Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Worth Subscribing?

I've played various MMO's since the beginning of DAOC, with PVP being my main priority. Is PVP decent at all? Is it open world PVP or tiny minimap PVP sessions? Is this game worth the subscription or does it feel like a single player game with some MMO features thrown in, e.g. SWTOR? Thanks.

Comments

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156

There's no open world pvp and while i like TSW, it's not a pvp focused mmo. Sorry. it's 3 faction like DAOC, but it as 2 BG's and "large" scale persistant but it's not really that big (I believe it's 75v75v75, but i could be wrong). Not even as bad as SWTOR IMO, but not great at all.

If you're looking for proper large scale pvp, only Planetside 2 on the horizon. Really, i would't say the pvp in TSW is only a side feature, but it will take quite a while to become more fleshed out and that's up to Funcom,

• arrgyarrgy Member UncommonPosts: 87

So far the question is. Is it worth $60 for a decent single player RPG game? Yes there is an MMO component to it, but I have been having too much fun questing on my own. Is it perfect? No way, but its fun.

It would be a LOT MORE FUN, if they let us have better CC!!!

• SebberSebber Member Posts: 221
    Originally posted by Styles755

I've played various MMO's since the beginning of DAOC, with PVP being my main priority. Is PVP decent at all? Is it open world PVP or tiny minimap PVP sessions? Is this game worth the subscription or does it feel like a single player game with some MMO features thrown in, e.g. SWTOR? Thanks.

No if you are mainly PvP you will waste your money with this game.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

i'd wait for GW2 or PS2 if all you want is PVP... PVE in this game is a lot of fun.. pvp is ok but it's not great and the game isn't really designed around the pvp it's more of an added bonus i guess. But if you want a story centric modern themed MMO with great zones it's worth a look

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• Makmax6666Makmax6666 Member Posts: 53

Despite the fact that i hate Funcom i can not help but voice out my 2 cents on the matter, so here are the questions that i would ask myself before anything else

-Is the game expensive? i would say yes compared to the MMO history we have seen so far

-Is it worth trying out? I am mainly waiting for GW2 however i gotta admit that it has been years since i had that amazing feeling of playing a new game that AT LEAST in my opinion Tried to break the same cycle of previous MMOs and that definitely brought back that great feeling for me again

-Is the game Really pure Skill and no leveling? again from my personal View this is not really true since the game has leveling but reinvented it in a new way, instead of leveling a character and obtaining spells at each level it has become the other way around and i have to say this leveling system will take a while before it gets boring since you can come up with random results based on the way you direct the character development in itself

-How's the PVP?? despite the lack of world pvp, i would advice you to try it out i found it extremely fun especially that now pvp battles are less predictable in terms of results, which for me makes up a big part of the fun factor.

-All in All my friend i would advice you to try it out, if your budget is tight then wait for it to get cheaper (funcom will hit it to the ground eventually especially with the item shop up and running now) and in all cases no matter what people said i would not try to play blind and deny the fact that this game has a fun factor which no one can explain to you but yourself.

anyway my 2 cents and if you want something refreshing try it out

A True Master who Knows his own limit...

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

If you have no interest in the story or lore, I wouldn't waste your money on this one.

The story / lore is hands down the biggest thing this game offers, and the most refreshing. In many ways, it does feel like a single player game with some MMO features thrown in. If you're looking for a solid PvP game only, I'd look elsewhere. As others have said, coming from DAoC, you have GW2 coming out in less than 2 months, there's also Planetside 2 around the corner. If you need something right now, I hear Rift's isn't bad, but it won't be as good as DAoC.

If you are actually interested in the story, the game does that really well. Just don't go in expecting an awesome / deep PvP experience. The PvP can be fun, but it's basically a sideshow in this game. It's a little bit of popcorn fun on the side if you get bored. I don't really see any serious PvPers getting excited about the combat in this game.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Its the typical glued on MMO PvP we see these days...

Good PvP games are build around it. Like DAoC and GW2.

Personally i think TSW is an awesome PvE game, with some fun PvP additions for people that love some casual PvP from time to time.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• rpgalonrpgalon Member Posts: 430

if you want a game where you can play only PvP, no.

if you want a game where you can enjoy the PvP, yes.

• Makmax6666Makmax6666 Member Posts: 53
    Originally posted by rpgalon

if you want a game where you can play only PvP, no.

if you want a game where you can enjoy the PvP, yes.

This^

A True Master who Knows his own limit...

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156
    Originally posted by aesperus

If you have no interest in the story or lore, I wouldn't waste your money on this one.

The story / lore is hands down the biggest thing this game offers, and the most refreshing. In many ways, it does feel like a single player game with some MMO features thrown in. If you're looking for a solid PvP game only, I'd look elsewhere. As others have said, coming from DAoC, you have GW2 coming out in less than 2 months, there's also Planetside 2 around the corner. If you need something right now, I hear Rift's isn't bad, but it won't be as good as DAoC.

If you are actually interested in the story, the game does that really well. Just don't go in expecting an awesome / deep PvP experience. The PvP can be fun, but it's basically a sideshow in this game. It's a little bit of popcorn fun on the side if you get bored. I don't really see any serious PvPers getting excited about the combat in this game.

As i said, TSW isn't a great pvp mmo, but there's alot more than lore and story. Also, how is it a songle player with mmo features? How is it less mmo than others like GW2?

Well, unless you consider zerging a bunch og open world events like Rifts and DEs to be some defining feature of "mmo". As many said, mmo doesn't mean forced grouping, just like single player doesn't mean having a main story line (which is 10% of all the quests).

People seem to consider mmo to be about just having players around and not talking too them or interacting. You got that just fine.

• RockhideRockhide Member Posts: 155

For me that answer is probably going to be "Yes, but only until I get to see all (well, most of) the existing quests."   Even though the costume rewards from the decks are a nice little carrot, I don't see myself grinding out most of the ability wheel right now.   Perhaps I'll get hooked up with a fun guild at some point and want to stay with it, but that hasn't happened yet.

However, so far, TSW does a better job than any MMO I've played at making me feel rewarded just by finishing a quest line, so I'd like to see what they've come up with for the other quests in the game.  Of course, if it turns out that Funcom "used up" all of their good ideas in the first couple of zones then I might put it aside earlier.  No, not every quest is this amazing revelation, but enough of them are good enough to keep me engaged.

So yeah -- for me -- if I continue to have the fun I've been having it will be worth subbing for a month or two.

• Grand_NagusGrand_Nagus Member UncommonPosts: 335

I'm waiting for F2P  :D

• PlaidpantsPlaidpants Member UncommonPosts: 267

no its not unfortunately - very underwhelming game - I was really surprised that it Funcom went the opposite direction with this game.. terrible combat and graphics.. I just wasn't able to get past how bad the combat was.. I think i'd rather play LOTRO's combat :

I figured they'd have that part down from their previous experience and make a really good game combining their combat and graphics with the story/new unique style of this game.

• ValuaValua Member Posts: 520
    Originally posted by arrgy

It would be a LOT MORE FUN, if they let us have better CC!!!

Or, get rid of CC all together. 

CC ruins MMO's, doesn't make them better imo.

CC is totally unrealistic and breaks immersion.

On topic; The Secret World is a great PvE MMO, probably one of if not THE best currently (Maybe close second to Lotro.) PvP is a good like side feature.

• pgqsilverpgqsilver Member UncommonPosts: 106

The combat isn’t very intriguing, but the story is entertaining. If the setting and plot interest you, it could provide hours of fun.  However, if you’re looking for pvp or a challenging experience I would wait for upcoming titles.

• BossalinieBossalinie Member UncommonPosts: 724
    @Valua New too MMOs? CC has been in MMOs since the being. From an offtank pulling a mob away from the pack, to a controller mudding up the field to minimize thug movement, to a caster toss a pig spell on you...
  • Crunchy22Crunchy22 Member Posts: 51
    Originally posted by pgqsilver

The combat isn’t very intriguing, but the story is entertaining. If the setting and plot interest you, it could provide hours of fun.  However, if you’re looking for pvp or a challenging experience I would wait for upcoming titles.

The problem with the combat is that its really easy to make a crappy deck, and invest in skills that dont synch well...and the result really is combat that is not fun.

Once you get the hang of how to make a proper deck the combat is a world of diffrence in how fun it can be, especially since you have the ability to really tailor the build to fit the type of combat you find the most fun.

I really can see how people would think combat is god aweful, not only was it pretty bad in beta compared to now, but also most people who took the free beta weekend as a preview had no idea how to make a proper build...almost no one did at that time, and the builds were restricted for the most part.

I still think that the PVP could be a sleeper aspect of the game...too early to tell and like most people im in this for the pve, hoping the pvp turns out to be better than most are assuming it will be.

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470
    Originally posted by Makmax6666

Despite the fact that i hate Funcom i can not help but voice out my 2 cents on the matter, so here are the questions that i would ask myself before anything else

-Is the game expensive? i would say yes compared to the MMO history we have seen so far

Its no more expensive than any other recent MMO.  The $50 box price is average and even less than other big name MMOs that charged $60, like SWTOR when it released and what GW2 now costs.  The sub fee is pretty standard, too, for sub based MMOs.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    Originally posted by Grand_Nagus

I'm waiting for F2P  :D

yeah, i know you love lock boxes !  image

• Atlan99Atlan99 Member UncommonPosts: 1,332

The story is more mature than most mmo's and written better as well. The main story alone is probably worth the box price. Hard to say if it will have staying power. Might depend on how fast Funcom can churn out content.

The combat is like the post written about it here on the forums. You are basically just spamming a couple buttons over and over. The skill wheel tends to repeat itself over and over. With a lot of useless skills. For instance you will encounter a skill on a higher ring that is same as on lower and it does less damage. So why would you even bother with it?

Fusang is joke. I wouldn't even bother with if it didn't give the best SP in the game. It's a constant zerg fest. CC and instagib. Haven't got around to Battleground PvP yet.

Overall I say the game is worth the box price if you buy it for the story and atmosphere. If you are looking for PvP look elsewhere.

• DanitaKusorDanitaKusor Member UncommonPosts: 556
    Originally posted by Atlan99

Fusang is joke. I wouldn't even bother with if it didn't give the best SP in the game. It's a constant zerg fest. CC and instagib. Haven't got around to Battleground PvP yet.

Battlegrounds are better. I'm a fan of Stonehenge that can be a real close challenge with the 3 factions duking it out in the centre of the map... especially with those sneaky Dragon always standing back and letting the Templar/Lumie war play out then jumping in to claim the prize.

The Enlightened take things Lightly

• ChtugaChtuga Member UncommonPosts: 116

Its absolutely worth subscribing to this game... :-)

There is a ton of happy people already playing it, and I can guarantee that you will have lots and lots of hours of entertainment, happiness, scratch your head, feeling like a noob, laughing out loud moments!

This game has alot of value and its really worth the money.

• red_cruiserred_cruiser Member UncommonPosts: 486

If I was looking for a "new" game to play mainly for the PvP, I guess I'd want to play TERA because of the more skill based gameplay, the world vs. world PvP and the factionless game world.  Either that, I'd probably check out the new three faction system in Rifts.

Taking WoW as an example, in PvE, only having 7 abilities to rotate around for a boss fight isn't really that out of the norm.  But it's the challenge of using two or three hot bars well in PvP that really allows the players to differentiate themselves.

With a 7 ability restriction in PvP for TSW, I sort of feel that there isn't much that will seperate the playstyles between the PvE or the PvP, outside of the fact that everyone is going to have a ton more CC on their ability bars for the PvP. 

And, while I like TSW so far, mainly because it's an MMO that is a greater sum than its individual parts, I get more enjoyment playing Champions Online and Dungeons and Dragons Online, mostly because advancing my character hasn't really been as interesting as I was hoping it would be.  TSW's flexibility seems mostly pointless, whereas CO and DDO have really flexible character building options. 

The problem with TSW is that I think they tried too hard to make sure that you couldn't gimp yourself in it, whereas you can have some epic character failures in CO or DDO.

• Entris38Entris38 Member UncommonPosts: 401

For me , Yes. For you..........who knows.

The PvP can be fun. The PVE can be challenging, not as simple as grabbing a quest and running off. I like how they make you read the quest, it's actually kind of funny watching someone grab a quest and run off and not realize they needed to pick up an item or investigate something.

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351

If your unsure wait 3-6 months until the game has established itself (or not) and then see where they are going with it.

Buying at release for me is a no-no nowadays, so many games go F2P or simply go rotten in their first 6 months, the mmorpg market is over-saturated with games and nowhere near enough long-term subscribers.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)