Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should GW2 release be postponed?

VultureSkullVultureSkull Member UncommonPosts: 1,774

With what looks like a very good release of TSW would it not be wise for GW2 to postpond release until say end of September, that will give a full clear month after the free month you get with TSW.

Bearing in mind that GW2's main income will be from box sales they would want to maximize the opportunity and look for an ideal release time, so soon after the release of TSW could prove very damaging for the box sales.

With time a lot of players will get GW2 but releasing so soon after a good releasing AAA title can not help intended sales, they have waited this long another month cannot hurt.

Comments

• seridanseridan Member UncommonPosts: 1,202

No reason to delay any further.

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

• likwidsagelikwidsage Member UncommonPosts: 90

I don't think people realize what a behemoth the GW2 release has become. Possibly the most *anticipated* MMO ever. Now whether that turns dream turn to reality is an other question. However, by the looks of the beta tests, previews and beta reviews, it seems that there is some truth to the hype. I doubt TSW will any effect on GW2 on release day at all.

• megera23megera23 Member UncommonPosts: 239

I'll bite. Chances are that TSW will suffer more because of GW2, than the other way around. Anyway, I don't personally care about TSW at all, so nope, no reason to postpone anything.

• dreldrel Member Posts: 918
    Huh? No delay!
  • BrialynBrialyn Member Posts: 184

Speaking for the crowd that has already given Arenanet their money by pre-purchasing, I hope they don't postpone it! 

Besides it isn't like ever gamer out there is forced with oh should I play TSW or GW2 this month?  Some of us have the money to buy both, some of us only want to buy one of the two.  TSW is a completely different genre from GW2 and I myself don't particulary care for it.  I'm not saying it's a bad game, I wouldn't know I've not played it, but thats the thing, I don't want to.  I personally think that GW2 will do just fine releasing so soon after TSW. 

Obviously this is my opinion though =P it isn't like I'm some super marketing guru or something. 

Currently Playing: FFXIV:ARR
    Looking Forward to: Wildstar
  • SlickShoesSlickShoes Member UncommonPosts: 1,019

TSW is perfectly positioned to be played for a month or two and then dropped for another game or until they release more content to quest through.

GW2 release date is fine.

• antshock35antshock35 Member Posts: 114

If they delay any futher I think some fans heads will explode ...boom

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156
    Originally posted by likwidsage

I don't think people realize what a behemoth the GW2 release has become. Possibly the most *anticipated* MMO ever. Now whether that turns dream turn to reality is an other question. However, by the looks of the beta tests, previews and beta reviews, it seems that there is some truth to the hype. I doubt TSW will any effect on GW2 on release day at all.

Yet, Pandaria will almost certanly sell more. Weird huh.

On topic, 2 completly different games. This idea that 1 games affects the others gets tossed around alot and i have yet to see it happening. SWTOR didn't affect Rift. TERA didn't affect SWTOR. TSW didn't affect TERA. And i'm certain GW2 won't affect TSW.

No need to postone anything. The game's good. it will do well, just like TSW and all others. (expect TOR for obvious reasons): Is this thread a troll threads? Seems like it.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

GW2 has a following, even my son and his friends are aware of it and plan on buying a copy.

When it comes to TSW the reaction is "what is that" and I think you'll find that to be largely the reaction from the general gaming community.

What really matters is if GW2 is really in solid enough shape to launch on Aug 28th, and by most accounts it appears to be.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• KrimzinKrimzin Member UncommonPosts: 687

The only reason TSW had a decent release is because there is "NOTHING" worth playing atm. So as the saying goes.. Something is better than NOTHING. I even considered trying TSW, but after one beta weekend.. Id rather poke out my eyes with a dull spoon, seems like a lot more fun.

Just because I'm a gamer doesn't mean I drive a Honda.
    Best Duo Ever

Lets see your Battle Stations /r/battlestations
    Battle Station 
  • AnirethAnireth Member UncommonPosts: 940

I doubt TSW will have much of an impact on Guild Wars 2. It will probably work the other way round, following the release of Guild Wars 2 TSW will see a drop in active players. TSW is the underdog here, not Guild Wars 2.

Also, in September we will see games like ArcheAge or Otherland, with Path of Exile coming in October, maybe we even see Mists of Pandaria..there is simply no "perfect" time to release it if you try to fit between other releases.

I'll wait to the day's end when the moon is high
    And then I'll rise with the tide with a lust for life, I'll
    Amass an army, and we'll harness a horde
    And then we'll limp across the land until we stand at the shore

• lilHealalilHeala Member UncommonPosts: 522

With all the releases (including xpacks / content updates) going on this year it doesn't matter when in Q3 or Q4 you release, there'll always be something that could be a competitor for box sales / play time whatever you use to measure.

But imo the point is moot because those same players that would want some more time with TSW could also buy it later? or buy it already but mainly play TSW because GW2 doesn't have a sub fee so you're not "wasting" anything you already bought but don't use yet. 

Of course Anet / NCSoft wants as many box sales as possible, but they don't need to be all at launch. In fact those late to the show for whatever reason will help spread the population during the launch period.

• ButtskiButtski Member UncommonPosts: 187

wait what?

you srsly think tsw can compete with gw2? lol.

the only one who would benefit from delaying would be tsw/fc cuz they would get an additional months of money from all those ppl who just play tsw while waiting for gw2.

tsw will be so dead after gw2's release.

Originally posted by Anireth

I doubt TSW will have much of an impact on Guild Wars 2. It will probably work the other way round, following the release of Guild Wars 2 TSW will see a drop in active players. TSW is the underdog here, not Guild Wars 2.

Also, in September we will see games like ArcheAge or Otherland, with Path of Exile coming in October, maybe we even see Mists of Pandaria..there is simply no "perfect" time to release it if you try to fit between other releases.

Huh? From what i know, it won't even release then in Korea. It would be amazing, but no.

• KalmporosKalmporos Member UncommonPosts: 293

The title is misleading. Intentionally I believe in order to draw attention.

I voted for no. I dont think that TSW directly competes with GW2. Two completelly different games, the one doesnt even require a sub.

• megera23megera23 Member UncommonPosts: 239
    Originally posted by Buttski

tsw will be so dead after gw2's release.

I don't personally think that this will happen, at least not because of GW2. TSW seems to be targeting an entirely different demographic of the MMORPG playerbase than GW2 is, with minor overlaps. Whether TSW floats or sinks depends entirely on the game itself and Funcom.

• HaloheadHalohead Member UncommonPosts: 11

I imagine Arena.net already made sufficient "box-sales" from Guild Wars 2 just from the people pre-purchasing, if the amount of people I saw in the weekend betas are any indicator.

I also played a few betas in TSW, but quickly grew weary of all the lame pop-culture references the game's cutscenes shoved down my throat. Fans in general chat were quick to defend it as being a reflection of "the world we live in today", but in the REAL world, people do not bring up Pacman, Xbox Gamerscores, and Oprah THAT OFTEN. It was random, awkward, and broke immersian, if there was actually any to be had in the first place.

• seridanseridan Member UncommonPosts: 1,202
    Originally posted by lilHeala

Of course Anet / NCSoft wants as many box sales as possible, but they don't need to be all at launch.

Exactly. In fact a launch with millions of people would hurt the game more than benefit it, since there is no subscription fee. More players at launch isn't ideal for a game without subs.

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

• atharielathariel Member Posts: 91

TSW will be investigating F2P by the time GW2 launches. They have a Pay2Win cash shop so it shouldn't take long for them to make a switch.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

I dont think they will impact each other at all...

Maybe for a couple of days people will jump from TSW to GW2 but people who like both will play both.. Me i dont like GW2 so it wont effect me LOL :)

Originally posted by athariel

TSW will be investigating F2P by the time GW2 launches. They have a Pay2Win cash shop so it shouldn't take long for them to make a switch.

LOL. GW2's CS is closer to P2W than TSW's. But neither is.

Anyway, the funny part is that TSW competes more with SWTOR, while GW2 competes more with TERA. The 2 may be mmorpgs, but interestes are completly different. Also, fate is the same. Both wil launch with lots of box sales then see huge drops a few months after. TSW will see it's when GW2 launches, but it won't kill. GW2 will see it's ones later on.

Also, Anet should be far more worried with Pandaria. Knowing Blizz, they might wven launch close to GW2 just to insult.

• Kyus_HoBKyus_HoB Member Posts: 185

I think the TSW release will effect GW2 like a pee shooter would a Tank. 

No disrespect to TSW as I love the setting and content but in terms of appeal we are talking completely different scales here. Also does it really matter when you buy GW2 theres no sub :-) so even if you are happily playing TSW I'd imagine if you liked GW2 you'd still be picking up a copy. 

• nadrian3knadrian3k Member UncommonPosts: 101

no

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by seridan

No reason to delay any further.

This.

Their timing is perfect.

• itssantositssantos Member UncommonPosts: 84

In my opinion GW2 needs to stick with the date no matter what. Even if MOP drops the same date I think any change by Arena Net would install doubt in a lot of people thinking the game is not ready and they are just rushing release etc etc.

GW2 is the shark in the ocean right now so I would stick to my guns, other games should plan around GW2 not the other way around.