Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Coming back for patch 1.5...

After the major debacle of 1.2 and the lackluster offerings of 1.3, I have made a decision. If nothing gets majorly broken by thr time 1.5 comes, I will come back to the game. My main issue continues to be the slow and anemic improvement of the game, so I figure, just on a hunch, that by patch 1.5 the game might deliver the game ob a level I would be happy with.

If the game goes buy to play (like single player games are), I will cime back sooner.

If the game goes F2P, I may not come back at all. I view F2P as a short-lived endeavor that gives games new life for a time, but kills the fun when they raise prices (see DDO Underdark, Champions Online, Age of Conan.)

Anyway, thanks for reading my rambling post. My question is, are any of you taking a wait-and- see approach as well?

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

Comments

• BardusBardus Member Posts: 460
    Originally posted by Souldrainer
    After the major debacle of 1.2 and the lackluster offerings of 1.3, I have made a decision. If nothing gets majorly broken by thr time 1.5 comes, I will come back to the game. My main issue continues to be the slow and anemic improvement of the game, so I figure, just on a hunch, that by patch 1.5 the game might deliver the game ob a level I would be happy with. If the game goes buy to play (like single player games are), I will cime back sooner. If the game goes F2P, I may not come back at all. I view F2P as a short-lived endeavor that gives games new life for a time, but kills the fun when they raise prices (see DDO Underdark, Champions Online, Age of Conan.) Anyway, thanks for reading my rambling post. My question is, are any of you taking a wait-and- see approach as well?
    For me, I think the very core of the game's design is broken beyond repair. Total lack of customer respect and broken promises on the few they have made, along with the game is just fundamentally bad gives me little to no hope. My wait and see approach is hoping they do the humane thing and put it out of it's misery and some other company that actually cares about it's products and customers pick up the IP and make a game deserving the name Star Wars.

• GoromhirGoromhir Member UncommonPosts: 463
    Originally posted by Bardus
    After the major debacle of 1.2 and the lackluster offerings of 1.3, I have made a decision. If nothing gets majorly broken by thr time 1.5 comes, I will come back to the game. My main issue continues to be the slow and anemic improvement of the game, so I figure, just on a hunch, that by patch 1.5 the game might deliver the game ob a level I would be happy with. If the game goes buy to play (like single player games are), I will cime back sooner. If the game goes F2P, I may not come back at all. I view F2P as a short-lived endeavor that gives games new life for a time, but kills the fun when they raise prices (see DDO Underdark, Champions Online, Age of Conan.) Anyway, thanks for reading my rambling post. My question is, are any of you taking a wait-and- see approach as well?
    For me, I think the very core of the game's design is broken beyond repair. Total lack of customer respect and broken promises on the few they have made, along with the game is just fundamentally bad gives me little to no hope. My wait and see approach is hoping they do the humane thing and put it out of it's misery and some other company that actually cares about it's products and customers pick up the IP and make a game deserving the name Star Wars.

Bardus you name it.  

i think the whole leading development staff is the problem, these people are to old for the todays game market, they want everything super optimized and balanced. No class must have anything special. I saw the leading developer in a interview, hes to old, he looked like above 40+ years old to me. No wonder SWTOR becomes more boring with every patch.

You know, rare cool spike DPS or spike Heals are fun and not overpowered its like a critical, critical. No reason to flatten everything out. All the numbers in Swtor are flat and cut , they call it balanced. 

These developers will continue to favor PvP whiners and loose more players day by day..........

As if there are no PvE players that never PvP that suffer from all the stupid PvP balance.

PvP balancing is a big reason many PvE people left. BioWares responsibles ignore that...

• YalexyYalexy Member UncommonPosts: 1,058

They can do what they want. SWTOR is a dead game allready.

It was fun for the four to five month I've played the game (4 chars at LvL 50 with a fully modded set of Rakata-gear), but that's where I leave it.

• Dahkot72Dahkot72 Member Posts: 261

Implementing some sort of massive bg/world pvp zone that actually works , in other words completely rehauling PVP and actually having a Galactic War would have been the one thing that would have made me resub and play it.

Now with GW2 coming out at end of Aug I honestly think they should abandon trying to fix PVP at all and truly focus on story telling , pseudo single player with multi added etc aspects of the game as I don't think they will be able to hold any pvp players after that.

Shame too , but I don't see them actually pulling off what would be required to overhaul PVP. They need to focus on the one thing they did decent , even if its not my cup of tea.

• AmbrosiaAmorAmbrosiaAmor Member Posts: 915
    I might try SWTOR in December if they have some special 1-year anniversary welcome back program. I'm not sure if I would come back before patch 1.5 to be honest.

• MMOSavantMMOSavant Member Posts: 170

I'll come back for 1.5 as well, because by then it will be F2P.

• AhnogAhnog Member UncommonPosts: 240

Come back now...the water's fine.

Ahnog

Hokey religions are no replacement for a good blaster at your side.

• Byne25Byne25 Member Posts: 41

I am taking a wait and see approach but in a different way. I am actually subbed right now and play a lot. I am waiting to see what direction the game goes. The small updates have been enough of an indication that BW is trying to get the things us players like in game. Right now there is no other game I am interested in enough to pull me away. I usually play a different game and return later to see if its any good but the market is really weak out there right now so I might as well stick it out. Its not a horrible game just needs some work.

• 4getting20094getting2009 Member UncommonPosts: 178
    Originally posted by Portland

Bardus you name it.  

i think the whole leading development staff is the problem, these people are to old for the todays game market, they want everything super optimized and balanced. No class must have anything special. I saw the leading developer in a interview, hes to old, he looked like above 40+ years old to me. No wonder SWTOR becomes more boring with every patch.

You know, rare cool spike DPS or spike Heals are fun and not overpowered its like a critical, critical. No reason to flatten everything out. All the numbers in Swtor are flat and cut , they call it balanced. 

These developers will continue to favor PvP whiners and loose more players day by day..........

As if there are no PvE players that never PvP that suffer from all the stupid PvP balance.

PvP balancing is a big reason many PvE people left. BioWares responsibles ignore that...

Considering he  is 3 years older than the average age of the MMO gamer, I kindly disagree with his age being the issue. The issue is his experience and him projecting that onto this project. Look at his work on Warhammer Online to get a taste.

• PelaajaPelaaja Member Posts: 697
    Originally posted by Byne25

I am taking a wait and see approach but in a different way. I am actually subbed right now and play a lot. I am waiting to see what direction the game goes. The small updates have been enough of an indication that BW is trying to get the things us players like in game. Right now there is no other game I am interested in enough to pull me away. I usually play a different game and return later to see if its any good but the market is really weak out there right now so I might as well stick it out. Its not a horrible game just needs some work.

They could've done those things before they even released. There was numerous betas and test sessions to get it done.

You know the horse isn't going to get up anymore, why beat it?

• Sameer1979Sameer1979 Member Posts: 362

Regarding your signature....Repopulation is a SWG clone.

/chuckles

• ragz45ragz45 Member UncommonPosts: 810
    Originally posted by Dahkot72

Implementing some sort of massive bg/world pvp zone that actually works , in other words completely rehauling PVP and actually having a Galactic War would have been the one thing that would have made me resub and play it.

Now with GW2 coming out at end of Aug I honestly think they should abandon trying to fix PVP at all and truly focus on story telling , pseudo single player with multi added etc aspects of the game as I don't think they will be able to hold any pvp players after that.

Shame too , but I don't see them actually pulling off what would be required to overhaul PVP. They need to focus on the one thing they did decent , even if its not my cup of tea.

The hero engine simply can not handle this type of thing.  The engine is designed to make things look very pretty with a minimal number of players moving about on your screen.  Once the engine has to track 25-35 or more players at once.  It bogs down and you get Ilum.

The only way they could get a massive bg/world pvp in SWTOR would be to scrap the Hero engine and start new.  Which is impossible.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898

I'd return for F2P or B2P.  I have a feeling the only thing that will make me want to come back would be massively multiplayer space combat.  I figure at teh rate they are going we can expect it sometime in 2015.

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

I gave them 6 months, and so far they not showed me anything other than they are incompetent.

SWTOR is not worth a sub, and I refuse to pay them a sub, for yet another crappy star wars game, that is not even star wars like.  Whoever came up with most of the armor designs, and decided to use the hero engine should be shot.

• SaxonbladeSaxonblade Member Posts: 275

It would take a lot to ever go back to that game,and the sad thing is, it would take simple changes to the game. I just do not know if they can make the changes I am talking about to make it feel more like Star Wars, for example:

1. Bounty Hunter mission, I don't mean player missions but simple missions you could do as a BH to bring the feel of being a Bounty Hunter into the game.

2. Better Space Combat, can they to a JTL type expansion I don't know but it would be nice.

3. I touched upon BH missions but I think it would be cool to do class missions as well, like a Jedi needs to go to a village and find the source of a illness taking the village, things like that.

4. More of an open world type feel to the game, everything felt so railed to your specific storyline but then it just ends with very little class interaction, maybe make harder type storyline quest that would require multiple classes to complete.

5. PvP, just needs a full re work with a clear direction, they just put Ilum on the back burner and never replaced it with anything, I am sure they could do something like the RvR lakes in WAR, that would make PvP fun, IMHO that is.

6. Make the cities actually part of the social experience, right now they are quest hubs and nothing else everyone hangs at the fleet.

These are just a few ideas whether or not they could ever or would ever want to implement these type of ideas is the big question. I guess I could go on and on I did not even touch crafting, but I think the horse has been beaten pretty hard.

• BardusBardus Member Posts: 460
    Originally posted by Sameer1979

/chuckles

My signature? Clone? You not read what my sig says? It says "this is a clone free environment". Now if you will, click on my sig and do a little research and tell me where the cloning is. You'll find some simularities to SWG and that is on purpose but not a clone at all. Come back and reply to me when you find the cloning in case I need to rewrite my sig.

/chuckles? Like you think your insulting me bring up SWG. The very fact The Repopulation is bring back some sandbox has me doing /halleluyah.

• GameboyMarcGameboyMarc Member UncommonPosts: 395

It's dead Jim?

Doh! wrong game.

• Oph8Oph8 Member Posts: 177

Just let SWTOR die. Going back and forth wishing for the ultimate Star Wars MMO just isn't going to happen. Maybe Lucasarts will give it to a more competent developer to get the job done or do the game themselves. I can wait another 5 or 6 years for something that's going to kick ass.

SWTOR is shaping up to look exactly like WarHammer online.

"Everything is mine and your woman too"

• CharlizdCharlizd Member UncommonPosts: 923
    Originally posted by Portland

Bardus you name it.  

So do you want some kid frsh out of Nerd school to develop a game that he would probably know nothing of the lore about?

Not meaning to be rude but you say he looked over 40 and is too old? O.o If anything i would think he is probably the perfect age to be developing and making a game that is based around a Story as old as he is, and besides that 40 too old, seriously (not 40 yet myself but geez really 40 is old???)

Andrew "Charlizd" Phippen | Lead World Builder | The Saga of Lucimia MMORPG
  • jedensuscgjedensuscg Member Posts: 209

F2P is not always a short lived endeavor.  Some games do quite well after trasitioning ot F2P.  Not sure your comment on DDO, but I really enjoyed DDO, and LOTRO is still a fantastic game, even with being F2P.  Of course LOTRO is not a TRUE F2P as is still has the option to pay the same 14.99 a month and get unfettered acess to the entire game (minus any expansions you have not paid for) and a stipend of points to be used to buy store items each month.

• Crunchy22Crunchy22 Member Posts: 51

I got a good 3 months out of the game, more than i thought i would.  Wasnt a SW fan to begin with so i figured id dislike ti after a month.

If they made endgame PVE easier to get into...normily i dont mind shouting LFG or LFM but for some reason it was impossible to get a proper group even when the fatman server was jam packed with endgame characters...

If they fixed ilum and gave me the option to only pvp in huttball (possibly the best incarnation of BG CTF in any mmorpg....i knwo most wont agree with me here but i absolutely loved huttball)

And if they possibly added more levels, some more planets without a linear path like the origional content was.

Add 2 new classes.

If they did all this i would seriously consider returning...though i wont be looking for any other game for at least the next 4-6 months.

I left the game burned out, sick of all the pvp queueing for battlegrounds i hated, and sick of fighting to find a group in guild and pubs...when finally i get a group the instance is boring and buggy.  I did leave on good terms, there was a lot about the game i did like.

Not sure where the game stands now, havent really followed it since leaving.  There was a lot that needed fixing however.

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857
    Originally posted by jedensuscg

F2P is not always a short lived endeavor.  Some games do quite well after trasitioning ot F2P.  Not sure your comment on DDO, but I really enjoyed DDO, and LOTRO is still a fantastic game, even with being F2P.  Of course LOTRO is not a TRUE F2P as is still has the option to pay the same 14.99 a month and get unfettered acess to the entire game (minus any expansions you have not paid for) and a stipend of points to be used to buy store items each month.

The LOTRO model sounds good... but I was looking into AOC and it looks bad... and DDO seems overpriced since the new Underdark expansion came out. The latter comes from customer accounts. Someone else said here and I agree, that the game should be buy to play, (you buy the box... no item shops or other fees... KOTOR 1 style.)

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

• Sameer1979Sameer1979 Member Posts: 362
    Originally posted by Sameer1979

/chuckles

My signature? Clone? You not read what my sig says? It says "this is a clone free environment". Now if you will, click on my sig and do a little research and tell me where the cloning is. You'll find some simularities to SWG and that is on purpose but not a clone at all. Come back and reply to me when you find the cloning in case I need to rewrite my sig.

/chuckles? Like you think your insulting me bring up SWG. The very fact The Repopulation is bring back some sandbox has me doing /halleluyah.

Why so defensive bro? you think you are the only one following repopulation? and yes it is SWG clone thatis why i found your signature very ironic. 

Also do some research about Archage, it is not just Repopulation that is bringing back sandbox. And what does 'bringing back' even means? sandboxes didn't go out of development and we had some recent release. Now if they were not to your liking that is another issue.

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987

That's cool. I personally put the game try-able at maybe like Update 2.4.

GAME UPDATE 2.4: FREEDOM

Patch Notes

Planets:

-All exhaustion zones have been removed from planetary areas.

-Fixed a design mistake where factions could not play together on planets.

-Introduced Day/Night Cycle to planets in addtion to weather.

The Fleet:

-The Hutt Cartel has destroyed the Fleets. All vendors and entry points moved to the capital cities.

-Certain Flashpoint and Operation entry points are duplicated on different worlds so that both factions can group up for Flashpoints/Operations.

Vendors:

-Many NPC vendors have been removed from the game.

-Vendors that remain can be killed but doing so flags that player for PvP.

-Vendor respawn time is now randomly set from between 20 minutes and 2 days.

Crafting:

-Armormech, Synthweaver, Armstech, Artificer can now make any schematic into an orange through progressive reverse engineering allowing players to use all of the item appearances already in game.

-Cybertech can now also craft multi-person speeders, as well as components for speeders such as armor plating, turbo pods, and directional vanes.

-Level 50 crafting materials now have a quality score that combines with the quality score of subcomponents to determine final quality of items.

PvP:

-All planets now contested between Sith Empire, Republic, and Neutral factions. Players controlling a planetary base and two checkpoints will claim that world for their faction.

-Players bounties now work correctly, and can be taken out on a player of any faction.

Classes:

-Bounty Hunters, Troopers can now use any non-lightsaber weapon without loss of abilities or penalties to damage.

-Smugglers and Imperial Agents can use any non-lightsaber weapon except for Assault Cannon.

-Sith and Jedi characters may now use any lightsaber type, or melee weapon without loss of abilities or penalties to damage.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Anyway, thanks for reading my rambling post. My question is, are any of you taking a wait-and- see approach as well?

Honestly, not really.

As much as I like Star Wars, I also am well aware that when you buy games based on the IP, it's a total crap shoot. Star Wars games have always been extremely hit or miss, and there's still around a ~50% success rate for the franchise.

On top of this, EA has pretty clearly stated that they no longer give a damn about this game. I haven't seen anything from EA, either, that leads me to believe that they are a studio capable of providing the kind of constant support that an MMO really needs. Their entirely business model is based around churning out the same crap over & over, rapid-fire selling, and rolling onto the next project. Simply put, they don't seem to have any interest in long-term projects. They want stuff they can sell quick, make a quick buck, and then they're on to the next thing. They got into SWTOR, because they saw a big cash cow. It turned out to be a not-so-big cash cow, so now they are looking for the next big thing. If SWTOR does manage to somehow turn itself around and become a good game, I'll definitely consider going back. However, that seems like a bit of a pipe dream atm.

Also, consider what's coming down the pipe. There's about a half-dozen AAA MMOs coming out within the next 2years or so. That's an insane amount of games, some of which look pretty damned good. I just don't see SWTOR being able to fend off that much competition, and as soon as EA realizes this (if they haven't already), you can expect to see your already slow progress on the game being slowed to a snail's pace. Updates will be just as lackluster, but probably will take twice as long,