Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should GW2 release be postponed?

Comments

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459
    Originally posted by Ketill

Unless the game is not finished, I think have more to lose from delaying than competing against TSW. If they wait too long they could end up against MoP and the glut of holiday console game releases. Also, from my experience in TSW beta, unless that game has a ton of extra content that devs were holding back, many players will be "done" with most of the content by the time GW2 hits.

Exactly. People will play once through the "story", just like SW:TOR, and then be bored, just like SW:TOR. By the end of the year, TSW will be another incident in the MMO world.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938

If anything, TSW should postpone!

• LeetheLeethe Member UncommonPosts: 893
    Originally posted by tares

TSW is so bad the CEO left, it is short and boring after I beat most of it in closed beta. GW2 will own it.

like I asked before,what is TSW's plan to keep players from bailing when GW2 releases or WoW's MoP releases? As it seems like TSW is dying already.

The CEO is still emplayed with Funcom but in a different role, not exactly leaving. 

To the others: Please don't think all GW2 fans spout the same stuff as the quoted poster. 

There is NO miracle patch.

95% of what you see in beta won't change by launch.

Hope is not a stategy.

• WarbandWarband Member UncommonPosts: 723
    Originally posted by TwoThreeFour
    Originally posted by Malevil
    Originally posted by FredomSekerZ
    Originally posted by Nefera
    Originally posted by CrunkJuice2

" Mike O'Brien believes GW2 will be a "wow killer/beater""

oh god here we go,another swtor incoming

i guess maybe the developers who make these games arent really any smarter then the idiots who play them

"Nothing is going to kill WoW other than WoW."

- Mike O'Brien

Source: http://www.forbes.com/sites/johngaudiosi/2012/04/23/arenanet-founder-mike-obrien-will-be-satisfied-when-guild-wars-2-is-the-most-successful-mmo-period/

You people should stop taking my posts out context. I said, and quote myself:

Finally, "wow killer" doesn't exist, because you can't kill anoter game, just beat it. WOW beat EQ2, but not kill. And in case you missed the memo, Mike O'Brien believes GW2 will be a "wow killer/beater"

And now, i'll take from that link too:

"We're in it to win it this time,” said O’Brien. “We were number two to World of Warcraft with Guild Wars, now we want to beat them. We’ll be satisfied when the Guild Wars 2 is the most successful MMO"

Nobody plain says "We're going to kill WOW". But this is probably the closest it can get. Whatever anyway. If i'm not mistaken, O'Brien left Blizzard and formed Anet. Now he thinks ihe's big enough to start talking stupid, and wants to beat is former company. Fortunaly, he doesn't reprsent the whole of ANet.

He does represent whole company and there is nothing wrong trying to be the best. Whats stupid in saying that they want to beat WoW and become number one  ? Stupid is to be satisfied with second place, thats loosers attitude .

Because an alternative standpoint is to try to make a great game that is also economically successful; a standpoint which I believe is more accepted than the "Let's try to beat WoW". 

They've done that got the T shirt, sold 7 million and grew from what 5 people to currently around 250 employees. They (or rather her) could give two shits about doing it again, guildwars was king number 2 being the most well known online rpg post wow era that was successful. He know doesn't want to be number 2 and it's not exactly a crime. It's not like they're some random studio who saw mmo profits and went hey lets try to beat WoW or more accurately lets try and get a piece of that p2p pie. They were one of the first the think outside the box.

• MorvMorv Member UncommonPosts: 331
    Originally posted by likwidsage

I don't think people realize what a behemoth the GW2 release has become. Possibly the most *anticipated* MMO ever. Now whether that turns dream turn to reality is an other question. However, by the looks of the beta tests, previews and beta reviews, it seems that there is some truth to the hype. I doubt TSW will any effect on GW2 on release day at all.

Yet, Pandaria will almost certanly sell more. Weird huh.

On topic, 2 completly different games. This idea that 1 games affects the others gets tossed around alot and i have yet to see it happening. SWTOR didn't affect Rift. TERA didn't affect SWTOR. TSW didn't affect TERA. And i'm certain GW2 won't affect TSW.

No need to postone anything. The game's good. it will do well, just like TSW and all others. (expect TOR for obvious reasons): Is this thread a troll threads? Seems like it.

Wow's release trumped Everquest 2's release... it was an interesting event.

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

TSW is a fine game

And no, definitely do not postpone GW2's release.

That is all.

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459
    Originally posted by Morv

"Crushed" would be more appropriate. I was there in both betas and anticipated it back then in 2004.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005

Nah, it's actually a pretty brilliant time to release. 2 months of more wow like combat and endless grinding from TSE will add more players to a pool of folk who thinks there can be a variety of different playstyles other than tank and spank.  TSE is a very limited player base. First you have to be interested in the genre, then you have to be uninterested in the genre enough to try to immerse yourself in a WOW mixture of a Cthullu world.  It's a fine line.  

• Shatter30Shatter30 Member UncommonPosts: 487

I dont know anyone that plans to continue to play TSW once GW2 is out, not a problem...no delay...thx

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156
    Originally posted by Morv

I don't think people realize what a behemoth the GW2 release has become. Possibly the most *anticipated* MMO ever. Now whether that turns dream turn to reality is an other question. However, by the looks of the beta tests, previews and beta reviews, it seems that there is some truth to the hype. I doubt TSW will any effect on GW2 on release day at all.

On topic, 2 completly different games. This idea that 1 games affects the others gets tossed around alot and i have yet to see it happening. SWTOR didn't affect Rift. TERA didn't affect SWTOR. TSW didn't affect TERA. And i'm certain GW2 won't affect TSW.

No need to postone anything. The game's good. it will do well, just like TSW and all others. (expect TOR for obvious reasons): Is this thread a troll threads? Seems like it.

True, but they where also release in the same exact week. Actually, this is what i was refering to regarding MOP. Because of O'Brien's claim, i woulnd't be suprised in Blizz placed it in the same month, max, just for the hell of it. But, that's only if it's ready, IMO. Also, i can't really think of any other event like this

• ThrashbargThrashbarg Member Posts: 125

GW2 currently sitting at 5th most pre-ordered game (1st PC title on the list), with the WoW expansion (pandaria) at 24th, and TSW at 39th.

Yeah, I'm sure ANet is reeealllly worried about those other games.......

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by Finit

TSW is so bad the CEO left, it is short and boring after I beat most of it in closed beta. GW2 will own it. like I asked before,what is TSW's plan to keep players from bailing when GW2 releases or WoW's MoP releases? As it seems like TSW is dying already.

Oh God please no...He's not one of us I swear.  Guild Wars 2 is a very good game, but why does that entitle you to bash every other game that releases?

Espescially those arguments are very impressive. NOT, i have been accused of fanboiisme myself a lot, but allways based on real arguments, tough not allways understood. But mindlessly bashing other games is truely the lowest one can get on these boards. TSW is a good game. But despite all the fub i have playing it, GW2 is far more complete then TSW, but then TSW is aiming at different people.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• SorrowSorrow Member Posts: 1,195

LOL TSW will be a ghost town in the wake of GW2

• tarestares Member Posts: 381
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

TSW is so bad the CEO left, it is short and boring after I beat most of it in closed beta. GW2 will own it.

like I asked before,what is TSW's plan to keep players from bailing when GW2 releases or WoW's MoP releases? As it seems like TSW is dying already.

Oh God please no...He's not one of us I swear.  Guild Wars 2 is a very good game, but why does that entitle you to bash every other game that releases?

Espescially those arguments are very impressive. NOT, i have been accused of fanboiisme myself a lot, but allways based on real arguments, tough not allways understood. But mindlessly bashing other games is truely the lowest one can get on these boards. TSW is a good game. But despite all the fub i have playing it, GW2 is far more complete then TSW, but then TSW is aiming at different people.

I know little of GW2 now so not a fanboy, I base my premise on GW2's popularity, such as preorders. I know a lot of TSW so feel like I can bash it as it is to short and repetitive for an MMO IMO.

As a matter of fact I usually poin to the positives in games, even though they are not for me. SWTOR, tera, rift, and others I have played and no longer play.

• JohnnymmoJohnnymmo Member Posts: 99

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus
    TSW is so bad the CEO left, it is short and boring after I beat most of it in closed beta. GW2 will own it. like I asked before,what is TSW's plan to keep players from bailing when GW2 releases or WoW's MoP releases? As it seems like TSW is dying already.

I know little of GW2 now so not a fanboy, I base my premise on GW2's popularity, such as preorders. I know a lot of TSW so feel like I can bash it as it is to short and repetitive for an MMO IMO.

As a matter of fact I usually pointat the positives in games, even though they are not for me.

Of course you do Tares. Pretty sad life you live when all you do is post negative posts concerning tsw.
  • JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

The guys and gals at Anet are very confident in their product. they're not scared of any possible competition out there. At least that's what they've been telling us. They're going to look at their own schedule and that's it.

imageimage
  • KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879
    Originally posted by VultureSkull

With what looks like a very good release of TSW would it not be wise for GW2 to postpond release until say end of September, that will give a full clear month after the free month you get with TSW.

Bearing in mind that GW2's main income will be from box sales they would want to maximize the opportunity and look for an ideal release time, so soon after the release of TSW could prove very damaging for the box sales.

With time a lot of players will get GW2 but releasing so soon after a good releasing AAA title can not help intended sales, they have waited this long another month cannot hurt.

I don't think the two games directly compete. The setting of TSW will keep willing players in. I expect it to settle somewhere above Rift numbers. If any, TSW will be the one affected, because there are people out there who plays the game as an interim while waiting for the next thing to come out.

• NanulakNanulak Member UncommonPosts: 372

You just want people to get 3 month sub in TSW so you wont be playing in a ghost town.

Nanulak

• EmeraqEmeraq Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

I'm not sure why they'd need to postpone because of TSW. In regards to the free month that will already be past by what? up to 24-25 days (depending on when folks bought TSW and started playing)...

Also keep in mind gamers that want multiple MMO's have subscribed to multiple MMO's in the past, and in this case with GW2 being B2P and no subscription, if it's a game they are interested in they will buy it, either now or a little bit later.

And if you are worried about servers, I don't believe TSW is going to make for empty GW2 servers. Just my opinions though.

• QuenchsterQuenchster Member Posts: 450

GW2 gots too much oomph for TSW to get in the way. What people could do if they don't have enough money is they could stop paying subscription for TSW for 4 months and just get GW2. After the 4 month period then they could play both if they have the time and feel like it.

• terrantterrant Member Posts: 1,683

People buy what they know, what's the most accessible, and don't always think about what's better. It's a sad truth.

I will agree with you on everything else though. I don't think TSW and GW2's subs will affect much. Also keep in mind, as has been said a million times, Anet literally does not care if you play another MMO. They got your 60, whatever else they get is gravy. They built a game with no sub, so you can actually play two MMOs and they'll be just fine. In a couple posts, they've all but encouraged it! 

While I think the game is far from perfect (but what is, besides Portal, raspberry fudge brownies, and my opinion?)  GW2 is well polished, what we've seen so far is a great start, and it's a thousand times better than some launches I've been a part of. As long as the other two races are ready for release and Anet works as dilligently as they have been, I'm satisfied. 

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

I think that GW2 is releasing perfectly. TSW has enough content for about a month. The game basically suffers from the same thing that SWTOR does: it's too story driven. After you're done with the story and the quests, there is really nothing else to do. I mean, you can do hardmode instances or replay the same missions all over again or do BGs but otherwise, you're pretty much done. There is also a persistant PvP zone but it's not really big and it's not really good, if I had to be honest.

August 28th launch is good because it gives people time to finish TSW's story and mission content.

• Poison_AdelePoison_Adele Member CommonPosts: 287

TSW is relatively unknown. I can bring up GW2 at the office and people know what I'm talking about, I've seen a few people with GW2 shirts, and there's an office GW2 guild.

TSW? Looks of confusion. 

Yeah, I don't think so...

• jeremyjodesjeremyjodes Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 679

My hope is that GW2 sucks all the Wow players into it. this would be for some great popcorn moments here and on the games forums, and it kills Wow just a little more.

Win Win for me.

Can't wait.

• RinkieRinkie Member Posts: 19

OMG - NO WoW People please.... My left eye ball is already wobbling and blinking uncontrolably over the mere thought!

Let them go to Warhammer online...