Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General chat spoilers...

Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

many people are continously asking for quest spoilers in general text. I made a habbit of answering their questions, not with solutions but with hints.  This seems to work pretty well for most of them. 

Maybe this is a good tip for others, just ask for a hint in guildchat or a general text, instead of searching for spoilers if you really got stuck.

EDIT.  ;    How many people do know about spoilerfree browsing through the TSWSEARCH engine instead of Google?

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Comments

• Tonin109Tonin109 Member Posts: 201

google is a good spoiler

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by Tonin109

google is a good spoiler

Thats why i use TSWSEARCH instead of Google... i think its a mistake from Funcom not to make TSWsearch the default page instead of Google.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,179

I just wish we could get people to ask for help in the "Help" channel. Right now I play with chat completely off because there were some serious spoilers going on on Grim.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,179
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

google is a good spoiler

Thats why i use TSWSEARCH instead of Google... i think its a mistake from Funcom not to make TSWsearch the default page instead of Google.

I didn't know about TSWSEARCH. Thank you! Was Googling a mystery quest last night and was getting frustrated that the top 10-15 results were walkthroughs.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• RockhideRockhide Member Posts: 155

Not directed at you OP, but can somebody explain to me why people asking for help in chat is so offensive? 

It looks to me like acting offended is merely a chance to show off one's supposedly "superior intellect" by insinuating that somebody who does ask for help is dumber than oneself because "I" didn't have to ask for help.

Somebody asking for help has had ZERO affect on my ability to enjoy figuring out any of the quests in the game.

What has negatively affected my ability to enjoy them is people GIVING the answers in general chat instead of sticking them in a pm.  Just because somebody asks in a public channel doesn't mean you can't pm them.

For my part, I try to pm hints instead of outright answers.  In fact, coming up with hints that will lead them on the way but not reveal too much is part of the fun so far to me ... it's fun to get a pm back that says "Got it!  Thanks!"

At any rate, I'd like to see them add an option to censor out key spoiler words and phrases.  Obviously this won't catch everything, but it could block passwords, codes, things like that, and if somebody beat the spoiler censor, then the intent to spoil would be obvious and the necessary discipline handed down.

• AwDiddumsAwDiddums Member UncommonPosts: 416
    Originally posted by skeaser

I just wish we could get people to ask for help in the "Help" channel. Right now I play with chat completely off because there were some serious spoilers going on on Grim.

This is what I do aswell, it keeps both the spoilers and the inane drivel away from spoiling my gameplay, if I do have to ask for a hint I speak directly with my Cabal.

• AwDiddumsAwDiddums Member UncommonPosts: 416
    Originally posted by Rockhide

Not directed at you OP, but can somebody explain to me why people asking for help in chat is so offensive? 

It looks to me like acting offended is merely a chance to show off one's supposedly "superior intellect" by insinuating that somebody who does ask for help is dumber than oneself because "I" didn't have to ask for help.

Somebody asking for help has had ZERO affect on my ability to enjoy figuring out any of the quests in the game.

What has negatively affected my ability to enjoy them is people GIVING the answers in general chat instead of sticking them in a pm.  Just because somebody asks in a public channel doesn't mean you can't pm them.

For my part, I try to pm hints instead of outright answers.  In fact, coming up with hints that will lead them on the way but not reveal too much is part of the fun so far to me ... it's fun to get a pm back that says "Got it!  Thanks!"

At any rate, I'd like to see them add an option to censor out key spoiler words and phrases.  Obviously this won't catch everything, but it could block passwords, codes, things like that, and if somebody beat the spoiler censor, then the intent to spoil would be obvious and the necessary discipline handed down.

I believe the annoyance for some is that there is a seperate chat channel called "Help" for actual help requests, not just blindly using the General chat channel to call for help/lfg/trade/hold PM convo's out loud/PvP requests etc etc, there are a host of specific chat channels for all of these not just General.

Other than that I agree that it doesn't bother me in the slightest, I have them all turned off anyway except for my Cabal which frankly is the only channel that holds the slightest bit of info that would be of interest to me.

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720

People who are asking for help, normally arent asking for help, they are asking for answers, which completely defeats the entire point of the inveistigation quests, and many others as well.

If you dont want to work out the quests out for yourself, you shouldnt be playing TSW. If you are really stuck, then use the in game browser to look for walkthroughs.

I would urge everyone to NOT post the answers / walthroughs / spoilers for quests into general chat, because it completely ruins those quests for the people that havent done them yet.

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• TerronteTerronte Member Posts: 321
    Originally posted by stragen001

People who are asking for help, normally arent asking for help, they are asking for answers, which completely defeats the entire point of the inveistigation quests, and many others as well.

If you dont want to work out the quests out for yourself, you shouldnt be playing TSW. If you are really stuck, then use the in game browser to look for walkthroughs.

I would urge everyone to NOT post the answers / walthroughs / spoilers for quests into general chat, because it completely ruins those quests for the people that havent done them yet.

Dunno, people like me could give two shakes about the adventure/investigative quests and just want to play the game. I also dont believe it ruins the quests for people that havent done them. Honestly, like the password to a computer...most people would know that off the top of their heads.

TSW is FULL of elitist dont ruin MY game experience people.

---

Also, it's not just grim, I believe general and help channels are combined for all servers.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by skeaser
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

google is a good spoiler

I didn't know about TSWSEARCH. Thank you! Was Googling a mystery quest last night and was getting frustrated that the top 10-15 results were walkthroughs.

They really should have advertised this more, to me its a very important item as i like solving my own puzzles.

• FinnMcCoolFinnMcCool Member Posts: 34
    Originally posted by Terronte

Dunno, people like me could give two shakes about the adventure/investigative quests and just want to play the game. I also dont believe it ruins the quests for people that havent done them. Honestly, like the password to a computer...most people would know that off the top of their heads.

---

Also, it's not just grim, I believe general and help channels are combined for all servers.

Some of us dont want the usual go here kill 10 of these then go here and kill 10 of these missions, some of us actually want to enjoy the game and feel challenged and have to actually think about what we are doing.

The Secret World is a game where sometimes you have to read everything and look around you to investigate so its the elitist as long as im ok screw everyone else people that are the main problem by giving people the answers in chat.

• TerronteTerronte Member Posts: 321
    Originally posted by FinnMcCool

Some of us dont want the usual go here kill 10 of these then go here and kill 10 of these missions, some of us actually want to enjoy the game and feel challenged and have to actually think about what we are doing.

The Secret World is a game where sometimes you have to read everything and look around you to investigate so its the elitist as long as im ok screw everyone else people that are the main problem by giving people the answers in chat.

Point 1. A large portion of the quests are just that. I've yet to have to "think".

Point 2. Sure, there are investigation quests, they aren't the core. I think you are misusing the word elitist.

• JuJutsuJuJutsu Member Posts: 331

---

That's the problem right there; you don't care about the investigation quests and you don't care about the people who do. Narcissism ruins a lot of games and a lot of life.

• FinnMcCoolFinnMcCool Member Posts: 34
    Originally posted by FinnMcCool

Point 1. A large portion of the quests are just that. I've yet to have to "think".

Point 2. Sure, there are investigation quests, they aren't the core. I think you are misusing the word elitist.

Technically the Core of the game is about investigation as most of Story and Main missions do involve just that, its the majority of the side missions that involve going here and killing that.

And i dont see how i am misusing the word elitist, as surely someone who doesnt care they are ruining someone elses gaming experience by telling everyone the answers because as long as they are still having their fun it doesnt matter, sounds elitist to me.

At the end of the day as its already been said if people want help with a mission use the help channel, now i have just logged into the game and noticed that i needed to actually add the help tab onto my chat box to view it. so all FC have to do is make sure its already there for people to use and hopefully they will use it