Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

how free the free-to-play games really are?

I've just realised that I'm spending a way too much on the free-to-play games. It's like... 10 euro paysafe voucher there, 10 euro here and in the end I have lots of fun playing the LotR online, for example, but it's not for free anymore.

What about you guys? What free-to-play games do you like? Is there something out there I've missed? :)

Comments

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

I liked Vindictus until I changed ISPs and can no longer play it, never spent a dime and got all I could ever want out of it... well, besides all the sexy underwear I'm missing out on. I hada choice to spend an NX card on it or Mabinogi, and I ended up spending it in Mabi - a good game with terrible CS restrictions. Should have spent it in Vind... or neither of them, considering the situation I'm in with my account atm.

Psh.

~I can no longer play Vind because changing ISPs flagged my account for a verification email, which was sent to a defunct address I can no longer access - so the whole thing is in limbo now.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• JabasJabas Member UncommonPosts: 1,249

About title:

When a game is really F2P means it can be played 100% free or spend a fortune on the game, its player choise.

About OP:

You mentioned LOTRO but this game is not really F2P, its s tricky model.

Edit: forgot to answer the last question, i really like the F2P model of L2, Its really free.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

If you PVE in a F2P PVP game, avoiding the shop is quite easy.  Crush your enemies... only 37.50.  Uhm, no thanks.

PVE oriented games tend to have shops that make it harder to avoid impulse items like mounts on sale for half price or shiny gear with great stats.  RoM and AOC are two I spend money in rather frequently.

I guess it depends on the game.  My favs are RoM and Shaiya.  AOC was awesome in Tortage but faded fast after.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

"Welcome to the real world" :)

That's exactly why the whole industry moving slowly towards f2p... A lot of people spend more through microtransactions, without even realizing it.

As for LotRO, actually their model IS free-to-play (with some slight glances at pay-to-win lately). If you're a former subscriber, and don't plan to play pvmp, then you almost should switch to premium, and play free (i did that as well... sorry Turbine :) ).  If you're a newcomer, then it's a bit trickier, but with some grinding it's still manageable to play free (i know a guy on Whitywindle who is on a f2p kin, since grinding TP together is much easier)

For the question: it depends on the actual model the game in question choose, because f2p is not a strict definition, there are a lot of different f2p models. You should read the details and fine print to see, wheter your game is really free, or just slightly free... or not at all.

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

It totally depends on the game and its particular implementation of the cash shop.  Some allow you to enjoy all vital aspects of the game for free; others severely inhibit players from proceeding reasonably until they make certain cash shop purchases.  Totally depends on the game.  Basically, once you find you have to spend more than a sub fee just to enjoy the game, I'd consider it a horrible f2p model.  On the other hand, if the basics of the game are playable entirely for free, but the cash shop features an abundance of appealing vanity items that people who have money to spend want to splurge on, I think that is an amazing system.  The game becomes funded by people who most adequately have the means to fund it, while everyone, regardless of financial background, gets to play. 

Personally, my dealings with f2p games have been limited--mostly to League of Legends and Dragons Nest.  I think LoL's model is superb.  I've gotten hundreds upon hundreds of hours of enjoyment out of the game and have spent a grand total of under $20 to date.  I dappled in LotRO and AoC after they went f2p, but not enough to make a fair assessment. 

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035
    Originally posted by Po_gg

If you're a newcomer, then it's a bit trickier, but with some grinding it's still manageable to play free (i know a guy on Whitywindle who is on a f2p kin, since grinding TP together is much easier)

Interesting way of looking at it, because in a sense, you can make a game out of squeezing out TPs across DDO and LotRO.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

I know... honestly the concept gives me the creeps, I don't like grinding at all... and it's somewhat pointless, i mean, let's say my buddy makes 300 tp in a day (and even he admits, that after it he can't look at LotRO for a few days, it's so boring). 300 is about 3$. For a day's pointless grind. I'd rather spend those 3$ for buying the TP, then i have a whole day for actual gameplay :)

But we're not all the same, and who am i to judge, right? Since I never bought TP before either... :)

(I dropped from vip to premium after they dragged us over the pond from Codies under Turbine, since then I only logged back for the festivals. I bought RoI but so far didn't set my furry hobbit foot on Dunland... and I haven't decided yet, whether I buy RoR or not)

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

It really does depend on the game and their specific model.

The worst one I know is EQ. You only get to choose from 4 classes (out of 15) and 4 races (out of 16). Just to play something other than a warrior, rogue, cleric, or wizard, you pay right off the bat. Don't feel like playing a gnome, barbarian, erudite, or human? Spend more cash. A lot of the basic game is cash-shopped.

I did play Vindictus and Dragon's Nest for awhile for free. They just did not hold my interest.

Wizard101's "free game" is what many games have gone to. Free up to certain level (level 9 for Wizard101). That does not even get you out of the starting city. But you can play and delete to your heart's content. It is more of a free trial than free to play.

In general, I avoid free to play games.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005
    Originally posted by Po_gg

I know... honestly the concept gives me the creeps, I don't like grinding at all... and it's somewhat pointless, i mean, let's say my buddy makes 300 tp in a day (and even he admits, that after it he can't look at LotRO for a few days, it's so boring). 300 is about 3$. For a day's pointless grind. I'd rather spend those 3$ for buying the TP, then i have a whole day for actual gameplay :)

Yeah. It is like that on purpose.

I frequently encountered in cash shop games things like:

"Hey. I can buy this for 5 $ or grind it for 10 hours" 

At first I was "well I will not work my ass off for few cents / h".

But then I thought "well spending money inside of computer game to get things I want is really not fun at all.  Neither is playing for hours, days or weeks to something when I could get it for 15 $ instead".

Kinda when I realized I don't wanna play like that. So I stopped.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

It depends on the game and what extras appeal to you. In the past couple years, I've spent about 20 dollars on DDO and 10 on Vindictus. Have enjoyed both games tremendously and never felt I *needed* to spend anything. On the other hand, there's Combat Arms where I just really enjoy buying perm weapons and I've spent about 150-250 dollars there over the past four years of playing. Just like any other hobby - tabletop gaming, sports, collectibles - it's all up to how much the extras are worth to you. 

If you're spending money and you feel it's not worth it or that it's too much... why are you spending it? There are literally hundreds of F2P games out there. Find one you enjoy playing for free or one where you enjoy spending the money. :) 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342
    Originally posted by AlBQuirky

The worst one I know is EQ. You only get to choose from 4 classes (out of 15) and 4 races (out of 16). Just to play something other than a warrior, rogue, cleric, or wizard, you pay right off the bat. Don't feel like playing a gnome, barbarian, erudite, or human? Spend more cash. A lot of the basic game is cash-shopped.

I did play Vindictus and Dragon's Nest for awhile for free. They just did not hold my interest.

Wizard101's "free game" is what many games have gone to. Free up to certain level (level 9 for Wizard101). That does not even get you out of the starting city. But you can play and delete to your heart's content. It is more of a free trial than free to play.

Not totally true, if you already have those characters and classes from an earlier sub and they are on your account you don't have to pay to unlock the races and classes. Other than that though, I hate the lockdown they have on classes and races. 

Luckily I have my high elf ranger back in Vanguard so if they stay true to form I will be able to play that toon when it goes free to play.

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• rdrakkenrdrakken Member Posts: 426
    Originally posted by MightyBee

I've just realised that I'm spending a way too much on the free-to-play games. It's like... 10 euro paysafe voucher there, 10 euro here and in the end I have lots of fun playing the LotR online, for example, but it's not for free anymore.

What about you guys? What free-to-play games do you like? Is there something out there I've missed? :)

LoTRo is not F2P its Pay trap.

Any game claiming to be F2P yet has something like a VIP account where everything is "unlocked" is not F2P, its paytrap.

A real F2P games content is 100% free...they make their money via selling items in a shop.

Vindictus, Runes of Magic, Atlantica Online, Allods, Aion...all free and many of them are far better than most current subscription based games.

P.S. Avoid the paytrap games like LoTRo, EQ2, AoC, City of Heroes...they werent worth a sub...sure not worth the trap.

• fahadjafarfahadjafar Member Posts: 44

f2p..hmm...never played any true f2p game but i heard that lineage 2 and aion f2p games that are run by ncsoft are truely f2p. i never liked lineage 2 so never tried to play and i tired to play aion but the server queue..well i'd rather pay 15$ a month than waiting in 3223 position in queue.

Originally posted by AlBQuirky

AoC does the same (4 classes out of 12), and they set up their prices in store to give you a clear message: subscription is our way :) (no other game has items priced 3-4000 points, f.e. in LotRO the whole RoI extension was ~3500... an extension, not a mere character only unlock...)

City of Heroes uses a finer hint to subscription: you can play the whole game for free, only without a few minor things, such as vault / AH / direct player trade / mail attachments... good luck to loot everything for yourself, and vendor trash the rare drops what you can't use at the moment :) and there's no unlock for that in the store, only renting option (f.e. 'vault usage 30 days'). So you can subscribe, or you can buy points and buy unlocks every month... tricky system

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739

I've played f2p games since about 2005 and have only spent any money on one of them (90 bucks over a 2 year span)...... To me they are a way better way to play because yoiu get to try before you buy.......I find it hilarious that some people feel "forced" to spend money in a f2p game.

• LissylLissyl Member UncommonPosts: 271

Aion is prolly the free-est f2p out there.  There is literally nothing you'll ever need to buy.  However, you do have the pvp players to worry about.  Now, if you like that sort of thing, then that's great.  It eventually drove me away, though.  It's sad...Aion was amazingly fun for me until the mid40's when I really needed to go to Heiron.  Heiron killed that game for me, and it's just one zone.  Stealth classes in pvp are typically harsh to begin with because every ganker chooses them.  Put two of them in and it's just a nightmare.

DDO is pretty free too if you don't mind grinding some.  You can earn the entire game through Turbine Points that are freely given.  It'll take a while, but if you're adamant about not spending a dime it can be done.  Those are the two best ones I know of.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

aion is f2p!and is a aaa title!

• AsamofAsamof Member UncommonPosts: 824

games like LOTRO are considered freemium instead of F2P.

you would think that they would be the same thing, but not quite

freemium usually gives you only so much of the games content, with the rest needing to be unlocked. it's basically a glorified demo. occasionally the devs will throw you a bone here and there, but there will be a point where you'll want to start buying crap

F2P is usually as the name implies. occasionally a greedy company will design game mechanics that encourage you to buy from their shop, but it's never anything like unlocking zones/instances/quests (that you would see in freemium)

personally I hate the term freemium, it's misleading to a lot of players. I guess it sounds better than limited demo 

• freegamesfreegames Member UncommonPosts: 240

Free 2 Play games are never free, they just rely on Elephantos customers that draw in 90% of their income from 10% or less of the population buying virtual goods.

Think it is somewhere near 2% of their players pay for almost 98% of the game.

The F2P game I liked the most is probably TF2, but before the million hats and unbalanced items.

• AusareAusare Member Posts: 850
    I like how people think a company is greedy because it is trying to make money.
  • PanthienPanthien Member UncommonPosts: 559
    Originally posted by Ausare
    I like how people think a company is greedy because it is trying to make money.

Largely because people dont realise there is a huge difference betwine a free to play game and a free game.

• martinsmeltmartinsmelt Member Posts: 5

there are not really fre games at all

• LithuanianLithuanian Member UncommonPosts: 540

I play Istaria and it is really F2P - no item shop, no possibility to buy advancement to certain level.  Yes, if you want other races than human and want a land plot - you should consider paying, but if you are satisfied with human and no land - you can experience 100% of game content. Therefore I'm satisfied and consider this game to be F2P, not B2W.

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088
    Originally posted by rdrakken

LoTRo is not F2P its Pay trap.

Any game claiming to be F2P yet has something like a VIP account where everything is "unlocked" is not F2P, its paytrap.

A real F2P games content is 100% free...they make their money via selling items in a shop.

Vindictus, Runes of Magic, Atlantica Online, Allods, Aion...all free and many of them are far better than most current subscription based games.

P.S. Avoid the paytrap games like LoTRo, EQ2, AoC, City of Heroes...they werent worth a sub...sure not worth the trap.

In LOTRO you can unlock everything if you have the time and stamina to farm Turbine Points and that IMO is trully free to play.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Thats the entire point to the f2p system, you spend lots in the cash shops and usually a lot more than you would with a sub game...

Companies are out to make money funny enough.. they are not going to give you somthing totally free otherwise they would be out of business..