Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2's "semi-region lock" - so what version should i purchase?

IstrebiteIIstrebiteI Member Posts: 266

Greetings.

I have a simple question. I am a humble Russian citizen. And i want to pre-purchase the game. What version of the game should i pre-purchase in order to be able to play with ArenaNet's very strange region lock solution (can play on any server but only from region which the box is bound to). I heard that anyone who isnt in Europe (and i believe ArenaNet doesnt know Russia IS part of european continient) must buy an american version, but then again, they say "buy from our site and you'll be good" but their site shows me a price in euros, which i believe is european version.

Comments

• deathangelldeathangell Member CommonPosts: 85

i thought region lock was based on ur pick not ur actual region IE: pick a USE and u are locked to that region pick a Euro lockd to euro

• NeferaNefera Member Posts: 426

Unless a fellow Russian pre-purchaser sees this thread and has the answer, it might be a good idea to ask GW2 community managers. If you have a facebook or twitter account, you could try there - they tend to answer to most questions.

I would guess the European edition would be the correct one (seen as there is an unofficial Russian server on European side), but wouldn't put my head as a stake on that.

Originally posted by deathangell

i thought region lock was based on ur pick not ur actual region IE: pick a USE and u are locked to that region pick a Euro lockd to euro

If you purchase European version of the game, you can only log in from Europe, but can go to any servers. If you purchase a North American version, you can log in from just about everywhere else except europe, and can go to any servers. Works a bit different here. I recall them saying it has something to do with accessing different data centres, not sure what the exact technical reasoning behind that decision is though.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

As it currently stands, you will need to buy the Europe version, as all Euro players will be locked out of playing using a US version. Also if you move outside of Europe at any point you will be locked from playing your game.

They said they were working on it 2 months ago, still no word. Just scare tactics to rip Euro players off in my opinion, bet they drop the restriction at or after launch as it is incredibly stupid.

Thankfully I am moving out of Europe before launch, so it doesnt affect me anymore and I can just buy the el cheapo American version, but it is still a very stupid business model.

• dellirious13dellirious13 Member Posts: 205

If I was you, I'd contact customer support before pre-purchasing. Also, even if you pre-purchase the wrong region, Anet is very gracious in helping you switch regions (they have had to deal with this frequently for GW1 due to certain customers and their own individuals traveling between Europe, America, and Asia.

• IstrebiteIIstrebiteI Member Posts: 266

Where exactly DO i contact customer support? On official GW2 website you can only ask support if you have ingame account name (i suppose if you're in beta only, which i'm not in unfortunately)

Originally posted by dellirious13

If I was you, I'd contact customer support before pre-purchasing. Also, even if you pre-purchase the wrong region, Anet is very gracious in helping you switch regions (they have had to deal with this frequently for GW1 due to certain customers and their own individuals traveling between Europe, America, and Asia.

(Just pointing out - GW1 isn't region locked in any form. You can purchase any version and log in from anywhere, and be able to access all servers.)

Originally posted by IstrebiteI

Where exactly DO i contact customer support? On official GW2 website you can only ask support if you have ingame account name (i suppose if you're in beta only, which i'm not in unfortunately)

http://support.guildwars2.com/

Looks like you'll need to register a support-only account, top right hand side.

Originally posted by Nefera

(Just pointing out - GW1 isn't region locked in any form. You can purchase any version and log in from anywhere, and be able to access all servers.)

Ah yes, you are right...maybe it was from closed beta that they were switching over some people's accounts and their own people's accounts >.< It's on the beta forums...but they are kind of closed, but i guarentee i misread it there then *feels stupid* :D

• IstrebiteIIstrebiteI Member Posts: 266

2 Nefera

Thanks. I will try, but from what i see, "Ask a question" form has "Game account" required field, which i obviously have not got because i'm not in beta... or can anyone register a game account w/o owning game or being in beta?

2 Nefera

Thanks. I will try, but from what i see, "Ask a question" form has "Game account" required field, which i obviously have not got because i'm not in beta... or can anyone register a game account w/o owning game or being in beta?

Just enter "None" for the game account when you ask the question :)

2 Nefera

Might be easier if you have a twitter account - ask on their twitter. If not, facebook account? If not, try this link: http://support.guildwars2.com/app/utils/create_account

That makes a "game account" for support purposes only, so you should be able to ask a question through that without owning the game already.

Also, GW2's official pre-purchase page (buy.guildwars2.com) sorts you into a region automatically, so you'll automatically get the correct version. However, their prices are a bit higher than prices at retailers. If you don't mind spending the extra cash though, it's probably the easiest to get the game through their website.

• NimitzXNimitzX Member Posts: 7
    Originally posted by Nefera

Ah yes, you are right...maybe it was from closed beta that they were switching over some people's accounts and their own people's accounts >.< It's on the beta forums...but they are kind of closed, but i guarentee i misread it there then *feels stupid* :D

Well at one time you were locked to the regional server for NA, Europe, or Asia. That was eliminated several years back however.