Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

C9 (Continent of the Ninth Seal) open beta starts today

jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698

Was just surfing around for a game to play and found this:

http://c9.webzen.com/Main

Download it from Atomic Gamer. I'm getting 3.6 MB/Sec.

http://www.atomicgamer.com/games/7689/continent-of-the-ninth-seal-c9/files

Comments

• zytinzytin Member UncommonPosts: 202

seems like a hastily put together website for a crap, generic game.....I'm affraid to even download it.

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654
    Originally posted by zytin

seems like a hastily put together website for a crap, generic game.....I'm affraid to even download it.

You've never heard of C9?  Its sorta well known...

Its an action MMORPG, been indevelopment for years and years.

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

"Webzen" that alone is enough to make me stay well clear. They take milking to extremes when it comes to cash shops.

• jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698

Ehhh.... nevermind. It's just a spiced up version of Dragon Nest. Some real nice character graphics though. One cool feature is that it shows a miniature flag from the country you are playing from next to your name when you're in town.

• WreckoniingWreckoniing Member UncommonPosts: 279

do not waste your time on this one, The combat may be okay, but the dungeons are pretty much a few mobs clumped together.

• spikers14spikers14 Member UncommonPosts: 531

Also, it uses a browser-based extension launcher (which will have to be installaed seperatelty), and the game comes in a large zip file, as opposed to an updater/downloader. It seems to not like certain browsers as well. I should have just punched myself in the face and then went back to my previous game...

Also:

combat feels decent

graphics seem a bit aged (on max)

the interface is...inconsistent

the tutorial is awful (windows opening on top of other windows, some important controls not explained)

the help section is so-so

character creation was above average, although some graphics/choices are just plain bad

Just some intial impressions. I've played less than an hour, but I think I'm about done. 

• ArthasmArthasm Member UncommonPosts: 785

Don't bother with game where hacks and cheaters will rule (unless u one of them). Same crap as Vindictus, but not sure if party in dungeons are hosted on dedicated servers or player's host. If players hosting games, then GG.

• EarthaticEarthatic Member Posts: 3

Some very harsh comments here. 

This game is simillar to Vindictus and Dragon Nest, but the combat system is far more complex than both combined. 

The PvE in this game  (although entertaining) is not it's best aspect. It's just there for levelling up (not much different than other RPGs!). The PvP is it's strong point. The combat system is very complicated, moreso than I first thought when I first started playing. Each of the four beginning classes branch off into 3-4 subclasses that all have unique playing styles. Combos are extremelely intricate and can take a long time to master. It's almost like a third-person Soul Calibur game. The game's cash shop is not a big deal because Webzen is not going to be posting Pay2Win items as far as I know (Hangame never did). So far there are only a few costumes.

The game doesn't have very good cutscenes but the dialogue is certainly above average for an online game. The graphics are very good and detailed, but not too much for the health of your own computer...25+ mobs with flashy skills being executed can really slow your frame rate, even if you have a decent gaming PC, not to mention framerate drops could probably really eff up a combo chain, so there is a good reason for that. The game was released in Korea years ago, so I can't complain about the graphics.

I've been playing casually for about a week or so and have been really enjoying it.

• SandaStunnaSandaStunna Member Posts: 101
    Originally posted by Earthatic

This game is simillar to Vindictus and Dragon Nest, but the combat system is far more complex than both combined. 

The PvE in this game  (although entertaining) is not it's best aspect. It's just there for levelling up (not much different than other RPGs!). The PvP is it's strong point. The combat system is very complicated, moreso than I first thought when I first started playing. Each of the four beginning classes branch off into 3-4 subclasses that all have unique playing styles. Combos are extremelely intricate and can take a long time to master. It's almost like a third-person Soul Calibur game. The game's cash shop is not a big deal because Webzen is not going to be posting Pay2Win items as far as I know (Hangame never did). So far there are only a few costumes.

The game doesn't have very good cutscenes but the dialogue is certainly above average for an online game. The graphics are very good and detailed, but not too much for the health of your own computer...25+ mobs with flashy skills being executed can really slow your frame rate, even if you have a decent gaming PC, not to mention framerate drops could probably really eff up a combo chain, so there is a good reason for that. The game was released in Korea years ago, so I can't complain about the graphics.

I've been playing casually for about a week or so and have been really enjoying it.

heck no! no where near vindictus combat mechanics.

this is dragon nest level at best. combos are pretty easy imo.

• chefdiablochefdiablo Member Posts: 202

C9 is a fun action game. I have been playing since closed beta. There is lots of smash and grab, decent loot and a decent crafting system. I am testing the depth of the systems but this game is enough fun even to play just as a break between down times or for something a bit different.

The pvp system is quite fun and action packed, but as a previous poster stated frame rate and latency are big factors. If you are looking for a huge MMO with lots of depth and "innovation" then this game is not going to impress. This is more like a button masher but it is fun if you don't take it too seriously.

Originally posted by SandaStunna

There are simplistic combos that are easy to learn, but there is more potential than most realize since the game was only just released in english. There are a lot of 60+ hit combos (Blademaster's infinite for example) that you see professionals use in PvP. If I had an entire month to practice, I still don't think I'd be able to do it.  There are subtle things that come into play that don't in Vindictus and DN. There is armor judgement, launch height  - which is subtly affected by your distance, accuracy (if you're accuracy is bad, you won't lift your oponent as much as you want), and distance/direction management ... just to name a few things. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mnah4OcniQ4&feature=plcp http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUijdF_psAM

Button mashing won't win you a match against experienced players.

Vindictus PvP is not very good given the mechanics of the game. The developers did their best tho.

• Reaper1122Reaper1122 Member Posts: 40

The games pvp seems ok until you take into account people from forign regions will physically lag on your screen and you have 2 escape mechanisms then you can be just permacomboed to death. One guy I ran into was physically just using a macro to perma combo as a Blademaster. I tried one real quick on my mouse for Warrior and it worked great for the most part.

Theres no compensation on this for melee against ranged classes in escapes as all classes seem to have the same amount of escapes other then warriors have a shield charge for the most part to close distance(Taoist can use super armor which makes them stun immune for a bit and charge). So a good elementalist if he hits you two times with ranged attacked will cause a death due to being comboed to death since you have to use your escapes after each hit. Some classes have combos much harder to use then others such as Scout or Ranger.

If you find that type of end game pvp fun thats up to you since its the games main feature. It has nice things like intrusions(Almost always when you do this the person/persons your intruding will revive after you kill them and use there super charge which makes them do more damage and be stun immune so you can't combo them, since reviving fills there special bar) and more.

Basically I was excited then its combat turned out to be quite meh and turns out better team based.

Originally posted by Reaper1122

The games pvp seems ok until you take into account people from forign regions will physically lag on your screen and you have 2 escape mechanisms then you can be just permacomboed to death. One guy I ran into was physically just using a macro to perma combo as a Blademaster. I tried one real quick on my mouse for Warrior and it worked great for the most part.

Theres no compensation on this for melee against ranged classes in escapes as all classes seem to have the same amount of escapes other then warriors have a shield charge for the most part to close distance(Taoist can use super armor which makes them stun immune for a bit and charge). So a good elementalist if he hits you two times with ranged attacked will cause a death due to being comboed to death since you have to use your escapes after each hit. Some classes have combos much harder to use then others such as Scout or Ranger.

If you find that type of end game pvp fun thats up to you since its the games main feature. It has nice things like intrusions(Almost always when you do this the person/persons your intruding will revive after you kill them and use there super charge which makes them do more damage and be stun immune so you can't combo them, since reviving fills there special bar) and more.

Basically I was excited then its combat turned out to be quite meh and turns out better team based.

With invasion it's best to just run in, kill them once, grab the token and leave...oh and steal their HP/MP refill lol. Unless you're a blademaster, you won't be able to kite them.

The foreigners are really starting to make players angry because of the lag, and then they sometimes act like a bunch of snots when you mention it. THERE ARE USA (Canadians are no problem) SERVERS AND EUROPEAN SERVERS. They need to introduce an IP ban, IMO - but in Webzen's eyes, that means less players buying from cash shop...arg.

Know that all classes are actually balanced when used correctly...some are obviously easier to master than others, but they warn you when you first create your character how difficult the controls are for each class.

• SandaStunnaSandaStunna Member Posts: 101
    Originally posted by SandaStunna

There are simplistic combos that are easy to learn, but there is more potential than most realize since the game was only just released in english. There are a lot of 60+ hit combos (Blademaster's infinite for example) that you see professionals use in PvP. If I had an entire month to practice, I still don't think I'd be able to do it.  There are subtle things that come into play that don't in Vindictus and DN. There is armor judgement, launch height  - which is subtly affected by your distance, accuracy (if you're accuracy is bad, you won't lift your oponent as much as you want), and distance/direction management ... just to name a few things. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mnah4OcniQ4&feature=plcp http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUijdF_psAM

Button mashing won't win you a match against experienced players.

Vindictus PvP is not very good given the mechanics of the game. The developers did their best tho.

that vid is excatly what i mean poor overall combat mechanics. look at vindictus or blade and soul they have momentum and weight feel to the mechanics. i really dont care if you can spam combo hitting ppl in mid air.

• islandstormislandstorm Member Posts: 2

yeah~!!!