Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 release date is PERFECT for English Players

stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720

I have seen a few self entitled threads on this forum complaining that ANet are releasing the game just before college student go back to college, or that they are releasing it on a tuesday.... but....if you ask me 28th August is THE PERFECT DATE.

Not only does releasing on a Tuesday mean that preorders get in on the Saturday before, giving them maximum play time over the weekend before the official launch on Tuesday, but in England Monday 27th August is a Public Holiday! This means people that preordered get to make full use of their 3 day headstart before the official launch on 28th August :)

Good Job Anet! Nice to see English players being treated as 1st class citizens for once in the MMO industry

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

Comments

• StriderXedStriderXed Member Posts: 257

Not sure the release date was made specifically for UK players set in mind, but w/e. More power to you guys.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

I bet the headstart will be on friday, just like all games before, its just so much smarter to do it on a friday, to many advantages not to do it.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• BlindchanceBlindchance Member UncommonPosts: 1,112

I won't be surprised if 28th August means 30th August for Europe ( Thursday is the usual launch day for EU )

• SlickShoesSlickShoes Member UncommonPosts: 1,019
    Originally posted by stragen001

I have seen a few self entitled threads on this forum complaining that ANet are releasing the game just before college student go back to college, or that they are releasing it on a tuesday.... but....if you ask me 28th August is THE PERFECT DATE.

Not only does releasing on a Tuesday mean that preorders get in on the Saturday before, giving them maximum play time over the weekend before the official launch on Tuesday, but in the UK Monday 27th August is a Public Holiday! This means people that preordered get to make full use of their 3 day headstart before the official launch on 28th August :)

Good Job Anet! Nice to see UK players being treated as 1st class citizens for once in the MMO industry

Change UK to England, this is not a holiday in Scotland sadly!

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720
    Originally posted by SlickShoes

Not only does releasing on a Tuesday mean that preorders get in on the Saturday before, giving them maximum play time over the weekend before the official launch on Tuesday, but in the UK Monday 27th August is a Public Holiday! This means people that preordered get to make full use of their 3 day headstart before the official launch on 28th August :)

Good Job Anet! Nice to see UK players being treated as 1st class citizens for once in the MMO industry

Change UK to England, this is not a holiday in Scotland sadly!

Harsh :( comiserations to you my Scottish cousin

Corrected ;)

• FaulknerFaulkner Member UncommonPosts: 108

I am very please, weekend to start and I am being nerdy and taking Monday, Tuesday as vacation days to play.  Woot!

• RazephonRazephon Member UncommonPosts: 628

I kinda wanna know headstart specifics really. Need to book my holiday then :/

Currently waiting for the MMO industry to put out something good.
  • ValuaValua Member Posts: 520

Not only does releasing on a Tuesday mean that preorders get in on the Saturday before, giving them maximum play time over the weekend before the official launch on Tuesday, but in England Monday 27th August is a Public Holiday! This means people that preordered get to make full use of their 3 day headstart before the official launch on 28th August :)

Good Job Anet! Nice to see English players being treated as 1st class citizens for once in the MMO industry

Also for students in the UK we're still off school/college/university :D don't start till September, so have a few weeks to experience the game fully.

I lol'ed when I found out that this doesn't work out so well for American students hahahahahaa ;)

• ZolbZolb Member UncommonPosts: 53

not perfect for me as i will be half way through my holiday in lanzarote!

lucky i have GW1 so a couple of character names saved if the ones i really want are taken.

Originally posted by Zolb

not perfect for me as i will be half way through my holiday in lanzarote!lucky i have GW1 so a couple of character names saved if the ones i really want are taken.

hate to be the bearer of bad news but they are only saved for headstart. if u don't use them before release on 28 august then other ppl can use them

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

Yeah...this line of thinking will last until the first maintenance time.

Then we'll get the whole "second class citizens" schtick for the umpteenth time. Yay for while it lasts though.

Why anyone would be surprised they're releasing it on a Tuesday is beyond me anyways or complain about the timing. Like they wouldn't bitch and curse Anet out if they launched the game before it was ready and then complain about the game being released too early.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• joker007mojoker007mo Member Posts: 712
    Originally posted by Zolb

not perfect for me as i will be half way through my holiday in lanzarote!

lucky i have GW1 so a couple of character names saved if the ones i really want are taken.

hate to be the bearer of bad news but they are only saved for headstart. if u don't use them before release on 28 august then other ppl can use them

i would gather they will allow a grace period or something they stated something about the character being logged in the past few months is what locks your character name there was a developer q/a that they said what they had planned there

• AsboAsbo Member UncommonPosts: 812

Glad to see I was not the only Brit to spot this amazing timing by the bods in charge at Anet...Makes a change to see the rest of the globe moaning for a change and give us a break. Personally I think it's for us being orderly and standing in polite ques all our lives....Justice ;)

Thank God the n00bs in the government didn't cancel this next bank holiday like they been going on about.

Asbo

• eugheuforceeugheuforce Member UncommonPosts: 46

School for most french starts again september 4th, so it's all fine here :d

• PranksterPrankster Member UncommonPosts: 163

Well if its truly good for the English I suppose you can expect a change nearer to release. Right?

Refugee from UO,EQ,AC,AC2,AO,DAOC,L2,SB,HZ,CoH,PT,EQ2,WoW,VG,SWG,EVE,WAR,DF,MO,AI,GA,LOTRO, SWTOR... Gw2 on Deck

• austriacusaustriacus Member UncommonPosts: 618
    Originally posted by Wickedjelly

Yeah...this line of thinking will last until the first maintenance time.

Then we'll get the whole "second class citizens" schtick for the umpteenth time. Yay for while it lasts though.

Why anyone would be surprised they're releasing it on a Tuesday is beyond me anyways or complain about the timing. Like they wouldn't bitch and curse Anet out if they launched the game before it was ready and then complain about the game being released too early.

Even if the game was being released on a friday someone would complain about something, they always do.

• CromicaCromica Member UncommonPosts: 657

No its perfect for everyone because there will finally be an mmo worth playing

• YaosYaos Member UncommonPosts: 153

I live in a sane country that allows people to take time off. You need to get out of England and move to France.

Originally posted by Yaos

I live in a sane country that allows people to take time off. You need to get out of England and move to France.

Erm, we can take time off in England too? I have booked 28th and 29th August off.

And France? Sane? Seriously? By the way, striking is not the same as time off ;)

Edit: From your profile I see you are not French, but A Merkin. So, I assume you were just stirring knowing how much us Brits love the French ;)

• vmopedvmoped Member Posts: 1,708
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

I bet the headstart will be on friday, just like all games before, its just so much smarter to do it on a friday, to many advantages not to do it.

The devs confirmed on twitter that August 25th would be the headstart.... erm... start. 

Link: https://twitter.com/GuildWars2/status/218344207369244672 

So that puts it on Saturday!

Cheers!

MMO Vet since AOL Neverwinter Nights circa 1992. My MMO beat up your MMO. =S