Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should GW2 release be postponed?

Comments

• megera23megera23 Member UncommonPosts: 239
    Originally posted by Doggett

I wonder why people see GW2 as so much better than TSW. I'm not saying TSW is great, but neither is GW2. Combat felt just as disconnected in GW2 as it does in TSW for me. 

Haven't played in the last few beta events though so it might have improved, but GW2 is far from the second coming everyone seems to be believing it is.

It's not about the game being perfect, it's about a game offering us what we're looking for. And currently GW2 is the closest to what I (and obviously many others) want from a MMORPG.

As far as combat is concerned, maybe you should check it out again. My friend who didn't enjoy himself during the first BWE, because of stuff like ability delay etc says that there were huge improvements between the two beta weekends. They also added other stuff like your camera shaking when you get knocked etc. Dunno if this will improve the experience for you. I personally didn't notice any of the issues or the improvements, lol.

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by Serelisk
    Originally posted by FredomSekerZ
    Originally posted by VassagoMael
    Originally posted by likwidsage

I don't think people realize what a behemoth the GW2 release has become. Possibly the most *anticipated* MMO ever. Now whether that turns dream turn to reality is an other question. However, by the looks of the beta tests, previews and beta reviews, it seems that there is some truth to the hype. I doubt TSW will any effect on GW2 on release day at all.

Yet, Pandaria will almost certanly sell more. Weird huh.

On topic, 2 completly different games. This idea that 1 games affects the others gets tossed around alot and i have yet to see it happening. SWTOR didn't affect Rift. TERA didn't affect SWTOR. TSW didn't affect TERA. And i'm certain GW2 won't affect TSW.

No need to postone anything. The game's good. it will do well, just like TSW and all others. (expect TOR for obvious reasons): Is this thread a troll threads? Seems like it.

Panda Ria is an expansion, not an MMO.

So?

GW2- "Hey WOW"

WOWMOP- "Who are you again?"

GW2- "The one who's going to beat you"

*WOWMOP points to GW1, LOTRO, DDO, WAR, AOC, AION, RIFT, SWTOR, etc*

GW2- *Gulp* "Run away"

WOWMOP- "Yeah, that's what i figured"

EDIT: WOWMOP- "Get off my lawn, you damm whippersnapper. Back in my day, we didn't have all this you new mmorgps have. Damm kids"

You wrote this as if Guild Wars 1 wasn't successful. With a small budget, minimal advertising/word of mouth, and an unknown company, GW1 sold a million copies in only 5 months way back in 2005 which was during WoW's rise to the throne.

GW2 - "The one who's going to beat you"

WOWMOP - *points to failed WoW killers*

GW2 - "Ask me if I care."

WOWMOP - "...Do you c-"

GW2 - "NO!"

Are you implying that they don't care about beating WoW or are you implying that they don't care about other games that have failed to beat WoW?

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

I'm enjoying TSW, but I'm already a third of the way through the third zone and there are only eight zones in the game. There is no replay value, as there is no redundancy of content and the story is what make's it worth playing. I think most people will be "done" with TSW well before the release of GW2, so this poll doesn't have much worth.

Besides, WoW:MoP is the infinitely bigger potential "spoiler" for GW2. If it were up to me, I'd launch GW2 a little earlier, to try to make it even harder for Blizzard to push MoP out near the GW2 release window.

TSW is a non-factor. (Funcom should be thanking Arenanet for making the release date announcement when they did, it freed up a lot of people to buy TSW).

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131

I wonder why people see GW2 as so much better than TSW. I'm not saying TSW is great, but neither is GW2. Combat felt just as disconnected in GW2 as it does in TSW for me. 

Haven't played in the last few beta events though so it might have improved, but GW2 is far from the second coming everyone seems to be believing it is.

Wait wasn't D3 the second comming ?...noway GW2 or TSW could match the the great combat feel from D3

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,353
    Originally posted by VultureSkull

With what looks like a very good release of TSW would it not be wise for GW2 to postpond release until say end of September, that will give a full clear month after the free month you get with TSW.

You do realize that you'll still be able to buy GW2 a month after launch day, don't you?

• Artair83Artair83 Member UncommonPosts: 48
    Originally posted by SlickShoes

TSW is perfectly positioned to be played for a month or two and then dropped for another game or until they release more content to quest through.

GW2 release date is fine.

This, as a closed beta tester with no NDA left now I have to say I think the game needs more content. I actually like TSW despite it's bugs and issues, and if it was a buy to play or f2p title I'd be all over it. However, I think between the double dipper subscription scheme (sub+cash shop) plus the box buy and the shallow amount of content at present, I sadly think a lot of it's community is going to die as fast as it's created.

While it does have issues, it's a very unique setting, and finally something in a modern world that isn't just a super hero title. It also has great story content and voice acting and full cutscenes for many quests. It's a very well made game. I also really enjoyed the classless leveless system too. While I do really like quality over quantity in many cases and I think quality is something a lot of games lack these days, the balance in TSW is currently off. Yes yes, many bugs blah blah, but the high quality quests have made it so there aren't that many. I played beta for about a month and was to the last zone, there's about eight I think. This just worries me for the future and makes me wonder how fast they can pump out new content since they need voice actors and the like. 

I really enjoyed beta and thank Funcom immensely for the chance to test it, they've gotten many bug reports from me and I hope it helps them improve the game. I'm just worried about it's continunity. I'd like to play it and GW2, but I just can't justify the cost at all. I think GW2 has more than enough community and hype though and TSW has a slightly different audience to some degree so I think it'll be in it's own niche. Go ahead with GW2's launch I say.

• WolvardsWolvards Member Posts: 650

I just have one thing to say to that last part... This part just hits a nerve for some reason...

I've been lurking these forums over the last year about, and following GW2 pretty moderately...

Only on these forums, I tend to be a one site kind of guy....

But the only people that i've read that refer GW2 to the second coming of Jesus Christ, are the people who don't like the game. Sure I know it could have happened, and it probably has, but if it did it isn't like it's in every thread, heck i honestly havent even seen anyone refer the game to Jesus except about 3-4 times, each time from haters (except this time, I don't know if you hate GW2 or just genuinely don't like it).

I guess what i'm saying is this... Knock it the frick off with the second coming of Jesus Christ crap. You only make yourself sound stupid and ignorant. If you've seen someone post it as a fanboi so be it, then it's a trolling fanboi, but that doesn't mean it justifies you using the same exact thing, because when you read his post, and you thought it was out-rageous, or stupid, or immature, or anything (maybe you liked it?), it's the exact same thing i'm seeing with yours.

And for the topic, the thread title is a little schewed. I thought it was going to be like zomg ANet might postpone it!, not do we think they should because of another game...

But heck no they shouldn't.

The "Youtube Pro": Someone who watches video's on said subject, and obviously has a full understanding of what is being said about such subject.

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan

TSW must really be a good game anyway if its players/fans/defenders spend more time posting here in the GW2 forum than playing it...

Most people actually are. I'm here because i don't by games at launch. Ever. Also, i post on GW2 foums because i like the game and mmos. I even stated on my first post this thread seemed trollish. I think fanbases going at each other is pretty stupid actually. My commments are regarding MOP and GW2 mostly, not even TSW.

• MalevilMalevil Member Posts: 468
    Originally posted by Nefera
    Originally posted by CrunkJuice2

" Mike O'Brien believes GW2 will be a "wow killer/beater""

oh god here we go,another swtor incoming

i guess maybe the developers who make these games arent really any smarter then the idiots who play them

"Nothing is going to kill WoW other than WoW."

- Mike O'Brien

Source: http://www.forbes.com/sites/johngaudiosi/2012/04/23/arenanet-founder-mike-obrien-will-be-satisfied-when-guild-wars-2-is-the-most-successful-mmo-period/

You people should stop taking my posts out context. I said, and quote myself:

Finally, "wow killer" doesn't exist, because you can't kill anoter game, just beat it. WOW beat EQ2, but not kill. And in case you missed the memo, Mike O'Brien believes GW2 will be a "wow killer/beater"

And now, i'll take from that link too:

"We're in it to win it this time,” said O’Brien. “We were number two to World of Warcraft with Guild Wars, now we want to beat them. We’ll be satisfied when the Guild Wars 2 is the most successful MMO"

Nobody plain says "We're going to kill WOW". But this is probably the closest it can get. Whatever anyway. If i'm not mistaken, O'Brien left Blizzard and formed Anet. Now he thinks ihe's big enough to start talking stupid, and wants to beat is former company. Fortunaly, he doesn't reprsent the whole of ANet.

He does represent whole company and there is nothing wrong trying to be the best. Whats stupid in saying that they want to beat WoW and become number one  ? Stupid is to be satisfied with second place, thats loosers attitude .

• ValkaernValkaern Member UncommonPosts: 497

I really can't imagine TSW having any impact whatsoever on GW2, and certainly not even close to requiring them to change their release date.

While I'm sure TSW will have a dedicated player base, it's hardly a behemoth that needs to be reckoned with in any way.

Originally posted by Malevil

" Mike O'Brien believes GW2 will be a "wow killer/beater""

oh god here we go,another swtor incoming

i guess maybe the developers who make these games arent really any smarter then the idiots who play them

"Nothing is going to kill WoW other than WoW."

- Mike O'Brien

Source: http://www.forbes.com/sites/johngaudiosi/2012/04/23/arenanet-founder-mike-obrien-will-be-satisfied-when-guild-wars-2-is-the-most-successful-mmo-period/

You people should stop taking my posts out context. I said, and quote myself:

Finally, "wow killer" doesn't exist, because you can't kill anoter game, just beat it. WOW beat EQ2, but not kill. And in case you missed the memo, Mike O'Brien believes GW2 will be a "wow killer/beater"

And now, i'll take from that link too:

"We're in it to win it this time,” said O’Brien. “We were number two to World of Warcraft with Guild Wars, now we want to beat them. We’ll be satisfied when the Guild Wars 2 is the most successful MMO"

Nobody plain says "We're going to kill WOW". But this is probably the closest it can get. Whatever anyway. If i'm not mistaken, O'Brien left Blizzard and formed Anet. Now he thinks ihe's big enough to start talking stupid, and wants to beat is former company. Fortunaly, he doesn't reprsent the whole of ANet.

He does represent whole company and there is nothing wrong trying to be the best. Whats stupid in saying that they want to beat WoW and become number one  ? Stupid is to be satisfied with second place, thats loosers attitude .

Because an alternative standpoint is to try to make a great game that is also economically successful; a standpoint which I believe is more accepted than the "Let's try to beat WoW". 

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156
    Originally posted by Malevil

I know. Fortunatly, most devs just sit down and try to take care of the game while the higher ups do the talking. Like i said, O'Brien's probably just mad that he left Blizz and now think tat just because he as a new hyped game (not saying it in a bad way) it can "trash talk" Blizzard.

On topic, IMHO, i think ANet and FC need to worry more about themselves than each other. Both games are themeparks which, like every seingle one of them, in the first 2-3 (max) months, players will consume all the content and start to get bored. I believe that this is where Rift succeded. Fast updates allow it to remain profitable and community happy.

No content means nothing to do which means less pop which means less moeny spent on cash shops (and sub for TSW). B2P or P2P, devs need players. I say that if both want their games to be ok, they better shut up and start pushing it after release. One affecting the other means 0 in the first 2 months compared to 6-8 months down the line.

Personally, i don't care. I don't see any longevity in either game after said amount of time, but the content is unique enough to the cost. Anything beyond release is a bonus to me. But again, this is about the companies.

• SeariasSearias Member UncommonPosts: 743

They really don't have to delay the game anymore, I bet the majority of the people have already bought the game.

<InvalidTag type="text/javascript" src="http://www.gamebreaker.tv/cce/e.js"></script><div class="cce_pane" content-slug="which-world-of-warcraft-villain-are-you" ctype="quiz" d="http://www.gamebreaker.tv"></div>;

• neuronomadneuronomad Member Posts: 1,276

No offense by this is a stupid question.  There is no reason for ArenaNet to even have a fraction of concern about TSW.

--------------------------------
    Currently Playing: Guild Wars 2 and Path of Exile

Quit: Eden Eternal, Wakfu, DDO, STO, DCUO, Sword 2, Atlantica Online, LOTRO, SWTOR, RIFT, Earthrise, FFXIV, RoM, Allods Online, GA,WAR,CO,V:SoH,POTBS,TR,COH/COV, WOW, DDO,AL, EQ, Eve, L2, AA, Mx0, SWG, SoR, AO, RFO, DAoC, and others.
    www.twitter.com/mlwhitt
    www.michaelwhitt.com

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by VultureSkull

With what looks like a very good release of TSW would it not be wise for GW2 to postpond release until say end of September, that will give a full clear month after the free month you get with TSW.

GW2 is releasing 2 months after TSW  (8 weeks) - I see no issue

TSW early access 06/29

GW2 early access 8/25

• xalvixalvi Member Posts: 329

TBH, i didn't bother reading anything on this thread all i saw was "Should GW2 postpone the release date"  and i just clicked no lol. I dont think my body can handle waiting any longer than August 28.

Originally posted by Dawnstar

I don't think people realize what a behemoth the GW2 release has become. Possibly the most *anticipated* MMO ever. Now whether that turns dream turn to reality is an other question. However, by the looks of the beta tests, previews and beta reviews, it seems that there is some truth to the hype. I doubt TSW will any effect on GW2 on release day at all.

On topic, 2 completly different games. This idea that 1 games affects the others gets tossed around alot and i have yet to see it happening. SWTOR didn't affect Rift. TERA didn't affect SWTOR. TSW didn't affect TERA. And i'm certain GW2 won't affect TSW.

No need to postone anything. The game's good. it will do well, just like TSW and all others. (expect TOR for obvious reasons): Is this thread a troll threads? Seems like it.

So?

GW2- "Hey WOW"

GW2- *Gulp* "Run away"

EDIT: WOWMOP- "Get off my lawn, you damm whippersnapper. Back in my day, we didn't have all this you new mmorgps have. Damm kids"

You wrote this as if Guild Wars 1 wasn't successful. With a small budget, minimal advertising/word of mouth, and an unknown company, GW1 sold a million copies in only 5 months way back in 2005 which was during WoW's rise to the throne.

WOWMOP - "...Do you c-"

GW2 - "NO!"

You wrote this as if the other mmos wheren't sucessful.

LOTRO and DDO have shown great profit and are still updating with expansions.

WAR, SWTOR and AOC, well, yeah, fair enough

AION is the 2nd or 3rd biggest mmo in the planet, beyong WOW and maybe Lineage

Finally, Rift was a full blown mmorpg (not a co-op game) made by Trion as their very first game, and 1 of the most polished. Also, while having less than 500k subs, it's been very sucessfull. Enough so, to have a full expansion 1 year after and finace 2 other mmos. All in 1 year.

GW1 was, and is to this day, a very different game. B2P instead of P2P, co-op instead of mmo, and great pvp focus instead of pve. The exact oposite of normal mmorgps.

Also, the game was launched 2005, with no competion beyong the already made WOW. Same happened in 2006. But in 2007, it was the first expansion that forced players to have the original game instead of stand alone. It was also the year of LOTRO and Vanguard, and possilbe AOC.

Oh, and no. I'm not hating on GW1 since i think it's an awesome, originala nd unique game.

Source please?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/johngaudiosi/2012/04/23/arenanet-founder-mike-obrien-will-be-satisfied-when-guild-wars-2-is-the-most-successful-mmo-period/ is one source saying something similar. 

• xalvixalvi Member Posts: 329
    Originally posted by TwoThreeFour
    Originally posted by Dawnstar

So?

GW2- "Hey WOW"

GW2- *Gulp* "Run away"

WOWMOP - "...Do you c-"

GW2 - "NO!"

You wrote this as if the other mmos wheren't sucessful.

LOTRO and DDO have shown great profit and are still updating with expansions.

WAR, SWTOR and AOC, well, yeah, fair enough

AION is the 2nd or 3rd biggest mmo in the planet, beyong WOW and maybe Lineage

Finally, Rift was a full blown mmorpg (not a co-op game) made by Trion as their very first game, and 1 of the most polished. Also, while having less than 500k subs, it's been very sucessfull. Enough so, to have a full expansion 1 year after and finace 2 other mmos. All in 1 year.

GW1 was, and is to this day, a very different game. B2P instead of P2P, co-op instead of mmo, and great pvp focus instead of pve. The exact oposite of normal mmorgps.

Also, the game was launched 2005, with no competion beyong the already made WOW. Same happened in 2006. But in 2007, it was the first expansion that forced players to have the original game instead of stand alone. It was also the year of LOTRO and Vanguard, and possilbe AOC.

Oh, and no. I'm not hating on GW1 since i think it's an awesome, originala nd unique game.

Source please?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/johngaudiosi/2012/04/23/arenanet-founder-mike-obrien-will-be-satisfied-when-guild-wars-2-is-the-most-successful-mmo-period/ is one source saying something similar. 

It's written on the internet, it must be true.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Having fun playing TSW but still looking forward to GW2, these games are fundamentally different, they aim to deliver a different kind of entertainment.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188

With the average age of a gamer perceived to be what it is; it it would also be logical to think that they could have such disposable income to purchase both games seeing as they are nearly 2 months apart.

• KetillKetill Member Posts: 19

Unless the game is not finished, I think have more to lose from delaying than competing against TSW. If they wait too long they could end up against MoP and the glut of holiday console game releases. Also, from my experience in TSW beta, unless that game has a ton of extra content that devs were holding back, many players will be "done" with most of the content by the time GW2 hits.

• ZebladeZeblade Member UncommonPosts: 931

lets see "very good release of TSW " heres someone that does not play TSW. Do you know how many bugs gets talking about in chat? Is it just ONE quest not working? Truth is the mmo has a CASH shop with items you can never get ingame. There is only what 5 servers I think. What bothers me is when Funcom asks for lifetime subs. I have not seen in forums nor INGAME where people go on and on believing this MMO people will be subbing for a few years

This is Funcom. Something wrong ingame.. you have no clue if they know about it.. are working on it. Anyway if you did a lifetime.. you just gave them your money away. TSW has nothing to keep you playing. Why play? For puzzle quests? Or for the loot you never get? You just get money to buy clothes and so far from what I can see everyone with a Q1 and up look the same. 

I mean people are buying things as if TSW was F2P. Don't even try to say "WOW has a Cash Shop". Ok go look at WOW's then look at TSW then remember TSW is not even launched yet and WOW never had one for how long?

Just pay for something thats worth it. Man ..EXPLECT something for your money. Like a new Game comes out and 3 new DLC's at the same time. Things that just were not put in the game because they NEW people would PAY extra to get it. People are sheep.

GuildWars 2 could have been launhed months ago. TSW.. should have been launched OCT-NOV.

• tarestares Member Posts: 381

TSW is so bad the CEO left, it is short and boring after I beat most of it in closed beta. GW2 will own it.

like I asked before,what is TSW's plan to keep players from bailing when GW2 releases or WoW's MoP releases? As it seems like TSW is dying already.

• DoggettDoggett Member Posts: 39

But the only people that i've read that refer GW2 to the second coming of Jesus Christ, are the people who don't like the game. Sure I know it could have happened, and it probably has, but if it did it isn't like it's in every thread, heck i honestly havent even seen anyone refer the game to Jesus except about 3-4 times, each time from haters (except this time, I don't know if you hate GW2 or just genuinely don't like it).

I probably gave off the wrong impression by putting it like that, i'm not saying I dislike the game. I'm rather neutral to it, already bought it so will probably spent some time on it when it's released. I'm just saying from what i've played it doesn't feel special in any way. No more than a TSW or a TERA or even a D3, and of course nobody actually said it was the second coming except when used in a negative way because it would be silly to name it that in a positive way (not sure if that made sense ;)

There are however plenty of people saying it's almost impossible not to like the game, which is what I was getting at. It does do some things differently, but nothing extreme and nothing to the point it's way above anything else. 

But like I said, I will play it myself, the only real issue I had with the earlier events was the performance issues I was having. But I heard from some friends that that has been solved mostly.

• FinitFinit Member Posts: 145
    Originally posted by tares

TSW is so bad the CEO left, it is short and boring after I beat most of it in closed beta. GW2 will own it.

like I asked before,what is TSW's plan to keep players from bailing when GW2 releases or WoW's MoP releases? As it seems like TSW is dying already.

Oh God please no...He's not one of us I swear.  Guild Wars 2 is a very good game, but why does that entitle you to bash every other game that releases?

My Guild Wars 2 Blog can be found here: Divinity's Reach