Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Worth Subscribing?

13»

Comments

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by MMOSavant

You're kidding? They are easy. Maybe he means terrible/boring as in not much of a challenge?

I didn't find one that challenged me for too long in Kingsmouth. Maybe they get harder further into the game? I'm looking forward to using the browser to find information.

highly doubt you got every single step of kingsmouth code or The Vision without a little bit of challenge on at least 1 or 2 tiers unless you just looked up the answer. A couple of the clues are extremely vague on a few tiers.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• NightkinNightkin Member UncommonPosts: 48

The pve part of TSW is good, challenging and not monoton. Always something to discover. But  the end game content -> dungeons can be boring. PvP is an another end game content but TSW's secret world need balance. Instant respawn after kills makes capturing respawn points is impossible. 2 man can hold up 20 from capturing a spawpoint.. Only the largest factions can dominate pvp. Sadly the numbers are dominating instead of skills/personal abilities. After the balance of pvp TSW will worth it's cost.

• MaitraderMaitrader Member UncommonPosts: 389
    Originally posted by Atlan99
    Originally posted by muthax

If you are spamming 2 buttons you are doing something wrong. You are ignoring ynergies between weapons and state effects. Some skills in the wheel do less damage than lower ones but add effects, change states and generally work in synergy with other skills. You have to build different gear sets with different skills depending on the situation. Oh and not to mention you can equip passives from weapons you don't have equipped and use them as 'bridge passives' between weapons that have zero synergy

Yeah Yeah I'm doing it wrong. Blah Blah.

Compared to the 30+ keybinds in Swtor. This is cakewalk.

It's just the nature of the system. Do I occasionally throw up a barrier or throw in a stun? Yes. But for the most part my damage is two buttons. 

The days of the 30+ keybindings is coming to a very quick end.. the age of the 7 - 8 skills is upon us. Choose your moves and focus, 30+ keybinds is a dated, archaic model :)

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by JosephJR
    Originally posted by kurtbarlow

Worth Subscribing?  For me, the answer is no.

Because it's once again (hello swtor) single player rpg with mediocre story line, awful combat and terrible/boring quests.

The MMO part doesn't show anywhere, except for fighting over quest mobs/items and general chat.

i am sory but  we talking about TSW  not GW2

Well TSW, to me is a single player game and not a very good one.

Give me Rift, Tera or, GW2 any day over TSW.

• BlackndBlacknd Member Posts: 600
    Originally posted by MMOSavant
    Originally posted by kaguhoO

Because it's once again (hello swtor) single player rpg with mediocre story line, awful combat and terrible/boring quests.

terrible quests?

lol i guess your IQ most be poor....

You're kidding? They are easy. Maybe he means terrible/boring as in not much of a challenge?

I didn't find one that challenged me for too long in Kingsmouth. Maybe they get harder further into the game? I'm looking forward to using the browser to find information.

Apparently you've never done Kingsmouth Code, then. That or you've memorized The Bible.

.. But in a good way.

• Sameer1979Sameer1979 Member Posts: 362
    Originally posted by botrytis

The MMO part doesn't show anywhere, except for fighting over quest mobs/items and general chat.

It is a single player game because you like to play it like one. Just how people complain that Rift and Tera are single players too. Infact players complaing about every single MMO these days that it is a single player game. Is it games fault ? nope.

Don't expect developers to hold ur hand and push you towards grouping, those days are gone. Blame your own play style and lack of inititaive to group with others.

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035
    Originally posted by Sameer1979

Don't expect developers to hold ur hand and push you towards grouping, those days are gone. Blame your own play style and lack of inititaive to group with others.

I think you have it backwards.

Back in the day you had a lot of content that was too hard to solo, and finding a group required footwork and personal commitment. Nowadays everything is soloable, and the little group-content there is has an LFD/LFG tool and is *totally* hand-holding.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

Originally posted by GTwander

I think you have it backwards.

Back in the day you had a lot of content that was too hard to solo, and finding a group required footwork and personal commitment. Nowadays everything is soloable, and the little group-content there is has an LFD tool and is *totally* hand-holding.

Depends to what extent you can solo. Old games forced you into grouping by putting artifical road blocks in progression.

These days devs give you an option, and yes options are good. For example i have been playing with my brother sicne headstart. Even though kingsmouth being a starting area u don't need to group, once in savage coast and beyond, grouping is much better option as i couldn't just mindlessly blow my way through progression. Soloing is slower and harder later on but doable, while some other missions and areas are just hopeless for soloers.

A good MMO is the one which gives its players options to level in manner they like. I can pretty much solo in GW2 all the way till level cap, but i choose not to and play with others. But is anything stopping me from soloing and hit lvl 80? nope.

• m0ckm0ck Member Posts: 27

If you enjoy intelligent and interesting story-telling, TSW is for you. PvE and questing has never been done like this in a MMO and it's up there with great RPGs. It's true that it is in some ways like a single player game. The quests are varied and often interesting and they always fit in the fabric of the overall story that is being told. In other words, they're like a singleplayer-game in that they are much better thought out than what we are used to from MMOs. You still get to do them with friends, however, and you see other people everywhere.

An example: In the last quest I did tonight, I helped a holed-up secluded horror-writer named Sam Krieg snipe zombies from his hide-out in an old lighthouse by marking groups of zombies with flares. I got the flares by killing some named mobs by the coast (and only after investigating how the writing of the author is mysteriously manifesting itself inland from the lighthouse). The quests are combinations of MMO-stables and innovation: kill certain mobs and loot items (flares),  but then are given an interesting twist by being connected to a fleshed out character, by the mature content and by novel interactions.

The world is not for everyone, but everyone should give it a chance. For me, it is gripping. 

Originally posted by m0ck

An example: In the last quest I did tonight, I helped a holed-up secluded horror-writer named Sam Krieg snipe zombies from his hide-out in an old lighthouse by marking groups of zombies with flares. I got the flares by killing some named mobs by the coast (and only after investigating how the writing of the author is mysteriously manifesting itself inland from the lighthouse).

I played that game when it was Alan Wake.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

It is a single player game because you like to play it like one. Just how people complain that Rift and Tera are single players too. Infact players complaing about every single MMO these days that it is a single player game. Is it games fault ? nope.

With Rift, especially with the Zone events, you can't play single player. And no I don't like single player games, I prefer MMO's but this game is just like TOR - no reason to group unless you are at a dungeon.

So don't tell me what I like or do because it is obvious you don't understand. TSW FEELS like an Single Player Game. The controls feel like a console game. I don't have a console so why would I like those controls?

The controls feel like a console game.

Trust me, I think less people would be bitching about the mediocre combat if that was the case...

I really think the game could benefit from an auto-attack feature similar to FE/DDO. You know, keep cursor on zombie > hold left-trigger. They want you to be mobile, but expect you to count out *one* *two* and tap out hotbar actions while in motion. The whole combat ideology should have failed during conception.

• RyowulfRyowulf Member UncommonPosts: 664

I think he means "Console" in the sense of having just a few combat options (7), where as a typical pc mmo will have many more.

• wrightstufwrightstuf Member UncommonPosts: 659

Yes, it is.

With Rift, especially with the Zone events, you can't play single player. And no I don't like single player games, I prefer MMO's but this game is just like TOR - no reason to group unless you are at a dungeon.

So don't tell me what I like or do because it is obvious you don't understand. TSW FEELS like an Single Player Game. The controls feel like a console game. I don't have a console so why would I like those controls?

I can not solo zone events in Rift but i can continue to ignore it and solo? yes? just like in any other MMO in TSW too you can solo by avoiding hard content and just focusing on the easier part.

Like i said before you want to play it like single player doesn't mean it is a single player MMO. I perfectly understand. And what has console controls got anything to do with our discussion?

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
    Originally posted by nerrollus

Originally posted by Styles755
    I've played various MMO's since the beginning of DAOC, with PVP being my main priority. Is PVP decent at all? Is it open world PVP or tiny minimap PVP sessions? Is this game worth the subscription or does it feel like a single player game with some MMO features thrown in, e.g. SWTOR? Thanks.

For me it's the game I've been waiting for since Asheron's Call 1. Modern, skill based, no levels, with some horror added in. Hell, it even got a good solid jump scare out of me yesterday. I don't really do a lot of PvP, but the battlegrounds are fun. I don't really like world PvP while I'm trying to level.

ding ding ding for me!

dont know why everyone bashes the combat, it feels just as good if not better to me then GW2 and better then wow/rift/war etc. Being able to cast and use skills on movement, double tap dodging all adds a little extra.

• kartanakartana Member UncommonPosts: 148

I hate fetch quest games like Tera etc.
    So I need someone that has played the beta and can answer me this:

1. Can you play this game just for 1 or 2 hours per day and still have fun?
    2. Is this game worth the 25 bucks I would have to play?

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    Originally posted by Styles755

I've played various MMO's since the beginning of DAOC, with PVP being my main priority. Is PVP decent at all? Is it open world PVP or tiny minimap PVP sessions? Is this game worth the subscription or does it feel like a single player game with some MMO features thrown in, e.g. SWTOR? Thanks.

IF your going to play it just for the PVP alone then I would say no...

Dont get me wrong the pvp is great in this game and the persistant zone is capable of having 150v150v150 maybe more cant remember what funcom said in the end... so yes its quite large scale and the fights can be great fun.. Your faction gets different bonuses for keeping control of different areas so can actually help you in the rest of the game..

If you want to play the rest of the game, well you will have to be competitive then i would say TSW is well worth the sub as for me its the best themepark out on the market and i dont see anything coming along that will be any better..

So yes the game as a hole is worth subbing to :)

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

The combat is like the post written about it here on the forums. You are basically just spamming a couple buttons over and over. The skill wheel tends to repeat itself over and over. With a lot of useless skills. For instance you will encounter a skill on a higher ring that is same as on lower and it does less damage. So why would you even bother with it?

What else did it say? did it exploit a state? does it do additional utility? is it a different type
    In any case i would like to see a link to the skill in question.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• dadante666dadante666 Member UncommonPosts: 402
  • NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by dadante666
     Worth Subscribing? NO

Care to elaborate why?

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• nerrollusnerrollus Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 214

Originally posted by Maitrader
    Originally posted by Atlan99 Originally posted by muthax Originally posted by Atlan99  
    If you are spamming 2 buttons you are doing something wrong. You are ignoring ynergies between weapons and state effects. Some skills in the wheel do less damage than lower ones but add effects, change states and generally work in synergy with other skills. You have to build different gear sets with different skills depending on the situation. Oh and not to mention you can equip passives from weapons you don't have equipped and use them as 'bridge passives' between weapons that have zero synergy
    Yeah Yeah I'm doing it wrong. Blah Blah. Compared to the 30+ keybinds in Swtor. This is cakewalk. It's just the nature of the system. Do I occasionally throw up a barrier or throw in a stun? Yes. But for the most part my damage is two buttons. 
    The days of the 30+ keybindings is coming to a very quick end.. the age of the 7 - 8 skills is upon us. Choose your moves and focus, 30+ keybinds is a dated, archaic model :)

I'm glad too ... I freaking hate having 6 skill bars full of skills that are all just different variations of the same thing. I really like only have 7 and having to make choices depending on what you're doing. Cluttered UI's drive me nuts..