Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TERA: Whimsical Weapon Skins Debut

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

En Masse Entertainment has announced that the new Whimsical Weapon Skins are now available in the item mall for TERA. Included skins can change the look of any ordinary weapon to things ranging from a slingshot to a drill bit to a plucky princess wand. Each retails for $9.99.

Weapon skins:

• are “one-time use” items: they are only redeemable for one character through the Item Claim.

• are permanent items (not consumed after use).

• may be reused indefinitely with different weapons once they are soulbound.

• are not trade-able, sell-able, or discard-able.

See the full list with images on the TERA site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991

aaaaannnnnd.....with that I'm cancelling my sub. What is it with korean games and completely ruining their world in the name of "fun"? I need look no further than Aion and ppl running around wearing bathing suits and plastic swimmies to know where TERA is headed.

Joined - July 2004

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654
    Originally posted by remyburke

aaaaannnnnd.....with that I'm cancelling my sub. What is it with korean games and completely ruining their world in the name of "fun"? I need look no further than Aion and ppl running around wearing bathing suits and plastic swimmies to know where TERA is headed.

I guess you are allergic to fun... and have no sense of humor.

BRB buying the bear skin for my sorc. 

• ArezonArezon Member UncommonPosts: 282

The bear skin is pretty cool. But I wouldn't buy it for $10 buckets.

• RanyrRanyr Member UncommonPosts: 212

You're a figment of a dream, in a world created by two sleeping Titans. Everything around you is a fantasy and is not real.

So basically you're just allergic to fun as Laughing-man said. *Shrugs* I bought the slingshot for my Elin archer. Love this game.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001

Well, I'll be honest, I'm with Remy as far as my aesthetic sensibillites go. Not canceling my sub at all but I think I'll pass on the whimsy.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035
    Originally posted by Arezon

The bear skin is pretty cool. But I wouldn't buy it for $10 buckets.

Pretty much the same sentiment here.

I could get some pretty cool indie games on Steam for that 10 bones, can't see the same value out of just reskinning my disc.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• bingbongbrosbingbongbros Member UncommonPosts: 689
    Im tired of games charging the price of a month subscription for something small as a weapon skin. I want the ability to gain something cool as these skins in game. Im not made of money.

Playing: Smite, Marvel Heroes
    Played: Nexus:Kingdom of the Winds, Everquest, DAoC, Everquest 2, WoW, Matrix Online, Vangaurd, SWG, DDO, EVE, Fallen Earth, LoTRo, CoX, Champions Online, WAR, Darkfall, Mortal Online, Guild Wars, Rift, Tera, Aion, AoC, Gods and Heroes, DCUO, FF14, TSW, SWTOR, GW2, Wildstar, ESO, ArcheAge
    Waiting On: Nothing. Mmorpg's are dead.

• Poison_AdelePoison_Adele Member CommonPosts: 287

Box price + subscription + cash shop. Seems legit.

• lastgunstarlastgunstar Member Posts: 7

I can understand companies wanting to make money... but when your player base is paying you monthly... priorities should be... ya know... gameplay stuff. And these prices... they must really be targeting those with disposable income. Do they want players to choose between continuing their subs, or a bear suit?

• XiveilXiveil Member UncommonPosts: 12

Let's think of it this way.  It's not hurting you if you choose not to buy it.  People complain about it, but why? Just to be obnoxious?  I'm not personally going to buy them because I don't think 10$ a skin is remotely worth it.  But it's no big deal to me if others do.  It's their money is it not?

It's also not giving you an advantage in ANY way so it's not hurting the other players. But if you've got the time to complain about how much you don't want it,  you really need to find something more constructive to give feedback about like actual gameplay. Or be like one of the few people who said they would be more interested in it at a cheaper price, which can actually change things.

• umcorianumcorian Member UncommonPosts: 519
    Originally posted by Xiveil

Let's think of it this way.  It's not hurting you if you choose not to buy it.  People complain about it, but why? Just to be obnoxious?  I'm not personally going to buy them because I don't think 10$ a skin is remotely worth it.  But it's no big deal to me if others do.  It's their money is it not?

It's also not giving you an advantage in ANY way so it's not hurting the other players. But if you've got the time to complain about how much you don't want it,  you really need to find something more constructive to give feedback about like actual gameplay. Or be like one of the few people who said they would be more interested in it at a cheaper price, which can actually change things.

A lot of people do play these games for the immersion factor. I can see someone making a case for an particularly silly item just really having no place in a fantasy setting. Aion was notorious: turning your weapons into candy canes or stupid shit like that. Seeing people running around with crap like that does impact my own enjoyment of the game negatively. 

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

i love when asian mmos start adding their cute stuff and also harajuku inspired stuff resembling their asian goodness. BUT!!!! that wont bring me to TERA unless the subscription is gone.

.......still waiting.

• DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701
    Originally posted by rojo6934

i love when asian mmos start adding their cute stuff and also harajuku inspired stuff resembling their asian goodness. BUT!!!! that wont bring me to TERA unless the subscription is gone.

.......still waiting.

in a way it is gone, lots of people like myself buy chronoscrolls in game with gold and never have to pay a monthly sub again. takes me a couple hours of grinding gold and i can get a scroll that pays for the whole month.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by DrunkWolf
    Originally posted by rojo6934

.......still waiting.

in a way it is gone, lots of people like myself buy chronoscrolls in game with gold and never have to pay a monthly sub again. takes me a couple hours of grinding gold and i can get a scroll that pays for the whole month.

grinding gold doesnt sound fun to me. Just like grinding for gear, for level, for quest items... I rarely make a lot of money in most mmos i play, but i also play at my own pace (removing the chore of the grinding by taking my time doing it) having fun with the least grind possible (i dont mind lasting an eternity to reach lvl cap). If i was OK with grinding i would have been playing right now with some chronoscrolls :) but thats not the case ;)

• bingbongbrosbingbongbros Member UncommonPosts: 689

can I use chronoscrolls to buy these weapon skins?

Playing: Smite, Marvel Heroes
    Played: Nexus:Kingdom of the Winds, Everquest, DAoC, Everquest 2, WoW, Matrix Online, Vangaurd, SWG, DDO, EVE, Fallen Earth, LoTRo, CoX, Champions Online, WAR, Darkfall, Mortal Online, Guild Wars, Rift, Tera, Aion, AoC, Gods and Heroes, DCUO, FF14, TSW, SWTOR, GW2, Wildstar, ESO, ArcheAge
    Waiting On: Nothing. Mmorpg's are dead.

• TeekayTeekay Member Posts: 94

BHS Employee 1: Hmm..shall we fix pvp, add in a reason or make it meaningful?

BHs Employee 2: Or what if we make the Vanarche system have some sort of actual impact?

BHS Employee 1: Or we could patch in some class balance issues, or some new items?

BHS Employee 3: How about we put new skins in the cash shop to make some more money out of this p.o.s before it goes completely under?

Altogether : GENIUS!! LET'S GO GET LUNCH!!!

Have fun showing off those candy cane looking weapons to the other 5 people who are playing this game in 4 months. They're not even hiding the money grabbing anymore.

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991

Heheheh...I'll be honest; this latest batch of Candyland Online skins is just the final nail in the coffin for me and TERA. I love the combat and the graphics in a big way, but the game offers little else for me. I got to lvl 60, but didn't want to grind for gear and enchants. It's just more of a pet peeve of mine, when games add things to it which obviously have no place. It bothers me because I have to look at it, and it destroys what little immersion there is for me. Stupid, gimmicky items fall under the same category as stupid names, like "Stevepwnsjoo."

Thank god for games with a darker, more mature tone, like DayZ and The Secret World. Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to go to the pharmacy and pick up my fun allergy medication.

Joined - July 2004

• DalynDalyn Member CommonPosts: 19
    Originally posted by Xiveil

The current items won't really affect gameplay sure but it would probably be safe to bet this is only a start and we will see items that do give an edge to gameplay start to be introduced sometime.

(Not that I'd quit either way, but I do see why some people don't like it)

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654
    Originally posted by Teekay

BHS Employee 1: Hmm..shall we fix pvp, add in a reason or make it meaningful?

BHs Employee 2: Or what if we make the Vanarche system have some sort of actual impact?

BHS Employee 1: Or we could patch in some class balance issues, or some new items?

BHS Employee 3: How about we put new skins in the cash shop to make some more money out of this p.o.s before it goes completely under?

Altogether : GENIUS!! LET'S GO GET LUNCH!!!

Have fun showing off those candy cane looking weapons to the other 5 people who are playing this game in 4 months. They're not even hiding the money grabbing anymore.

Cute, but wrong, these skins were available in Korea about a year ago, meaning it took NO development away from making new content on the En Masse side.  

But it was a nice little imaginary conversation...