Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Darkfall Promotion = Still not worth it?

KanylKanyl Member UncommonPosts: 252

Heya!

I have had my eyes on Darkfall for a long time, but never got into it because of the "endless grind" and "spawn kill"! Now, when there will be a promotion that increase the skill gain by 20x, my question is (as the title):

Still not worth it? 

As for a new player, will I be dissapointed or what? Why shouldn't I play it? Why should I play it?

Give me some answears! ;)

Comments

• GrunchGrunch Member Posts: 493

As a new player you will be dispapointed. You might have some fun doing non-pvp things but will never be able to compete against vets. They have capped everything (super soldiers) and their banks are full of the best armor and weapons. The fact that you can max everything makes this game horrible. UO had a much better skill based sandbox system.

"I'm sorry but your mmo has been diagnosed with EA and only has X number of days to live."

• willo248willo248 Member Posts: 346

I would say it's worth it. I haven't played for about a year but when i started playing most people were already ultra high skill level.  however this wasn't a problem I found that after a month or two i could still be extremely effective in a fight and took down many very high levels.

As for spawn killing i never witnessed this issue, and generally at a low level when your training high levels won't slaughter you for fun, but are infact more likely to help you out.

That's another great thing about the game, join a clan early and you will find that it has a great community always happy to answer your questions. 

It has to be said that the game does have its issues. However there is nothing like this on the market and it's a blast.

• dosengandosengan Member UncommonPosts: 52

honestly 20X is HUGE , it means on pve mobs u will be 80X boosted -.- thats INSANE

if u play casually for 2-3 weeks u will be CAPPED in EVERYTHING :| 

this is a great chance for cassual players to "get up there"

worst case  u waste 10$ ... not alot id say seeing as most games u want to buy cost 5X that ;)

• Saxx0nSaxx0n PR/Brand Manager BitBox Ltd.Member UncommonPosts: 999
    It is like offering free pony rides but the pony is dead and bloated.
  • DemandmanDemandman Member Posts: 57

I'd steer clear if I was you. Darkfall was great fun for a few months after launch. Ever since mid-2009 and the superiority of magic combat the game has required an abusive playstyle to compete. There are mostly blind zealots still playing the game, those of us actually interested in it's original potential are waiting for DF 2.0/have given up.

• wrekognizewrekognize Member UncommonPosts: 388

I have been playing 7 weeks. I have had some of the best PVE I've had in an MMO, solo and group. I joined a nice guild who are in a pretty big alliance. I've been involved in PVP battles as large as 50 on 50.

All this without the skill boost increase.

• IkisisIkisis Member UncommonPosts: 443

Im gonna come back for a few months. Happy Hunting everyone >:D

• -Zeno--Zeno- Member CommonPosts: 1,298
    Originally posted by wrekognize

I have been playing 7 weeks. I have had some of the best PVE I've had in an MMO, solo and group. I joined a nice guild who are in a pretty big alliance. I've been involved in PVP battles as large as 50 on 50.

This.

The game is fun with a clan.  The game is even more of a challenge solo.  If you think a challenge is fun this is the game for you.  If you want everything given to you on a silver platter then this game is not for you.

The definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over expecting different results.

• PanossianPanossian Member Posts: 94

Only worth it if you believe DF 2.0 will actually happen and not suck and want to max out your char. PvP in it's current state is total garbage with spell spam and hotbar juggling. Top that off with a silly siege system and you have a game which looks good on paper but fails in the end.

As stated by someone else, the only peoples till playing are the die hards not letting go and newbies who don't have enough experience yet to realize that the game is not worth the time.

Current Game FFXIV (Cactuar)
    Looking for 1 healer for 8 mans.

• TruthXHurtsTruthXHurts Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

I think the 20X skill is what they needed to get new players in because like everyone said ebfore it is pointless ot start out as a noobie. You will NEVER catch up. Now that there is 20X skill I'd say you could be pvp viable in 1 month of slightly more than casual play if you grind hard. 3 months if you are just playing.

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"

• helthroshelthros Member UncommonPosts: 1,449

I just started earlier this week and I've been having fun.

I'm not an epeen warrior like some people feel you need to play PvP games. I'm having fun exploring and doing the PvE thing. I feel no rush to grind out my skills and I intend to hopefully join a clan of some sort to be able to contribute to PvP.

I don't expect to take vets on 1v1 any time soon (what game allows you to anyway?) etc.

What kind of player won't enjoy starting Darkfall? People like Grunch that feel that if they can't compete with vets right away that it's not worth playing (read instant-gratification crowd).

For 10 dollars, it's well worth a shot. I'm having fun so far and I would happily welcome some partners in crime. Getting ganked can be a pain, but you get over it and if you make regular trips to the bank, it isn't so bad.

• enticleenticle Member Posts: 32
    Originally posted by dosengan

honestly 20X is HUGE , it means on pve mobs u will be 80X boosted -.- thats INSANE

if u play casually for 2-3 weeks u will be CAPPED in EVERYTHING :| 

How did you manage to come up with 80x? 

Anyways my take on the 20x gains, I figure it will be the same gains they had in october during the last free weekend they did. They said back then it was 4x, which it was not. What they did was add a multiplier on top of another multiplier, that's why the gains were so much higher than what they advertised back then. Most people estimated that the gains were around 20 to 30x faster than previously back then, so this boost will probably be the same as october.

Any faster and it would be even more ridiculous, if it was 80x you would max a character in 1 day no problem. I understand most people like everything handed to them without effort (I don't agree with DFs ridiculous grind) but there does need to be a limit. So this should work out pretty good.

• deathshrouddeathshroud Member Posts: 1,366

perosnally i think the 20x modifier should of been the speed at which you level from the start. The grind is way to hardcore and its counter productive to the style of the game. for darkfall 2.0 i hope leveling is super fast so we can all get onto an even pvp level after a couple of months of play.

there are 2 types of mmo, imitators and innovaters.

I know most people don't want to hear it, but all of this screams at an internal decision to wipe for DF 2.0.

Having said that, there should still be plenty of fun to be had wipe or not since DF 2.0 is probably still a ways out thanks to Aventurine's incompetency.

• KanylKanyl Member UncommonPosts: 252

Sounds great!

Is there any game that you could compare the PVE with, like the atmosphere and the world? 

Also, what's your in-game name, name of the guild and on server? Might give you a call in DF, if I get it :)

• KanylKanyl Member UncommonPosts: 252
    Originally posted by helthros

I just started earlier this week and I've been having fun.

I'm not an epeen warrior like some people feel you need to play PvP games. I'm having fun exploring and doing the PvE thing. I feel no rush to grind out my skills and I intend to hopefully join a clan of some sort to be able to contribute to PvP.

I don't expect to take vets on 1v1 any time soon (what game allows you to anyway?) etc.

What kind of player won't enjoy starting Darkfall? People like Grunch that feel that if they can't compete with vets right away that it's not worth playing (read instant-gratification crowd).

For 10 dollars, it's well worth a shot. I'm having fun so far and I would happily welcome some partners in crime. Getting ganked can be a pain, but you get over it and if you make regular trips to the bank, it isn't so bad.

What server do you play on and what is your in-game name? Because I am not a hardcore player myself, since I like the more casual and calm way to "end game" ;)

• JupstoJupsto Member UncommonPosts: 2,075

should be amazing promo for new players if not only for the population increase, let alone the x20 exp and x4 loot.

My blog: image

• marcustmarcust Member UncommonPosts: 495
    Originally posted by sladden27

Sounds great!

Is there any game that you could compare the PVE with, like the atmosphere and the world? 

Also, what's your in-game name, name of the guild and on server? Might give you a call in DF, if I get it :)

Skyrim imo.

Granted it doesn't have the polish or RPG content of Skyrim but the content comes from joining a guild and creating it yourselves.

Playing: Darkfall New Dawn (and planning to play Fallout 76)
    Favourite games have included: UO, Lineage2, Darkfall, Lotro, Baldur's Gate, SSX, FF7 and yes the original Wizardry on an Apple IIe

• JupstoJupsto Member UncommonPosts: 2,075

edit wrong thread

My blog: image

Game definitely feels like Skyrim. The pve as world feel is pretty amazing. You will be running through the forest when suddenly you hear arrows wizzing by you. There is no mashing tab to see what is attacking you and there is no panning out your camera to see far beyond and behind your character. You have to find cover and check your surroundings to see how to react.

Most of your main spells that you want to be skilling up have reagent requirements. Because of this making sure you land what you are trying to train is crucial and adds another element to PvE.

Main thing to note is that you will get ganked and you will lose stuff. If you can't handle that then this game isn't for you. It's advisable to make regular trips back to town and avoid the major roads etc. It's usually really easy to get stuff back and you would have still gained skill ups so don't think of it as a total loss.

For anyone starting on NA - my ingame name is Helthros VonDoom. I'm a fairly noob Orc and I'll be playing afternoon To evening EST.

Oh and to anyone starting - lookup "accelerated character dark fall" on YouTube. Some vet made a series of videos to really get you started on the right path. It helps you out so you don't just run around lost and covers the first couple of days to ensure you aren't wasting your time.

My apologies for any formatting or spelling issues - this was done through my phone. I would love to get some people together so we can nub it up together.
  • alf2oooalf2ooo Member UncommonPosts: 139

This is actually the best guide to level up your toon, if you are a new player go for it: http://experimental3d.be/site/?page_id=75

Oh and you have a 24 hour in game sanctuary period where you can't be ganked so make the most of that to get yourself situated. Again I recommend using the YouTube videos.

I think it's definitely worth at least 10 Bux to try it out of you are curious and above all else bored with theme parks.
  • CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    Originally posted by deathshroud

perosnally i think the 20x modifier should of been the speed at which you level from the start. The grind is way to hardcore and its counter productive to the style of the game. for darkfall 2.0 i hope leveling is super fast so we can all get onto an even pvp level after a couple of months of play.

NAh character development is part of the fun of an MMORPG without character development people get bored fast...

Maxed my main character out in the last XP weekend and played for a month after before i realised i now had nothnig to play for and quit..

I hope DF2.0 goes back to standard skill speeds otherwise they may as well start everyone maxed out..

Saying that Darkfall is great fun to play and with a populated server tis noe fo the best MMORPGs out there.

• KatlaOdindottirKatlaOdindottir Member Posts: 144
    Anyone that quit in the first year/year and a half should try it, because it's changed so much and you will just see why everyone is so excited about 2.0.

www.daneslaw.com

@GamerKurisu

Awaiting Darkfall Unholy Wars

• BigCountryBigCountry Member Posts: 478

It was worth it last week.

But not this week.

Fail.

lol

BigCountry | Head Hunters | www.wefarmpeople.com