Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bad Interenet a Bannable Offense

2»

Comments

• genkiselgenkisel Member UncommonPosts: 22

in most pvp games yes you would be a sitting duck however in this game it uses the client extrapolate method to deal with lag which when put into effect you see an enemy on screen and shoot at them, they could be on the other side of the map and take damage until you catch up, that in and of itself make this riduculus if anything it should be the do nothing method or the rubberbanding method to fix the issue.

"Its Hot Drop-o-Clock" Clear Skies 3.

• GaendricGaendric Member UncommonPosts: 624

Interesting business model to ban paying customers just because your dev team did a horrible hackjob in development. (or because you are saving costs by doing stuff on the clients that should be done on the server)

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by kadepsyson

Originally posted by Saydien [mod edit] I personally don't enjoy running after people trying to knock them over when they port and lag around may it be due to connection issues or cheats. The effect in many games is the same: A damn annoying game experience for the others involved because the one with inferior connection/computer. The own team gets annoyed because the guy underperforms (in PVE and PVP), the enemy struggles to get the guy dead in PVP. Not to mention that the one with the bad connection will hardly have any actual fun like that either.

It's fine if you are of the "gaming should be everyone no matter what" approach. I personally don't agree in such cases.

So where do you draw the line then?  How many megabits does a connection need before someone is acceptable to group with?  How many Gigahertz should their processor have before they are safe from being banned?

[mod edit]

This is already in practice. Look at ANY computer game and there is a minimum requirement that has to be met to play. Sure, a 56k dial up connection and Windows 95 is where the bar is set now, but some people would like to see a game or two with that bar raised. Do you realize there are people in the world who cannot play some computer games because they do not meet the minimum requirements? There are a lot of Mac users that cannot play some online Windows based games.

There are some gamers who put a lot into their rigs. With most online games, these rigs go to waste.

From a business standpoint, exclusion is bad for business. But if a game or two upped their requirements to play their games and charged more to play them, it would be interesting to see how they fared. I wouldn't play them, but remember, not everyone looks for the same gaming experience as others.

There ya go! Someone could create a gaming studio called Country Club Games.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• Sameer1979Sameer1979 Member Posts: 362

Considering how well FOM is doing and is such a profitable venture, they have the right to ban players with slow internet connection.

When you are on the top you can do anything you want.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

I feel sorry for people who have these types of connections in America to this day. It's ridiculous that our country is so behind the times when it comes to wireless/optical connectivity in our country just because a few execs are too stupid to take companies in the right direction with it.

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919
    Originally posted by AlBQuirky

Originally posted by Saydien [mod edit] I personally don't enjoy running after people trying to knock them over when they port and lag around may it be due to connection issues or cheats. The effect in many games is the same: A damn annoying game experience for the others involved because the one with inferior connection/computer. The own team gets annoyed because the guy underperforms (in PVE and PVP), the enemy struggles to get the guy dead in PVP. Not to mention that the one with the bad connection will hardly have any actual fun like that either.

It's fine if you are of the "gaming should be everyone no matter what" approach. I personally don't agree in such cases.

So where do you draw the line then?  How many megabits does a connection need before someone is acceptable to group with?  How many Gigahertz should their processor have before they are safe from being banned?

[mod edit]

This is already in practice. Look at ANY computer game and there is a minimum requirement that has to be met to play. Sure, a 56k dial up connection and Windows 95 is where the bar is set now, but some people would like to see a game or two with that bar raised. Do you realize there are people in the world who cannot play some computer games because they do not meet the minimum requirements? There are a lot of Mac users that cannot play some online Windows based games.

There are some gamers who put a lot into their rigs. With most online games, these rigs go to waste.

From a business standpoint, exclusion is bad for business. But if a game or two upped their requirements to play their games and charged more to play them, it would be interesting to see how they fared. I wouldn't play them, but remember, not everyone looks for the same gaming experience as others.

There ya go! Someone could create a gaming studio called Country Club Games.

You missed my point.  I meant the people who DO meet the requirements.  What happens when there's a hiccup on the route the internet traffic takes that causes your ping to rise through no fault of your own?  Ban them of course, they're either cheating or poor.  Right?

Edit: Also, about your minimum requirements bit.  Let's take a huge example, World of Warcraft.  This game has minimum requirements listed to play.  However, do you honestly think if you tried connecting to the game with a computer that didn't meet those requirements in some way that they would BAN you for LIFE?  Because that's the issue being discussed in this thread.  Lifetime bannings based on factors that do not involve cheating and may not be the players fault.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • DisdenaDisdena Member UncommonPosts: 1,093

I thought from the title that this would be about someone getting banned from League of Legends for disconnecting from games.

In any case, this is one of those situations where there is most likely more to the story than the OP is telling. I don't know the first thing about FoM other than what's been said in the thread, but this story would make a lot more sense if the ban was due to suspicious network activity (lag spikes at convenient times on a regular basis) rather than just a consistantly high ping. And you would expect the banned player to try to smear the company by telling half the story. We've seen this a million times before.

• Ashen_XAshen_X Member Posts: 363

You missed my point.  I meant the people who DO meet the requirements.  What happens when there's a hiccup on the route the internet traffic takes that causes your ping to rise through no fault of your own?  Ban them of course, they're either cheating or poor.  Right?

I've not seen any indication, in this thread at least, that bans are tossed around for one time, or rare, instances.

When all has been said and done, more will have been said than done.

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919

I got banned from Face of Mankind at one point.  The reason?  "Fly Hack".  The game thought I was using a cheat to fly, when in fact I had simply jumped into the top of a tree in a stairwell and got stuck in it.  If they banned me for that one time occurence, then I can completely believe they'd ban players for "rare instances" of lag.

• stormannnnstormannnn Member Posts: 31
    Originally posted by Kabaal

[mod edit]

When you're playing an online game it should be understood that you need a connection that can support the game. I personally believe that the rule is good as well, why ruin the game for other people when they can't hit you? Why lag so much you can't do your part in the group play? And if your only arguement is that they don't have to play in a group then you're absolutely right, if they're not playing MMORPGS or any other type of online game for the MULTIPLAYER ONLINE part then go play a single player game and everyone wins.

• genkiselgenkisel Member UncommonPosts: 22
    Originally posted by Disdena

I thought from the title that this would be about someone getting banned from League of Legends for disconnecting from games.

In any case, this is one of those situations where there is most likely more to the story than the OP is telling. I don't know the first thing about FoM other than what's been said in the thread, but this story would make a lot more sense if the ban was due to suspicious network activity (lag spikes at convenient times on a regular basis) rather than just a consistantly high ping. And you would expect the banned player to try to smear the company by telling half the story. We've seen this a million times before.

For the most FoM is heavy combat in a quick amount of time and having to follow orders, the ban was because of high ping during a saturday a day that normally sees heavy lag in any case in my area, the day was filled with usualy high combat and the excuse I cant fight because I'm lagging to bad didnt work, so against my better judgement I went into combat with high lag getting killed numerous times I'd fire when I saw an enemy infront of me and see them move the next second and miss, on two rare ocassions I got a lucky kill those two rare ocassions got me banned, first using a knife which they said no one uses but it is used as standard load out for the faction as a tetriary weapon or secondary, the other instance was firing a sniper rifle at an enemy and moving back to avoid incoming fire getting a lucky kill (moderate lag 500ms) those two times got me banned for 3 days, then permamently banned this morning, then IP banned when I fought the permament ban on my account.  Bottom line unless you have really good internet dont even bother palying you'll just get banned for ONE day of review they didnt review me for a week but ONE day During peak hours.

"Its Hot Drop-o-Clock" Clear Skies 3.

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088

Not unheard of, just look at FPS games, when a guy logs in wih 300+ ping, other players starts to vote kick him asap.

So I understand that some MMO also have that policy.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.