Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Divinity's Reach: Are Guilds Needed in GW2?

FinitFinit Member Posts: 145

Divinity's Reach is a blog featuring news, interviews, and articles on all things Guild Wars 2.  It is a blog designed solely for the community, and we hope you enjoy! http://divinitysreach.blogspot.com/

Are Guilds Needed in GW2?

"With the release date rapidly approaching, guild recruitment has never been more emphasized.  In fact, I have even begun searching for a guild I can call home over the last couple of days.  Furthermore, many articles have been created over the last 24 hours, describing what you should be doing in the next two months before release.  One of the most common features in these articles is that you should be in a guild.  For many this has translated that to be effective, you need a guild.  I largely disagree, the majority of players do not need to be in a guild. While socially effective and fun, do not think for a single moment that you need a guild to experience all the content in Guild Wars 2.   Guilds have traditionally been "required" in MMOs, but may be considerably less critical for Guild Wars 2.

Previously, in many MMOs (specifically before the Looking for Raid feature), having a guild for end-game content was extremely important.  In fact, to even see or compete in many of the raids or reach high into the rated PvP brackets, a player almost "needed" to belong to a guild.

I'll reiterate the question, are guilds needed in Guild Wars 2?"

The rest of the article can be found at:  http://divinitysreach.blogspot.com/2012/06/are-guilds-needed-in-guild-wars-2.html.  Hope to see you there!

My Guild Wars 2 Blog can be found here: Divinity's Reach

Comments

• joker007mojoker007mo Member Posts: 712

well given the name of the game is GUILD wars  yes i think so

that aside i get what your saying but the way the game is designed its meant to be like an adventure with your friends,friends band together so i think yea if you want you should if not dont pretty simple i think

• PNM_JenningsPNM_Jennings Member UncommonPosts: 1,093

yes. obviously. for wvw. for dungeons. for high level story missions. for high level des. you need to have a large community that knows each other. you aren't going to win jack in the long run with just zerg pugs.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610
    Again a post about guild wars by someone who knows nothing about the game. Dungeons are hard, you will want to find a core of good players to run with. Being a hard core DAoC RvR fan let me tell you raids and large scale organized events are far from dead in GW2. You like PvP? Then you are gona wana find the right guild.
    Made above post on my Droid phone and somehow it posted 3 times. Sorry all.
    Delete post
  • Lucien1967Lucien1967 Member Posts: 6

It isnt necassary but its like what wiki said: Guild are a great way to connect to a community. Members have many ways to communicate in the game.

Guilds can earn influence to purchase upgrades such as leveling,bonuses and sharded item vaults.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Influence

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

They are needed in the same way that an auction house is needed. Without guild features, the game still works but is far less convenient.

I suppose when you actually get down to it, guilds are not "needed" in any MMORPG.

• FinitFinit Member Posts: 145
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    Again a post about guild wars by someone who knows nothing about the game. Dungeons are hard, you will want to find a core of good players to run with. Being a hard core DAoC RvR fan let me tell you raids and large scale organized events are far from dead in GW2. You like PvP? Then you are gona wana find the right guild.

I appreciate the criticism, but I'm not sure you read my article at all. I never said dungeons were easy, particularly in Explorable mode. I never really said large scale groups are ineffective in GW2, nor did I say that guilds were useless. I ask you to review the article, and really read it for what it says, and not what you think I say. To be honest, you seem to have only read the title and missed the entire point of the article.  

• MavekMavek Member Posts: 138
    Originally posted by Finit

"With the release date rapidly approaching, guild recruitment has never been more emphasized.  

I read that as euthanized the first time haha.  I was confused as shit. 

But on topic I think its a good point but missing a key feature which is interaction.  Sure you can complete the content without a guild but what makes a truly great mmo is forming relationships and bonds with other people.  Not saying I get the jollies off meeting random people over a video game but as you all know the most nostalgic part of any game played previously is the experiences shared with others.  So while a guild might not "be necessary" it sure as hell adds to the amount of fun had in the game by sharing experiences and forming meaningful relationships with others.

• FinitFinit Member Posts: 145
    Originally posted by Mavek
    Originally posted by Finit

"With the release date rapidly approaching, guild recruitment has never been more emphasized.  

I read that as euthanized the first time haha.  I was confused as shit. 

But on topic I think its a good point but missing a key feature which is interaction.  Sure you can complete the content without a guild but what makes a truly great mmo is forming relationships and bonds with other people.  Not saying I get the jollies off meeting random people over a video game but as you all know the most nostalgic part of any game played previously is the experiences shared with others.  So while a guild might not "be necessary" it sure as hell adds to the amount of fun had in the game by sharing experiences and forming meaningful relationships with others.

Exact point of article.  Guilds are not as needed in Guild Wars 2 as most traditional MMOs.  However, while they are not needed, they build a socially interactive community, that cannot be matched otherwise.  Guilds aren't needed, but can be fun.  

I'm worried that much of the community is trying to find a hard-core guild in belief that it is the only way to experience most of the content in the game, and that simply is not true.  Choose a guild first and foremost, because you like the people.

• maddbomber83maddbomber83 Member Posts: 422

I read your article on your blog site so I could see all of it.

One aspect that is interesting that I had hoped you would cover is the multi guild players of GW2.

I think this one feature will change the landscape of the guild scene.  As an example, my guild in Rift does a lot of raiding.  There are other guilds focused on PvP and Role Playing.  There are casual social guilds and many guilds that try to mix a few of these areas (we do casual raiding).

Why is GW2 different?  I can be in a hardcore PvP guild, I can ALSO be in a 5 man heavy PvE guild.  They can even be on DIFFERENT servers.  As long as my home server is with the PvP guild, I can join any guild on any server and swap to them at any time.  I don't have to find a guild that matches my needs exactly.

Our Rift Guild will have a GW2 guild as well, mostly as a place we can swap to and chat with eachother and keep tabs of our progress in this new game.  It won't stop me from finding a few great communities to be part of in GW2 however.

I think your article should have been less about do you need to be in any guild at all, and more do you really need to find a SINGLE guild to be in?

• LeucentLeucent Member Posts: 2,371

My wife and I need a guild PST, preferably WvW focused:)

• MattVidMattVid Member Posts: 399

Using the word "need" is a little dramatic. I am sure you can play and progress in the game solo if you really wanted to. I find myself having way more fun socializing and playing with people, so I always try to find a guild. I did just fine in beta up to level 34 by myself, or with a few friends. You can find groups and most definitely complete DE's and level up simply with other people in the area.

How that is going to work later, who knows. I would recommend getting in a guild just for the fun of being in one, plus all the perks you can get out of being in it as well (influence boosts that you purchase).

• Kyus_HoBKyus_HoB Member Posts: 185

Well no its not needed but this question is taking a mentality on mmo design that Arena Net is moving away from with GW2.

Is it needed to have a guild in GW2? No

Is it fun to have a guild in GW2? HELL YES! 

• RequiamerRequiamer Member Posts: 2,034

Actually i missed a good guild a lot during those week ends, i think there is a huge gap between the feeling most people have from playing the game the first couple of hours they could take for the event, and those being able to play a lot more. If at the beginning everything might seam like a zerg fest because of the "starting area at launch" syndrome, in fact i never felt the need for a good guild as much as in playing GW2 at later level (15-30). Being in duo/trio really make the game a lot more enjoyable even if you can do that with the first unknown guy you meet in the field, there are quiet a few of those big event i couldn't trigger or wasn't at the right time, WvW is an other aspect too you'll need a good guild. So i think people haven't seen it all yet.