Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Secret World Impression

ZtekanZtekan Member Posts: 261

Okey , this is a small impression.

First of i use to keep track on all MMO comming, this wasent on my radar at all, allthought i recall seeing a Trailer a few years ago , more than that i havent seen.

So i basicly bought the game without knowing what it was, ive heard bad things and good things.

The bad things where about the grafics and the gameplay and that the combat sucked.

IM A TERA kind of guy who like ninja spells and annimation.

So i was a little dull about this.

But i bought the game

After 2 hours of gameplay i bought the lifetime sub for 199Euro and the other pack for 14.99

Its just hat good game.

The good things about the game

Grafics are stunning "ONLY" if you have a DX11 card" minimum a 560TI and a Quad core I5 or i7 and 6 gb ram.

Combat are so fun , its a new thing when you fire of Dual Berettas or a G36 AssuoltRiffle.

Other great things are the community,

This isent a Kids game, its a mature game, i guess for the audience 30+ and upp.

You have hard puzzels and YOU need to use your brain.

And you get to fire off weapons.

Everquest players should like this game.

My Link to Youtube where i just play randomly for 2 min "Early gameplay"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nl8xnJqWIvA

System Specc
Intel I7 4770K 3,5 ghz
16Gb RAM 1600 mhz
Nvidia GTX 780

Comments

• ZtekanZtekan Member Posts: 261

No replies =) ???

System Specc
    Intel I7 4770K 3,5 ghz
    16Gb RAM 1600 mhz
    Nvidia GTX 780

• April-RainApril-Rain Member UncommonPosts: 316

i have to agree and came pretty close to upgrading the lifetime sub myself, but with gw2 on the horizon and the lack of reply's to a few petions i decided against it, but the game is great so far.......

Playing: FFXIV
    Future: wishing for SWG 2, World of Warcraft Classic
    Played: Most current and extinct MMO's - 18 Years in....

Interesting Fact - I own 27 Tarantula's

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Its a great game targetting at a less action oriented group of gamers, presumably 30+ in age..

If the game will keep people interested over the long run, totally depends on how fast funcom can add new stories and lore.  After all its story based and exactly the group of players interested in this game is the group that does not want to repeat it over and over again.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Okey...

I realy , for once enjoy a mmo.

I havent had this feeling to a MMO since the very first MMO i liked, "lineage2"

I have got the feeling back.

But gw2 can that realy compete with The Secret World?

System Specc
    Intel I7 4770K 3,5 ghz
    16Gb RAM 1600 mhz
    Nvidia GTX 780

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Its a great game targetting at a less action oriented group of gamers, presumably 30+ in age..

If the game will keep people interested over the long run, totally depends on how fast funcom can add new stories and lore.  After all its story based and exactly the group of players interested in this game is the group that does not want to repeat it over and over again.

Ineed...

But its is as every other games out there,

it got

Instances/raids

Killing

Quests

and so on.

You spend as much time killing stuff that you doing puzzels wich in a possetive way ment, its a 100% killing game, but its also a story/puzzle game 100%

For me its a mix of

Everquest2/World Of WarCraft/and SWtors story gengre.

System Specc
    Intel I7 4770K 3,5 ghz
    16Gb RAM 1600 mhz
    Nvidia GTX 780

• maddhatter44maddhatter44 Member Posts: 78
    Originally posted by Ztekan

it prob has more hype then swotor did, and prob a bigger budget...

oh yeah and everyone still remembers AoC, good ole funcom

• SlickShoesSlickShoes Member UncommonPosts: 1,019

I really like the game but it doesn't feel like an MMO to me. The PvP feels tacked on like in many MMO's.

I feel like I am playing a single player game that has a global chat channel and some dungeons that you can do co op.

It will be interesting to see where it goes after month 1. As far as this new breed of story based MMO goes though this game is light years ahead of SWTOR so if that game can keep its head above water then TSW should do pretty well.

• ZooceZooce Member Posts: 586

It's beautiful game with proper gaming rig.

Conclusion of "Dawning of an Endless Night" (first 18 part story mission) was most epic experience I had during beta, and definitely purchase-worthy content.

Performance dropped horribly for me in Egypt, but my processor is borderline min spec.  Hoping to hear some news of further optimizations for low-end systems before I take the full plunge.

ps. http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/355689/IMPORTANT-Reviews-Impressions-Subforum.html

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Okey...

Both are fundamentally differenent games, they dont have to compete.

As you said TSW is aiming at the mature gamers, that like story and depth.

GW2 is aiming more at the younger typical MMO gamer that does not want to read questtexts and such. But it has other means of creating interesting background stories.  On top of that, GW2 has the better PvP setting.

Both are great games, and with GW2 having no sub, i can immagine many people playing both over a very long time, because game developers can never create enough content to keep everyone bussy, so certain people might switch between these 2 games regularly, which is only possible because GW2 has no SUB fee.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Originally posted by SlickShoes

I really like the game but it doesn't feel like an MMO to me. The PvP feels tacked on like in many MMO's.

I feel like I am playing a single player game that has a global chat channel and some dungeons that you can do co op.

It will be interesting to see where it goes after month 1. As far as this new breed of story based MMO goes though this game is light years ahead of SWTOR so if that game can keep its head above water then TSW should do pretty well.

Well....

If you play solo, its a singelplayer game, as in all other games.

I play Tera aswell, but none of my friends does, so Tera got Singelplayer, for me , so i quit tera and took up where all my friends are.

And we are having a blast,

But the feeling i have of this game , most like its EverQuest 2 , i meen that the game,is simmular to EverQuest 2 but with diffrent moster/location/weapons

System Specc
    Intel I7 4770K 3,5 ghz
    16Gb RAM 1600 mhz
    Nvidia GTX 780

• AeolronAeolron Member Posts: 648

Okey , this is a small impression.

First of i use to keep track on all MMO comming, this wasent on my radar at all, allthought i recall seeing a Trailer a few years ago , more than that i havent seen.

So i basicly bought the game without knowing what it was, ive heard bad things and good things.

The bad things where about the grafics and the gameplay and that the combat sucked.

IM A TERA kind of guy who like ninja spells and annimation.

So i was a little dull about this.

But i bought the game

After 2 hours of gameplay i bought the lifetime sub for 199Euro and the other pack for 14.99

Its just hat good game.

The good things about the game

Grafics are stunning "ONLY" if you have a DX11 card" minimum a 560TI and a Quad core I5 or i7 and 6 gb ram.

Combat are so fun , its a new thing when you fire of Dual Berettas or a G36 AssuoltRiffle.

Other great things are the community,

This isent a Kids game, its a mature game, i guess for the audience 30+ and upp.

You have hard puzzels and YOU need to use your brain.

And you get to fire off weapons.

Everquest players should like this game.

My Link to Youtube where i just play randomly for 2 min "Early gameplay"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nl8xnJqWIvA

As I am an ancient EQ vet , I LOVE this game, but can't afford 200 bucks right now , aleady spent alot of money on afew computer parts that crapped out on me LOL

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156

I think this describes every themepark nowadays.

Regarding GW2, 2 completly different games targeting diffrerent audiences. Now, what i do want, is both of them combined.

• AeolronAeolron Member Posts: 648
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Okey...

Both are fundamentally differenent games, they dont have to compete.

As you said TSW is aiming at the mature gamers, that like story and depth.

GW2 is aiming more at the younger typical MMO gamer that does not want to read questtexts and such. But it has other means of creating interesting background stories.  On top of that, GW2 has the better PvP setting.

Both are great games, and with GW2 having no sub, i can immagine many people playing both over a very long time, because game developers can never create enough content to keep everyone bussy, so certain people might switch between these 2 games regularly, which is only possible because GW2 has no SUB fee.

You said it, GW2 and TSW does not have to compete at all, both are different games and both cater to a different crowd, but for players like me I can enjoy both of them for a very very long time.

Can't wait for GW2 as well hehe

• FinnMcCoolFinnMcCool Member Posts: 34

I managed to talk a friend into buying it just in time for early access, I had played all the beta weekends but he hadnt done anything in the game prior to buying it. We played together for hours friday night going round solving the puzzles, as I had already done some of these before I let my friend do all the solving this time round. We both had a great time and hopefully this game has a great future too it.

At the moment the only thing that seems to let the game down is some of the community just cant be bothered to put in the effort to work things out themselves. Im sick of seeing spam in chat asking whats the password for this or whats the code for that when all they have to do is read everything about the mission and just do a bit of thinking.

Im hoping this isnt going to spoil my enjoyment going forwards as at the moment all of the spam is about missions i have already done but later in the game I dont want to see mission spoilers about the stuff i havent done yet.

Originally posted by FredomSekerZ

I think this describes every themepark nowadays.

Regarding GW2, 2 completly different games targeting diffrerent audiences. Now, what i do want, is both of them combined.

AGREED!

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
    Originally posted by FinnMcCool

I managed to talk a friend into buying it just in time for early access, I had played all the beta weekends but he hadnt done anything in the game prior to buying it. We played together for hours friday night going round solving the puzzles, as I had already done some of these before I let my friend do all the solving this time round. We both had a great time and hopefully this game has a great future too it.

At the moment the only thing that seems to let the game down is some of the community just cant be bothered to put in the effort to work things out themselves. Im sick of seeing spam in chat asking whats the password for this or whats the code for that when all they have to do is read everything about the mission and just do a bit of thinking.

Im hoping this isnt going to spoil my enjoyment going forwards as at the moment all of the spam is about missions i have already done but later in the game I dont want to see mission spoilers about the stuff i havent done yet.

not all quests can be solved wiithout looking for outside help.  1723 Music of the Seasons for example, there is no answer anywhere in game, which made use of the in game browser awesome, not to just find the quest answer but to do your own research

• ChtugaChtuga Member UncommonPosts: 116

I have to agree that this game really seem to attract the older mmo players with lots of experience who want those "old experiences back"

Im a lifetimer as well in this game! :)

Now I just hope to see all the good people I played with in the past in this game... Now that would be awesome ;)

Originally posted by Myrdynn

not all quests can be solved wiithout looking for outside help.  1723 Music of the Seasons for example, there is no answer anywhere in game, which made use of the in game browser awesome, not to just find the quest answer but to do your own research

Some of us are educated enough to know the answers though even if it does take some thinking and remembering. but the thing I object too most is when the answers are put in general chat for everyone to see I mean just PM the guy asking for the answer.

And the mission where you need to find the code for the datapad in the church yard it even hints at where the code is if people actually read what it says on the phone.

its just that the WOW generation have to be spoon fed  every step of the way unable to figure things out themselves, and I truely hope this isnt going to be the downfall of TSW where they eventually have to dumb down the game to attract more players

• ChtugaChtuga Member UncommonPosts: 116

its just that the WOW generation have to be spoon fed  every step of the way unable to figure things out themselves, and I truely hope this isnt going to be the downfall of TSW where they eventually have to dumb down the game to attract more players

I think we players need to adjust us to this game hehe ;)

I know I had to when I first started playing beta. 

I think it will be better after the first zone. In Kingsmouth people simply need to learn how to play this game, how to read, how to understand... Its not easy to learn how to eat with a knife and fork when all you have been spoonfeed all your life!

• RockhideRockhide Member Posts: 155

I personally find the people berating and belittling people who ask for hints/passwords/codes/etc. far more abhorrent than the one's seeking help.  People asking for help has never made my personal enjoyment solving a quest any less.  It's the people giving the answers publicly that have negatively affected my gameplay.  If somebody wants to go through the game figuring out nothing on their own, so what?

The "adults" criticizing people for being too stupid/lazy/whatever to figure something out by themselves is the exact same "LOL U SUCK" after pvp duels or the "u dont need a group.  if u cant solo him u should just stop playing MMOs" from every other MMO out there, done for the exact same reasons.

Yes, there are, so far, fewer people posting nonsense/garbage in chat, so in that sense the atmosphere has been considerably more mature, but I don't think the quality of people playing TSW is any higher than any other major MMO I've played.

Originally posted by Chtuga

I think we players need to adjust us to this game hehe ;)

I know I had to when I first started playing beta. 

I think it will be better after the first zone. In Kingsmouth people simply need to learn how to play this game, how to read, how to understand... Its not easy to learn how to eat with a knife and fork when all you have been spoonfeed all your life!

Im hoping FC will introduce an Advice channel to force any questions and hints into that and then we can just filter it out if we want to

Originally posted by Rockhide

I personally find the people berating and belittling people who ask for hints/passwords/codes/etc. far more abhorrent than the one's seeking help.  People asking for help has never made my personal enjoyment solving a quest any less.  It's the people giving the answers publicly that have negatively affected my gameplay.  If somebody wants to go through the game figuring out nothing on their own, so what?

The "adults" criticizing people for being too stupid/lazy/whatever to figure something out by themselves is the exact same "LOL U SUCK" after pvp duels or the "u dont need a group.  if u cant solo him u should just stop playing MMOs" from every other MMO out there, done for the exact same reasons.

Yes, there are, so far, fewer people posting nonsense/garbage in chat, so in that sense the atmosphere has been considerably more mature, but I don't think the quality of people playing TSW is any higher than any other major MMO I've played.

you are probably right it is the ones that mindlessly give out the answers in chat that are the worst, I do think an advice channel would hopefully solve all that.

I wouldnt call myself a hardcore gamer, I only play to have fun and a laugh over beers with friends mostly but i do like to be challenged and have to think about what im doing at times. I dont see the point in bragging about in game achievements because at the end of the day its not gonna impress the chicks down the pub is it.

I have put my hours in on plenty of different MMO's over the years I even used to enjoy WOW back in the day before it was really dumbed down (you couldnt beat all day Alterac Valley battles).

At the moment TSW is ticking all the right boxes for me in terms of having to think about things that i am down and I hope to have years of enjoyment out of it I just hope it doesnt get ruined

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351

Glad your enjoying it OP, but a lot of people don't like this game and have very valid reasons for that.

The community isn't as amazing as some make out, the gameplay is stilted and the combat is clunky and unintuitive. Even the quests are quite limited and have no replay value at all.

Give it two-three months and see where the game is once most players have completed all the content and all the game currently has to offer. TSW is one of those games that will need constant content updates to keep it fresh and playable. If Funcom can deliver, brilliant, if not, then there will be a lot of players complaining and leaving. The subs fee they are asking demands regular content updates, otherwise there is simply no justification for paying a subs fee for this game.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• MarkusanMarkusan Member Posts: 92

Comparing this game to EQ is not a good comparison. EQ has had unparallelled life length due to its AA system mainly.

Buying a life time sub for this game is a hasty move. When you have done all content and started regrinding content several times, then we will see what the ratings will be. I doubt this game will be regarded as highly as now in 4-5 months time.

Originally posted by Myrdynn

Some of us are educated enough to know the answers though even if it does take some thinking and remembering. but the thing I object too most is when the answers are put in general chat for everyone to see I mean just PM the guy asking for the answer.

And the mission where you need to find the code for the datapad in the church yard it even hints at where the code is if people actually read what it says on the phone.

The clue for the church one is "it was the first song he was going to sing at church". I worked it out but the last time I was in a church was 21 years ago, I am 29 years old. Many people playing will have no idea that the songs they sing in churches are listed by hymn number on the wall.

The constant belittling of people for being stupid is one of this games downfalls.

I find the quests that involve working things out enjoyable but i am pretty terrible at them and I got all good grades at school and then a BSc Hons at University, my Mrs is studying for an MSc, she is great at these quests but totally horrible at any kind of combat. The bottom line is, everyone is different, she doesnt tell me I suck for not working stuff out on my own and I don't laugh at her because I could roll my face on the keyboard and beat her in a duel.