in the cash shops and that in turn supports the true free players.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• DisdenaDisdena Member UncommonPosts: 1,093
    Originally posted by AlBQuirky

These threads usually put a smile on my face as the "I pay nothing!" players pipe in with their deeds of stinginess. They never think about if 90% of the gamers played the way they did? Well... F2P would become a model of the past.

I do applaud those that can play F2P without spending a dollar. They must be in heaven. I just wish they would open their eyes and realize that someone is keeping their free game afloat. Players DO exist that spend quite a lot in the cash shops and that in turn supports the true free players.

If you're claiming that you know a F2P game where fewer than 90% of the players play for free, cite your source, please.

• Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675
    Originally posted by Hurvart

If I play a F2P game I will actually spend a fortune. I will want everything that can boost my character or help me progress faster. And I will use everything all the time. This is why I dont play F2P games. Because I know I will spend way to much if I get hooked and cant stop playing a game like that. And if I dont buy and use evrything I will not have fun. I guess it is my powergamer attitude. If there are advantages I can have I must get them and use them. And I cant stop thinking about them when I play. And very soon I will go to the CS and spend spend spend...

So you have no self control.  Whose fault is that?

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None

• MexorillaMexorilla Member Posts: 313

it's only expensive if you let it be.  you can choose to not pay a dime.

• AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854
    Originally posted by AlBQuirky

I can't seem to find the study again, I believe it was from Newzoo's MMO Market Report, however it seems they may have taken that part out of the website (as they sell their research). The data was that approximatively 75% of F2P players have never spent any money, about 15% spend money casually, and the remaining 10% spends a lot of money. I'm sure someone must have the link somewhere, the study's been used a lot on MMORPG.com's users.

F2P Players are also aware that there are those who are supporting the game so they can play for free, but in the F2P industry, it's the "norm". The F2P business model is built around this very fact, they know that only a minority spents money. But those F2P players also have their purpose, even if they never spend a dime: they populate the game. They're part of the reason why the players who pay continue to play and pay (because they have other players to play with).

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

f2p games are expensive... freemium games like LOTRO and DDO are much better value wise (or maybe the turbine model is just genius, i dunno but it seems pretty fair to me).

i dont mind paying 12.99 a month for 3 months or 15 a month for a game i'm going to play for 15 hours each week of that month, that's money well spent to me.  I especially dont feel bad if i know it's a good game company that  releases quality updates like trion.  and ccp most of the time (boot.ini debacle and monoclegate being 2 notable exceptions).

this being said there are actually 2 games that you can play for free, after a time.  eve, thanks to PLEX and now tera thanks to chronoscrolls.  you can spend in game currency to buy 30 days play from someone else.  so in reality you arent playing for free but rather you are giving someone else incentive to pay for you.

when i need a second account in eve (i keep one active always and a second one sometimes) i find that, when i put my mind to it, i can rake enough ISK (eve currency) to buy 30 days time in about 10 hours played in game.  less if my main is not somewhere inaccessable ad i can use him to help the alt's efficiency.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854
    Originally posted by Ocenica

If something is free your either going to wind up paying too much for it, or it's not worth anything.  

I have been reading quite a lot about how F2P could replace traditional subs and I'm going to let you guys in on a little secret.  You really don't want that to happen.   It sounds like your going to get to play a game for free, never fork over any cash and just love every second of it.  Sorry, that is NOT going to happen.

These companies can sometimes employ up to hundreds of people that have familes to support.  They don't work for free the same as you wouldn't work for free.  Someone has to pay up and eventually, if you do get hooked, that will be you.  Oh, and saying you won't get hooked doesn't work either.  If your reading something on MMORPG your probably already familiar with being hooked on some mmo at some point so don't even try that silly argument. You know it can happen.

So lets say you do get hooked.  Well then instead of a measly $15 a month (if your cheap and only pay 1 month at a time / who does that?!) Your going to get nickle and dimed to death.  I'll give you an example. 

My best friend Steve (that's his real name too!) stoped playing WoW because he said it cost to much.  Blah blah blah $15 a month for those Aholes who are already rich Blah Blah Blah.  He went off to play some F2P game .  Well, after much nudging he came back after about a year, but he said the reason he came back was because when he figured up all the $2-$5 purchases he made, he was spending an average of $50 a month!!

Don't buy into the F2P.  Avoid it, beat it off with a stick, it's a zombie irl.  Pony up $15 for a month and give it a shot.  If you love it, then great, the entertainment is cheap.  If you hate it, $15 for 30 days is still sooooo cheap.  You can't buy that kind of entertainment anywhere.  Not at a strip club, not at a movie theater.  Not driving around town because your bored since you don't have anything to do because you didn't want to spend a couple of bucks and enjoy your free time.

STOP BEING SO DAMN CHEAP!  Your huring yourself.

FYI, no i don't work for any game companies.

I've been playing the same MMORPG for 3 years (Mabinogi). I've spent in total 150$ on that game throughout these 3 years because I really like it.  Now let's count how much money I would've spent on a P2P for 3 years : $60 for the box, $540 in monthly sub over those 3 years ($15/month) and let's say $30 for an expansion. That's $630, pretty far from the $150 I spent on Mabinogi, right? What's more? If I take a break from the game, I don't need to shell out another $15 just to be able to get in, why? because it's F2P.

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504
    Originally posted by Sameer1979

If they compromise their gameplay for a dollar, they're not worth playing.  So don't play and don't pay.  Pretty simple.

Stick with the quality F2P games which either don't compromise their gameplay at all (LoL, Tribes, SMNC) or compromise it only a teeny tiny amount (DDO, LOTRO, EQ2).

All 6 of those examples only offer lateral unlocks and not pay2win power purchasing.  As a direct result, I've dumped a lot of money into most of those games.  The more gamers who follow suit, the better integrity you'll see in F2P games because companies will be concerned with quality and integrity first and not sell pay2win things (because it won't work.)

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964
    Originally posted by Theocritus

The OP complains about it being too expensive then doesn't even list one f2p game where he/she paid too much money......I've been playing them since 2005 and have spent a total of 90 dollars....How many p2p players can say that?

I can name a game that is truly a pirate when it comes to you and your money..

I am not dissing the game cause I did have some fun in the F2P non payment model, but this is truly one of the most expensive F2P model mmo out there to stay competitive.

And your right, nobody is holding a gun to your head, however some players don't have self control when it comes to F2P, it's almost as bad as owning a credit card for the first time.

As devs stated in games.. It's working as intended.

I hate F2P mmo's that don't have a montly sub for $14.99 and stay clear of them entirely.

• dotdotdashdotdotdash Member UncommonPosts: 485

I think the most I put into a F2P game was LotRo. I spent around 40$ on the game, and played it for around 6 months. With STO, I spent around 40$ and played it for the same period.

I've played a sea of other F2P titles and not paid a penny.

It's entirely subjective, tbh. Theoretically you may end up paying more than you would for a P2P game, especially if you're constantly hammering the XP pots etc down, but that's a big theory.

Generally today, F2P games and P2P games (before cash shops) tend to work out as costing the same amount of money for the same amount of content. The thing with an F2P game is that you buy that content when you need that content, rather than buying all the content at once every time you sub.

• LithuanianLithuanian Member UncommonPosts: 540

Well well well...let us begin there are some types of F2P models.  But every F2P MMORPG does give you a basic content for free: go, pick character, make weapons, explore territories, do quests. Only later they do differ.

Example:

Runescape: go play wherever you want (f2p - limited territory only), do quests whatever you like (f2p - limited territory only), take any school you want (f2p - limited schools). So, if you are satisfied with it - go and play. No one forces, although strongly implies.

Istaria: go wherever you want, do quests whatever you like, take any school, pick any race (f2p - Human only), buy any pland plot and build your buildings (unavailable for f2p).

LOTRO (as per rumors I heared, no direct xp): go weherever you want (f2p - can purchase), du quests whatever you like (f2p can purchase), take any  school you want.

Some games does sell items: one game will sell vanity items ("just look at this Beautifull Diamond That Gives No Status But Looks Pretty!"), some may be focused on status increasing.

It is player that decides. He should know how many cash he can spend for game items and if player gets out of control, it's not a game to blame. Basic content is always free to play. Be satisfied with it and you won't pay a penny, no one would ever force you, no pop-up will appear "purchase anything for at least 10$ or get banned!".

You decide. You get hooked or not. You may make game cost you 0 cents or 100 dollars per month.

• dotdotdashdotdotdash Member UncommonPosts: 485
    Originally posted by HiGHPLAiNS
    Originally posted by Theocritus

I can name a game that is truly a pirate when it comes to you and your money..

I am not dissing the game cause I did have some fun in the F2P non payment model, but this is truly one of the most expensive F2P model mmo out there to stay competitive.

And your right, nobody is holding a gun to your head, however some players don't have self control when it comes to F2P, it's almost as bad as owning a credit card for the first time.

As devs stated in games.. It's working as intended.

I hate F2P mmo's that don't have a montly sub for $14.99 and stay clear of them entirely.

Deriding an entire payment model because one game abused it is hardly fair, or logical.

For every game that tries to exploit you, there are a sea of others that do not. Surely you should judge each game on its merits, rather than applying a very general (and misguided) observation to the entire market?

If you purchased a car off Ford and it didn't work properly, and Ford then charged you to repair it, you wouldn't then go out and deride Fiat, Porche, Audi, VW, Ferrari, Saab and every other car manufacturer for Ford's problems, would you? >.>