Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No hype train = amazing game ?

OtashiOtashi Member UncommonPosts: 78

I have to say I've been jumping in SWTOR hype train and Diablo3 to join friends and those games turned out being so damn boring... Also I had no hope at all for TSW but bought it after they announced GW2 on August 28th (2 month to kill).

Thing is, I cannot log out of it and go to bed before 6 AM (yeah GF has been mad last two days lol !)... game is really amazing even if I'm more into Fantasy MMORPGs I'm really liking the game so far.

There is a smart forum post about this : http://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?t=37140

So now I am worried, I didn't play GW2 much yet... only 4 hours during a stress test... and game has a HUGE hype behind it, should I just avoid it because overhyped games seems to turn out boring ? (Overhyped as in "a lot of people rant about it"... not as in "the game shouldn't get this attention")

Your thoughts ? :p

Edit: "overhyped games seems to turn out boring"... I pretty much meant that I get disapointed at all those overhyped games lately... and I had to follow the hype train because I had no time or no beta invitation to try it out before it comes out... I am not trying to say that MMOs are meant to last forever and not to become boring at some point... that's just my bad english getting you away from my point, sorry !

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Some of the most gushing threads I have seen about this game seem to come from low post count previously more or less inactive accounts.

Not saying it isn't good, or that people are not enoying it, just observing the trend.

• OtashiOtashi Member UncommonPosts: 78
    Originally posted by Vesavius

Some of the most gushing threads I have seen about this game seem to come from low post count previously more or less inactive accounts.

Not saying it isn't good, or that people are not enoying it, just observing the trend.

I'm not inactive, I just don't post much but I pretty much camp the website looking what is being said :) Also English is not my mother tongue and it was a quickly posted thread about my current mood, thats about it...

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

TSW to me is pretty unique, its different from that same ole high fantasy setting we have been playing (so I would say different is good imo).

Guild Wars 2 does have a huge hype fanbase (but what game doesn't these days). I would just keep playing TSW till GW2 arrives since you seem to be having fun in the game.

As I stated in several posts of mine, there is always that honeymoon period where all games we play are awesome.

• NeferaNefera Member Posts: 426
    So basically the question is: should you avoid a game you find fun just because it's hyped? since you were in the stress test, I assume you've bought it our tried at friend's, in which case you should have ample opportunity to get an impression during next beta. If you don't find it fun, then there really is no question.

In short: ignore the hype. :)
  • WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

My thoughts; play what you like not what the marketing man tells you, you will enjoy.

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156
    Originally posted by Otashi

I have to say I've been jumping in SWTOR hype train and Diablo3 to join friends and those games turned out being so damn boring... Also I had no hope at all for TSW but bought it after they announced GW2 on August 28th (2 month to kill).

Thing is, I cannot log out of it and go to bed before 6 AM (yeah GF has been mad last two days lol !)... game is really amazing even if I'm more into Fantasy MMORPGs I'm really liking the game so far.

There is a smart forum post about this : http://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?t=37140

So now I am worried, I didn't play GW2 much yet... only 4 hours during a stress test... and game has a HUGE hype behind it, should I just avoid it because overhyped games seems to turn out boring ? (Overhyped as in "a lot of people rant about it"... not as in "the game shouldn't get this attention")

Dude, if you like the game, buy it, play it, enjoy it. Just please, don't expect either TSW, GW2 or whatever mmorpg to the greatest, ultimate ever that will hold for all eternity without ever getting bored, and much less, running out of content. They're video games.

Hype doesn't matter. Only fanboys who go guts over games get dissapointed. Play the games. One being B2P and other P2P means you can enjoy both perfectly. Not only that, they're not only not wow clones, but complement each other very well.

Like i said, just don't expect to keep playing for months and months months. They're themeparks, which is fine. Damm, this threads just isn't going to go well.

Originally posted by FredomSekerZ

Dude, if you like the game, buy it, play it, enjoy it. Just please, don't expect either TSW, GW2 or whatever mmorpg to the greatest, ultimate ever that will hold for all eternity without ever getting bored, and much less, running out of content. They're video games.

Hype doesn't matter. Only fanboys who go guts over games get dissapointed. Play the games. One being B2P and other P2P means you can enjoy both perfectly. Not only that, they're not only not wow clones, but complement each other very well.

Like i said, just don't expect to keep playing for months and months months. They're themeparks, which is fine. Damm, this threads just isn't going to go well.

Check out the Edit :)

• CetraCetra Member UncommonPosts: 359

Edit: "overhyped games seems to turn out boring"... I pretty much meant that I get disapointed at all those overhyped games lately... and I had to follow the hype train because I had no time or no beta invitation to try it out before it comes out... I am not trying to say that MMOs are meant to last forever and not to become boring at some point... that's just my bad english getting you away from my point, sorry !

bet $60 you be dying to play gw2 after 2 months of tsw.

Gw2 is not hype anymore to many people. We knowing what we are playing and getting.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

I suspect that in a relatively short time TSW will turn out to be boring for you as well, regardless how much fun you are having during the "honeymoon" stage right now.

But that would depend on what you are looking for in a MMORPG, me, I'm not seeing much of what I like in these sorts of games, so I'm steering clear for the time being.

GW2 looks a bit more promising, but I'm definitely not falling head over heals for it either.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156
    Originally posted by FredomSekerZ

Check out the Edit :)

Ok. Look OP, IMHO, the people who get the most dissapointed are those who want these games to last forever. I find both of these to be nice themeparks. Regarding the falling for the hype, i stand by my earlier statement. Just don't expect either game to be awesome after the first few months.

From what i've been gathering, many go into them wanting to play forever, but when they run out and get bored, the game goes into "ultimate sucks" mode. You'll get a few months of game time from GW2 and TSW and that should be enough. Eventually, there will be patch updates and expansions and you can return to them then.

It's what i'm doing myself. With both games, you can extend your fun even further. So,don't worry. If you already like TSW, great. If your still abit unsure about GW2, try it out in the last BWE.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Dont know if it has anything to do with the hype...

But for me TSW rocks.. so much better than the other Themepark MMOS out there and also better than the upcomnig GW2.. but this is my opinion..

How long with TSW last ? Well I am realyl not a massive fan of themepark games im more of a sandbox FFA PVP full loot type of person so who knows.. prbally the rest of the year..

• AsboAsbo Member UncommonPosts: 812
    Originally posted by HiGHPLAiNS

TSW to me is pretty unique, its different from that same ole high fantasy setting we have been playing (so I would say different is good imo).

Guild Wars 2 does have a huge hype fanbase (but what game doesn't these days). I would just keep playing TSW till GW2 arrives since you seem to be having fun in the game.

As I stated in several posts of mine, there is always that honeymoon period where all games we play are awesome.

Pretty much +1 to everything you have said, but most important is that the person who buys any game gets the most from it before it ends up on your unistall list forever.

Bandit

Asbo

• CantorageCantorage Member Posts: 186
    Originally posted by Caldrin

Dont know if it has anything to do with the hype...

But for me TSW rocks.. so much better than the other Themepark MMOS out there and also better than the upcomnig GW2.. but this is my opinion..

How lnog with TSW last ? Well I am realyl not a massive fan of themepark games im more of a sandbox FFA PVP full loot type of person so who knows.. prbally the rest of the year..

Signed.

I have been waiting a long time (was in closed beta for months) to get to keep my character. I'm not even slightly burned out, and can't wait to see what's around the next corner. I bought lifetime because the game has already demonstrated that it can keep me entertained for months.

Another thing I have been waiting for is the GW2 fanboy "other game"-bashing brigade to finally be pacified by the actual truth. This army of trolls that go around talking about GW2 on other game's forums and "recruiting" (what they think they do) people to this game they think is going to be so awesome. FINALLY this will be put to rest.

SERVERS ARE UP! Whoooooo

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

Let's start with the title. TSW = no hype really? First of all, just because it wasn't as advertised as other games doesn't mean there wasn't a hype train behind it. There are almost as many "features list" "we're different look at us" "dev interviews about what makes their game great" on TSW as any other game out there. And I am one who usually avoids the Hype subject because it's vapor it doesn't exist and is low brow. 

Hype by definition is how the developer rants about the game not how the community revieves it and is not necessarily factual. That doesn't apply to this game as A: everything they promised is in there in regards to features gameplay fun factor elements B: the devs have only hyped about WHY they made this game the way it is, not the game itself. and C: the facts about how this game is right now outweigh anything a single post in a forum can throw at it . Already we are seeing how this game's design will affect the whole industry, through the players. Player A is playing another game (usually themepark with a monthly sub) goes and plays to BWE and his eyes and world are opened, he goes back after the BWE to find his other game boring because of it's lack of modern programming and begins posting like so many other in the forums of the devs of said game demanding features and updates.

Just look at the signature, that's how hype as a word should be received, and gaga babble an unworthy topic and a word that's overused for everything that people think won't be good in game forums. "Ermahgerd! it's been advertised exactly as is and everything they said was in the game is in it, it's overhyped! GASP." No no it's not overhyped, they just lived up to their promises at Arenanet.

Not to mention the flawed logic of just becuase a game dev doesn't spend as much on advertising as another, the game will automagically be better.

• Sameer1979Sameer1979 Member Posts: 362
    Originally posted by itgrowls

Let's start with the title. TSW = no hype really? First of all, just because it wasn't as advertised as other games doesn't mean there wasn't a hype train behind it. There are almost as many "features list" "we're different look at us" "dev interviews about what makes their game great" on TSW as any other game out there. And I am one who usually avoids the Hype subject because it's vapor it doesn't exist and is low brow. 

Hype by definition is how the developer rants about the game not how the community revieves it and is not necessarily factual. That doesn't apply to this game as A: everything they promised is in there in regards to features gameplay fun factor elements B: the devs have only hyped about WHY they made this game the way it is, not the game itself. and C: the facts about how this game is right now outweigh anything a single post in a forum can throw at it . Already we are seeing how this game's design will affect the whole industry, through the players. Player A is playing another game (usually themepark with a monthly sub) goes and plays to BWE and his eyes and world are opened, he goes back after the BWE to find his other game boring because of it's lack of modern programming and begins posting like so many other in the forums of the devs of said game demanding features and updates.

Just look at the signature, that's how hype as a word should be received, and gaga babble an unworthy topic and a word that's overused for everything that people think won't be good in game forums. "Ermahgerd! it's been advertised exactly as is and everything they said was in the game is in it, it's overhyped! GASP." No no it's not overhyped, they just lived up to their promises at Arenanet.

Not to mention the flawed logic of just becuase a game dev doesn't spend as much on advertising as another, the game will automagically be better.

Hey take it easy now..FC should have just made a manifesto video and gave a statement like 'we want to beat WOW in sales and popularity' to forbes. That is how it is done.

FC don't know how to create hype. Stupid FC!!!

• taus01taus01 Member Posts: 1,352

Like all MMO's released in the recent years, it is fun for a month, maybe 2 until the "New game smell" wears off. The game has no lasting appeal for a few very obvious reasons.

1. It's full of anoying bugs that have been reported (by me in closed) and are still in game. Even the very first mission selecting your class is still bugged and you need to remake your character if you screw it up.

2. Combat system is bad. This should have been an FPS MMO not this weird twitch-rush gameplay.

3. Veterans/No-Lifers will have "Supersoldiers" in a Month or two with all skills and best armor/weapons. PvP becomes a pain in the ass for everyone.

4. Item Store + Subscription is not a big deal as long as it is restricted to cosmetic items. But offering cosmetic items that are disgustingly ugly like they do right now is nto going to get them a lot of customers. Seriously, you should see the shit they offer there, it's like a used clothes store from the 70's.

Worth to get for $35 with one month free gametime (check the internet you already find it at that price). After that, let it die slowly like the rest of funcoms attempts at a successful MMO.

I do play myself since i am bored and i am having fun running through it with a few friends. But we all did not subscribe after the free 30 days.

"Give players systems and tools instead of rails and rules"

• Sameer1979Sameer1979 Member Posts: 362
    Originally posted by taus01

Like all MMO's released in the recent years, it is fun for a month, maybe 2 until the "New game smell" wears off. The game has no lasting appeal for a few very obvious reasons.

1. It's full of anoying bugs that have been reported (by me in closed) and are still in game. Even the very first mission selecting your class is still bugged and you need to remake your character if you screw it up.

2. Combat system is bad. This should have been an FPS MMO not this weird twitch-rush gameplay.

3. Veterans/No-Lifers will have "Supersoldiers" in a Month or two with all skills and best armor/weapons. PvP becomes a pain in the ass for everyone.

4. Item Store + Subscription is not a big deal as long as it is restricted to cosmetic items. But offering cosmetic items that are disgustingly ugly like they do right now is nto going to get them a lot of customers. Seriously, you should see the shit they offer there, it's like a used clothes store from the 70's.

Worth to get for $35 with one month free gametime (check the internet you already find it at that price). After that, let it die slowly like the rest of funcoms attempts at a successful MMO.

I do play myself since i am bored and i am having fun running through it with a few friends. But we all did not subscribe after the free 30 days.

Sorry but comment about combat is your own preference on playstyle and as far as bugs are concerned todays patch fixed the starting area and all broken quests in Kingsmouth (i came across  2 quests in total that didn't work). I have moved to Blue Mountain now and bugs are minimal at this point.

So all though there could be many other reasons that TSW might not have lasting appeal but i doubt it would be because of lack of FPS style or because there are bugs in a newly launched MMO which are being fixed on daily basis and are not even that much to begin with ...that it hinders your character progression. Unless bugs are game breaking which they are not i wouldn't worry about it having effect on lasting appeal of TSW or just any newly released MMO.

• AcvivmAcvivm Member UncommonPosts: 323
    Originally posted by DMKano
    IMO the game is good because it is different, it doesn't feel like the eq1 clones we''ve been playing for the last 12 years. tsw feels like it gives the player so much choice as far as skill/character builds go. Once the newness wears the only thing that tsw has going for it is the skill wheel.... However once players realize that all of these 500+ skills end up performing pretty much the same way regardless of weapon type then illusion of so many possibilities will disappear and folks will realize that there are in reality comes down to different animation in weapons that basically do the same thing.

I feel the same way, I see a lot of good things in TSW that I am enjoying, but I am under no illusion that it is something extraordinary like many people on this forum are making it out to be. People are definitely getting a little carried away with praising this game beyond what it really is but I guess its understandable considering there are many people here that just can't be objective about games they are enjoying. Once the honey-moon period is over people are going to be downing this game in the same way that SWTOR is being treated right now. And thus...the cycle continues on...

HEAVEN OR HELL
    Duel 1
    Lets ROCK!

• CyclopsSlayerCyclopsSlayer Member UncommonPosts: 532

What makes a game worthwhile to me in the long run has little to do with the hype and more to do with the content and development. All too often lately Devs and Fans are using hype to cover for glaring game faults and holes. 

SWTOR and RIFT for example seemed decent the first run through, not great but decent, then when I started a second char it was abundantly clear quickly just how small and shallow their worlds were. TSW the first run or two through feel fresh and new, but are second chars required to follow the same now stale path, or are their sufficient alternate paths to keep things new? WoW for all of its faults does a wonderful job of providing multiple alternate paths to make Alts less of a grind, end game they are all the same, run Dungeon/Event/Boss XXX 500 times to get that sparkly new Helmet, just so you can now run Event XXX2 to get the next minor upgraded helm...

So TSW, all fresh and shiny is a new drug, but will you still want the TSW thrill after the first month is over? SWTOR/Rift/Warhammer all failed that test for me. Come back in 3 weeks or so and see if you feel the same.

• EvilGeekEvilGeek Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

Loving TSW too at the moment, have no idea about the longevity, as a heavily story driven game, which is what makes it unique and so enjoyable, I do worry that when the story runs out how soon will I get bored? Only time will tell. Being a GW2 fan who firmly believes the hype is based on fact (it's all in the game), I'm not going to worry, if TSW keeps me happy until GW2 releases then all is well in the world of gaming for me, if TSW still has me when GW2 releases then I'll keep it as a side to GW2, otherwise I'll focus on GW2 until TSW receives more content.

Ignore the hype for GW2 as you ignored the hype for TSW and I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

Originally posted by itgrowls

Very interesting though but I dont get it why people feel the urge to spread out their knowledge and look down on people. This is my first time posting anything on this website and I've seen many complains about how people reply to threads... I can now make my own opinion.. about 40% of the people will try to look smart and just want to make my thread look ridiculous 50 other % are trolls and 10% are actually giving out their opinion about what is IN my thread.. I mean the ideas and not how I put it in words... 

• BigCountryBigCountry Member Posts: 478
    Originally posted by EvilGeek

if TSW still has me when GW2 releases then I'll keep it as a side to GW2, otherwise I'll focus on GW2 until TSW receives more content.

Ignore the hype for GW2 as you ignored the hype for TSW and I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

/This

Most of us purchased and are playing TSW until GW2 comes out. Works out great.

:D

BigCountry | Head Hunters | www.wefarmpeople.com

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

I think you're building unrealistic expectations. The game is a lot of fun and rather entertaining but just seems like your setting yourself up for a huge crash come the end of the honeymoon phase. Try to be a bit more objective if you can. You'll save yourself some disappointment in the long run and probably not feel so let down by games.

As for me, as I said I like the game. I think I'll probably get about three months out of it. If I'm wrong and I get more then all the better. If I don't then not a real concern because I went in with that expectation anyways. Kind of how you have to play it far as I'm concerned with story themed mmos.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

TSW out the box is a good game 90% of things work and are functional and there is nothing game breaking so far.  TSW's success is now totally dependent on funcom delivering streams of content over time.

So far I enjoy TSW's quest system as it makes me think and I am forced to investigate outside of the game.  I like it as I am tired completely tired of time vs how many mobs you can kill games.

I am okay with turtle pace and this game seems to be fun from the start at turtle pace.  My point, being a noob is no draw back you don't have to race to the top to get to the fun stuff.

My warning: If wow style theme park games have gotten into your blood stream, it is likely you will hate this game.  You need to focus and have an average persons IQ to even think about picking up this game.  Otherwise you will hate it.