Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TSW and GW2 killing off WoW subscribers for sure

sagilsagil Member CommonPosts: 291

TSW is horror-based with puzzling quests and helpful community. 3 factions. Skill points instead of levels and classes, which make more class options.

GW2 is B2P and fantasy-based with dynamic events and looking at Arenanet's background they release a lot of expansions. PvP is also dynamic where you can destroy parts of a building, etc...

What does WoW have? An old engine that's not been upgraded to fit an evolving MMORPG genre. If only TSW and GW2 could merge, we would totally see what the MMORPG (themepark) next step evolution really is about. 

No wonder Vivendi wants to sell Blizzard. Blizzard really isn't a MMORPG company like Funcom and Arenanet, they are Jack of all Trades.

Comments

• L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065

They're killing off WoW subscribers?.. phew, thanks god I cancelled my sub after WotLK... :)

The one big thing WoW has, though, is people. With so many subscribers, you're bound to know someone (or several someones) that are playing and that you can play with if you subscribe. IMHO that (and the fact that the game is actually fun, also IMHO) is what keeps it active and healthy, people tend to play whatever game their friends are playing.

What can men do against such reckless hate?

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

The general WoW player never heard of TSW, and i would be highly surprised if they would like a game with the depth of TSW.

Today i talked to some of our employees about MMO´s... and they all (even is SWtor) skipped everything that only looked like a quest text or cutscene. They just loved the easy accessible games..

TSW is for the mature grwonup gamer, that wahts something ifferent. 

GW2 on the other hand will just feel like the perfect game to these WoW players... they are much more alike then people realise, GW2 is the seccond comming of WoW. (Where TSW steps further back to games like EQ and such)

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• WrenderWrender Member Posts: 1,386
    Originally posted by L0C0Man

They're killing off WoW subscribers?.. phew, thanks god I cancelled my sub after WotLK... :)

The one big thing WoW has, though, is people. With so many subscribers, you're bound to know someone (or several someones) that are playing and that you can play with if you subscribe. IMHO that (and the fact that the game is actually fun, also IMHO) is what keeps it active and healthy, people tend to play whatever game their friends are playing.

I haven't played WOW in about 3 yrs now. There is NO WAY that WoW could possibly still have that many subscribers. It's just not possible. The game was starting to turn into trash back then, that's why I stopped playing and haven't looked back. There is just no way! Outdated graphics, Blizz removed or destroyed almost everything that made WoW so great, it had stopped even feeling anything like an actual persistent world and was nothing more than a lobby game, only challenge left was dungeons, I can't stand playing an MMO in SOLO mode all the time. I mean C'mon people, you got to be kidding right? Hell almost everygame I have played SINCE WoW was better than what WoW had become.

• ZebladeZeblade Member UncommonPosts: 931

I believe (key word) one server on WOW has more players then TSW. TSW has instances.. SOOOOO many don't know this haha..

With any numbers to back up we are just tossing crap around. ALot of people don't like GW2.. thats not launched yet. TSW.. this will never be a hit. Only has 5 servers? OMG people are just flying in! hehe. Get alot of drops in TSW? Yeah buying new clothes wont get old. You wont be doing anything for armor. No new chest, legs and so forth. And just look at others weapons..hmmm why do they all look the same? A q2 hammer.. got 4-5 differnt types do they? Its a fun game but will never pull in people. The OPEN betas show'd us that. 

In open beta not one server did anyone have to wait to get in. There is something FUNCOM can not change now "COMBAT" this is the number one problem why people didnt like the game. And if you are playing now..this is all over the chat.

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156
    Originally posted by Zeblade

I believe (key word) one server on WOW has more players then TSW. TSW has instances.. SOOOOO many don't know this haha..

With any numbers to back up we are just tossing crap around. ALot of people don't like GW2.. thats not launched yet. TSW.. this will never be a hit. Only has 5 servers? OMG people are just flying in! hehe. Get alot of drops in TSW? Yeah buying new clothes wont get old. You wont be doing anything for armor. No new chest, legs and so forth. And just look at others weapons..hmmm why do they all look the same? A q2 hammer.. got 4-5 differnt types do they? Its a fun game but will never pull in people. The OPEN betas show'd us that. 

In open beta not one server did anyone have to wait to get in. There is something FUNCOM can not change now "COMBAT" this is the number one problem why people didnt like the game. And if you are playing now..this is all over the chat.

What the hell are you even talking about? Also, if you think GW2 will do anyting even close to as good as WOW, it's crazy.

On topic, is this thread serious? I mean serious serious? Did the OP pull the "x will wow" card? For the bajilion time, say it with me,

No mmorpg can kill World of Warcraft

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

TSW.. this will never be a hit. Only has 5 servers? OMG people are just flying in! hehe.

TSW doesnt officially launch until tomorrow - people playing now are early access

• sagilsagil Member CommonPosts: 291
    Originally posted by FredomSekerZ

What the hell are you even talking about? Also, if you think GW2 will do anyting even close to as good as WOW, it's crazy.

On topic, is this thread serious? I mean serious serious? Did the OP pull the "x will wow" card? For the bajilion time, say it with me,

It will die. Vivendi is selling Blizzard and the game will turn into an even crappier game than it is now. You're just stuck in stoneage and refuse to evolve. All of my buddies have uninstalled WoW. Playing games like LoL and Diablo 3 until GW2 comes out.

• BigCountryBigCountry Member Posts: 478

Aye, but neither will have pandas.....and run on 2001 IBM Thinkpads...

:D

D

BigCountry | Head Hunters | www.wefarmpeople.com

• RottsteinRottstein Member UncommonPosts: 66

What WOW has that none fo these other MMO's have and most likely will not ever have is China.  If you take China out of the equation WOW, while still the largest, isn't anywhere near the behemoth it seems.

I haven't played Rift since beta, but I do know more of the people I know who game are playing that then I know who are playing WOW.  I would be surprised if WOW was twice the size of Rift if you take away China.

• HurvartHurvart Member Posts: 565

Actually A-net wants to challenge WOW/Blizzard. And it appears they think they can do it. We will have to wait and see. But a lot of former WOW players doubt MoP will be very good. And if they try GW2 they will perhaps forget MoP...

I am not a big GW2 follower. But I think Blizzard should be really worried. I think GW2 could seriously hurt them. For the first time since WOW was released.

WOW cant last forever. Sooner or later some other game will be the new market leader. I dont think anyone can "kill " WOW. But WOW will not be number one forever.

• ZeroxinZeroxin Member UncommonPosts: 2,515
    Originally posted by BigCountry

Aye, but neither will have pandas.....and run on 2001 IBM Thinkpads...

D

Guild Wars 2 has armoured bears

This is not a game.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

What a game like GW2 can do is stop new WoW subscriptions.

Many people talk of the WoW subscriptions as if they are static or all long term - they aren't, new people keep replacing leavers.

Some (probably a large majority) of the people heavily invested in WoW will problably stay in it.

OFF Topic: How do you rate TSW Lord.Bachus?

I'm more than interested in it, although I dislike the business model - problem is I prefer playing with my GF (and she is quite into Stephen King books) but it is always a pain in the beggining since she doesn't like learning games (especially cause I go read stuff about the games). We already have GW2 copies. Is the game worth box+ maybe another month?

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180

WoW dips some every time a big MMO launches, then a few months later MOST of those players come back to their digital sugar momma.

It's a vicious cycle.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• tollboothtollbooth Member CommonPosts: 298

It would be better for the genre if everyone who played WoW stopped playing mmo's.

Originally posted by Hurvart

Actually A-net wants to challenge WOW/Blizzard. And it appears they think they can do it. We will have to wait and see. But a lot of former WOW players doubt MoP will be very good. And if they try GW2 they will perhaps forget MoP...

I am not a big GW2 follower. But I think Blizzard should be really worried. I think GW2 could seriously hurt them. For the first time since WOW was released.

WOW cant last forever. Sooner or later some other game will be the new market leader. I dont think anyone can "kill " WOW. But WOW will not be number one forever.

I know about Mike O'Brien stupid quote. He's just butthrut at Blizz and think that because he as a new shinny hyped game (not saying this in a negative way) he'll beat them. Fortunatly, the rest of Anet isn't like this. Honestly, i don't believe for 1 second GW2 will beat WOW. WOW is a game that is even known, not just to non mmo gamers, but too normal everyday people. GW2 popularity is in the mmo crowd and abit outside of it.

Also, who cares. The fact that both TSW and GW2 are not clones is double win for me. I don't give a damm about WOW.

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729

No game is really killing WoW, blizzard is.  I truely hope blizzard starts bleeding out, they are so clearly now all about quantity>quality and nobody of that kind deserves the money they get.    

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• BossalinieBossalinie Member UncommonPosts: 724
    Originally posted by tollbooth

It would be better for the genre if everyone who played WoW stopped playing mmo's.

For the 5 year in time, WoW didn't ruin your genre. If anything, it showed how below par MMO devs are

• CrunkJuice2CrunkJuice2 Member Posts: 568

"Blizzard really isn't a MMORPG company like Funcom and Arenanet, they are Jack of all Trades."

i wouldnt exactly call funcom a good mmo company.look at the disaster that was age of conan

Originally posted by bossalinie
    Originally posted by tollbooth

For the 5 year in time, WoW didn't ruin your genre. If anything, it showed how below par MMO devs are

wow didnt ruin the genre,its community did

oh and id rather flush 50 bucks down the toilet then play another game filled with the wow community

• Sandman24Sandman24 Member Posts: 47

My big question is who cares?  Not to be rude, but assuming your right (which is highly debatable), what difference does it make.  What is the point?

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192
    The people who like wow will play wow..

wow has trumped every game that has come out for nearly 10 years.You should just accept its success already and move on.
  • RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

Okay, so OP made a joke, now it's time for a reality check.

1. GW2 is B2P, no sub. Nearly all people who play a sub-MMO will keep their sub and just play the other game as well. That is the beauty of B2P.  So GW2 will do very well, but there's no reason a person won't keep their sub-based game.

2. TSW will flop. It's not like EVE with a sandbox type niche. You'll play through each faction (maybe), you'll do your puzzles and punch your zombies. Then three weeks later everyone will sit around with their gimply combat system and say the same thing people always say, "So . . . where's the end game?"  Anyone notice that SWTOR was a useless MMO after the storyline was finished? TSW will be no different.  A Themepark with no rides at the end.

3. MoP will come out and sell a boat load of units, WoW subs will sky rocket for 3-6 months before dropping off as people wait for more content.

4. Whiners will continue to hang out on forums complaining about WoW and chasing after every newly announced MMO as if it's the second coming.

Originally posted by Rusque

Okay, so OP made a joke, now it's time for a reality check.

1. GW2 is B2P, no sub. Nearly all people who play a sub-MMO will keep their sub and just play the other game as well. That is the beauty of B2P.  So GW2 will do very well, but there's no reason a person won't keep their sub-based game.

2. TSW will flop. It's not like EVE with a sandbox type niche. You'll play through each faction (maybe), you'll do your puzzles and punch your zombies. Then three weeks later everyone will sit around with their gimply combat system and say the same thing people always say, "So . . . where's the end game?"  Anyone notice that SWTOR was a useless MMO after the storyline was finished? TSW will be no different.  A Themepark with no rides at the end.

LOL. So, when after 3 months you get bored of GW2 and there's nothing left to do, players will jump in for 1 hour a month to do abit of pvp and leave. Yeah, that's a big difference from from other mmos with empty pve worlds and people sitting in town doing nothing.

• KanesterKanester Member UncommonPosts: 375
    Originally posted by Slampig
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

The general WoW player never heard of TSW, and i would be highly surprised if they would like a game with the depth of TSW.

Today i talked to some of our employees about MMO´s... and they all (even is SWtor) skipped everything that only looked like a quest text or cutscene. They just loved the easy accessible games..

TSW is for the mature grwonup gamer, that wahts something ifferent. 

GW2 on the other hand will just feel like the perfect game to these WoW players... they are much more alike then people realise, GW2 is the seccond comming of WoW. (Where TSW steps further back to games like EQ and such)

[mod edit]

Took the words right out of mouth. But im slightly younger at 30. ;)