Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Funcom CEO resigned one day before TSW launch

Comments

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990
    Originally posted by GrumpyMel2

Essentialy it's impossible for anyone outside of a company (or thier inner circle) to divine the real meaning behind a move like this....

I certainly have witnessed first hand "Taken on a new role with the company" style verbage as corporate speak for "This guys a train wreck but it's too difficult/expensive for us to get rid of him altogether so we're going to move him somewhere where hopefully he'll do less damage."  I've also seen it used for  "This guys an ACE, we need to focus his talents here".... and for "This guy really wanted to do something else, and this was the only way we could keep some sort of relationship with him".... and everything else in between.

Honestly, there is no way anyone can really translate these sort of statement with any accuracy unless they have acess to some inside knowledge. The only thing that can be safely assumed....and this goes for probably 90% of the companies out there..... any relationship between the reasoning given in a company press release for such moves and the actual reasoning is purely coincidental.

For a CEO though? Can't say I've ever seen it done for that . Lower positions of course for a multitude of reasons. But normally with Officer positions if it isn't working then they have them removed or push them out. Of course anything is possible and I'm not in the company so this is all pure speculation. Which is kind of the point in the first place... 

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• tarestares Member Posts: 381
    Originally posted by Kost
    Originally posted by tares

TSW has just as many, if not more, players right now during early access than AoC did.

Not even close to age of conan yet. The game has a day before launch though. Age of conan was 900,000 boxes, #4 on xfire, the forums had 3 times as many threads and posts the day of launch as TSW forums have today.

[mod edit]

• ArkainArkain Member UncommonPosts: 491

I am assuming they are related but here is the "official" story http://www.funcom.com/investors/funcom_n.v._announces_ole_schreiner_as_new_ceo_for_the_company

Logic tells me something must be wrong with the launch. When AoC launched the lead developer "resigned" just after launch and then the CFO "resigned" right after reporting 33 million in losses.

"Resigned" being used by Funcom is a lot like "inconcievable" in the princess bride http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2y8Sx4B2Sk

If you read, it seems he wanted to go out on top and take a lighter job. Good for him, way to go.

"After serving as Funcom CEO for several years and having successfully shipped two of the company's most important titles - 'Age of Conan' and 'The Secret World' - Mr. Aas has decided to take on a freer role as Strategic Advisor. Mr. Aas will also serve as Chief Strategy Officer. Among other projects Mr. Aas will be working actively with the recently announced LEGO MMO developed by Funcom."

• BlackndBlacknd Member Posts: 600

This is such a blatant stretch, even for you tares.

.. But in a good way.

• highflyinghighflying Member Posts: 22

There's been talk of this for several months, and he didn't resign 1 day before the launch, the launch was on friday.

Everythingwhentbetterthanexpected.jpg, and the only thing funcom might have to do tomorrow, is fire up an extra server or two.

This means absolutely nothing, and for the record Trond Arne Aas has never been a good ceo, he sold a lot of his shares 2 months ago, pretty much fucking over every investor, and he's got a lot of shit for doing that, which I think might've something to do with him quitting as fast as he could.

• GargolaGargola Member Posts: 356

Some people just like to troll anything they see as a "rival" game, or cause they are spiteful towards a company.

AoC issues claimed the head of Gaute... yes, however, there are quite a few things that are completley different here.

A: Gaute was no member of the board of directors... he was Game director for AoC, he was the direct responsible for AoC, Board Directors are in charge of the company decisions, not really in charge of game development, at all.

If this is due to some actions that they didn't like of the previous CEO it porbably has to do with how he traded some shares some months ago, but if there was really bad vibe towards him, he would have been ejected from the company.  This sounds like the guy (who still owns a LOT of shares) probably wanted a less demanding job.

I wouldn't be surprised if he suddenly becomes member of another directive board for another company, as i've seen similar moves done by exects before, in order to allocate time for multiple management positions, having about the same actual workload but much higher added income.

Originally posted by highflying

There's been talk of this for several months, and he didn't resign 1 day before the launch, the launch was on friday.

I tried to positive spit it and claim the launch is tommorow. Maybe the population will go up 4 fold tomorrow and everything will go well.   If launch was friday it didn't do so well.

TBH I hope more MMOs come out with modern or future settings. It is popular, look at COD:Modern warfare an FPS that has an MMORPG leveling system.

I'm playing vampire masquerade as my RPG right now which is modern, and spending most my time in games I fly out to a tourny in 3 days for and expect to get WTF pawned in ( guess the tourny?). so I'm not a fan or hater, I just want to know why?

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301
    Originally posted by paidgtfo

Resigning any position at the launch of a major product is worrying regardless of what industry, there really is no other way to slice it.

Ask yourself : If you were the boss of a company that was launching a product you loved, would you resign on the eve of its release?

While it doesnt spell total doom for TSW, something obviously went down at Funcom that he didnt like/didnt want his name stamped on it as the #1 guy responsible.

Maybe is becouse of the cash shop?

• RightlovRightlov Member Posts: 72
    .. tried to positive spit it and claim the launch is tommorow. Maybe the population will go up 4 fold tomorrow and everything will go well.   If launch was friday it didn't do so well.

Of course the population won't go up fourfold tomorrow.

But considering that you claim yourself very knowledgeable about mmorpgs, and that you want to be able to invest based on your mmorpg knowledge in the future, I'm quite surprised that you haven't gathered more information, regarding pre-order sales and post-launch sales.

The newest example is Tera Online. They used the exact same Early access concept as TSW does now. They tripled their numbers from the days of early access to five days after launch. In their Early access period, almost the only people that were playing was the one that had pre-ordered it. There was almost zeró new people joining the game in that period. But after the launch though, people joined the game in an rapidly increasing haste the first five days.

• MMOarQQMMOarQQ Member Posts: 636

Maybe he was diagnosed with colon cancer. Quit ASSuming the worst.

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

If launch was friday it didn't do so well.

Based on what?

The servers are packed, pvp is plentiful all hours of the day, finding groups is exceptionally easy and more new people are flooding in every hour. No real performance issues of note, great network stability, and excellent customer service response times.

Seems like a win to me.

• JohnnymmoJohnnymmo Member Posts: 99
    Actually stepping down now actually says that he has been successfully. His creative mind also stays so thats a great asset. And lastly if this was a bad thing then why would funcom stock rise 10% after the announcement. Nice try OP ;)
  • Sameer1979Sameer1979 Member Posts: 362
    Originally posted by highflying

I tried to positive spit it and claim the launch is tommorow. Maybe the population will go up 4 fold tomorrow and everything will go well.   If launch was friday it didn't do so well.

TBH I hope more MMOs come out with modern or future settings. It is popular, look at COD:Modern warfare an FPS that has an MMORPG leveling system.

I'm playing vampire masquerade as my RPG right now which is modern, and spending most my time in games I fly out to a tourny in 3 days for and expect to get WTF pawned in ( guess the tourny?). so I'm not a fan or hater, I just want to know why?

After my experince with SWTOR i really don't care for large numbers anymore. I would rather have a small and stable community like TSW has right now. The game launched without any major game breaking issues, if that is not a good launch then what is?

ANothe sad attempy by GW2 fan to desperately put TSW under bad light.

• rawfoxrawfox Member UncommonPosts: 788

... what a misleading thread title ...

Originally posted by Rightlov
    .. tried to positive spit it and claim the launch is tommorow. Maybe the population will go up 4 fold tomorrow and everything will go well.   If launch was friday it didn't do so well.

But considering that you claim yourself very knowledgeable about mmorpgs, and that you want to be able to invest based on your mmorpg knowledge in the future, I'm quite surprised that you haven't gathered more information, regarding pre-order sales and post-launch sales.

The newest example is Tera Online. They used the exact same Early access concept as TSW does now. They tripled their numbers from the days of early access to five days after launch. In their Early access period, almost the only people that were playing was the one that had pre-ordered it. There was almost zeró new people joining the game in that period. But after the launch though, people joined the game in an rapidly increasing haste the first five days.

I bought Tera almost a week after (EDIT:official) launch.

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    Originally posted by The_Gekko

I know that while playing TSW, its important to look for things that may not be there at first.

However this is RL, and I think its ok to give this one a break, no?

^this.

if there is a catastrophic incoming FAIL for TSW it's not showing up in the preorder early access.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• RightlovRightlov Member Posts: 72
    Originally posted by Rightlov

I bought Tera almost a week after (EDIT:official) launch.

That was a somewhat unexpected reply. Well, but that just makes you a clear example as well; a lot of people wait till a few days after launch, before they purchase a mmo.

Based on what?

Age of conan was #4 and TSW is #25 on Xfire, age of conan had 3x the forum post and trafic as TSW. Age of conan claimed to sell 900,000 boxes. TSW wished to sell 1.25 million.

If launch didn't own age of canan's then that is my base.

• xSaintxxSaintx Member UncommonPosts: 75

Originally posted by Rednecksith
    Originally posted by Sovrath Originally posted by tares Originally posted by FredomSekerZ "Trond Arne Aas, long term CEO of Funcom N.V., takes on new role as Strategic Advisor to the Board and Chief Strategy Officer"   "Funcom N.V. (Funcom) announced today that the Supervisory Board of Funcom has nominated Ole Schreiner as the new CEO of Funcom and as a new member of the Management Board of Funcom. Ole Schreiner comes from the position of COO of the Company, a role he has held with great success for several years."   Fail troll attempt.
    So he goes from the number one guy to the number 7 guy.   He has a large number of stocks and something else keeping him employeed there but he got bounced. Would your bosses' boss take your job?
    It indicates he is taking on a "new role". It's possible that they needed this "new role" or that he saw a chance to do something that more closely alligned with his skillset/interests.
    Or maybe he simply got tired of the (most likely) incredible stress of running a company like Funcom. Or maybe he wanted a lesser workload so he could spend more time with friends & family. There's plenty of reasons a CEO would step down other than, "OMG CATASTROPHIC FAILURE INCOMING!!!"

Yep, I agree. Considering the early launch, I'd say it has gone smoother than a ton of other MMOs and the quality of TSW is up there in the ranks. I like it a ton and I was expecting another failure from Funcom. I'm glad I was wrong.

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178

Based on what?

Age of conan was #4 and TSW is #25 on Xfire, age of conan had 3x the forum post and trafic as TSW. Age of conan claimed to sell 900,000 boxes. TSW wished to sell 1.25 million.

Age of Conan was #4 on Xfire 2 month after launch (atleast that is what Xfire is telling me, can not see old stats on Xfire?). I would also think that a better launch would reduce the number of threads on a forum a lot. There simply is not as much to complain about as with AoC so you might assume there might be less threads. People often only tend to go to forum to complain.

Not saying your wrong. I am sure that after AoC a lot of people are sceptic about FC and the initial sales might be lower then that of AoC. I simply do not accept your proof as well proof of this.

• InFlamestwoInFlamestwo Member Posts: 662

He resigned his title as CEO and chosed another path within the company.

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

This has got to take the cake for dumbest thread about TSW yet.

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

Based on what?

(1) Xfire is not a reliable data source for determining popularity in any way, shape or form. The only data it provides the end user with, is data provided by other Xfire users. Highly skewed.

(2) Forum traffic being lower is an indicator that players have less to complain about, and as a result, are spending more time playing the game than they are making forum threads. A large part of this can also be attributed to the plethora of issues AoC had at launch, which caused an uproar among the playerbase.

(3) We haven't seen numbers yet for TSW sales, so you're definitely passing judgment prematurely on that aspect.

Insert another coin and try again.

Based on what?

(1) Xfire is not a reliable data source for determining popularity in any way, shape or form. The only data it provides the end user with, is data provided by other Xfire users. Highly skewed.

(2) Forum traffic being lower is an indicator that players have less to complain about, and as a result, are spending more time playing the game than they are making forum threads. A large part of this can also be attributed to the plethora of issues AoC had at launch, which caused an uproar among the playerbase.

(3) We haven't seen numbers yet for TSW sales, so you're definitely passing judgment prematurely on that aspect.

Insert another coin and try again.

If TSW doesn't hit top 5 on xfire is is 100% true that it didn't sell 1 million. Xfire is more right on than many think, look at the top games and then the top MMOs on x fire, they are in order. I said forum traffic pre launch! Most of the age of conan post were about PvP, combat, or whatever...few about issues as was pre release.

To rebuttle another post, age of conan was #4 the first week only, after that it fell rapidly to 40 then a few month after FTP it fell much lower to where it is now.

• AwDiddumsAwDiddums Member UncommonPosts: 416
    Originally posted by FredomSekerZ

"Trond Arne Aas, long term CEO of Funcom N.V., takes on new role as Strategic Advisor to the Board and Chief Strategy Officer"

"Funcom N.V. (Funcom) announced today that the Supervisory Board of Funcom has nominated Ole Schreiner as the new CEO of Funcom and as a new member of the Management Board of Funcom. Ole Schreiner comes from the position of COO of the Company, a role he has held with great success for several years."

[mod edit]

So he goes from the number one guy to the number 7 guy.   He has a large number of stocks and something else keeping him employeed there but he got bounced. If gaute or the old CFO or many of the employees that got bounced after age of conan had millions of shares they wouldn't have to leave either.

Would your bosses' boss take your job?

And you had him go from Number 1 position to not even being with Funcom!

This discussion has been closed.