Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Overheating computer help plox? :P

KilawuaKilawua Member Posts: 52

I have a laptop which overheats even when i play for example Runescape. >,< It didnt always do this.  Itll suddenly drop fps dramatically then go back to normal, and continues this cycle. Anyone know anything that could help? Thank you! ^^

Comments

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919

Well when something similar happened to me in the past, what I did is elevated it slightly.  I used four drink coasters to prop up each corner of the bottom of the laptop.  This let's air in at the base where sometimes there's vents for exhaust or what have you.

Besides that, there are cooling stands you can buy that have a usb powered fan built into a small tray you leave under your laptop.  More active cooling than what I did, but can make all the difference.

• dronfwardronfwar Member Posts: 316

Could be dust.

had to open my laptop last week to clean it because of overheating. unscrew the cooling fan and use a fuzzy brush or a qtip.

could void the warranty.

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

I like the CO2 cans, You just point and boom a cloud of dust puffs out of your GPU.

• ctshamectshame Member Posts: 104

If I were you this is what I would do. First I would elevate it to see if its just bad airflow which may be the case. Secondly I would try cleaning it regardless of if it appears dirty or not. If neither of these work for you, then I would move on to the next step which would be listening for the fan inside of your laptop. If you do not hear one or hear a high pitch noise your fan motor may have gone or may be going bad and will need to be replaced. Lastly, I would look into getting a usb fan for your laptop. These drastically help with cooling laptops down.

Best of luck with your problem, hope you can find the solution! Remember google is your friend! lol :P

• miguksarammiguksaram Member UncommonPosts: 835
    Originally posted by dronfwar

Could be dust.

had to open my laptop last week to clean it because of overheating. unscrew the cooling fan and use a fuzzy brush or a qtip.

could void the warranty.

^ This.  Laptops are fairly notorious for significant "unexplained" drops in performance that can almost certainly be traced back to dust.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348

I would also suspect that dust is the culprit.

• KilawuaKilawua Member Posts: 52

Thanks guys. :P Ive had a laptop cooler for a while and I still cant play the games I ued to. I used to be able to play D3 with my cooler and not have many performance drops, but now after 10 minutes, my computer just shuts off. I'll try to investigate the dust though, thanks a lot. ^^

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Many laptops have a keyboard that's relatively easy to remove (usually just a couple of hidden screws and the entire keyboard assembly flips up) - and the cooling fans are usually easily visible once the keyboard is propped up. Dust/dirt/cathair are notorious problems, especially in older machines that don't get cleaned regularly. Laptop fans are also prone to just failing - this may be the case particularly if you can't hear it spin up and screaming when you notice the slowdowns (it should sound like a dust buster or mini jet engine going off inside your case).