Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ready for GW2?

InFlamestwoInFlamestwo Member Posts: 662

Some might have a hard time adapting to the new gameplay of GW2.

First time i played GW2 it was hard and i wasn't used to the combat and movement. In BWE2 it felt alot better and i had a better grasp of what i did. Also, i think some content might be too hard, it's not like you can rush into 3-4 enemies and take them on in early levels, i always had to go 1vs1 and sometimes i could survive 1vs2.

Guild Wars 2 is ready, but the players are not ready for Guild Wars 2.

Comments

• Kyus_HoBKyus_HoB Member Posts: 185
    Originally posted by InFlamestwo

First time i played GW2 it was hard and i wasn't used to the combat and movement. In BWE2 it felt alot better and i had a better grasp of what i did. Also, i think some content might be too hard, it's not like you can rush into 3-4 enemies and take them on in early levels, i always had to go 1vs1 and sometimes i could survive 1vs2.

Indeed sir!

and this is why GW2 will be a very successful title it has a learning curve for once. Most of the mmo community have played multiple titles that fair pretty similar. When SWTOR came round I was leveling looking over my shoulder at the tv drinking a beer with one hand and casually smacking some buttons with the other (since I had about 20+ skills strung across my screen it was almost irrelevant what I was doing during the leveling process). 

by making us think and engage straight away its waking us from the monotanous slumber that the mmo gamer has been in and given us an engagin experience from day 1 not once you reach the level cap. 

For new players though I hope Arena Net put a difficulty rating on class selection, my girlfriend will be playing with me for the first time and I've recommended a few of the more straight forward classes for her first toon.

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156

There probably lies your problem. If you're too used to the traditional "stand in 1 place and spam skills", you might find difficulty in GW2.

Personally, i didn't find anything too hard. I've played lots of games tat require hand-eye coordination, from FPS, racing, action, fighting, etc. IMHO, it isn't really hard at all. I'm even suprised many people say it's soo hard and they died alot. But, i do love the combat. It's not full action based unfortunalty, but it's still alot better than wow style.

Also, yes, many players will have a hard time adapting to this. But, i believe that's how it such. Games shouldn't be made super easy.

• xausxaus Member Posts: 34

Unless you have a disability (i.e missing an arm) i don't see anyone having a problem. End of the day you click a skill move and click another skill.

• friednietzfriednietz Member Posts: 118

Well, I'm ready to learn.

Thankfully I haven't seen anything in the betas that are as hard as qknocking. Just have to learn to stop looking at the UI as often as I do since it's not telling me anything I can't see happening. lol 

• AsboAsbo Member UncommonPosts: 812

I'm ready and personally anyone who has been playing any kind of RPG or MMO will or should be able to adapt faily quickly and if not then they just need to work on learning the builds.

Asbo

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by NightBandit

I'm ready and personally anyone who has been playing any kind of RPG or MMO will or should be able to adapt faily quickly and if not then they just need to work on learning the builds.

Anybody who played them 10 years ago will adapt fast. People who only played Wow, Rift and TOR might get some issues though.

• andre369andre369 Member UncommonPosts: 970

Well, who is ever ready for a new game? You learn as you play. This is  a no brainer.

• StrixMaximaStrixMaxima Member UncommonPosts: 865

I frankly don't think the basic gameplay is a huge departure from standard character movement and combat. People will need to learn their skills, where they should be in various scenarios, and what the enemies can do.

All of which is something that will not take them a great amount of time to learn. Mastering them will take a little longer, but that's why we play stuff, right?

I think GW2 is very friendly for newcomers, in general, as long as they are used to the WASD setup.

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

It took me the length of the tutorial to adjust and I don't think I'm any more adaptable than the next gamer.  If some people can't adjust, it's likely because they simpy don't want to.  In which case, f*** 'em.  They aren't worth playing with in the first place.

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

I think there's some things that aren't completely obvious unless you either play around with it a bit, or know about it ahead of time.

Like just how meaningful/useful dodging can be, and how poor of a strategy blocking with your face can be.

Because in many ways it seems like a conventional MMORPG type setup, the parts where it's different can throw a person off.

• p_c_sousap_c_sousa Member Posts: 620

people used to play MMORPG with mouse to activated skills for sure will need sometime to adapt to GW2 combat, but after few hours should be ok. 

if someone cant adapt to GW2 combat  is just because dont want 

• bleyzwunbleyzwun Member UncommonPosts: 1,087

I think the hardest part for me was to not connect the dots (going from quest giver to quest giver).  I knew how the game was supposed to be played from watching the vids, but I was still doing what I've been trained to do over the years.  I finally decided to just go explore and kill stuff on the way (after reading some posts about it).  That's when I started to enjoy the game.  

I feel this will be the biggest problem for many people.  We have been conditioned to play these games in a certain fashion, and some people have a difficult time letting go of their ways.  

• Kyus_HoBKyus_HoB Member Posts: 185

Another area where people might struggle is those that refuse to rebind their keys out of stuborness "I'll play how XXXDeveloperXXXX intended it to be played". Its amazing how rebinding your utilities heal and elite enhance the gameplay. my preference being Q,E,R Utility G heal and I think it was C for Elite. I still liked the numbers for attacks as it made me play less spammy having the extra distance and the number 1 ability is basically a togglable autoattack.

• dreldrel Member Posts: 918
    The concept of continually moving in battle takes getting used to. Once you learn this new dynamic way of fighting, you will have a hard time going back to just standing to fight or cast spells.
    In GW2 if you stand and fight, you will die.
  • likwidsagelikwidsage Member UncommonPosts: 90

I, for one, welcome the challenge. I remember the good old days when games were actually hard. These days it seems gamers have become more whiney and need to have their hand held through games.

• seridanseridan Member UncommonPosts: 1,202

The biggest "issue" we will face are those who won't understand the Dynamic Event system. Players should learn to ask themselves "WHY is this happening" whenever they see one event, so they can better grasp why everything is happening and how they are all tied together. Following NPCs after an event is finished is important because there are lots of event chains

Also, playing the game and doing things without having a quest in your log to do so will take some getting used to for many people. Remove the idea of "having to do that" from your mind and the game will become far more pleasant.

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

• EvilGeekEvilGeek Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

People are going to need to adjust, the two most obvious being the more active combat and the fact that content requires you to explore to find it.

Combat - I doubt people will really get to grips with this until later levels, at first it can be played toe to toe like traditional MMO combat, the shock will come post lvl 10 when things start to ramp up and players who don't adapt will spend too much time playing dead and spending too much on repairs, it will be a harsh lesson for some.

Event content - We've seen already that people are so used to being told where to go all the time that they struggled to find content, it's there you need to go out and find it. I think this is likely the hardest to adapt to, people are so used to being told where to go that they'll find themselves standing around wondering what to do next. At launch this shouldn't be too much of a problem as it will be easier to follow the crowd, when the starting areas die down it could be a bigger problem.

I'm sure there won't be a shortage of helpful people pointing people in the right direction though, it all depends on how much people are willing to adapt and explore. If you aren't fond of exploring you're going to have problems.

• BrialynBrialyn Member Posts: 184

I personally don't feel like I suck at these games or anything.  I won't lie though, it took my some time in the betas.  At first I was sort of frustrated but then again it was nice to have a learning curve again.  I eventually adapted and found the game to be a LOT of fun!  Honestly it can be done but I'm sure some folks will get frustrated, hopefully the stick it out though because the game is well worth it. 

Currently Playing: FFXIV:ARR
    Looking Forward to: Wildstar
  • EvilGeekEvilGeek Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

I just want to add- Patience is a requirement if you're going to get the most out of the game, you're going to need to hang around and see what that NPC does now you've finished the event, maybe follow that NPC and see what else will kick off, if you don't you'll miss out on content and story.

• korat102korat102 Member Posts: 313

I've been running around like a headless chicken in the BWE's because of the limited time available. Once the game has been released, there's no rush. I intend to take things easy and explore (like I've never explored before!). GW2 will most probably be my only MMO by then and I want to get the most out of it...

• ValuaValua Member Posts: 520

Really? No.

Before I played I had a feeling that combat was going to be utterly different, how wrong I was. 

It's pretty straight forward at the end of the day, pretty similar to most single player games actually. 

If anything Tera/TSW have steeper learing curves, not GW2.

People will get used to it after 20 mins easy. They may not master it, but they'll definitely get used to it.

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773
    Originally posted by xaus

Unless you have a disability (i.e missing an arm) i don't see anyone having a problem. End of the day you click a skill move and click another skill.

I press mine though :/

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156

I have to say i'm suprised players feel so "weirded out" by new mechanics. Saw this all the time in TSW and GW2. Are people really so used to traditional mechanics that one can't even adapt easily?

• nadrian3knadrian3k Member UncommonPosts: 101

I played terra at a friend a couple of times...it's the same... it just has a "twist" that is as easily learned as the regular system. It's just an illusion terra is different...an illusion that will pass (if not after 30 min like for regular games) in 1-2h of gameplay. Remember Connan?

The idea of a game is to have fun....and in GW2, even if the system may seem traditional...even with the good siege mechanics and underwater fight which is by far the best in any mmo so far, i have a ton of fun. That for me is a win..may it be a traditional or completely new system.

Overall Terra didn't seem to impress me..or give me any fun feeling compared to GW2. Terra is something u get bored fast.

• MattVidMattVid Member Posts: 399

My first game was EverQuest. I like dying, and I like challenge. Honestly, GW2 is one of the first games in a while where I felt challenged from basically the very beginning. There were a few DE's here and there where I would literally die 5-10 times. Finally when you nail down a strategy and pull it off, it feels very rewarding.

I know I am ready to play the game, I have already improved my play drastically from even the first BWE :)