Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I want to love you!

OcenicaOcenica Member UncommonPosts: 96

I just can't seem to.  I'm in my 4th attempt at playing EvE.  The first attempt I just didn't have the patience to sit down and learn all the stuff in the training tutorial.  That was about 2 years ago and granted, it was a really tough tutorial back then.  I tried again about a year ago and made it through the updated tutorial and played for about 4 days out of a trial, then got bored.  

My 3rd attempt was fairly successful.  I decided to become a miner and made it up to a Hulk vessel.  I got into a corp and we went out mining together.  I never had such a boring and dull time in all my gaming life.  I quit after about 3-4 days of this mining adventure.  Didn't even haul my ship in I was so depressed.  Just logged out, mid-grind.  That was about 9-10 months ago.  

I decided I would try it again, a 4th time.  I wanted to blow stuff up, get in a group, and fight others.  I've made it through tutorial (a refresher) and bam it hits me again.  I'm just not enthralled.  Am I the only one that wants to love this game but just can't for the life of me get into it?  I mean it's got everything you could ask for in an MMO. Large single server, lots of choices, a constantly evolving universe.  What is it I'm missing, because seriously I want to know!

Comments

• FastSlothFastSloth Member Posts: 132

Eve is okay unless you expect "fun". It's really "a second job that you have to pay for".

Mining never gets any better than that. If you've joined a mining corp then you were probably surrounded by 50+ year old truck drivers or people who use Eve as a chatroom while getting drunk.

Hm. Go PVP and you won't ever see your enemy, I don't even know if Eve has proper combat logs, I never figured out what anything meant and the overview was okay if you took a 4 weeks course in (eve) uni to learn it. The enemy is always a cross on the overview or a cross in space. I've never seen a titan but I bet even they are only a cross on your overview most of the time.

Go trading and you'll die of stress symptomes and quit your day job soonish.

It goes on like that. Eve has a lot to do, but most of it isn't actually fun. It's a good screensaver with stuff to do in it, packed with rude socially underdeveloped dropouts, poor beings trapped in a treadmill that they think is meaningful.

It's "okay" if you want to play a game with a social engine at all costs.

Source: Played Eve for at least a year, made ISK, made an alliance. Never made any friends, never actually had fun, only stress.

The special kind of player they want to attractive really is a very, very "special" kind of player. He doesn't mind that he isn't enjoying the time he's spending on Eve. He hates himself and just wants something to do for distraction. He doesn't want to be seen outside and enjoys the illusion of never-ending progress.

• Paradigm68Paradigm68 Member UncommonPosts: 890

I'm kind of in the same situation. I think EvE is the best mmo out there, it just takes more than I'm willing to give to enjoy it.

• OcenicaOcenica Member UncommonPosts: 96

Yes, explains my suspicions concerning EvE.  Sadly :(

Thx though!

• shinkanshinkan Member UncommonPosts: 240

sometimes one just have to accept that not everything is for everyone.

• keviebyokeviebyo Member UncommonPosts: 31

I'm currently on my 4th attempt at liking  Eve. A friend and I wanted to just forget the big ships, buy 10 frigates and fit them, then just explore low-sec until we blew someone up or died. The problem was, people are hard to find. The server population is about half of what it was the last time I gave Eve a try.

It's not for a lack of CCP trying. They've made some improvements, but it's still such a slow paced game where you get 1 hour of fun for every 5 hours played (if you're lucky). I've tried trading/hauling, mining, mission running, exploration... anything I could think of to get some fun out of Eve, but it's just not there. Right now I'm playing it with ISK as my high score, missioning to get that total up and spend as little as possible. Like other people said, it's more like a second job than anything.

The most unfortuante thing is, it's still one of the best sci-fi mmos out there.

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766

I had to try to never try this again. For the same reason. I know I won't like it, it just sounds so damn appealing to me. Every time I play it I get a little bit further into whatever I wanted to do last time, but restarting constantly sucks, and going right back into what I was doing before on my old character leaves me confused. I attempted to join a corp and just stick it out last time and it was fun for about 2 days but then I just had no urge to do anything in the game. It requires so much patience and knowledge of exactly what you want to do, and you have to know you will have fun doing what you chose otherwise it is going to suck. I have urges every expansion that is released for the game to jump right back in and try it again, but after my 5th time of purchasing it at 75% off just to get a month, I know I won't enjoy it. You can't force yourself to like a game that sounds good to you, you have to physically enjoy what it is about to like the game. Liking ideas just isn't enough I learned.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

Well, one thing is certain, so far this thread is definitely full of people that EVE really wasn't designed for.

But despite what they are saying, many people actually do find EVE fun (I did so for 3.5 years) but they are accurate in one respect, EVE can be a huge consumer of your time which is actually one of the main reasons I finally left.

EVE's a good game, its just not for everyone. (just truck drivers apparently)  image

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• calranthecalranthe Member UncommonPosts: 359

I found eve pve to be okay but lacking in challenge, same with hisec living, it was too easy and missions snorefest, some have improved but that was 4 years ago when I finally found myself dying to another player for the first time and "BOOM" it clicked, I have spent 4 years + in losec and 0.0 more fun  and challenge than any other game played.

• kovahkovah Member UncommonPosts: 692

Opinions are like....  Well, you know.  

That said, I don't care for many games but you won't find me on their forums talking about me not liking them unless I'm attempting to troll.

Just stopped in to provide some food for thought.

Carry on.

o7

• Sunch007Sunch007 Member Posts: 2

I think it highly depends who you run into in your first hours/days of EVE as well, with some luck you run into a good  and fun bunch of people to play with. The game really shines when you join up with a player corporation as teamwork is pretty much a must to get things done in EVE.  Feel free to hit me up ingame sometime, I can probably introduce you to various corporations depending on what you're looking for!

Nickname: Sunch

That said, EVE is a sandbox so you'll have to set goals for yourself, this mostly hits people mid/end of the series of tutorial missions and often proves to be a huge obstacle for a large amount of players. In that sense, EVE isn't for everyone.

Been playing since 07, EVE had it's ups and downs, but once you get through the "rookie barrier" It's definately a game worth playing for a long time!

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703

Whilst I think eve is the best mmorpg out there, I too just can't get into it(although I last 44 days).

I would say that if you want to try the pvp thing properly maybe trying to join red or blue (someone may need to correct me here) would be a good idea.  

Also don't forget that the tutorials don't just give you information but a brief idea on what some parts of eve offer.  So if you can run through them then go to arnon and try the sisters of eve arc then go from there.

Originally posted by kovah

Opinions are like....  Well, you know.  

That said, I don't care for many games but you won't find me on their forums talking about me not liking them unless I'm attempting to troll.

Just stopped in to provide some food for thought.

Carry on.

o7

No, you just step into forums, click on a topic whose content you obviously didn't understand because nobody here said that they didn't like Eve, came to the conclusion that you didn't like said topic and then proceeded to post in it anyway with the ironic message above.

I wouldn't do that unless I'm attempting to troll, but - People like you are like... Well, you know. Postcount +1, right?

• likuetlikuet Member Posts: 5

Here is my input on all this.

1. This game takes patience if you dont have that you might aswell go play something else right away.

2. The game is boring as hell IF you dont find any friends and have fun with them. Best way to do it is to start playing with a friend and have fun blowing stuff up while talking about alot of other stuff on TS or whatever. The game is like Real life. You need good people around you or you are gonna have a BAD time. Noone loves playing basketball alone day after day after day. You need friends and play with them to make the best out of it. Same goes with EVE. 

3. The enviroment in the game is extremely Noob UNfriendly. The learning curve is steep. If you cant get through that stage, youll never make it to point where good stuff starts happening. 

My suggestion: Start playing with your friends and do stuff togeather. Set yourselves small goals, small plans that can be achieved in short amount of time. Try to learn what ships you can fly to make a good combo and have fun. Frigates are easy to get in are cheap and extremely fun.

GL HF

• rznkainrznkain Member Posts: 539
    Originally posted by Karahandras

Whilst I think eve is the best mmorpg out there, I too just can't get into it(although I last 44 days).

I would say that if you want to try the pvp thing properly maybe trying to join red or blue (someone may need to correct me here) would be a good idea.  

Also don't forget that the tutorials don't just give you information but a brief idea on what some parts of eve offer.  So if you can run through them then go to arnon and try the sisters of eve arc then go from there.

Sorry cannot agree with you at all.Eve has always have a very vocal group remember a few years ago how they manipulated the mmorpg yearly voting for best mmo,best graphics.etc etc lol.But back on track Eve isn't the best mmog heck it's not even the best Sci-Fi mmog.Anarchy Online imo even being 11 years old is still the best Sci-Fi game Eve offers pretty much a pretty screen saver background.

• SlaverHoundSlaverHound Member Posts: 109

It's for the best.

CCP has got into it's head to define eve's end game as null sec and they've already started to place the game on rails and encourage everyone to go down that track.

"Lectroids? Planet 10? Nuclear extortion? A girl named "John"?

Originally posted by SlaverHound

It's for the best.

CCP has got into it's head to define eve's end game as null sec and they've already started to place the game on rails and encourage everyone to go down that track.

If you were looking for endgame content, WoW is over there.. ;p

That's from a guy who'd like to see what happens if high sec was removed, btw. But the answer is probably: The mafia (in today's case, Goons, but if it wasn't Goons, it would be someone else..) would take everything over, make everyone else quit, CCP would go bankrupt and Eve would be dead.

• SheistaSheista Member UncommonPosts: 1,203
    Originally posted by keviebyo

The server population is about half of what it was the last time I gave Eve a try.

This is simply untrue.  More people play EVE now than ever before.  The sub numbers have only risen since it released.  Maybe you only played in off-peak hours, because I always found even just traveling to be incredibly nerve wracking.  Came across people constantly, and low-sec was terrifying some days with how many times I could get locked by a would-be pirate before getting the hell out of there on my way somewhere.

If you don't know how to find fights, you're not using the game's resources adequately.

• OltzuOltzu Member UncommonPosts: 103

I feel like eve is one of the only mmorpgs where grouping actually is encouraged.

One thing that got me hooked on eve was the numerous ways u can fit ur ship.

Theres like a hidden class system, where if i fit my ship right, i can be either a healer, tank, dps, support or whatever strange combination.

I also like the fact that i can play for free... cus you know, im so awesome at making isk (plex)

• palulalulapalulalula Member UncommonPosts: 651

Well what to say hmmm..... I cant understand how some people are not able to jump in to pvp :O. What i do to jump fast in to pvp is to join Militia.. It is so simple guys aaaaaa! Join for example  Caldari miltia go to Tama and you will have in few minutes so many pvp you want.  But  you must except to be engaged in high sec  to, even when you do missions. One more--GUYS you have star map and you can see how many ships are destroyed and where for f sake

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729

Get people to play with, it makes things a whole lot better.  I wanted to kill everyone and be a scum bag so I grouped with those kind of people- worked out great.  Same goes for anything you want though, could be militia warfare etc.

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

yeah I do not understand people saying they "cannot find anyone" to engage. Really? There is a huge interactive map where you can look up stats to see what sectors are hot. 

It's not that hard. If you have NO PATIENCE then Eve Online is not the game for you, I am sorry. I've had people join and in 3 weeks were in frigates blowing stuff up, holding trade routes hostage, and causing mayhem.

I just don't get it.

Originally posted by tixylix

I tried to like it because so many things seem so cool but I just cannot over looks some things...

- Missions are so boring and yet I need to grind them to be able to make a jump clone which are a must for PVP

Estel Arador Corp Services, man. And when you finally have jump clones you'll realize that they can't be used for pvp anyway because you can only jump once per 24 hours, which forces you to live without expensive implants anyway.

• DraronDraron Member Posts: 993

I tried to like it because so many things seem so cool but I just cannot over looks some things...

- Missions are so boring and yet I need to grind them to be able to make a jump clone which are a must for PVP

Many different ways to make money for PVP than just missions. Playing the market, mining, exploration, incursions, etc.

- There is ability delay and yet no one seems to care, it's so annoying turning oiff a module and trying to activate it on another target and it goes half way again in the red... they need to fix it badly.

The game is set up so if you cancel a module, you have to let the pass run out. It's not a bug, it's part of the game.

- Malitia PVP is in low sec which I don't understand, I thought it was meant to be a gateway to PVP for people who are too scared for low sec and 0.0? Instead all that happens is you get killed by gate camps and pirates most of the time. 

It varies, it's not always in low sec. You can get decent rewards for Factional Warfare now, and if it took place exclusively in high sec then there'd be not much risk. Red vs Blue is a good thing to get into if your looking for more high sec PVP.

- Mining is boring

True. Though I haven't seen a game (besides Ryzom and FFXIV) that actually expanded on the gathering system. Hopefully CCP will get to the mining overhaul they've been mentioning for awhile now.

- The UI is too clunky, it feels live they've kept on adding new features to an old UI and it just seems like a mess, especially the corp stuff. I really hate what they've done to the inventory stuff too, I would prefer to just go back to the old system.

The UI is layed out fine to me. Kind of like the Windows UI, with the Neocom being the taskbar. Not liking it is an opinion.

- There are no fair fights, it's 100% gank and solo PVP is pretty much dead unless you pick a nano ship and just fight frigates or cruiser sized ships with a weak tank. I tried PVPing so much with a few friends but even then we'd get jumped by 20 other people every single time! Then you'd get people messaging you insulting you and....... eurgh just a horrible community in EVE. I remember my mate was in a Talos and one shotted this frigate and he just kept mailing him telling him to kill himself :

Every game has there share of bad community. PVP in EVE isn't balanced battlegrounds and arenas like other games, it's an open world where planning for the fight is just as important (or maybe more so) than the fight itself. If you scan good enough, you should be able to pick up a squad of 20 for sure before your getting jumped, unless your gate camped. It's always good to have a spec-ops friend to come along. Small scale PVP is still viable, tons of videos on Youtube of it happening.

- Making money in the game is boring. Every single thing you do is repetitive and offers no actual gameplay or story or anything interesting. Really making money in this game is just about clicking on the UI over and over, it really is a browser game like Farmville or something rather than a game..... that sounds weird but :

There is no story outside of Epic Arcs and the little you get during missions. It's just that kind of game. But I could argue any MMO game revolves around repetitive tasks for making money. But joining a player corp or even going solo and picking off targets with precision gives you a rush unlike any other game. Incursions put any raid I've done in WoW (the only game I've played with raids) to shame.

To me, it sounds like EVE isn't the game for you. I wouldn't force myself to like a game, it's only going to make the experience worse.

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

- Making money in the game is boring. Every single thing you do is repetitive and offers no actual gameplay or story or anything interesting. Really making money in this game is just about clicking on the UI over and over, it really is a browser game like Farmville or something rather than a game..... that sounds weird but :

Sounds like you just stayed in hi-sec grinding missions.

Try running plexes in hostile 0.0 if you want a rush when you're making your ISK. Or maybe even try applying some creativity and make your ISK in a way that doesn't involve smooshing rats.

PS you don't need to grind missions to get a jump clone. There are corps (most famously Estel Arador's) that offer as a paid service you let you join them for a day or two and take advantage of their standings to make your jump clones. He charges a few mill a day IIRC. This is an example of what I meant by creativity.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• sycofiendsycofiend Member UncommonPosts: 129

Odd,   I have seen my share of smack talk but I actually have got more "Gudfight" or just constructive convo from enemies in eve than any other online PVP experience I can think of.